• Published 17th Oct 2015
  • 3,561 Views, 72 Comments

Fools and Foolers - TechnoViking



Rumors and gossip can cause pain more severe than any crash

  • ...
16
 72
 3,561

Chapter 6

Author's Note:

Hey there True Believers, did you think I was dead? Haha. Regardless I have come back to deliver another chapter for those who are interested. I don't abandon stories and I'm committed to the story, despite my absence (haha). But I am happy for anyone who is invest after all this time and I appreciate you all.

One breath, deep and determined, was followed by a series of short shallow gasps. They weren't loud and didn't draw any attention from those who didn't know what to look for but they were there. She wasn't scared, Rainbow Dash would never be scared by the prospect of confronting a friend, but she was just a tad nervous. It was sure to be awkward and extremely uncomfortable, but it was something that needed to be done and Rarity was as good a place to start as any. She cast a quick glance over her shoulder at the stalwart visage of Mac, who simply nodded to her, and she let a breath go she wasn't aware she was holding out and opened the door to the boutique.

It seemed like years ago that she had been in the Apple Family kitchen bragging to Applejack about her success the night prior and eating hot and fluffy apple pancakes. The thought of her upcoming conversation was so far from her mind as she laughed, Mac snickered, and Applejack had grumbled halfheartedly at her own lack of success but smiled all the same at the culprits being dealt with. Granny Smith had been pleased enough to have offered Rainbow free meals whenever she wanted and first drafts of every batch of cider from then on. She wished desperately now to be back in that kitchen right now instead of where she was.

“Oh, hello Rainbow, what brings you in today?” Rarity asked cheerily breaking Rainbow’s train of thought.

“Oh, hey Rares, I um, I wanted to talk to you,” Rainbow said rather unenthusiastically.

“But of course, that’s no trouble at all. I have a moment to spare, let me put on a pot of tea,” she responded happily as she exited the room to put the kettle on.

“Great,” Rainbow grumbled as she followed, she didn't mind having tea with Rarity per se, but she really wanted to get the whole thing over with.

“Would you care from some cakes?” she asked as she busied herself with the kettle.

“Um sure, I guess,” Rainbow wasn't particularly hungry. In fact, she was stuffed to the gills from breakfast but it seemed rude to say no.

Humming to herself Rarity came trotting in a took a seat across from Rainbow as the tray of tea and cakes levitated down to the table between them.

“Now let's chat, what was it you wanted to discuss?” Rarity said happily as she took a sip of her tea.

“Well, uh, it's kind of about the other day?”

“Oh? What in particular?”

“Well the whole…it’s well…” Rainbow began before trailing off and shoving a tea cake into her mouth as she cast her eyes away from Rarity.

“Rainbow, dear, is something the matter?” Rarity asked, her voice soft and laced with concern. She had clearly be started to pick up on Rainbow's discomfort.

"No...no...it’s just… the sportswear idea,” she stammered suddenly losing her nerve, and grabbing onto the first idea that came to mind “Do you think I could test one of those flight suits out when you're done with them?” Rainbow lied. To her own ears, it sounded forced, unbelievable, and a ludicrous statement. But to Rarity, ecstatic at the idea of Rainbow wanting to take an active role in her fashion, seemed not to pick up on any of that.

“Oh of course, of course, dear. You know I was hoping you would ask, I need a real athlete to test them out. You know…”

It was here Rainbow had stopped listening, her friend's voice becoming a distant hum as she started to talk and expound her plans. As Rarity tittered away about her fashion Rainbow began to chew on another cake despite her full stomach and mentally berated herself. ‘I'll get to it eventually’ she thought to herself, and she meant it, but later always seemed so much better.
_______________________________

Mac waited outside the boutique for the ending of what was sure to be an obscenely uncomfortable conversation.

He had no doubt that the mare's friendship would weather and withstand this misunderstanding. Those six girls had literally been to Tartarus and back, a situation such as this would not tarnish what they had. But he also knew that a strong connection did not preclude fights and hurt feelings and so here he stood as a pillar of support for a new friend he would have never thought he would have made. Regardless, he couldn't help but feel happy about this new relationship. As odd as it was, it did feel solid and reliable, and that meant a lot to Mac. His thoughts were interrupted however when Rainbow excited the shop and his attention shifted towards his new friend.

