• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 4,220 Views, 57 Comments

Beyond the Books - TTV_KingPhoenixEmbers



It's your day off, and you take a trip to the library. Things go downhill from there.

  • ...
4
 57
 4,220

Chapter Six

Beyond the Books

Chapter Six

Something very, very warm was pressed against you. Did you know what it was? Not a chance. Did you care? Not really. It felt... nice, comforting. Something that could push away all of your fears and nightmares. You're not sure you wanted to let go.

“Umm... e-excuse me?”

Since when did snuggle pillows talk? And why did the voice make your wings flutter in happiness? You weren't sure, but you just snuggled up closer to the soft, fluffy pillow. You were careful to avoid the mane it had that was trying to stuff itself up your nose.

Wait.

A mane. A purple and violet mane.

...Horseapples.

“Oh my gosh, I'm so, SO sorry!” You exclaim as realization dawns on you, and you push yourself away from the target of your affection. In the process, you end up crashing on the floor in your haste to back up. “I-I didn't mean to spoon you like that! I-I mean –”

You stop as she giggles at you, making you pay attention to her blushing face and realize how hot your cheeks feel.

“It's alright,” She says, as she carefully steps down next to you. There's that blush with that smile again. Oh Celestia, has anyone told her how adorable it looks? “You were just holding me a bit tight.”

“Uhh... y-you didn't mind?” You ask, voice squeaking in the process. Thanks, brain, for making me sound like a colt.

Twilight just giggles again, as she gently helps you up, “It's alright. I remember letting you share the bed with me.”

You visibly relax for the most part, but your wings once again perform mutiny. They refuse to move from their upright position. What does Twilight do when she notices? She gives a very flirtatious brush of her tail against your muzzle, swaying her flanks as she heads out of her loft and down towards the kitchen.

“Once you've taken care of your...” She says, pausing at the door and giving you her best sultry look. Her emphasis on the next word doesn't help your current state. “Wings... come on downstairs for breakfast.”

You know how your wings were the only thing stiff this morning? Yeah, about that... you're thankful that she's as brilliant as she looks, and displeased that your body is a traitor to your mind. Somewhat. By the time you get downstairs, your wings are not nearly as stiff as they were several minutes ago, and your mind is much clearer.

“Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry for what I said earlier!” Twilight exclaims, her face showing how embarrassed she was. “I-I wasn't really thinking, I'd just woken up, a-a-and...”

You silence her with a kiss, making her freeze in place. After about a minute of this, you pull away. Somewhere in your mind, you're wondering what the buck you're thinking, but at the moment, you don't care.

“It's fine,” You say slyly, as you head over to the kitchen. You flick your medium-length red tail over her snout as you pass. “Thanks for breakfast.”

There's no response as you enter the kitchen, where Spike is waiting with a pan of lukewarm pancakes. You pause to listen to the other side of the door, giving a smirk when you hear Twilight race upstairs and shut the door. Spike doesn't seem to notice as he greets you. You thank him for the food, to which he just waves it away and says it was no problem. About a minute later, you finish, and help him clean up before the both of you get to work. On your way out, Twilight comes back down from her room, and you notice that her mane is slightly disheveled.

“Where are you going?” She asks hastily, trying to keep your attention away from her messy appearance.

“I have to get to work. I'm late as it is,” You answer, letting a smirk take over your face. Her blush deepens.

“Put away that smirk!”

“I can't help it, you just look so –”

“If you even THINK of finishing that –”

“Oh my, what's that I smell, Twilight?” She freezes as you give an exaggerated sniff of her mane. “Come now, there are young ones here!”

She stomps her front hooves foalishly, “Stop it! Just get going!”

Her frustration is belayed by the smile tugging at her mouth, making your smirk widen into a naughty grin. Dear Celestia, look at that horn glow. With a twitch of her eyes, she grabs you in a lavender aura of magic, flings open the door, and chucks you outside. You turn just in time to watch the door slam shut before you hear the distinctive click of it locking. You're chuckling as you start to head out, but then your head is enveloped in the same aura and dragged back just in time for one hay of a kiss. Unfortunately for you, your wings shoot straight up once more.

That is for kissing me without asking,” She scolds softly. “I'll see you back here tonight?”

“Yeah, sure.”

