• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 1,954 Views, 61 Comments

Blood Ties - bestponydash



Twilight and her friends are quickly summoned to Canterlot where a hooded stranger is attacking the princesses. Normally this wouldn't seem that out of the ordinary, but something tells Twilight that Celestia and Luna aren't telling her everything.

  • ...
10
 61
 1,954

The Outpost

"Here we are," Lennox gestured toward the thin but tall outpost built into the claustrophobically close mountain cliffs on either side. The front gate, which served as the only way in or out from this side, was an impressive assemblage of wood and iron several hooves thick. An invading force would have no choice but to enter no more than two at a time, shoulder to shoulder; all the while being subject to the archers, spellcasters, and rock chuckers posted on the walkway above. In the outpost's prime, dragons and/or pegasi could patrol the air above the gate, stopping any brave flyers from bypassing the ground entrance. Overall, the sharp spikes, gate chains, and slimy-looking rock walls made this structure a perfect fit for the dragon lands.

The two ponies and young dragon approached the miniature fortress with haste until they were stopped by a rather foreseeable problem. "The gate's closed," Corona said.

Lennox took a few steps forward, nearing touching distance of the gate. He gazed up, "If you can make it over, you'll find the mechanism to open the door to the right, inside the small tower leading up to the battlements." Corona lit his horn, following Lennox's eyes, and began levitating himself over the high walls. When he was no longer in sight, Lennox turned to Spike, "We need a plan in case he turns against us."

Spike raised a brow, reviewing what little he knew of the shapeshifting unicorn. "We still don't know what he really wants."

"Exactly. I've been through enough to realize when somepony is using me for their own benefit...Which is why when the fighting starts, I'll separate us from him. We will deal with Twilight and her friends, and he will take on Celestia and Luna."

Spike shook his head and paused after hearing Lennox refer to the mane six as a separate force, no longer a part of Spike's family. But Spike did not share this sentiment; not yet. "He won't be able to fight both of the sisters alone."

Lennox glanced back toward the gate as he heard the large chains begin to rattle, "I know, but he may be able to weaken them enough that we can finish the job."

"Weaken them enough before they capture him."

"Yes. We will force him to outlive his usefulness to us before we outlive our usefulness to him."

Spike squinted at this mind set, "You want to betray him first because you think he's planning on betraying us?" Spike paused again, this time at his own choice of words. Choosing to use 'us' seemed to be the same as proclaiming his allegiance with Lennox. Perhaps Spike was subconsciously coming to the unicorn's side in all of this; perhaps the word meant nothing at all, simply referring to Corona betraying the both of them individually. The dragon was unsure.

"It may sound wrong to strike first, but sometimes that is what is necessary to survive. You cannot honestly trust Corona."

Spike knew the red unicorn was suspicious, and he did not trust him to keep his word. But Spike had been taught that it is always better to resolve conflict, rather than start it. "Maybe..." The sound of the chains came to an abrupt halt as the gate finished opening and Corona Blaze appeared inside, waving the two to hurry along.

Lennox quickly knelt down to the dragon one last time, "Just be ready and stand close to me when I give the signal." The pony trotted off and Spike hesitantly nodded before following. All three disappeared as the gates were closed once more, eager to plan the details of their final assault.

After half an hour or so, the group found themselves atop the battlements of the outpost; the two unicorns discussed strategy and ambitions of victory while the dragon simply stared out at the landscape. His mind was too busy deciding his place in all this to focus on anything else. Was Celestia truly to blame, and if so, how should he feel? Spike was a dragon after all, his parents were dragons, he would have been raised here in the territories had his egg not been taken.

And yet his egg was taken, and he was raised by ponies, loved by ponies. Should his heart follow heritage or reality? Which ties were stronger: those of experience, or those of blood. The dragon rubbed his weary head and sighed. Suddenly Spike saw something move on the ground, at least he thought he did. The dragon squinted and the rocky surface below him became clearer. His gaze focused on a group of large boulders several meters away. "Was that...?" He turned to Lennox and Corona; the two were still distracted. Spike looked back to the rocks below and his eyes narrowed again. "Twilight?" he whispered.

