• Published 23rd Oct 2016
  • 1,726 Views, 32 Comments

Peace at Last Side Stories: the Trials and Tribulations of King Thorax - Prince_Staghorn



"My subjects, I am Thorax, king of the... um... okay, first act as king- what are we called now?"

  • ...
4
 32
 1,726

Bonus Trial: 20 Years After Metamorphosis

Mt. Grulesk, Carcosa

For thousands of years, Mt. Grulesk had been the seat of power for Equus' Dragon Lords. While the size was not as impressive as that of Mt. Chernabog, from whence the Dragon Emperor Ancalagon ruled over all the dragons of the world, and the treasure hoard within not as vast as that of Mt. Erebor, where the Dragon Vizier Smaug lounged and plotted against non-existent enemies, Grulesk was impressive enough in its own right, its twin peaks jutting into the sky visible for miles.

It was to here that the Aos Sí king (now 38 years old) had traveled alone, seeking to discuss a matter of grave importance with the Dragon Lord.

***

"All I'm saying," Thorax continued, "is that you're a bit too intense for a sweet guy like him."

"INTENSE!?!" shrieked Ember, flames flickering from between her clenched teeth.

The female Horned Drake- now 36 years old- was larger than Thorax, but sleek and lithe, well-toned svelte muscles showing under her brilliant sapphire scales. Her teeth were ivory white, and her eyes burned an intense scarlet.

"Yes, intense," Thorax replied, not wavering for an instant.

"I'm closer to his age than you are!" Ember countered, composing herself by only a fraction. "Plus I'm a dragon!"

Thorax rolled his eyes. "You're only two years younger than me. And he's younger than both of us. AND he was raised by ponies, and frankly I'm a lot closer to them than you are!"

Ember took a deep breath, calming herself.

"Okay," she said. "Before we go on, what exactly makes you think he's even... that way? I mean, until a few years ago he was spending a fair amount of time focusing his attention on a female unicorn."

Thorax shuffled his hooves. "Well... it's just a sort of feeling I have... I mean, I at least have to ask him..."

Ember considered this.

"I suppose that's fair enough. I mean, I still need to do the same thing... the asking, and... stuff. I'm not good at this..."

Thorax smiled. "Wouldn't it be funny if we both got yes for an answer?"

"It could happen," Ember replied. "Purple Drakes are monogamous by nature. If it happens that way, though, you and me are just staying co-mates. No intimate stuff."

"Do I still at least get a friendly hug from time to time?" Thorax asked with a smirk.

Ember smirked as she replied. "Don't push your luck, bugbutt."

With that, she took the Bloodstone Scepter in her claw, and focused on summoning a specific dragon.

***

In the 20 years since he had first met Thorax, Spike had grown into a fairly nice example of his species. Taller than most ponies, Celestia included, well-muscled, scales gleaming in the sunlight... there wasn't much point in denying it, he was handsome. The impressive wings he had gained at the onset of puberty were an additional bonus, and made travel a lot easier.

Over the course of many days he had flown over the Everfree Forest, crossing the Archenback Mountains into North Griffonia, and from there over the Hyperborean Mountains, finally reaching Carcosa.

Several adults on the mountains raised their heads, and seeing the new arrival, welcomed him in Draconic.

Draconic is a language unique in that it is sung rather than spoken, and so the welcome sounded like a hymn more than a greeting. However, the words, as best translated, were indeed just a simple greeting, welcoming the youngster.

However, other, older dragons instead greeted the setting sun, as they had done for centuries:

Along the shore, the cloud waves break
The bright sun sinks beneath the lake
The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

When night fell, they would sing a different part of the song, but no special greeting would be sung to welcome the dawn, since dragons like to sleep in.

Spike, for his part, sang a quick, formal greeting back to the elders, and then continued onward towards Mt. Grulesk.

He arrived there soon enough, landing and walking into the large cave. As the years had passed, he could only go on two legs for short amounts of time, and now mostly walked on all fours, as did many of the dragons he had met when he was younger.

Ember sat like a sphinx, the Bloodstone Scepter under one claw, and, to Spike's surprise, Thorax stood beside her.

Spike didn't bother with formalities. These were his friends, and there was no one else around.

"Hey guys. I'm kinda surprised to see you both here.... so what's up?"

Ember scratched behind her head. "Well... the thing is..."