This time the door closes much more quietly, and it takes you a minute to gather your thoughts before finally flying off to work.

“Took you long enough,” Your bud states, giving you a strange look as he passes you your assignment. “You fight the alarm again?”

“No,” You say, as that old smirk comes right back.

“What'd you do?”

“Woke up late.”

“What? No, that can't be it! C'mon, something happened! Tell me!”

“Tell you what? There's nothing to tell.”

“Yes there is, you wouldn't be smirking like that! You did something last night! Who was it with? Tell me it wasn't – OW! Hey boss.”

Your smirk widens to a grin as you watch your boss smack your friend on the back of his head. “Morning, boss.”

“What took you so long to get here?” Skydancer asks you, giving you a raised eyebrow.

“Woke up late.”

She continues to stare at you, and you just stare back calmly, because it isn't a lie. It's not the whole truth, but it certainly isn't a lie. After a few moments, she just smirks right back at you and waves at you with her wing, beckoning you to follow outside.

“How're things going between you two?” She asks as soon as your friend is out of earshot.

You aren't surprised she figured it out so easily. She's the boss for a reason, after all. “Pretty well. Got stuck at her place last night, let me sleep in the same bed. Woke up accidentally spooning her, left after breakfast and some sleep-induced flirting.”

“And your assignment today is...?”

“You're the one that wrote it.”

“I write a lot of things, humor me.”

“I'm just clearing the skies over by the Everfree Forest.”

“Then get moving. Lots of clouds over there, I bet Twilight'll be waiting for you to get back. Even if you end up spooning her again.”

She grins at the blush on your face as she says that, just before heading back inside to probably do more paperwork. You take a moment to shake off that talk with your boss and head out towards the most frightening place ever: the Everfree Forest.

Well, okay, you weren't going to actually be in the forest, but it's still a scary place. You were just going to be flying about very close to those dark, shady trees and the creepy shadows lying in between said trees and the bushes with the – OKAY. STOP THINKING ABOUT THAT. Keep your cool.

It's just a forest.

The Everfree Forest. The creepiest, darkest, most dangerous forest in Equestria.

Yeah, you're doomed, even though you're not going in. At least, that's your thought as you try not to fly the buck out of there while kicking the clouds into oblivion. It only takes a couple minutes for you to relax, thankfully, realizing that your fear is completely irrational since you're not even going into the forest.

But it's still a damn scary forest.

You finish your assignment about three hours later, mostly because clouds from over the forest kept creeping into the area you had to keep clear. At least it was done now. Thank Celestia. The reason for your near panic attack for simply being near the bucking forest is one you keep to yourself. Not even your best friend knows. And if you have your way, it's a secret you'll take to your grave.

You're not sure if you'll even be willing to tell Twilight, no matter how much your adoration for her has grown.

It takes only a moment to return to your boss, giving her a cheesy salute once you've landed.

“I told you to stop that!” Skydancer exclaims, despite the smile trying to show itself on her muzzle.

“I may or may not have forgotten that.”

“Whatever. Did you do your assignment?”

“Yup, clouds near forest are no longer in existence. Also got rid of clouds that were creeping into my area from over the forest.”

“...I'm sorry for having to give you that assignment,” She said after a moment, giving you a sad look. You look down. You hadn't told her why you hated that forest so much, but she was one of the most perceptive ponies you knew; she had her suspicions about your reasons, and respected your wish to keep it to yourself.

“It's fine,” You say after a moment of reminscing,that one memory forever burned into your mind leaping forth. “I'll be alright. Is that all today, boss?”

“Yeah, that's all, you can head out.”

You nod and immediantly head to the desk, where you tell your friend that you've finished your work, and that you'll be leaving. He only nods, he's got a lot of paperwork to deal with right now. You know that you told Twilight you'd return right away, but after dealing with the clouds by the forest... you need a moment.

You can't risk losing your composure. Especially with that on your mind.

Landing near Sugarcube Corner, you head in for a light lunch, or perhaps a large one. You're not sure yet, but it'll certainly taste delicious and take your mind off of your memories.

“Hello, dear,” Mrs. Cake smiles to you, as you approach the counter. “Anything in particular you're looking for?”

“Hmm... not really, just something to snack on, I guess,” You admit. “How about one double-chocolate muffin?”

