• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 1,954 Views, 61 Comments

Blood Ties - bestponydash



Twilight and her friends are quickly summoned to Canterlot where a hooded stranger is attacking the princesses. Normally this wouldn't seem that out of the ordinary, but something tells Twilight that Celestia and Luna aren't telling her everything.

  • ...
10
 61
 1,954

Blood Ties

"Spike...please." Twilight had her hooves on the dragon's shoulders, pleading with him. Taking revenge was something she had not taught him, she discouraged him from believing in it as a legitimate answer. He was to be a gentle dragon, not like most of his kind; he would be just and take value in life and friendship. Revenge was for those who either enjoy hurting others, or have lost who they really are. Twilight did not believe her friend was that for gone; he couldn't change so drastically in a few days. Of course, she understood what Corona did was monstrous and she did not expect Spike to forget. But the thought of this little boy she had helped raise becoming something else, something hateful, it made her heart ache. So she begged him to find the strength to stay with her.

Spike held his eyes closed, thinking on this decision. After at least a few minutes, Spike finally huffed a deep breath and looked Twilight in the eyes. He raised his arms and removed Twilight's hooves from his shoulders. Spike cleared his throat and walked passed the purple pony and to Lennox. Twilight and the rest of the mane six gasped and hung their heads low, their ears dropped. Spike looked up at the pony who had been hurt by Corona the most besides himself. Spike's gaze was hard and unmoving; pain and conflict had chipped away the weakness of his personality. He now knew better than ever that he was not a pony. He did not believe in a philosophy of unlimited forgiveness; always hoping that his enemies would someday see the truth and become reformed. Corona did not deserve to be reformed, he did not deserve to experience friendship and compassion. But Spike also knew that he was not entirely a proper dragon either. He did not seek isolation from his kin, he did not enjoy blindly hurting creatures smaller or weaker than he, and he did not hate those he did not know.

For these past few days, Spike followed others and listened to what they wanted him to believe. He had been manipulated, used, treated like an object to be bartered with. He had seen new feats of evil and vengeance, as well as hope and love. The little dragon decided here and now that he was done following others, believing what they believe because he is told to. Spike was not a pony, not a dragon; he was a dragon living amongst ponies. From now on, his personality would show both halves of who he was, and so would this decision.

"I will not go with you," he told Lennox, "I can't trek all around Equestria and who knows where else on a long search for revenge. I just don't have that much hate in my heart." Lennox sighed but gave a gentle nod. Then Spike suddenly pointed a claw at the pony, causing him to take a step back in surprise, "But I will say this: when you find Corona Blaze, I want you to bring him to me. I want him to understand what he did, and he will be sorry for all of it."

The room fell silent at Spike's words; Twilight stared at him with widened eyes. "Then?" Lennox asked.

Spike lowered his claw, "Then...I will decide what to do with him, no one else."

With these words, Twilight understood that Spike was no longer just a baby to be taught and guided. He was not someone who needed to be shown the truth or told of the ways of the real world. Lennox nodded, "Understood." He looked to Luna, then to Celestia, "I...am sorry." He lit his horn and cleared his throat, "I will return when I have him in chains." Luna took a step toward him, almost reaching a hoof out to stop him from going. But she did not; she knew she couldn't persuade him. The two had waited centuries to truly be together again; what was a little while longer. That is what they both told each other as Lennox disappeared from the room; his new quest had begun.

The ponies knew now that there was nothing more they could do. No one knew how long it would take for Lennox to find Corona and bring him to justice. So, for now, this story seems to be over. It was a bit strange; do they simply leave and go on with their lives? The things they found out in this endeavor were big, Spike had changed a lot, Twilight and Spike's relationship had been tested like never before. How can they just leave it at that and wait for the final result.

But this train of thought was interrupted by Spike himself. He turned back to Twilight, "I wanna go home now," he said.

Twilight slowly walked to him and put a hoof around him; Spike took it in his claw, "Okay," she said softly. Twilight addressed everypony else in the room, waiting for her to tell them what to do next. "I have no doubt that Lennox will find Corona and bring him to...justice. Until then, I think we should all go home and try to enjoy ourselves as best we can after everything that's happened."

And like many encounters with the ponies' villains, this series of events has ended with them running away to plan their next attack, while the mane six returned to Ponyville.

Twilight led Spike into the castle and to his room. The dragon looked around at the crystalline walls, his bed, the window beaming light into the space, all of it. The dragon took a few steps in and suddenly dropped to his knees; Twilight ran to him and embraced him in her hooves. Spike buried his face in Twilight's chest as she held him tight, "I'm sorry, Twilight. I ran away from you; I thought..."

"No, Spike. I am sorry; I should have told you everything from the beginning of this. It's my fault you went through everything you did." Her face grew wet as tears dropped from her eyes.

Spike lifted his head as his eyes leaked as well and looked at Twilight, "You have always been my family. You are my mom, my dad, my sister..."

Twilight smiled through her tears, "I love you, Spike." And the two hugged again, embracing each other and vowing never to doubt their relationship ever again.


FIN

Author's Note:

Opinions in the comments :twilightsmile::heart::moustache:

Comments ( 8 )

This was a very well made story. Have you a sequel planned for it?

9231644
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
If enough people want to see a continuation, I perhaps could show Lennox's adventure tracking down Corona with help from the mane six and Spike; along with Corona's judgment. Though as of right now, I have not put much thought into it; the story was more about Twilight and Spike's relationship and characters.

9231652
Fair enough. I just wanted to see some catharsis for Spike here.

After 2 years we come to the conclusion of a great story. But for now when one ends, an even greater story is waiting to begin.






You get a like in my opinion and I hope for a sequel about the aftermath

9231652
I think I would definitely be interested in reading about that. :twilightsmile:

I really enjoyed reading this story.

Spike should seek Justice not vengeance, but what form of justice that remains to be seen.

Great chapter and I love how it ended. Somewhere in the middle that is for sure where I see Spike falling in all of this

9231652
Please do. This was a really good story, and I would very much like to see it through to the end! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment