• Published 3rd Apr 2015
  • 2,209 Views, 32 Comments

"You're A Part Of Me" - Vanilla Mocha



Rainbow Dash realizes that Soarin isn't only a Wonderbolt or a good friend, but he's also a part of her... a part that she lost. Will she ever get him back, and how?

  • ...
2
 32
 2,209

Remember Who I Am

Author's Note:

Wrote this is in like 30 minutes for a contest as seen in the long description. This is unedited, so if you see any mistakes, please tell me in the comments below nicely. Thank you!

Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Hungry, sad magenta eyes looked up at the clock that hung on the wall. It was as if time itself wanted to torture the pony watching; as if time was trying to tell her that she was frozen forever. . . alone.

Pouring rain hit the windows, making a thumping sound as they did so. From inside the house, you couldn't see the rain, much less the windows themselves- the blinds were put down, and long dark curtains were pulled over them. The room itself it was cold and dark, and if it was not for the mare that was inside the house, the room could be considered deserted- even lifeless, dead. That is how the mare felt on the inside. She was dead. She had been living with joy- unknown, subtle joy that she didn't realize she had until it had been taken away from her. He was her life, and now he was gone. She felt lifeless.

Her stomach growled. It had been a week since she'd eaten- her depression had lead to fasting. She ran one of her hooves over her ribcage, feeling the bones almost as if there wasn't any skin in the way. Her head hurt- she knew she had to eat; she couldn't make it much longer on water alone. But her woes had taken over her mind, controlling her every thought.

It's just a crush... he probably never liked you anyways, her mind said, he was just a friend... only now he's no longer single. What have I done? I always knew this day would come... Why am I so emotional? What is wrong with me? I never had feelings for him before... it's not like we ever dated before!

The mare on the sofa rolled over from her back onto her stomach. Her long, blue wings stretched out, then came back in. We're still friends... friendship is good, isn't it..? But if it is, why do I feel this way? Why do I feel so... psycho? The pegasus closed her eyes. If he ever liked me, then I never would have been here... but I liked him, and look at who I am now... besides, it's not like he's forever gone... we're still friends... like I said before, it's not like we ever dated or anything. Sure, he took me to the movies... just the two of us. Alright fine, we went to lunch a few times by ourselves... but those weren't dates... were they?

The mare continued to ponder these questions. Her eyes had dark purple bags around them- she looked like she had not slept in days. Around the corners of the whites in her eyes looked bloodshot- another result from skipping sleep. Her mane and tail looked like they had not been brushed- tangles, knots- even some of it looked like it had been ripped out, for there were places without hair. Her mane and tail were multicolored- that is probably why her parents had named her Rainbow Dash.

As a filly, she had always loved sports and anything having to do with flying, running, or any other activities like that. When she became older, she had moved to Ponyville on her birthday and had soon later on met a lot of new friends, and had reunited with old ones. Growing up, she also admired the Wonderbolts- an aerial team that preformed for audiences, raced against other flyers, and had saved lives of numerous ponies. And when Dash had a chance to join them, she couldn't be more thrilled.

Despite however many times she had always tried to get it, they always let her down. They weren't who she had always thought of them as- all except one. His name was Soarin. A single, young stallion had previously joined the Wonderbolts only two years before Rainbow did. Rainbow and Soarin became immediate friends, sharing mostly the same interests, ideas, and opinions. They had begun to hang out, but not as lovers- no, Dash had never even considered loving him, much less even liking the stallion romantically.

Then, after a year of being friends, he found a marefriend. Her name was White Lightning. A simple, white furred pegasus pony with curly light blue hair for her mane and tail. Her bright turquoise eyes brought anger to Dash's mind when she looked at her. She wasn't even a Wonderbolt, much less a racer. Soarin hangs out with her a lot... he always talks about her. They are dating, I'm sure of it, her mind whispers, and if you really loved him... wouldn't you want him to be happy?

The cyan furred pegasus stands up. I... can't take this... any longer... Weak, she stumbles over to her desk. The room is quiet- the rain had stopped, and then only sound now is Rainbow's breathing. Getting out a piece of paper, she writes,

Soarin,

I don't know who I am any more. I used to be awesome... I used to own it all.

I was a champion, but now since I've left you... I am nothing. You weren't

just a Wonderbolt. You weren't just a friend. You were my everything. I guess

you can kinda tell who's writing this by now, but I don't care. Everything about

me is gone... forever. I am dead in a living body. I need to be free- I need to

either live or die- I cannot take this pain any longer, Soarin. If you love me...

then come and find me. If you don't... I understand. Goodbye forever if you

never reply. I love you.

