• Published 11th Sep 2016
  • 1,164 Views, 38 Comments

The Birthday Scam - Lise



Silver Spoon is having her birthday party at Princess Twilight's castle. It should be a dream come true, right?

  • ...
2
 38
 1,164

Silver Dreams

“Ridiculous!” Silver Spoon scoffed. The offer was too good to be true. If her father were here, he'd sit her down, fetch his pipe, adjust his spectacles, and then start one of his overly-long lectures.

"Daughter dear," he'd say as he took a puff from his pipe, pausing for effect. "What you've been presented with is a third rate scam. No pony in their right mind would allow you to have your birthday in Princess Twilight's castle for a hundred bits. Why, even assuming the place could be rented out, the price tag would be in the tens of thousands. No, you are simply the victim of a silly school prank."


Most definitely a school prank, Silver thought. She glanced at Diamond Tiara for support, but her friend was busy looking through the latest designer horseshoes from Manehattan. I wonder what she'd do? Probably laugh in Sweetie Belle’s face.

"Are you sure?" Silver Spoon’s ears moved back. As far back as she could remember, her birthdays had been boring: a stuffy dinner with her parents, a small, expensive gift—most often jewelry—wrapped meticulously in a silver box, and a long speech regarding her future. She would consider herself lucky to have Diamond Tiara over.

"Absolutely!" Sweetie Belle smiled. "I asked my sister, who asked Spike, who spoke with Twilight, and it's perfectly fine! We get to spend the whole night there!"

Silver Spoon squinted behind her glasses. Belle seemed a little too cheerful. Yes, her sister was close to the Princess, but did she have such sway? Princesses didn't just allow fillies to have parties in their castles. It would take tremendous amounts of planning, money, and effort to set this up. Silver Spoon should know; her father had spent half a year planning a reception for Equestria’s elite at Celestia’s Royal Palace, and the sums of money involved rose to the hundreds of thousands.

"Just to be clear... you are offering to have my birthday party at Princess Twilight's castle?" Silver Spoon tapped her chin, considering. Why am I hesitating? It's just bits. My monthly allowance is twice as much. "And you'll organize everything, food included?"

Sweetie Belle nodded eagerly. “Apple Bloom will talk to her sister after class. And you know Pinkie Pie is always ready to lend a hoof.”

Yes, that she is. Silver continued tapping her chin for several seconds more. It would be so nice to have actual cake, though. A cake of my own… really, that sounds too good to be true.

Silver turned to Diamond Tiara, who was still paging through the horseshoe catalogue.

“What do you think, Di?”

“What?” the pink filly hissed on instinct. Silver Spoon, however, was used to that particular reaction, so she didn't even flinch.

“My birthday?” Silver reminded, eyes level. “The one I'll be having tomorrow evening?” Diamond Tiara stared at her blankly. “Sweetie says that for a hundred bits she could get me to spend it with Princess Twilight at her castle. What do you think?”

“A hundred bits? Pfft!” Diamond Tiara waved a hoof as if she was addressing one of her maids. “The horseshoes I'm wearing are worth more than that!”

Sure they are. You always were terrible with money. “I was more interested if it's worth the risk, Di,” she said slowly, keeping her tone just a fraction short of expressing annoyance.

“Don't get your tail in a knot! Whatever Sweetie’s planned, it can't be worse than your normal birthdays.”

“Hey!” Sweetie Belle and Silver Spoon shouted simultaneously.

“Besides, it's only a hundred bits.” Diamond Tiara returned her attention to the horseshoe catalogue. “If you're short, I'll lend you some.”

Daughter dear,” Silver could hear her father addressing her sternly. “Never borrow money. Once you do you're putting yourself at another pony’s mercy, and that is a rotten foundation to start building your life on. Even if it's a temporary measure and you have the bits to pay your lender back, you’d best not fall into that trap. Remember, a lot of things might happen between the time you take the loan and the moment you pay it back.

“I'm fine, Di.” Silver Spoon adjusted her glasses. I’ll have to convince father to give me the rest of my monthly allowance. Daunting, but not impossible. “I could give you part of it now and the rest tomorrow.” She glanced at Sweetie Belle. “If I decide to take you up on your offer.”

