• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 1,954 Views, 61 Comments

Blood Ties - bestponydash



Twilight and her friends are quickly summoned to Canterlot where a hooded stranger is attacking the princesses. Normally this wouldn't seem that out of the ordinary, but something tells Twilight that Celestia and Luna aren't telling her everything.

  • ...
10
 61
 1,954

The Other Journal

Spike diligently tailed Twilight from the shadows until she arrived at Celestia's bedroom. She pushed open the door with a gentle nudge and crept inside. Spike was confused to say the least; did Twilight intend to confront Celestia about this whole situation? She was unwilling to tell the truth before, why would it be different know? It had to be those books Twilight found; Spike had to get his claws on them. So, he followed her into the darkness and hid in the corner of the room. Twilight crept along steadily until she was over the princess of the sun. Celestia's chest rose and fell in heightened intervals and her brow creased as her head turned this way and that; light illuminated the bed and Celestia's twisting body. There was a pause before a ray of magic traveled passed her face and targeted her pillow, quickly retreating back into the darkness thereafter.

"Huh?" Spike whispered. Twilight appeared to touch Celestia's pillow with her magic, but why? Did she do something to the princess of the sun? Spike had too many questions to attempt to solve the mystery by himself. He followed his friend back out from the bedroom and all the way to the canterlot library, where few ponies would venture this hour. He stayed near the entrance of the restricted section after Twilight stepped in. He simply observed and hoped to finally get some clue as to how he could find the answers he now desperately wanted.

Twilight lit up the area and brought out the two old books with impressive locks. she set the books down before her and held up her hoof. She stared at the weightless string of pink, yellow, and blue, and Spike did the same; he squinted to see what Twilight held. "Is that a...hair?" The young dragon had no idea what the young princess was going to do with a hair, but she had to be on to something. Suddenly, Twilight's magic coated the hair and placed it within the lock of one of the journals. When she did so, the book snatched the hair from Twilight's grip and it disappeared. The book began to lift from the ground and vibrate vigorously, it appeared to possess its own source of magic as it lit up the entire room with an impressive display of colors. After a few seconds the book ceased its movement and fell back to the floor in a small heap of smoke and dust; the lock now open and the pages free to explore.

"It's unlocked," Spike mumbled, impressed. He watched as Twilight began to do what she does best: read endless amounts of pages for a slither of information. And Spike knew that he had to do the same. However, he could not simply take the book away from Twilight; he had to find some other way to get what he needed. Then, Spike glanced beside the alicorn to the other journal. Perhaps, this second book was a continuation of the one Twilight was reading, he could not know until it was in his grasp. So, Spike took advantage of the distracted Twilight and tiptoed closer, making sure to stay behind her as much as possible. He took calculated step after step until he could hear her lips move as she read. Spike looked down at the unoccupied journal and back up at Twilight, to the journal, to Twilight. He reached in, stretching each of his claws and holding his breath. Eventually he could feel the leather on his scales and he took hold of the book ever so gently. Spike lifted the tome and slid it back behind Twilight and firmly into his possession.

At last, he finally held what he believed to be a valuable piece of this convoluted puzzle in his claws. Spike snuck out of the library with the book pressed against his chest and ran until he put enough distance between him and any prying eyes. When the coast was clear, Spike took a closer look at what he had taken. The book was very old to be sure, leather-bound, and featured an interesting inscription: "This ledger may only be opened by the owner's stem of knowledge." This "owner" appeared to be listed above; Spike read the well-crafted name of "Luna." "Wait a minute," he said, "Twilight opened her book with one of Celestia's hairs..." Spike turned his head in the direction of Luna's bedroom and suddenly began sprinting down the hall. "That's gotta be it! This book has to be opened by one of Luna's hairs; it's the only thing that makes sense."

The little dragon huffed and puffed his way to the chambers of the princess of the night. When he got close he could hear... "Snoring?" Why would Luna be sleeping, he wondered; she usually stays up all night, helping ponies overcome their problematic dreams. Spike opened the door and found it slightly lit by a few candles. He ventured further in and made his way to the princess. "What the..." When Spike approached, he immediately recognized the pony laying beside the princess and gasped despite his better judgement; the noise echoed forward. Suddenly, Lennox's glowing yellow orbs revealed themselves, blinking several times.

Spike began to panic and he looked around for a solution, a way to escape. "You?" the unicorn questioned with his coarse speech. It was too late to run.

"H-How did you get out of your cell?"

"Shh!," Lennox looked over at Luna as he sat up, "Don't wake her." Spike raised an eyebrow and took a step back. "And don't worry, little one."

"What?"

Lennox got out of the bed and came face to face with the dragon. "I will not harm you," he placed a hoof on Spike's shoulder. The Unicorn then shifted his gaze to the book Spike had taken. "What is that?"

Spike instinctively held the tome tighter, closer to his chest. "N-Nothing!"

But Lennox saw through this petty lie, "Ah...You think that book will tell you what you need to know." Spike began to sweat as Lennox extended his hoof. "Perhaps I can help you to search through it."

Spike jumped back, "No! Stay back!"

Lennox chuckled, "Very well, little dragon. I will leave you to discover the true past by yourself. But, at least tell me why you have come to see Luna."

The drake was hesitant at the very least, but he figured if Lennox was going to hurt him, he would have done so by now. Spike looked over to the sleeping princess, "I need...one of her hairs." The unicorn turned his head and raised a brow but decided not to question Spike; he gently plucked a long blue string from Luna's head and handed it to him.

Spike took the hair and inched toward the door. Lennox remained still, "As I said before, I do not wish to hurt you; quite the opposite actually."

"I wonder if you'll keep saying that after I wake up Celestia and tell her and Twilight where you are." Spike could not believe the words coming out of his mouth; his mind screamed at him to just shut up before he made the pony angry.

But Lennox did not seem to react much, "We both know you will do no such thing."

"Why not?"

"Because a part of you believes what I am telling you, despite all of your instincts and experiences. You see, I have always been able to sense curiosity in others, it is clear as day, and you, baby dragon, are curious to see how much of what you know is a lie. So, go now and read your book. Find what you seek, and when you learn that I speak the truth, come to me and I will help you."

Spike did not reply, he did not know how after feeling the impact those words had on him. Was Lennox right? Did he doubt his friends, his life? Spike ran from the room with the hair and book; his mind said no! He lies! It is all a plot to turn everypony against one another so he can come out on top. And yet, Spike still had to read Luna's journal, had to be certain. He did have doubts in his heart, whether he wanted to admit it or not. He ran back to the guest room where the rest of the mane six rested. He quietly made his way inside and took a candle from the top of a dresser. He then climbed onto Twilight's empty bed, dug underneath the covers to create a dragon-shaped tent, and lit the candle. He stared into the keyhole on the lock and lifted Luna's hair to his eyes. Before he could react, the book sucked the hair in and it disappeared. Like its sister tome, this journal vibrated and shook before coming to a steamy halt. It felt warm in Spike's claws as he unbuckled the now free lock and opened the pages that held his salvation.

Author's Note:

Opinions in the comments :ajsleepy: