• Published 27th Feb 2015
  • 1,700 Views, 69 Comments

Words to Live By - RaylanKrios



Spike works hard at being a noble dragon, but what happens when he starts to question his Dragon Code?

  • ...
6
 69
 1,700

Chapter the Ninth

For the first time he could remember the Carousel Boutique appeared more foreboding than inviting. Usually the thought that Rarity was inside the building spurred Spike toward the dress shop like a piece of thread being pulled by a needle. But right now, knowing that Rarity was, more likely than not, in her parlour room filled Spike with the sort of dread that led him to start this whole misadventure.

For a moment he allowed himself to wonder if his relationship with Rarity was damaged beyond repair. He had never snapped at her before, he’d never done anything other than fawn over her before. The closest he came to anything less than constant adoration was the one time he gently suggested that she might be suffering the effects of a cursed spellbook, and that didn’t count, because it was true.

“Hi Rarity,” Spike said, looking down at the ground, his claws clasped in front of him, one leg scratching the other.

“Hello Spike.” The clipped cadence Rarity used was almost as heartbreaking as if she shut the door in his face.

Spike took a deep breath. “I’m sorry I yelled at you the other day. I’m back to trying to act like a pony if you still want to be my friend.”

Rarity unleashed a squeal of delight and practically pounced on the small drake. “Oooh my precious little Spikey Wikey is back, I’m so relieved.”

Spike allowed himself a brief moment to enjoy the hug. The lavender scent of Rarity’s coat, the sublime softness of her fur, the affection with which she squeezed, all of it allowed him to push his fears and guilt aside. “I guess you’re not mad at me,” Spike said from beneath the heavenly embrace.

Rarity gave him one more reassuring squeeze. “No dear, I accept your apology. Though if I may ask, what prompted such a drastic behavior change?”

Unlike when Fluttershy asked the question the answer wasn't so straightforward, but he still owed Rarity an explanation. “I… thought maybe things would be different if I changed who I was.”

Rarity’s expression grew decidedly concerned. “Why would you possibly think that?”

“Something happened,” was the only explanation Spike was willing to give.

“My goodness Spike, what could have happened that was so terrible?”

“It's not important,” Spike mumbled.

“I dare suggest it must be if it made you so upset.”

Spike took a deep breath. “Until a few days ago I kinda sorta thought of myself as a kind of knight.” Spike winced as he braced himself for Rarity to laugh at him, or at least politely titter. But Rarity only smiled at him, bidding him to continue. “And then, well I realized that I wasn’t really a knight so I decided to be a dragon, but I didn’t know how dragons behaved so I went to Canterlot and met a dragon who gave me this really old book and it said that dragons..” Spike paused to take another breath. “It says that dragons only really care about themselves.”

“Why would you ever want to behave that way?”

“It’s not as bad as it sounds. Dragons think that if everybody looks out only for themselves, then everyone is better off as a whole.” Rarity raised a skeptical eyebrow. “It doesn’t matter,” Spike sighed. “I tried being a knight and I tried being a dragon, maybe I should just try being Spike for a while.”

“Well, whatever you decide to be, you should know that just being Spike is all I ever want from you.”

Spike smiled. “I guess I never asked you how your date went.”

“Ugh,” Rarity groaned. “Being charmingly shy may make for a endearing introduction but it makes for lousy dinner conversation. Mark my words Spike the next date I go on will be with someone confident enough to look me in the eye and hold a conversation without constantly asking if I’m having a good time.”


A few weeks later, Spike was returning home from buying groceries at the market. He had stopped pretending that he could be the type of dragon, Balroth would admire, but he also found that he still couldn't think of himself as a knight either. In the interim he focused on doing his chores and trying to be a good friend.

With those modest goals he was more than a little surprised when he opened the door to find all six of his best friends waiting for him in the grand hall of the castle.

Twilight stood in the front of the room. An imposing looking sword stood next to her.
A simple smile from Twilight assured him that he wasn’t about to be beheaded With an outstretched hoof she beckoned him forward.

“Kneel,” Twilight said gently when Spike reached the end of the carper.

Despite his confusion Spike did as he was told, staring at the ground all the while.

“Let the word go forth that in honor of your exemplary bravery, loyalty and kindness shown in the defense of both Equestria and the Crystal Empire. I, Princess Twilight Sparkle hereby name you a knight of Equestria.” Twilight levitated the sword and tapped him on his right shoulder with the flat of the blade, then she did the same for his left shoulder. “Arise sir Spike.”

A cheer went up from the small crowd and Spike stood up. Twilight gently handed him the sword she had just used to anoint him. “Every knight needs a sword, right Spike?”

Spike twirled the sword in his claw, it was heavy, but perfectly balanced, the jeweled pommel helping to offset the weight of the blade. It was also a perfect length, being small enough for him to wield comfortably, but large enough that he could carry it for years before he outgrew it. A few practice swings that cut through the air with a woosh confirmed that Twilight hadn’t given him a toy but an actual weapon.

“This was nice of you Twilight, pretending to make me a Knight,” Spike said, still marveling at his new sword.

“I'm not pretending, you're really a Knight.”

“Really?”

“Yep. You are a one hundred percent officially certified Knight of Equestria. There's a copy of your ordination at the castle and everything.”

“Does Equestria even have knights?” Spike asked, still worried his new title was meaningless.

“You're the first,” Twilight admitted sheepishly. “But I don't think you'll be the last.”

“Whoa cool,” Spike said as his smile grew wider.

As with all celebratory events in Ponyville this one required a Pinkie party. Pinkie had never thrown a “congratulations on being knighted party”, but that didn't stop her from going all out. There were mediaeval themed decorations, barrels of punch and tiny sandwiches with little swords in them in lieu of toothpicks.

In the midst of the revelry Rainbow saddled up to Twilight. “You really went through the trouble of officially knighting Spike? I mean I know you like paperwork but that can't have been easy.”

Twilight shrugged. “Celestia was a bit skeptical that we needed another designation, and Luna needed some convincing too but Spike does a lot for us, and sometimes I forget how hard it must be for him to be surrounded by ponies. Besides look how happy he is.”

A quick glance over at Spike, beaming as he danced with Rarity was all Rainbow needed to agree. “You definitely made the little guys year, that's for sure.”

After the the guest had all gone home, and Twilight had gone to bed, Spike found himself looking in the mirror.

Be Generous
Be Kind
Be Honest
Be Loyal
Spread Joy
Be like Twilight

Author's Note:

Okay so this is over. When I started it I think I intended for it to be longer, and more involved, but when I was writing it it became more of a slice of life.

Is there another version of this story where Spike goes further down the path of being a dragon? Yeah. But someone else will have to write it.

Thanks for reading.

Comments ( 9 )

:duck: Prince,Noble,Knight whatever...

:rainbowlaugh: Once a night is enough

:pinkiehappy: two nights are a day 1/2

:ajsmug: three nights and Twilight gets worried

:flutterrage: You missed our spa time!

:raritystarry:

Well, if you want to get technical, the Mane 6 may also be knights, if a certain scene of Season 2 is interpreted as a knighting... :twilightsmile:

A simple smile from Twilight assured him that he wasn’t about to be beheaded With

Missing period.
Besides that, amazing story. Spike characterization is wonderful, also I like that he gets a lot of recognition in the end.

Great ending.

Balroth is Ayn Rand, right?

7627105 I was wondering if anyone would notice that, yes Balroth's dragon Philosiphy borrows heavily from Raynd, though the book Ch'tulash gave Spike is akin to The Republic.

Nicely done.

Personally... I don't think the story would have been well served by Spike getting... more like the sort of dragon he thought he should be. It would have been more of the same narratively, I think, but presumably getting worse and worse and standing more chance of painting the story into a corner it would be very hard to get Spike out of at the end. (And really, the very LAST thing Spike really needs is to be more like other dragons; if anything, the reverse is true!)

So I think this was definitely the right way to go about this story; more a sort of approximately-episode-level screw-up and not something more serious than that.

So glad this story finally got it's closure. Wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Maybe I'll read it again from the beginning just to get the whole story again. Thank you for a pleasant journey!

7660012 glad you liked it.

This was a great read. It really illustrates well how most of us, if not all of us, question our own moral codes while growing up and throughout the rest of our lives. I think it's always good to question such things so that you never find yourself going along with something because 'that's just how it is'. Spike questioned what he wanted his code to be, changed it, and found that it wasn't what he wanted, but in the process, he realized that his old code wasn't entirely a perfect fit for him either. In the end, he didn't get all his questions about his own morals answered, but I think he realized that that's okay. He can just be the best Spike he can be, and figure things out along the way, which is really what everyone does. He still sticks with his old moral code, but isn't afraid to question it, and ends up wiser all around.

A+

Login or register to comment