"I think he saw us," the princess said.

The rest of the ponies peeked at the tall structure before them, trying to get a quick glimpse at the small dot of Purple that was Spike. Then the group noticed their enemies not far from him. "How'r we gonna handle this, Twi?" AJ asked.

Twilight stepped out of cover ever so slightly to ensure Spike knew it was her, here to rescue him from his captives. "We should wait for them to drop their guard. If they see us coming in broad daylight, they might simply teleport away again and we would be back to square one." The ponies nodded and decided to wait for the cover of night when they could sneak in, secure Spike, and then safely deal with the unicorns.

Back atop the battlements, Spike saw the image again; this time he was certain it was his friend. Spike whispered a gasp and his eyes shifted to the unicorns, to Twilight, and back again. This was his chance to be back in the embrace of his purple caretaker; his chance to return to his simpler life...but was it going to be the same as before? No, he thought, things would never be the same again; he knew too much, had seen too much, just to forget it all. Spike wanted to be with Twilight, that would never change, but was he still willing to abide the connection he had with Celestia if it was her that day? Twilight was unaware of all this, just as he was, when everything started; surely if she was shown everything Spike had been, she would not just forgive the crimes of her mentor.

The dragon closed his eyes in uncertainty and agitation. He couldn't give up his friends, it would put them in danger. But he couldn't simply go back with them either. Spike decided to allow Twilight and the mane six to carry out whatever plan they had come up with. Hopefully, he would find a way to satisfy both sides of this internal conflict.

The day passed into night and the ponies were ready to make their move. They approached the gate, using the shadows to hide their advance. Dash silently beat her wings up to the top of the walls, scanning for anypony while her friends tried to decrease their profiles. She glanced left and right; the coast appeared to be clear for the moment and she waved. Twilight suddenly poofed into view with the rest of the group. They all scanned the open courtyard between the wall on which they stood and the similar structure leading out the other side of the pass. There was a small cubic building connected to the far gate, "They must be in there," Twilight gestured.

"Huh?" The voice came from the watchtower staircase. The ponies quickly descended the inner side of the wall; the winged members of the group carrying the wingless. They barely managed to escape Corona as he walked out investigating the noise. The ponies below let out a sigh of relief at their not being discovered and quickly trekked to the barrack-like structure.

Once inside, they finally found Spike sleeping in one of the beds scattered throughout the resting chamber; he seemed to be alone. "[Psst] Spike," Twilight whispered. The dragon slowly sat up, looking around. "Spike." He turned to the door and Spike's eyes lit up as he saw the mane six had at last come for him. He jumped from his bed and ran to them; Twilight wrapped her forelegs around him as the two met. "Are you hurt?" she asked when the hug had ceased. Spike shook his head and smiled, and Twilight looked around. "Where is Lennox?"

Spike's smile faded, "He and Corona are on the gates, watching for you. Twilight, I need to tell you something."

Twilight became concerned, "What is it?"

Spike looked to the ground, "I-"

"Have seen the truth," said a voice from behind. The ponies turned to find Lennox standing behind them. "I thought I saw somepony crossing the courtyard."

Twilight guided Spike behind her with a hoof, protecting him from the dangerous unicorn. "Listen to me."

"I've listened enough." Lennox's horn glowed and with a large puff of magic he sent everypony outside. The six stood in the middle of the courtyard, gasping in alarm. Lennox put a hoof to his mouth and whistled, informing Corona of the intruders. And not a moment later, the red unicorn quickly appeared next to him.

Corona Blaze smirked, "Quicker than I expected."

The two groups stood apart from each other in a stare-off with Lennox and Twilight at the front, "This time you will not be so fortunate," he said.

Author's Note:

Opinions in the comments :fluttershyouch: