• Published 2nd Jul 2015
  • 1,990 Views, 31 Comments

"But... I Made You!" - GeodesicDragon



[COLLAB] Seven authors. Seven stories. One question. "How would you react if you met your OC?"

  • ...
2
 31
 1,990

BONUS: Geo's First Draft

Author's Note:

Since I didn't want to choose between Doctor or Nurse Haywick, I decided to use them both in my story. What follows now is the original first draft, which uses just the Nurse.

It was just another typically dull Scottish day, with howling winds causing the house to creak down to its very foundations and raindrops sliding endlessly down the windows.

I was sitting in my bedroom with the Skyrim soundtrack being blasted deep into my skull, while taking the time to peruse the newest chapters to grace some of my favourite works of pony fanfiction. I tried to lip-synch, conveniently forgetting that I am not exactly fluent in the tongue of the Dovah.

All in all, I was enjoying myself. As I read old favourites and discovered new ones, I found myself reflecting on my time as a proud member of the MLP fandom. I had made lots of friends, and I had even found fame – if I could even call it that – as a successful fanfiction author myself. The mere fact that so many people appreciate what I do makes me swell with happiness.

I finished reading one story and began reading another, as one track ended and another began. But then, a brilliant flash of light suddenly tore through my room and knocked out the power — but it had not come from the storm outside. After jumping out of my skin, I tore my earphones out and threw them on my desk.

"What in the hell was that?" I asked out loud.

"That's funny," a feminine voice said from behind me. "I was literally just about to ask that same question."

I swallowed nervously, turning around slowly in my swivel chair while looking around for something to defend myself with. And that's when I saw her — a pony, just like from the show!

She looked at me oddly, probably while wondering two things: firstly, who and what I was and secondly, why I had such a gormless look plastered all over my dumb face.

I took in every inch of my unexpected guest: her brown coat, her black mane and tail, her soft blue eyes and her cutie mark depicting a needle against a red cross — then put a hand over my mouth to stifle the shocked gasp that threatened to escape me.

For it was at this moment that I realised the mare in front of me was none other than Nurse Haywick.

My OC.

"Are you all right?" she asked. "You look a bit flustered."

I shook my head. "I'm sorry," I replied. "I didn't mean to stare. It's just... I wasn't expecting somepo— someone like yourself to suddenly appear in front of me like that."

Crap, crap, crap, I thought. My own creation is standing just a few feet in front of me. Whatever you do, Chris, don't give away anything about My Little Pony!

"And I wasn't expecting the teleport spell I was practising to send me here." Haywick looked around warily. "Wherever here is."

"You are in my humble abode," I said. "And, until we find a way to get you back, you are welcome to stay."

Haywick cocked her head at me. "Normally, I'd feel a bit wary when somepony I'd just met offered to take me into their home." she looked me up and down. "But there's something about you that I can't quite put my hoof on... something that makes me feel relaxed to be in your presence." She smiled and held out a forehoof. "My name is Nurse Haywick – although everypony just calls me 'Haywick' for short – and I accept your offer to let me stay."

I shook her hoof. "And my name is Chris," I replied. "I'm pleased that you were able to trust me so quickly — and, if it's any comfort to you at all, I trust you as well."

Of course she trusts you, moron! my brain screamed. You created her, so it's only natural that the two of you would feel some kind of connection to each other.

We sat in silence for a while, during which I was able to get a closer look at her. The mere fact that something – no, somepony – whom I had created was in front of me was a lot to take in. I knew that I had to do everything in my power to avoid giving away anything I knew about the world she had come from — which in turn made me thankful that her arrival had forced my computer to shut down. I think I'd have had some explaining to do, had she seen the picture of Twilight Sparkle I have adorning my desktop.

The fact that she looked as adorable in real life as she did in the many pictures I had of her didn't help either. I was calm on the outside, this much is certain — but on the inside, every fibre of my very being was demanding that I gave Haywick a great big hug.

"I'm sorry," I said at last. "I'm not really good around new people... or, in this case, new ponies." I cracked a smile. "Why don't we get to know each other a bit better? Tell me about yourself."

Not that I need to know, of course.

Haywick smiled back. "Well, as you've probably guessed, I am a nurse," she replied. "I specialise in giving injections, as my cutie mark indicates, but I can do other things as well." She sat down. "I live and work in a little town called Ponyville, I have many lovely friends, and I am in a relationship with Fluttershy — the most beautiful mare who ever lived."

"Sounds lovely," I said.

"Oh, it is." Haywick sighed wistfully. "Now, what about you?"

"There's not much to tell." I shrugged. "I'm a Commercial Analyst, and in my free time I enjoy watching films and television, talking with my friends, and reading."

"Where I come from, friendship is very important." Haywick nodded. "In fact, we Equestrians believe that Friendship is—"

"— Magic," we said in unison.

Haywick looked at me. "That's exactly right," she said warily. "But... how could you possibly have known that?"

YOU IDIOT! I screamed internally. You've just given yourself away!

"Er... lucky guess?"

Haywick shook her head. "No, it wasn't." she narrowed her eyes and stood up, rearing onto her hind legs and putting her forehooves on my shoulders. "You know more about me than you're letting on, friend — that's why you didn't freak out when you first saw me."

"Might I remind you of something?" I asked. "You didn't freak out when you first saw me, so that argument is invalid."

"I have never seen any of your kind in Equestria," Haywick shot back. "There is no way you could have known 'Friendship is Magic.' Please, just be honest and tell me... what do you know?"

I sighed. I knew that I couldn't keep my true identity a secret for much longer, but I also knew that any excuse I could give her wouldn't be believed. After all, she was right — humans aren't in the show at all, so by rights I shouldn't have been able to complete her sentence for her. Her eyes gazed into mine, and I found myself completely at her mercy.

"All right, I'll tell you." Haywick smiled and sat down. "But you aren't going to like – or believe – what I'm about to tell you."

And with that, I launched into an explanation of the show and how I came to be a part of the fandom associated with it. I explained everything I knew about the adventures of the Element bearers, life in Ponyville for the ordinary citizens — and then I told Haywick exactly who I was in relation to her.

"That... that's not true!" she shouted. "You didn't 'create' me, I was born in Manehatten! My parents are—"

"Hay Stalk and Candle Wick," I interrupted. "Hence your name."

Haywick's eyes widened. "Everypony knows who my parents were, so you could have heard their names somewhere." she angrily pointed a hoof at me. "Tell me how I got my cutie mark, because that's something many ponies don't know!"

"You were sixteen at the time," I replied coolly. "You were just a few weeks away from finishing school – where you were the subject of much ridicule for being a blank flank at that age – and you were at home with your father. Your mother was out shopping, so the two of you were enjoying your time together."

"Then a bee came into the house and stung your father on the forehead. He was severely allergic to bee stings, and so he went into anaphylactic shock — but he knew to be prepared for this. Needles loaded with epinephrine were kept all around the house, and your mother was usually the one to administer them."

"But since she was unavailable, it fell to you to do it instead. And so, as your father lay on the floor, you grabbed one of the needles in your magical aura and stood next to him. And then, without even thinking, you stuck it in and gave your father a shot of adrenaline."

Haywick's eyes glistened as she began crying. "I saved his life," she croaked. "Mother came back a few minutes later to find us both hugging each other tightly in the middle of the kitchen, the used needle lying next to us." She wiped her eyes. "After making sure my father was okay, she hugged me as tightly as he had — then she whispered in my ear, saying 'It looks to me like my darling daughter has finally found her calling.'"

She chuckled lightly. "I had no idea what she was talking about, but then my father pointed at my flank — and I finally realised that, after so many years, I finally had my cutie mark."

"And as soon as you finished high school and turned sixteen, your parents enrolled you in the Manehatten Medical Academy." I reached out and patted her on the back. "And once you had graduated – with honours, might I add – you got a job at the city's main hospital." I smiled. "But as much as you enjoyed the work, you found that the hustle and bustle of the city wasn't for you."

"So I moved to Ponyville, and got a job at the hospital there," Haywick said. "I made lots of new friends, and then I met Fluttershy and we fell in love." She grinned. "I'd tell you the rest... but I think it's safe to say that you already know it."

"I think I do." I grinned back. "I'm sorry to have sprung this on you, Haywick — but, with a bit of luck, you won't remember our meeting when you get back to Ponyville."

"But what if I want to remember?"

I raised an eyebrow at her. "You want to remember meeting the man who made your life what it is?" I asked. "You want to keep the knowledge that your entire life is the result of my imagination?"

Haywick thought for a moment. "Well, when you put it like that..." she said. "I guess this is something that I ought to forget." She looked around my room. "But how am I going to get home?"

"Honestly?" I threw my arms up. "I don't know — after all, it's not like I intended for any of this to happen."

"But, if you're my creator..." Haywick began. "If you're my creator, then surely you have the power to send me back?"

I put a hand to my chin in thought. "Hey, you're right." I nodded. "But, before I send you back, I want you to know something."

"What?"

"You are not a figment of my imagination, Haywick. Your appearance here today has proven that you are a real mare, somepony who is capable of making her own decisions and living her life the way she wants to." I smiled warmly. "It just so happens that I gave you a helping hand in said life."

Haywick took a deep breath. "If you keep that up, you're going to set me off crying again." she poked me. "But thank you for making sure that I lived a good life."

"You're welcome," I replied. "And thank you for proving to be just as adorable as I hoped you were." She stuck her tongue out at me in response, and I laughed. "Anyway... ready to go home?"

Haywick responded by throwing her forelegs around my neck, giving me a really tight hug, and nuzzling my cheek.

"Something to remember me by," she said as she pulled away with a lovely pink tinge on her cheeks. "I'm ready. Send me back."

She sat in the middle of my bedroom, in the very spot where she had appeared, while I closed my eyes and concentrated.

Haywick returned to Equestria with no knowledge of our meeting, I thought. Though, at the back of her mind, she knew that somewhere out there, something was watching over her.

I opened my eyes slowly to find that Haywick was gone, the only thing that remained of her presence being a piece of her mane. I picked it up and held it for a moment, before I set it down and pressed the power button on my computer — although it soon dawned on me that Haywick's visit had had an unintended effect.

"Great," I muttered. "The hard drive is fried."

I looked over at the piece of Haywick's mane and smiled.

"Totally worth it, though."

Comments ( 14 )

It's up! :pinkiehappy: I'll go through the others, can't wait to see what everybody wrote.

I read my entry as soon as you published the whole thing. Thanks for letting me participate in my first collab.

Ooh! Looks interesting! Insta read it later!

Hey, will you ever do anything like this again? I really wanna write a story where I meet some of my OC's but idk if you'd allow me since its ur idea

6160019
YOO!
You got in!
Noice!

6160553 If Geo's willing to make a sequel, then you should ask him.

That's actually a good question! ... Mine would probably cuddle and hug me.

...Then start a hive in the empty bedrooms of my condo.

My OC would be practicing archery a lot... even though he's blind.

Hi Geo
I'd like to ask If it is a problem If i copy the concept of meeting my OC.

6185647

I doubt I'm the first person to come up with the concept, so go ahead.

Just be sure to mention where you got your inspiration from. :twilightsmile:

This is such an awesome idea that you did Geo, awesome work all of you guys, you created awesome sauce!
Take my fav!

6491600 Welcome dude, this story was entertaining, and your part was a nice read :yay:
Collabs are always fun to do, legit, I love em.

6564568 Oooooo, count me interested dude! I would love to see a sequel, this one was great :rainbowkiss:

6703209 6703209 XD
I say that cause most of my OC's have some tragic backstories, and I'm the cause of it XD
hehehe eue

I think the stories are good, it made me remember that OC's are us, ponified.

Now I feel terrible about my own OC I wrote into an accident on the second page of some draft I've been working on.

Login or register to comment