As Rainbow Dash excited Rarity’s boutique and the pair were in much higher spirits than he would have expected. This confused Mac to a degree, but he'd remain silent for the moment.

The pair was laughing and joking and this seemed highly inappropriate for the conversation that should have just taken place. It didn’t take Mac all that long to figure out what had transpired, and while he didn't , he did know it wouldn't help the situation.As Rainbow approached him and Rarity returned to her shop all Mac did was stare at Rainbow.

“What?” she asked in an entirely unconvincing tone of confusion. “I wasn't ready, okay...I’ll do it next week after…” she started to say but trailed off when she saw him giving her a stern look. Mac wasn’t about to force her to do this, but he wasn’t going to let her just leave it be either.

“It ain’t…” he began but she cut him off.

“I know, I know, it’s not gonna get any better by waiting,” she whined in an exasperated tone before looking up at him pleadingly, begging for just a bit of a reprieve, but his steely eyes told her there was none to be had.

“Do you want me to go in with ya?” he asked in a tone much kinder than his previous demeanor would have suggested.

On that Rainbow had to think. The answer was, of course, that she would love to have some support right there with her. But, at the same time, it was also no, she wanted to do this on her own. Apparently, her indecision was written all over her face as it seemed Mac was about to make her decision for her as he headed to the shop’s door.

“Mac...what are you doing?” she asked in trepidation and terror9th as the stallion made his way to the door.

“Nothing, just thought I’d ask Miss Rarity a question or two about...well you don’t need to fret about it,” he said with the tiniest smirk plastered across his lips as he continued his approach.

“Mac...don’t,” Rainbow warned, her voice stressed and frantic. When he didn’t stop she ran in front of him and propped her hooves against him to try and halt him but when she felt her hind hooves cutting into the dirt as he pushed her back it was abundantly clear that this wasn't going to work.” Mac…please,” she pleaded in a whisper, almost whimpering, and he stopped dead in his tracks.

“I was only funin’ with ya...I would never force ya ta…Im sorry,” he finished with a concerned and regretful tone that bordered on fear that he may have pushed just a bit too hard.

“I know...it’s just...I...well,” Rainbow Dash found she couldn't quite finish her thought process before she let out a long sigh.

“If ya ain’t ready it can wait, maybe next week we can-” Mac began but he was stopped short when Rainbow just shook her head vehemently. The duo was quiet for a moment before she spoke.

“Would you mind coming in with me?” she asked abashedly, almost bordering on meek. Much to her relief he nodded but did not speak, his words may have broken her resolve and she had no idea why.

Letting out a breath she wasn't even aware she was holding Rainbow began her approach. Even though it hadn't even been more than twenty minutes the whole experience felt entirely different than what she had done previously with Mac at her side. With a small tittering of a bell, the door swung open and Rarity turned around looking friendly although confused.

“Oh, hello again Rainbow, oh hello to you as well Big Mac, what brings you in?” she asked, sounding utterly befuddled, yet still sounding utterly pleasant and professional.

Rainbow quickly turned to face Mac. Her face was laced with trepidation but a calm look from Mac and a slow nod seemed to steel her resolve.

“Hey, again…So Rares...about what I said earlier about the other day ...well it...it wasn't exactly true,” she said her voice on the verge of sounding shaken but it remained even.

“Oh?” Rarity said in a confused tone, seeming to be utterly befuddled about the situation.

“Yeah...it was...well...it was...I mean…” Rainbow began but her words seemed to fail her. If it was awkward for her, it was going to be just as bad for Rarity, perhaps worse, and the implications for their friendship were staggering.

“It’s okay Rainbow, you can speak your mind. I promise it won’t offend me, unless of course you're uncomfortable with the…the atmosphere,” Rarity said in what was very nearly an overtly kind and professional tone, but then shifting of her eyes towards Mac on her final words. This minute action seems to fortify Rainbow's stance and determination. But her voice still seemed to falter, despite he determination.

Casting her eyes to the floor of Rarity's shop Rainbow Dash mumbled out an incoherent string of words.

“I’m sorry dear, what was that?”

“I said... hmmrpphh,” Rainbow muttered again.

“Sorry, you'll have to speak up,” Rarity said with a near chuckle in her own voice, but her trepidation was still present.