“Alright, that'll be two bits, please.”

You hoof over the requested price, and take a few minutes to sit inside and nibble on the delicious morsel. You've been to other cities and their resturaunts, but none of them seemed to beat Ponyville's Sugarcube Corner. Once you've finished, you find that despite the calm, welcoming interior of the building didn't soothe your mind all that much. All the food did was satisfy your stomach. So you head out, towards the outskirts, opting to walk this time. It's important that you do. It takes only a minute to reach your destination, and you look down at the stone.

“Hey... it's been a while.”

You lay down where you stand, laying a hoof on the patch of grass there. You proceed to quietly tell her everything that had happened in the past week. The tears drip down your cheeks some. No matter how long it's been...

It still hurts. It always will...

By the time you return to the library, it's been almost three hours since you last ate, but you certainly feel better.

“Hey,” You call as you enter the building, smiling as you spot the lavender unicorn standing at her podium, book open and several others floating above her head.

A quill is scratching furiously against a nearby roll of parchment, taking notes as quickly as she could read. She didn't hear you. You sneak up behind her, temporarily consider doing what you did last time, but then get a better idea: you gently press your lips against her the side of her neck, right on her jawline. Twilight Sparkle immediantly freezes, almost dropping the floating objects as her cheeks and neck warm up right under your lips.

“Looks like I got your attention,” You grin when you pull away, as she turns to you, face red.

“Good afternoon,” She decides to say, once she places the books down on the circular table behind her. “How was work?”

“Wasn't hard. Had to clear the skies near the Everfree, but it only took me a couple hours, so it wasn't too bad.”

“That's good to hear. Is there anything you'd like to do?”

“Hhmm... not really. Any other books you'd like to recommend me?”

Twilight smiles and immediantly floats over a book that she'd set down. Reading the title, you feel a bit confused.

The Science of Clouds?” You ask, looking at the book as you pick it up. “Twilight, I work in weather control.”

“I know, but this is about the magic of clouds and how a pegasus' magic relates to it.”

You raise an eyebrow and open the book to the table of contents. The titles of the chapters catch your attention.

Clouds of the Past?” You read quietly, before flipping to the first chapter. “This is how they dealt with weather a thousand years ago!”

“See, I knew you'd like it!”

“Twilight, this is really cool!” You exclaim, reading a line.

She grins and returns the sneaky smooch you gave her, before she moves over to near you and continues her studies right by you. It was going to be a quiet afternoon, and after today, you needed that.

Whether she knew it or not, this unicorn knew how to treat you right, how to make you feel better.

There was a reason you liked her, after all...

Author's Note:

And after taking almost forever, I have finally made Chapter Six! Enjoy, everypony.

Comments ( 17 )
TMH

It's been awhile. That said, I really enjoyed the chapter and hope to see much. much more.
Hopefully quicker than three months.

Carry On

Been along time. I am glad this story is not dead.

and the warm ending to this chapter was just that warm and nice.

Good work

"As you spend more and more time at the Ponyville Library, things between you two get... interesting" Clopfic me thinks.

Who died?

Whether he knows it or not, this author knows how to treat his audience right, how to write a story we enjoy reading.
There is a reason it made the Featured Stories list, after all... :ajsmug:

Seriously, great job! You've got me hooked! :rainbowwild:

I came for clop and I better get some

It seems as if this story is REALLY stereotypical. I mean you even added in dead-parents/brother/sister/relative. That being said, the writing is still good.

2115833 I'm good for now. Thanks for the offer, though. I know I've got a lot of mistakes going on, I'm just not interested in a proofreader, to be honest. I'd rather just have the mistakes pointed out in the comments after and learn from my mistakes for the future.

do update when you can I do like this story :ajsmug:

2108690
I'm guessing one of his parents. I'm also guessing that their death is related to his fear of the Everfree.

2116389
Muse Scroll. Y U NO UPDATE?!

That hiatus needs to go away... I need more chapters XP

So is this ever going to be finished?

Pretty nice to read. It's one of the better first person stories I've read.

When this shalt update?

The whole wing thing was for comical relief, a joke just to kick of the movie but all you fools can do is make some big deal like this out of it. I am disappointed in you all

Login or register to comment