"Oh, please say yes!" The unicorn hopped around the desk, making Silver Spoon already regret her decision. "You don't have a thing to worry about, we’ll take care of everything!"

"Marvelous." Silver Spoon sighed, then took a grey purse from her saddlebag. Money wasted, I'm certain. Father will be furious if he finds out. This was the worst investment she'd ever made. The risk factor was off the charts, there was no written contract, and the ponies involved were—

"This will be so great!" The filly snatched the purse and rushed off before Silver could say another word. In the blink of an eye, Belle had managed to get the other two Cutie Mark Crusaders, tell them of the result of the negotiations, and then gallop out of the classroom with them.

At least they seem enthusiastic about it, Silver Spoon thought. “Do you think I made a mistake, Di?”

“Nah.” Diamond Tiara didn't even bother to look in her direction. “It'll be fine.”

I hope Father thinks so. Silver gave the matter a few seconds more thought, then cast it out of her mind, focusing on the routine trivialities of the day. She arranged her books neatly on her desk, took out her quill case, adjusted her seat, and waited. Just a day much like any other. She told herself. I mustn't get my hopes up. High hopes always lead to unrealistic expectations, resulting in major disappointment. The more down to earth I remain, the lesser the likelihood I’ll end up upset. Although maybe—just maybe—tonight will be different.


Supper was as bland as it was expensive. Silver Spoon’s mother preferred to focus on nutritional values and refined presentation, rather than taste. Silver dutifully finished her food, wiped her muzzle clean with a silk napkin, and waited.

This would be a good time to ask. She glanced at her father. Father finished his meal, so he’s probably in a good mood. Also, if I ask now, Mother will voice her support. Silver pressed on the cushion with her forehoof, breathing steadily to increase her courage. She looked at her parents, wiped her lips with her napkin once more just in case, and—

“How was school, Silver?” her father interrupted before she could voice her question. “Anything out of the ordinary?”

“School was tedious as always, Father.” Silver Spoon wanted to bite her tongue. On the outside, however, she remained calm. “We had a test in mathematics. Cheerilee focuses too much on trigonometry and not enough on algebra.”

“That's good.” Her father took a sip from his cup of wine. “It is vital that you know the limitations of your surroundings. Every system has its shortcomings, either by design, shortsightedness, or lack of planning.”

I certainly feel limited now. Silver Spoon dared not look away. As much as she disliked the direction of the conversation, she had to fake interest, and fake it well.

“Those who spot the shortcomings, who thread their way through the loopholes, are those who make it in life,” her father continued. “At the moment you are dealing with school, but what is school of not another representation of society?” He took another sip of his cup, then placed in on the table, making a sign for the maid to take it away. “Always be mindful of everything, Daughter dear. Even the slightest detail could impact your future.”

Silver swallowed. Whatever confidence she had gathered evaporated in an instant with his speech. There’s no way I could ask now. He’ll see it as wasteful and stupid. Supper over, the filly asked to be excused and quickly retreated to her room. Financial books, toys, and seashells filled the space in a most unorthodox way. Her father had frowned upon her childishness, but her mother had agreed to allow Silver a few more years of childhood.

“You didn't even ask,” Silver stared into the large mirror by her bed. “Mother would have backed you up, as always. Father would grumble, but would go along with it.” She went to the bed and flopped onto it with a groan. “Now how do I pay for my birthday?”

There were still doubts lingering in her mind, but at this point curiosity and hope had overrun everything else. Diamond Tiara thought it was worth the risk, and despite her annoying nature, Sweetie Belle had as little malice as a baby bunny; it was inconceivable she would go through all this just to prank Silver on her birthday.

Laying on her back, Silver looked at the ceiling. Silver paint with golden stars scattered in a still image of the night sky. Very tasteful, very expensive, and deprived of fun—just like pretty much everything else in her life.

I’ll ask him in the study, the filly thought. He likes to relax with a good book and a bowl of wine before going to bed. If Father’s ever in a good mood, it would be then. Eighty bits. All she had to do was ask for eighty bits. Nothing more.

Two hours passed in the blink of an eye. Before Silver knew it, it was half past ten—the time her father went to his study. She was so tempted to postpone the talk for ten or even twenty minutes more, yet after a moment she gritted her teeth and wrested herself out of bed. Delaying is just another word for losing financial interest. She repeated her father’s words. The sooner one gets the facts, the sooner one can make a decision. Taking a deep breath, the filly left her room, quietly went down the stairs and along the corridor, and stopped in front of her father’s study. The massive oak door loomed before her like an impenetrable barrier. Adjusting her glasses, Silver knocked on the door with her hoof.

“Enter,” her father’s voice came from inside. Silver took another deep breath and did just that.

“Father,” she began, her pulse increasing with anticipation and fear. “Might I ask something?”

The older stallion looked at her from his reading cushion by the fireplace. His eyes narrowed a fraction as he let out a clear sigh.

“What is it, Silver?” He didn't close his book; apparently, he wanted the conversation to be brief.

Silver went straight to the point. “Could I have the rest of my allowance now?”

Her father arched a brow, closed the book he was reading—marking his progress with a leather bookmark—and placed it on the table nearby.

“Why?” he asked, taking his bowl of wine with one hoof.

“Circumstances have occurred requiring that I have the bits disposable tomorrow morning,” Silver replied in a single breath. She had practiced this several times in her mind.

“Circumstances…” Her father tapped his chin with his free hoof.

She nodded twice. “They were quite unforeseen.”

“I see.” The stallion took a few sips from the bowl, then placed it back on the table. “And they have nothing to do with your upcoming birthday?”

Silver froze. Her mane raised on edge as if she had set hoof in a pool of ice cold water. It’s just a coincidence. There were bound to be questions. My birthday is just the only significant event that takes place to—

“Or spending it in Princess Twilight’s castle?” His brows went down, further deepening his frown.

Horseapples! Fear filled Silver’s eyes.

“Oh, don't look so surprised,” her father half-snorted. “Your friends came to me offering the same scam while you were at school.” The blood drained from Silver’s face. “Asked that I allow you to spend your birthday there. Assured me that they would take care of everything—food, location, decorations.”

You idiots! Silver bit her lip. Of all the idiotic things, you actually went to talk to my father? Sweetie, you're worse than when you were a blank flank! It's bad enough coming to me with that ridiculous idea, but to talk to my family… Shivers ran down her spine.

“Daughter dear, it seems you have forgotten everything I taught you.” Her father sighed. “No doubt you thought that for such a ridiculously small amount of money, you could take a chance? That even if you lost it—which you undoubtedly will—no harm would come of it? There's a word for that, my dear, and that word is gambling. Scammers, be they doing it intentionally or not, make use of that to take your bits. What if somepony tomorrow makes you an offer for a thousand bits? Or ten thousand? Would you take the chance?”

“I-I-I have evaluated the situation, and the risk is acceptable,” Silver stammered. “Sweetie Belle’s sister is an Element of Harmony and a personal friend of the Princess—”

“And Diamond Tiara comes from new money,” her father finished the sentence, causing Silver’s jaw to fall open for a second. Di, you traitor! “How naive of you to think that would have any bearing on the matter. Mayor Mare has been trying to schedule a meeting with Princess Twilight for weeks and still hasn't been able to find a sliver of time in her highness’ schedule. Yet here you are, believing that she'd free a whole evening just for you?” He shook his head, took another sip of his wine bowl, then put it back in place. “Daughter dear, you continue to persist with this fantasy world of yours. Despite what your childish books claim, pragmatism runs the world, not good intentions.”

Silver Spoon remained silent. Too afraid to look away, she focused on her father’s muzzle, hoping to avoid his glance.

“Eighty bits, was it?” Her father took his book from the table, opening it at the page he had reached. “You'll find that amount on the desk.”

“What?” Surprise mixed with shock made Silver’s inner filly emerge, peeking through the years of etiquette training.

“I'm giving you a choice.” Her father’s attention was once more focused on his book. “You can take the bits and give them to your friends, pursuing your ridiculous fantasy.” He paused dramatically, turning the page. “Or you can come home and spend your birthday with your mother and I, as we do every year.”

Silver Spoon looked at the desk opposite the fireplace. The bits were there, neatly stacked near the edge.

“In either case, dearest, you must live with the consequences.”


Silver Spoon was early to school. She told herself it was a day like any other—convinced herself that there was nothing special about it, no reason to get excited—and yet still she couldn't stop the feeling of anticipation that brewed within her.

Birthday! My first birthday celebration! she thought as she paced in front of the building. Technically, it wasn't her first celebration—Silver Spoon’s cuteceñera had coincided with her birthday, making for the greatest party she had seen, outside of those at Diamond Tiara’s mansion. Yet at the same time, there was no guarantee this party at the castle would actually happen. Just because she managed to claim her allowance from her father didn't amount to much.

What if it really is a scam? Silver froze in place, and her ears flopped as she considered the possibility.

Daughter dear,” her father’s voice rang inside her head. “The sensation you are experiencing is ‘buyer's remorse.’ It isn't rare that a pony wraps the object of her desire with an aura of brilliance: a new toy, the latest fashion horseshoes, a limited edition drink. Yet all those are nothing but cheap tricks and amateur level scams meant to provide the victim with just enough want to buy it. When she does, however, the allure fades away, revealing the harsh reality of the matter—one more has joined the ranks of the tricked.

“Silver Spoon?” a voice asked.

Silver’s ears perked up almost as fast as she hopped off the ground. Her instinct yelled out for her to scream, yet years of discipline and training reduced that to a few seconds of silent stillness.

Cheerilee trotted up alongside her. “Are you all right, dear?”

Of course I get to embarrass myself in front of my teacher. Thanks, Sweetie, for filling my head with a load of useless dreams. You’d better deliver your part!

“Good morning, Miss Cheerilee.” Silver smiled, whooshing her tail. “I was just a bit restless this morning so I came to school a tad early.” Forty-seven minutes to be exact.

“Oh, of course.” The teacher nodded with a smile, and patted Silver on the head, very much to the filly’s annoyance. “How silly of me. Of course you'd be excited. Today is your birthday, isn't it?”

“Yes, Miss Cheerilee.” Silver Spoon watched as the mare unlocked the school door.

Typically naive of you to take my words at face value. Nopony is excited about my birthdays; they are always the most boring. As much as Silver hated to admit, even Diamond Tiara—her best friend—would rather find an excuse to do something else than attend her “party.” Her birthday at school was even worse. There were no candies or party favours, or anything remotely marking the occasion. At most somepony would approach Silver, asking cheekily if today was her birthday, only to receive a calm “yes” in response.

“I know you're probably looking forward to tonight.” Cheerilee gave her a stern look as she opened the door. “But I hope that doesn't affect your behaviour in class.”

“Huh?” Silver Spoon’s glasses slid down her muzzle. Don't tell me that—

“I'm just teasing.” The teacher laughed. “Who won't be looking forward to having her birthday in Princess Twilight’s castle? Just try not to do anything too wild, all right?”

She knows… Silver Spoon grumbled something under her breath, then begrudgingly followed Cheerilee into the classroom. All the anticipation had completely made her forget how much she disliked school. History was her least favourite subject and—if her father was to be believed—the most useless. Dragging behind her teacher, Silver sat at her desk and waited.

If Miss Cheerilee knows, then all of Ponyville must have heard. Silver slid her hoof along the desk. Her eyes turned towards her saddlebag for a moment. The bits were there, arranged neatly in her purse. This better not be another trick, you ex-blank fl—

“You're here!” a voice chirped, followed by the sound of hooves as Sweetie Belle galloped to Silver’s desk. “I… I… thought…” The unicorn gasped for air, trying to catch her breath.

“That's a first,” Silver Spoon said under her breath, rolling her eyes. It’ll happen. She'll tell me it's all been a joke and that I'll never see my twenty bits ever again. Not that I'll be surprised. I always knew that the Blank Flank club couldn't do anything right.

“I'm sooo glad I caught you here!” Sweetie managed to say in intelligible fashion. “Sis talked to Spike and he got Twilight to agree!”

“Well, I'm hardly surprised… wait, huh?” Even her years of etiquette lessons proved unable to keep Silver Spoon from gaping. What did you say? This is actually happening? Instantly she forgot how mad she was about the Cutie Mark Crusaders bringing the subject to her father, or for telling Cheerilee for that matter. The birthday party—her birthday party—was actually happening!