Thorax awkwardly shuffled his hooves. "We were kind of wondering... well..."

"Yes?" Spike asked, tapping a claw on the stone floor.

Both the Dragon Lord and the Aos Sí king spoke the same thing at the same instant. "Maybe you'd like to go on a date some time?"

Spike was silent. Outside, the elders' voices echoed as they greeted the night with the rest of their song, casting a grim shadow of doubt on the situation.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
A strange moon circles through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Songs that the spirits shall sing,
Where flap the wingbeats of the King,
Must die unheard in
Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

The wind blew past, the final note to the dirge-like song echoing, the only noise in the cave. After several minutes, Spike finally spoke.

"Wow... uh... you know what, sure!"

Thorax and Ember were speechless, and their individual reactions to his answer were different.

For his part, Thorax was thrilled, his eyes watering with joy. Ember was more reserved, blushing but otherwise calm. Mentally, however, she had a distinctly non-traditionally-draconic urge to tackle the purple dragon and smother him with lovies.

She didn't need to act on her thoughts as Spike suddenly had them both in a massive hug.

Ember smiled and patted his head, her usual response to this situation.

Thorax however, practically went limp, overcome with emotion.

This had been, without a doubt, one of the most stressful days in his life, and he was glad it had ended happily.

Comments ( 28 )

Hazaa! I was afraid this would be done horribly but instead a got the best ending ever. Spike x Ember and Thorax. At fist I hated Spike x Thorax but now I'm an equal fan so bravo. Two ships that I like where I can decide how it continues. *random applause*

7663289 That was literally the hardest chapter for me to write! i'm glad you liked it!

figuring out exactly how his species works now.

Don't worry, Thorax. The show writers clearly have no idea themselves.

:trollestia:

7663862 thank goodness for the fandom

7663862 To be fair, we only saw them onscreen for about a minute. Maybe season 7 will have something ^.^

7664137 Maybe they'll explain what those things on Thorax' head are.

Male moth antenna would have looked better than pincer-like things that look drawn on by a grade-schooler.

7664592 Well they were glowing in the end bit when the whole group was facing down Chrysalis. Methinks they function like unicorn horns.

7664602 But he already has a horn.

7664674 Yeah, but it didn't seem to function like pony horns after his change. Maybe it's just cosmetic now.

7664674
7664679 Yeah, i was honestly confused about that too.

Plus did you notice some of them didn't even have horns after the metamorphosis?

7664690 I did! Though they all seemed to have those wing pod things on their carapace.

Ah well, we'll see what they do with them hopefully next season.

7664690 Oh wait, my mistake. Blame standard definition. Watching in HD, his horn AND antlers glow with magic.

We joked about Twilight getting more wings, but now a changeling has 3 horns! X3

7664797 I fix that in this story. Thorax only has 3 as long as he's in charge. It's a hormonal thing.

7664838 Yo, Prince! Remember me?

Good story, bro!

7665277 So in that last chapter Thorax is, uh, gay for Spike?

If that is what you were going for then...okay, cool stuff. Personally i thought they were just friends, but whatever man. Besides, at least this time Spike being in a gay relationship doesn't involve him being raped by other dragons or some weird crap like that.

Seriously, clopfics need to die in a hole right now so stories like this can occupy the feature box more often.

I liked this story, and i liked your vision of Thorax adjusting to the life and role of a King. I like the other bug-like races you introduce like the cockroach Samsa (did I get that right?) and the new Changelings being called the Aos SI (how DO you pronounce that name exactly?).

I give this story fifty-five Power Stars from Princess Peach's castle out of ten cats riding dogs.

7665430 By that point, Thorax has had 30 years to decide how he felt, but yes, he's gay for Spike

agreed on the clopfics

Yes, you did, and "ay-oss shee"

Thanks!

This THIS is so freaking funny and briliant!!!!! :pinkiehappy:
I realy needed something like this after my weekend.
And the endig is a bonus point :trollestia:

7681226 glad to see someone's familiar with the lore!

Comment posted by Prince_Staghorn deleted Jan 11th, 2017

7681240 let me guess, Past Sins?

What will you do if something like this happens in the next episode?

8369284 laugh until i'm out of breath

8369289 If anything, it would justify the interaction in this chapter- "we know each other, and we both like Spike, but we're not close friends of each other"

8369291
I'm realy looking forward for it.

Login or register to comment