Sucking in a gasp of air through her teeth, Rainbow blurted out “I’M NOT GAY,” in a volume that might have been considered just the slightest bit too loud. Rarity just looked at her, the expression on her face reading as absolutely thunderstruck.

“Pardon me?” she asked, looking shocked with her voice seeming to be on the verge of trembling.

“I don’t like girls, not in that way, and the fact that you assumed that I did...well…I didn't…I…” she trailed off not meeting her friend's eyes.

The room was dead silent for a minute, then two, then another. Unable to deal with the lack of reaction any longer Rainbow Dash did decide to look up at her friend and was surprised to find what she saw. Rarity's hoof was raised up over her mouth and her eyes seemed to be shining.

“Oh...Rainbow...I...we...the girls...oh no,” she stammered as the tears that had been threatening to fall began to flow. “We just thought, we never thought or judged, oh Rainbow I’m so sorry,” before pulling her into a hug.

Rainbow was stunned for a moment before she reached around and gently patted her on the back. “Hey...it’s alright,” she said awkwardly before turning her head to look at Mac who gave her a kind look.

“No it’s not,” she cried as she pulled away and wiped her eyes. “We never meant to...oh I don’t even know what to say, I just feel so awful, and the girls...they’re all going to...” she began to ramble out as she started to fidget in a frantic manner.

“Don’t...don’t worry about it,” Rainbow muttered, sounding almost abashed as she cast her eyes away.

“BUT IT’S NOT ALRIGHT!” Rarity practically screamed, her tone intense and visceral but still somehow remaining contained enough not to spread outside the walls of her shop.

Rainbow was a bit taken a back by this visceral and emotional response. While it was true she had taken the assumption about her sexuality in a rather rough manner, she hadn’t expected others to react so emotionally..Yet here Rarity was on the brink of tears and utterly devastated by the assumption.

“Rares…it’s alright, it’s not-” Rainbow began but Rarity cut her off.

“NO, It’s not alright, I assumed and made…I…oh dear Celestia…” she trailed off, looking utterly mortified and distressed to a degree Rainbow Dash had never seen.

Rainbow looked frantically back at Mac, who looked uncomfortable but remained silent.

“Rares-” Rainbow began again, but she found herself cut off.

“What can I do to make this right?!” she asked, her tone bordering on desperate, nearly frantic and manic. Rainbow just stared at her for a moment before responding.

“Nothing,” she said simply, almost coldly, but not quite.

“...what?” Rarity muttered, seemingly confused and hurt.

“You can’t make this right,” Rainbow said simply and that only seemed to draw more grief from Rarity.

“But I didn’t mean…I-” she began to stammer, her voice quivering, but Rainbow still cut her off, needing, or more wanting, to clarify.

“We’re good Rares. I don’t like what you thought and said, but I get it, it wasn’t gossip or malice, you just had…bad intel?” Rainbow finished in a questioning and awkward tone, not sure if she had chosen the correct words.

“But I-” Rarity began, but this time Rainbow cut her off with a hug instead of words. She pulled her friend close and hugged her tightly.

“I appreciate that Rares, I really do. But you aren’t the problem, this is something I need…something I want to deal with in my own way,” Rainbow offered in an uncharacteristically warm voice. This seemed to calm the distraught unicorn, at least in mild sense. They stood there holding one another for a moment as their emotions calmed, and they finally separated.

“Well…if say so, but I just feel so awful I-” Rarity began, her voice cracking before she trailed off.

Rainbow Dash found herself feeling as though she had done something wrong even though she knew on an intellectual level she hadn’t. Emotionally she felt at fault, or even responsible for how Rarity felt, even though she knew that wasn’t the case.

“It’s okay Rares, it really is, I just…well I wanted you to know,” Rainbow finished in what she thought was a lame or weak tone.

“Thank you, Rainbow, but it’s not okay,” Rarity reiterated for what felt like the thousandth time, with a small sniffle as she wiped a glinting tear from her eyes. “I assumed something and it was wrong, and I hurt you,” Rarity said quietly, her tone soft and dejected.

“Well…thanks,” Rainbow said weakly, not sure how to respond.

