• Published 17th Feb 2016
  • 1,519 Views, 57 Comments

Canterlot's Newest Star - BudCharles



Scootaloo becomes a schoolyard celebrity - but can she put her popularity aside to help a young changeling in need?

  • ...
1
 57
 1,519

Show Starters

“And then he turned into a dragon! It was so cool! Pupa is the best friend ever!”

Rainbow Dash tried to not giggle at her over-enthusiastic sister. “What about Applebloom and Sweetie Belle?”

“Oh, right... Pupa is the equal best friend ever!” Scootaloo corrected herself, leaping into the air with just as much energy as before. “I can’t wait to show him my scooter today!”

Rainbow Dash’s face was suddenly overtaken by a frown. “Um… Scoots… today is the show, remember? You’re not going to school today.”

“But I promised…”

“Sorry little buddy. It’ll still be fun, right?” Rainbow Dash asked hopefully.

“Of course... I get to watch my awesome sister… and stuff”, Scootaloo lied, before quietly slipping back to her room, her ears down and her tail between her legs.


--✈--


“I can’t just tell you where somepony’s - um - someling’s parents live, Wonderbolt or not”, the school secretary told Rainbow Dash dismissively in a thick Canterlot accent, before levitating the glasses back onto his nose and turning towards a pile of paperwork.

“Come on, it’s not like I wanna rob them or anything, I just want to ask if Pupa can tag along. Scoots was so happy about meeting him today, and -”

“I said no, Rainbow Dash. Good day.”

“Well, can you ask them for me then?”

“I’m getting paid to keep this school running, not to help ponies invite their friends to acrobatics shows.”

Acrobatics? Excuse me, it’s a flying show! W-”

Good day.

Rainbow Dash gave the secretary a dissatisfied snort and stormed off. No pony stopped her being a good sister.

She returned a few minutes later, carrying a decree from Princess Twilight Sparkle.


--✈--


“This is so so so cool!” Scootaloo squeaked as she climbed onto her seat. Pupa nervously scampered onto the seat next to her.

The noise of the crowd was deafening for the little changeling - they weren’t being particularly rowdy, but thousands of ponies casually chatting at once was still quite something. The scent of cider and hayburgers drifted through the air, overcrowding it almost as much as the ponies themselves.

“Pupa, you okay?”

Scootaloo turned to see Pupa attempting to hide behind his transparent wings. He nodded unconvincingly.

“You don’t have to lie, I get scared of stuff too” Scootaloo said with a smile, wrapping her arm around Pupa.

Pupa smiled back. “Th-thanks Scootaloo. It is pretty noisy. You ponies are really loud.”

Right on cue, Scootaloo squealed out “OHMYGOSHRAINBOWDASH” at the top of her voice! Her wings started buzzing, and she almost fell snout-first onto the next row of seats.

Pupa stared wide-eyed at his friend. He wondered if she was broken or something.

Down in the stadium below, Rainbow Dash and three other Wonderbolts - Fleetfoot, Soarin and Spitfire by the looks of it - began walking out into the centre of the grassy field, waving at the cheering crowd. Above them sat a labyrinth of ramps, hoops (on fire of course) and stormclouds, that put the school foals’ course to shame.

The crowd finally settled down when Spitfire walked up to a microphone, and began speaking.

Some light muttering was heard, followed by Spitfire tapping the microphone slightly too hard, sending it crashing to the ground with an ear-piercing shriek. She rushed to pick it back up.

“Woops!” Spitfire laughed, the crowd chuckling along with her.

“What I was meaning to do was to say how awesome it is to be here in Canterlot!” She added, getting a massive roar of support from the crowd. “You all looking forward to the show?”

More roaring.

“Great! Well, we’d better get on with it then!”
Spitfire turned to her fellow Wonderbolts and quietly asked something. They nodded, Spitfire took off, and the show began.

Pupa couldn’t believe his eyes as the Wonderbolts soared into the air, spinning wildly as they zoomed past each other. He covered his eyes a couple of times when it seemed like the flyers were about to crash, only to see them zip past each other with perfect timing as he peeked out through his leg holes.

Then, it was time for the obstacle course. Spitfire led the way, living up to her name as she raced through the hoops, leaving a trail of flames in her wake. Rainbow Dash was next, making sure to spin around every hoop twice to show off just how awesome she was.

As the others made their way through the hoops, Rainbow and Spitfire took on the thunderclouds, bouncing off each one and setting off a series of huge lightning strikes. It seemed as if they were racing each other, seeing who could make the most noise the fastest, but it soon became apparent they were working together.

“Whoa!” Pupa gasped, his eyes larger than usual, watching on as the clouds began to join into a massive cluster above the stadium, like a changeling army in the distance.

“I know right? This is so cool!” Scootaloo answered, standing up on his seat to get a better view, with a massive smile plastered on her face.

Fleetfoot and Soarin joined in with the giant thundercloud, flying round and round the edge. The cloud began to form into a funnel shape, and Spitfire and Rainbow Dash started flying away.

“What are they doing?” Scootaloo thought out loud.

A few seconds later, the answer became apparent. The two pegasi zoomed straight into the cloud, a massive trail of fire behind them, before racing out of the top. Seconds later, a massive tornado of fire was spinning in the centre of the stadium.

Pupa and Scootaloo were practically glued to the row of seats in front of them as they leaned forwards to get a better view.

The four Wonderbolts flew around the tornado, making it faster and faster, larger and larger, until Rainbow Dash left the group, and flew straight up into the sky.

Scootaloo knew what was about to happen…

Seconds later, Rainbow Dash went hurtling straight into the centre of the storm, and the entire thing exploded in a brilliant rainbow-coloured flash! The Wonderbolts regrouped above what was now a big patch of charcoal in the middle of the stadium and bowed, and the audience went crazy!

Rainbow Dash seemed to whisper something to Spitfire before the ‘victory lap’, and Spitfire nodded and smiled. With that, the Wonderbolts zoomed around the edge of the stadium, high-hoofing the masses of fillies and colts gathering in the front row. After a full lap, Rainbow Dash broke away from the group, and flew up in the direction of Pupa and Scootaloo.

“Hey, Scoots, Pupa, want a ride?” Dashie offered.

The two foals’ eyes lit up, and they jumped up onto Rainbow’s back.

“Alright, hold on tight!”

With that, Rainbow Dash took off, flying full-speed towards the stadium floor. Pupa closed his eyes and held on to Scootaloo, who was whooping with delight. Just millimetres from the ground, Rainbow turned 180 degrees and zoomed straight back up.

“That was so cool!” Pupa squeaked.

This is officially the best day of my entire life, ever!” Scootaloo added.


--✈--


“Did I tell you you’re the best sister ever?” Scootaloo asked as she skipped along behind Rainbow Dash on platform one of Canterlot Train Station, Pupa following closely behind them.

“Only about twelve times,” Rainbow laughed.

The two ponies’ ears lifted up at the rumbling sound of a train approaching.

“That’ll be us. Better say bye to your buddy, Scoots.”

“Will we get to see him again? He still needs to see Sweetie Belle, and Applebloom! And I still haven’t showed him my scooter!”

Rainbow Dash gently petted Scootaloo’s head. “Don’t get your tail in a twist, you can come back in the holidays, ‘kay?”

Scootaloo nodded, and turned to his new friend. “Bye Pupa!”

“Bye!” Pupa called out, waving as Scootaloo hopped on board the train, and continuing to wave as the train made its way back out of the station.

As soon as Scootaloo was out of sight, his head drooped down again. This was going to be a long term...

“Hey, Pupa” a familiar voice called from behind the changeling. It was one of the pegasi from school.

Pupa nervously tried to slip away. If he could just get outside the station, his mother would be waiting for him. He’d be safe with her.

“Pupa, wait up!”

The little changeling sighed. There was no getting out of this.

“Can I hang out with you?”

“Wait… what?” Pupa asked, baffled.

“I said, dweeb - I mean, uh, Pupa - can I hang out with you? I saw what happened at the show, Rainbow Dash chose to take you for a ride, out of all the fillies and colts in the stadium. You must be pretty awesome.”

“Thanks for the offer, but… I think I’d rather not.”

“Look, I know my friends and I were, well, jerks. But seeing what Scootaloo did made me realise what jerks we were being. Can you just… give me another chance?”

“Alright. Deal!”

The pegasus smiled, somewhat awkwardly - he hadn’t practiced for a while. “So, what stuff do you do then? Got any hobbies?”

“Uh… I like drawing… I guess?”

“Cool. The best thing I can draw is a pair of sunglasses!”

The two of them giggled as they headed for the front door of the station. Perhaps this would turn out okay after all.

Author's Note:

Well that certainly took long enough XD Sorry ^^;

Hopefully this chapter isn't too disjointed. I was forced to stop and start working on it several times over the last few weeks due to interruptions from school and family.

Anyway it's still nice and cutesy :scootangel:

I'm hoping to get a one-shot story done over the next week and a half, then school starts again so the pace of uploads might be quite slow, but I will try to do something.

Comments ( 10 )

“I know right? This is so cool!” Scootaloo answered, standing up on his seat to get a better view, with a massive smile plastered on his face.

Whoa, Scoots got so excited her gender changed! :pinkiegasp: :rainbowlaugh:

7118535 *facepalm* Why do I keep doing this?

7118429 Maybe one day XD I think I'm all Scootaloo'd out at the moment ^^;

that part with dashy and the school pony that was funy

7118645 At least for Pupa it's plausible.

Nice ending. It pays to have friends in high places.

Pupa would have it easy with the Crusaders, tree sap is much easier to wash off of chitin.

Rainbow Dash gave the secretary a dissatisfied snort and stormed off. No pony stopped her being a good sister.

She returned a few minutes later, carrying a decree from Princess Twilight Sparkle.

im sorry but your denial was DENIED

Above them sat a labyrinth of ramps, hoops (on fire of course) and stormclouds, that put the school foals’ course to shame.

TO SHAME.

7171693 I like it XD You should have written the story XD

Login or register to comment