“Well, to be honest, I was a teensy bit worried…” Sweetie Belle smiled sheepishly, looking away. “There was one thing I wasn't sure about…” She shuffled her legs. “Oh, did you get the rest of the bits? We really, really need them now.”

Oh, right. That. Maintaining a facade of pure scorn, Silver opened her saddlebag, took out her purse, opened it with an audible sigh, then—after counting the bits slowly and audibly—gave them to Sweetie Belle. On the inside, however, she was hopping with joy.

“Great!” The unicorn grabbed the bits as Silver was opening her mouth. “Oooh, you'll have the best birthday party ever!” She dashed towards the door. The phrase made Silver’s heart jump. According to her father, whenever somepony makes a grand promise, it's a definite sign that things are headed for a catastrophic failure.

Nonsense! She started taking out her textbooks. I’m just nervous, that's all. I'm confident everything will be perfectly fine.


"What do you mean, Princess Twilight isn't here?" Silver Spoon shouted, staring blankly at Sweetie Belle. After everything she had been through—the nerve wracking talk with her father, the heart-racing anticipation, the flurry of jokes at school—it had turned out that the Princess wasn't going to attend?

"Weeeell, she had to go to the Crystal Empire to see her niece." Sweetie Belle smiled sheepishly. "But she let us have your birthday there! Isn't it great? We can explore the entire castle! Even the map room!”

"Princess Twilight's castle..." Silver said weakly. The castle, Princess Twilight not included. I should have seen it sooner. Father was right all along! I should have paid more attention to the fine print. I should have asked more questions. Her ears drooped.

"Remember, Daughter dear," Silver could hear her father's voice say. "Stupid is what stupid gets. It's not the swindler who's to blame. It's those who let themselves be cheated. You knew this could never be true, that no princess would possibly find the time to spend with you—a pony whose name she doesn't even know—and yet you chose to believe nonetheless. Those who blindly chase dreams are bound to end up in the mud. You and you alone bear the responsibility of this failure."

"So, umm, do you like it?" Sweetie Belle moved a step closer. “Diamond Tiara said you were all about fancy and expensive stuff…”

"Well..." Silver Spoon took a deep breath. "When you said I'd have my birthday in Princess Twilight's castle, I thought I'd actually be spending it with the Princess." She raised her head, looking down on her friend. "Not trot about an empty building with ponies I see at school all day! Honestly, I was an idiot to think this could be anything but a scam!" Silver stomped on the ground loudly with her hoof, causing Sweetie to back away, ears flat on her head. “Not only that, but you went to talk with my father! Of course he'd see that it was impossible! I bet the only reason he let me go through with it was to—” Silver Spoon abruptly stopped. It finally dawned upon her.

Oooh. I see how it is, now. Silver’s frown vanished, replaced by a barely visible smile. All this time, she—as well as her father—had been so busy focusing on the obvious that they hadn't perceived Sweetie Belle’s real intention.

“This was a scam all along, wasn't it?” Silver asked calmly. “That's why you asked for a hundred bits and happened to mention it to my father.”

It all seemed surprisingly clear now, so much so that Silver was ashamed she hadn't come up with the idea herself. The bits never were intended for the castle; they were to get my father’s attention. Di must have told you he’d do anything just to prove me wrong, even if it meant letting me escape the stuffy boredom that passed for a party and spend it with my friends. Silver could imagine him now, sitting at the dining room table, sipping expensive wine, eating exquisite yet bland food, all the while proud of the fact that he had let his daughter pay to have a princessless party. What would he say if he found out he had been scammed by a bunch of schoolfillies?

Well, Father, I guess you showed me. Silver smirked. You're just too good at spotting scams. I guess I have no choice but to spend the entire evening in the castle, having fun with my friends.

"So we have the castle for the entire evening?" She looked at Sweetie Belle with a spark of filly mischief in her eyes, and the white filly’s ears perked up. “And all the chocolate and sugar we could eat?"

Sweetie Belle nodded. “Pinkie Pie brought a chocolate fountain for free. Though we got into an argument with the girls and forgot about the birthday cake…” She looked down. “We did buy all the ice cream from Sugarcube Corner—”

“The cake doesn't matter.” You always manage to mess up something, don't you? Silver Spoon shook her head, then took a step forward, and without a moment's warning hugged Sweetie. “Thank you,” she whispered. “Thank you for the best Birthday Scam ever!”

