• Published 23rd Oct 2016
  • 1,720 Views, 32 Comments

Peace at Last Side Stories: the Trials and Tribulations of King Thorax - Prince_Staghorn



"My subjects, I am Thorax, king of the... um... okay, first act as king- what are we called now?"

  • ...
4
 32
 1,720

Commerce

Fourteen Weeks After Metamorphosis

Things were not well in the kingdom of Sídhe, as the Aos Sí had taken to calling their land.

It was true, the integration of the Skyreapers and Dust Devils into the kingdom's defenses had cut back on the threat of rampant wildlife, and the Sluagh Sídhe- the name picked for the royal guard- was now well established, but one important factor had arisen.

The farms were not promising. The soil was proving to be detrimental to the crops, and what sprouts had appeared were malnourished. The Aos Sí had hoped they could be self-sufficient by autumn, but it appeared as though they would have to continue to rely on their neighbors, the Equestrians.

Thorax was not blind to the other problem this represented. No crops meant no exports, and thus no income to provide for his subjects. True, they were surviving by the good grace of the princesses, aided by the very repentant Emperor-in-Stead of Neighpon^, but the king could not help but feel that by this point they... well, he and his subjects were being freeloaders. They needed to give something back... the problem being they had no crops to trade, and no money to spend besides what Stag had referred to as a "starter fund"- supposedly enough bits to tide the kingdom over until they got a proper economy going.

With the crops seemingly failing, however, things were not as bright as they had been before, and Thorax had been awake for days wracking his brain, attempting to find a solution.

What could we offer in exchange for food, or at the very least some bits?

He continued thinking as he walked down the shifting hallways to the medical ward. He paused to exude some of the love he had stored, feeding those injured by either wild beasts or simple accident, giving simple, caring words, and then left again, when suddenly a thought emerged.

Love...

In spite of the announcement by the princesses explaining the Changeling's pardon, there was still some mistrust brewing on the part of the ponies, and changelings across Equestria were gleaning what they could from residual love in the air.

One thing Thorax and the other Aos Sí knew about their new biology and magic ability was that they could not only store and produce love, but could also somehow make it more potent, meaning it took less to actually fill them. It was simply another effect of the Metamorphosis.

I wonder...

As he passed the entrance to the throne room, he stopped to speak with the mare sitting at the desk near the door.

"Psyche, i'm going to need to cancel my appointments today. I have something I need to experiment on."

"Consider it done, sir. Does that mean I can take the day off?"

Thorax smiled apologetically. "I wish it did, but you need to inform anyone who shows up that I'm preoccupied. I'm sorry."

Psyche sighed. "It was worth a shot. Good luck on whatever you're doing."

Thorax nodded his thanks, and continued onward.

***

This was the seventh attempt. Thorax concentrated, willing the love to pour out in a small, steady stream and into the bottle in front of him. He had successfully attempted it the previous three tries, but had fumbled on the first three bottles, a blast of love accidentally shattering the first one.

The concentrated emotion went in with ease, and the bottle was corked. Three bottles full of a glowing whitish pink liquid now stood on the table.

Thorax smiled. This was perfect! These could be sold across Equestria, not only to feed changelings, but also as potion ingredients and as simple flavoring for baking^^.

It wasn't perfect yet, however. This was super concentrated love, and he was now wondering if it was possible for him to exude a more diluted form, or varying levels of potency.

This might take a while...

***

Fifteen Weeks After Metamorphosis

287 miles northeast of the kingdom of Sídhe

Queen Vespa was depressed. And, as usual, this meant she was drinking.

From her position nearby, Tulip looked at the changeling with her expressionless blue eyes, wings buzzing slightly, a slime-coated green egg passing out of the beebra's distended grey and yellow-striped abdomen. Vespa sighed.

"So, are you going to eat this one too?"

The beebra's tone was neutral. "Probably. Not that you really care at all."

"Let me be honest with you about something," Vespa replied. "I'm not sure how I feel about you anymore."

"I can tell you that there's enough love left for me to keep me from going hungry," Tulip countered, another egg passing out of her body.

Vespa was about to make another remark when her daughter entered.

Sketchy was in all respects a smaller, more stoutly built version of Vespa, differing only in the fact she had a blue mane and tail (both messy no matter how well she brushed them), as well as sapphire eyes. Vespa composed herself.

"Yes, Sketchy?"

The teenage changeling grinned.

"Thorax is here!"

Vespa fell out of her throne. "WHAT!?!"

Tulip blinked slowly, mildly surprised, but then simply lowered her head back onto a cushion, an eighth egg passing out of her. One grubling was as good as another, even if this particular one had abandoned what she thought of as her hive and his queen (meaning herself).

Vespa gathered herself up, grumbling. "Alright, show Mr. Big Shot in. Maybe he's finally going to apologize for abandoning his mother. And by that I mean me, since Queen Fatass here doesn't seem to get the whole 'mom' thing."

Sketchy hurried out, leaving the two alone again. Tulip closed her eyes, calmly breathing as yet another egg freed itself before replying.

"You can complain all you want, I'm just going to keep telling you my species is different and has a different standard of childcare."

"Meaning as many can die as they want, you'll just make more."

The beebra scratched an itch with one of her six legs. "Our son's outside the door."

Vespa turned.

"Thorax. You look... different."

Thorax attempted to hide his nervousness. "A lot has happened since I last saw you, Queen Vespa."

"Would it kill you to call me 'mom'?" Vespa muttered under her breath. "Alright, what brings you here?"

Thorax presented several unlabeled bottles, the liquids inside ranging from pale pink to a glowing white-pink. The scent was unmistakable, and even Tulip reacted, her eyes shooting open, head snapped up, instantly focused on the Aos Sí king.

Vespa was stammering. "Is... is that...?"

"Pure love," Thorax replied. "Turns out we can produce love of varying concentrations. At least, me and the rest of the Aos Sí- that's what we call ourselves now- can. We're willing to trade with you and other changeling kingdoms, given the... difficulty changelings are having lately."

Vespa's mind went into overdrive. This actually solved two problems for her.

"I agree. And in addition to what we'll pay, I'll also give you your newest siblings when we trade," she replied, pointing at where Tulip was seated. "There's the first 20."

Thorax was silent. "Um, that's not really..."

"If you don't take them," Vespa interrupted, "she'll end up eating them."

Thorax's reply was instantaneous.

"Deal! Don't even consider it a trade, just send them when you can!"

Vespa smiled. "You and Sketchy were always my favorites. You may have hatched from an egg, and she might have been the result of me just getting too drunk to care about anything one night, but you're both the smartest out of all of my children."

"Our children," Tulip interrupted, still focused on the bottles.

"Sketchy's only yours by unofficial marriage!" Vespa screeched, before turning back to Thorax and smiling. "Thank you for bringing these, and just for visiting."

Thorax gave a small nod. "I'll give you these, and take the eggs and bits now."

"Excellent," Vespa replied. "I hope we see you again soon."

Several minutes later, eggs and gold in tow, Thorax left the castle of his mothers, slightly more nervous than when he had arrived

Okay, the trade went well, and hopefully my emissaries made it to the other kingdoms and succeeded... but what am I supposed to do with these eggs!?!

Author's Note:

^Staghorn got a temporary position until such time as his mother was fit to re-take her authority.

^^Sometimes "made with love" is more than just an expression.