The atmosphere became thick with tension and an awkward miasma. Neither Rarity or Rainbow Dash knew quite what to say. The two mares sat in silence for quite some time before Mac decided to break the silence.

"Well, I think I'm about ready to head out," Mac said simply as he turned to leave the shop. He intentionally left any sort of reference to the situation out of his comment, hoping by simply speaking he'd get them moving again.

The two mares seemed somewhat startled by this sudden introduction of another voice but both seemed to adapt quickly. Rarity looked at her friend apologetically and worried. Rainbow looked back with understanding and, perhaps surprisingly, reconciliation.

Rainbow reached out and pulled her friend into a tight and warm hug and simply held her there for a moment.

Rarity, for her part, seemed stiff and worried, but only for an instant. Then, after an awkward moment, she wrapped her forelegs around her friend and held her right, seeming to seek some comfort.

"We're good Rares, I know you'd never try to hurt me," Rainbow whispered to her friend before breaking the embrace and turning away, her eyes just a bit overbright.

"Are you sure there's nothing I can do?" Rarity asked softly, almost in a whisper. Rainbow just looked at her before giving a somewhat forced, but still convincing, confident grin.

" I got this Rares, don't worry," she said with a confidence she didn't really feel. But it seemed to ease Rarity’s worries.

"Well…whatever happens, well, just let me know if you need anything," Rarity said awkwardly but her boice maintained a warm tone as she wiped her eyes before reaching out and hugging her friend once more.

"Sure thing…thanks Rares," Rainbow muttered into her friend's mane as she wrapped her forelimbs around her. They stayed like that for a moment before they broke apart and Rainbow turned to follow Mac out, giving her friend one last reassuring smile before exiting.
________________________________________________________________________

Mac thought Rainbow had done rather well and maintained her composure without much issue. He had thought she’d done rather well, that is until the door closed behind her and she let out an almost aggressive sigh that almost sounded like boiling water.

Mac turned to look at his companion and saw her cool exterior had broken down. Rainbow, for all the composure she had just shown, now seemed to be fairly rattled.

"Miss Dash…you alright?" Mac asked, his concern abundantly apparent.

"Yeah…yeah, I'm good…I'm cool…" she stammered before trailing off.

"Well, ah think ya did alright, the best thing to do is be direct, things went okay, all things considered," Mac offered, hoping he was helping. She looked up at him, almost looking shocked to see him there.

“Yeah…sorry, but that was ruff, and I know it’s only going to get rougher,” Rainbow said in a dejected tone, her eyes looking almost morosely at the ground.

“It’ll be alright Miss Dash, we’ll deal with this one step at a time,” Mac said in a soft and kind tone, gently placing his hoof on her shoulder. She looked up at him, almost shocked, but she smiled all the same.

“Thanks, Mac that…” she began to speak cheerily but trailed off, and Mac didn’t press the issue.

“I think ya earned a meal, come on I’ll go fix you up some lunch,” Mac said in a minorly joking tone, regardless Rainbow did seem to lighten up.

"Honestly…that sounds pretty good to me right now," Rainbow responded with what sounded like a forced laugh. Her playful bumping against Mac's hips seemed to be a genuine expression of mirth and playfulness.

"Well, you know no one does it better than Apples," Mac said back playfully as he bumped her back.

" Don't tempt me with a good time," Rainbow teased back, earning her a small blush from Mac.

"Just hush up for a bit," Mac muttered, not quite meaning it, the mirth in his voice evidence.

"You love it," Rainbow said back her voice playful but still suggestive as she smirked and giggled, bumping his back.

So the pair walked back to Sweet Apple Acres laughing and joking, all other events forgotten and seeming unimportant in the moment.

Comments ( 7 )
jxj

Oh man, it’s always cool to see a story come back from the dead. I’m going to be honest, I remember nothing about this, so I’m just going to start from the beginning.

ROBCakeran53
Moderator

Hot damn. Great to see an update!

Wow, that really must have been hard for her. It took her nearly five years to confront Rarity.

Great update! Always love me some MacDash!

oh wow, i'm logging in for the first time in a while myself and i was (pleasantly) shocked to find an unread chapter sitting in my library. it was fun to reread through this again, this update included! :)

YEEEEES! I KNEW IT'D BE BACK!

11560304
How dare you use factual statements like that, haha.

Login or register to comment