Comments ( 38 )

Aww such a clever scam.

whoa......... cool...........i dunno wat to say XD but this is goin on my favorites

I like the way you get into her fathers head! My biggest takeaway from this story is that her father sees no value in learning from history!

Minor edits: [the typos have been vanquished!]

7556319 :) Belle is a cunning one :P

7556326 :) Thank you! Glad you enjoyed :D

7556422 :D Her father could be short sighted :) Glad you enjoyed and huge thanks for finding all those :))

7556455
I'm always available on short notice for a final polishing pass, drop me note next time.

7556513 :) Thanks!

OK, This is gonna sound stupid, but I don't really get the scam...

Also, I can't be the only one who wanted to whack Silver's father over the head with a rolled-up newspaper.

7556579 :) The scam is tricking her father to think she's scammed so that he'll let her spend her birthday with her friends

Hmm... Which newspaper? A financial one, hopefully :P

Very nice. This was expanded wonderfully from the Writeoff entry, giving us the full context necessary to understand what that only hinted at. Excellent work all around. Even when I knew the ending—or thought I knew the ending—this still surprised me with both the plot and the depth thereof. Thank you for it.

Also, I do find it interesting how both Silver and her father assume castle = princess. That was never part of the deal. At least, not the parts of it we saw. Still, both clearly have a nasty tendency to make unfounded assumptions, even if the elder tries not to.

Aw, this is great!

7556596

Thanks for clearing that up. ^_^

And sure; whichever paper is thickest.

Sweetie is a sly one. She never mentioned Princess Twilight was going to be there.

It's a Stupid Scam.

The only thing I dont understand is why did she have to pay for her own Birthday Party?

7556659 Thanks :D Always great to hear from you :) Very glad things are a bit clearer in the long version.
Tried to fill in the blanks of the WriteOff (and hopefully explain things better :)

On another note, sorry for Complete Surrender. It might have been a bit too dark

And, yes, you were right :) My take was that they both were so dazzled by the prospect that they didn't consider the fine print :)

See you in the next WriteOff :D

7556699 :) Thankee :) Glad you enjoyed the update :)

7556800 :D If anyone could become the new Princess Platinum, I bet it's her. :)

7557946 Aww... Well, it still worked? O:)

7558453 :) It was more to get her father to notice. The castle was free, and her bits—along with everyone else's—went for ice cream and streamers. :)

7558479 Ah ok :3 that makes a little more sense

This was cute. How many ponies can say that the Princess let them have her castle all to themselves for an entire night? Sounds like a win to me. :twilightsmile:

So, was Sweetie actually scamming Mr. Spoons, or did she honestly ask him because she thought he'd come up with the money on the spot? 'Cause I could see it going either way.

7559743 :) Hey hey :D Well, it is a win, though if one intially thought she'd be spending time with Twilight, having to "just" be in her castle would seem like a letdown.

7560506 She just wanted to get his attention. :)

Aww, I'm so glad Silver got to have a nice birthday party for once!

Well written, I found it to be an enjoyable read!

7600621 :) Thank you. She deserves it :D

This version definitely makes the story clearer, especially the (originally) confusing ending. The little snippets of her father’s advice was a nice addition. Overall, I found reading it enjoyable as well. :twilightsmile:

7621522 :) You softy :P

Smart idea on Sweetie's part- reverse psychology for the win!

I liked this take on Silver Spoon's family. Don't think I'd ever seen one quite like it before.

7841361 :D Thanks. Sweetie Belle = cute but deadly :)

7857037 :D Glad you liked this fic as well :D

Send 100 dollars US to my PayPal at 1j2a@outlook.com and I will send you a diamond - encrusted Diamond Tiara statuette*!


*No real diamonds included, statuette made of cardboard with white sequins

With Pinkie helping, it'll be a party worth remembering.
Silver's parents can have their bland, under-cooked, rich-pony dinner. Silver's going to have ice cream, chocolate, and party games!

...And maybe they'll play with the magic table in the throne room. :twilightoops:

Login or register to comment