~ R. Dash

Her head hurts even worse. Her eyes are burning. Her insides ache. Her lungs feel heavy. Yet, the mare finds a way to seal it into an envelope and write on Soarin's address. She almost makes it all the way to her front door to put it in the mail box outside when her doorbell is rung. Opening the door, she gasps. A light blue pegasus stallion is standing outside- a pegasus stallion named Soarin. At once his facial expression goes from joyful to concerned.

"Rainbow? What happened to you?" He asks.

"Huh...? Oh, uh..." Rainbow doesn't know what to say.

"Are you ok? Rainbow... why have you been ignoring me for the past week? I'm sorry if I spent more time with Lightning... it's just that she's back in town this week, and I thought I'd pay her a visit."

"Then why come here? If you really do love her... then leave me." Rainbow closed her eyes.

"What do y-" Soarin stopped. Suddenly, he realized what was going on with Rainbow. Getting closer to her, he said quietly, "I don't like Lightning, Dashie- she's my sister." He chuckles.

"Oh, really?" Rainbow looked up at him. That face... that loving, harmless, calm face... Rainbow shook her head. "Then how come you guys never told me?" She questioned.

"I don't really know... I had assumed you knew. I'm really sorry, Rainbow. Really. Hey, what's that in your hoof?" Soarin points to the letter that Rainbow was about to mail him.

"Oh! Uh, nothing..." Dash tucks it inside her wing, "I'm sorry too... see, I had also assumed that you were dating her. I had never thought to ask you, and seeing how we had never exactly dated before I thought that you wanted a marefriend... Then I came back home and felt bad for myself. I'm really sorry for jumping to conclusions, Soarin."

"No, don't be- it's my fault." He leaned in closer to her, allowing her to put her head on his chest. Standing in her doorway watching the last few drops of rain fall off the roof, Rainbow asks, "Soarin... I know this sounds weird, but... with you, I remember who I am. I guess it's because you're apart of me."

"It's not creepy at all- I feel the same about you."

After recieving a peck on the cheek, he asks her, "So... wanna go out for lunch? You look a little hungry."

"Oh! Uh, yeah sure... let me get ready though... gotta brush my mane, ya'know?" Rainbow stuttered. "While you wait, wanna come inside?"

"Why not?" Soarin chuckled again, and made his way over to the couch and sat down. Rainbow ran into her bedroom to fix herself up. Soarin looked at the clock, waiting for the time to pass. Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

Comments ( 30 )

Wow... This was cute:rainbowkiss:

Awww, that's sweet! It's started out really dark and sad, but then turned really sweet really fast! ^^ Keep up the good work!

5820349 Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

Yay, so cute. :twilightsmile:
WAIT!!! Tea break.:derpytongue2:

5820435 You and your tea... :facehoof: :twilightsheepish:

5820437
Tea s good, tea is great.
Let hope we're not too late.
Everybody need some tea.
A fine thing that all people need

UGHHH! I have no ideas for the contest! I think I have one, but I dunno how to write it! Anyways, great story!

Awesome so cute :heart:

5821768 Thank you & good luck on your story!

I already sent in my entry.

Your story is awesome! I can't believe there's already hot competition!

5832838 I'm sure yours is really good!

Really needs an editor... There are a lot of errors I saw.

Great story, but I advice going over it a few times checking for incorrect tenses, and punctuation problems. They are everywhere.

5926284 Thanks- I'll go check it out. :twilightsheepish: Sorry about all of the mistakes.

5926284 It would also be nice if you could point out some of my mistakes- if you don't mind.

5926291 Most of them are tenses during the part after the letter is written.

5927992 Ok, thank you! I'll be sure to fix them. :twilightsmile:

5928619 you are welcome.

Nice Story Love it! :3

Aww, the feels!:applecry::fluttercry::raritystarry::rainbowkiss::twilightsmile:

The story was rather cute but I would appreciate it if longer. The conflict was resolved in a matter sentences, when it should have been a little more difficult to solve and with Dash mostly. She wouldn't show Soarin that she was hurting, instead she would angrily push him away. It would have been 20% cooler if it was longer, just saying. As mentioned before, this is a cute idea that has worked many times in different fanfics all used in their different ways. Also I liked how you made the ending a reference to the beginning :rainbowkiss:

So cute ♥ :rainbowkiss:

7081050 Glad you enjoyed. :)

This was so cute!

Login or register to comment