• Published 28th May 2014
  • 3,321 Views, 23 Comments

Prince Spike - The Howling Behemoth



Spike is pulled from his simple life to the life of prince of all dragons, a constant struggle for survival and dominance.

  • ...
1
 23
 3,321

Family Reunion

Spike slept like the baby he was, that means he was tossing and turning. Babies don't sleep peacefully, they wake up screaming.

-In Dream

Spike was running through the forest.

He had to escape the beast that was following him. It wasn't just any beast, it was a dragon.

"Twilight!" He cried.

He was alone, the thing was going to get him.

All because he had failed.

"HALT DRAGON!" The familiar use of Canterlot voice echoed through his mind.

Out of a flash of light came Princess Luna.

She stared at the dragon of shadow with a blank look, far from impressed.

Spike watched as her horn began to glow, before firing two magic bolts. They both hit their mark with the dragon, bringing it to a halt.

She moved closer towards it's head. With a blast that was more like an explosion, she erased the shadow dragon's head from it's body.

Spike could only let of a small. "Whoa."

Her eyes turned to the baby dragon in curiosity.

"That was fun." She spoke. "Who was the beast we just slayed?"

"M-my relative, the one I got the Old Blood from."

Luna gave the headless dragon a side glance. "Spike, the one who sired thee would never have fallen so easily." Luna stated. "Neither was he ever that puny."

"What?" Spike asked in fear.

That dragon had been bigger and fiercer than his greed transformation from Old Blood. In that form, he nearly strangled a full grown dragon to death. What could be worst than that?

"Shall we move to a more settling location?" She asked.

With a nod, they were out of the woods. They were now stand in the Canterlot gardens. It was always one of his favorite places to visit, right after Pony Joe's.

"Tell us what troubles thee." Luna kindly ordered.

Spike looked down as he mumbled. "What if I mess up?" He asked.

"Thou are in a test to see if dragons and ponies can live together." Luna stated. "Thou has proven thyself capable of that everyday." She clarified. "There is no 'messing up' that can occur."

"But I'm not like other dragons." Spike stated. "What if they see me as a disgrace and don't want the peace treaty?"

"Then there will be...consequences." The Princess answered.

Spike wanted to talk more, but he noticed the surrounding areas beginning to break away.

"Thou are't being awakened." Luna answered the unasked. "We shall see thee soon."


"Wake up Spike." Twilight spoke as she shook the dragon.

The baby dragon nearly jumped from his basket in shock. He took a minute to groggily rub his eyes before focusing on the mare before him.

"Aw, Twilight." He moaned. "Princess Luna and I were talking."

This had taken Twilight by surprise. From her knowledge, Princess Luna had had no direct contact with Spike prior to the day before. Usually there contact was because she or the Elements were involved. And that one time with Scootaloo.

"About?" She questioned.

Spike couldn't tell her, he was forbidden to do so. The Princesses didn't want him telling the main six from fear of them trying to influence him in such a dire situation. They cared for the mares, but they could turn some of the simplest situations into a week long adventure.

This was too important.

"Nothing." He lied.

Twilight knew it was a lie, but decided not to push the situation.

"Well, let's go." She spoke. "We have to get you ready for the big assignment."


Twilight was having Spike brush up on politics when the rest of the main six arrived.

"What are you all doing here?" Spike asked, grateful for the distraction.

"Well you didn't expect us to not see you off did you?" Pinkie asked. "Besides, we can have a small party until-"

"PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE AND SPIKE THE DRAGON!" A familiar shout rang. "WE HAVE COME!"

"Never mind."

The Princess was already there and apparently had come alone.

"Greetings Elements of Harmony." The Princess bowed, which the mares returned. "We-I have come for Spike."

"Princess Luna, I actually had a few questions before you leave." Twilight spoke. "I was wondering, where is the dragon kingdom?" She asked as she pulled out a few books. "There is very little knowledge of their race, and their home is not an exception."

"For good reason." Luna spoke. "Dragons are a race of strength, only those who prove themselves worthy can gain any real knowledge from them. Dragons live in the only place all but the bravest or foolish fear to tread." Luna continued. "The heart of the badlands."


When Princess Luna said the heart, she meant the heart.

They had been flying for what seemed like ours, which was pretty accurate. But that was only after she used a long range teleportation spell.

The Princess decided to bring the baby dragon alone for several reasons. Minus Rainbow Dash, she doubted any other Pegasi would be able to keep up. No Unicorn, minus Twilight would be have the power to teleport at such a distance. Plus, Belgabad and the other dragons liked her the most.

"Um Princess?" Spike spoke after so long of silence.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you could tell me about my relative." He continued. "The one I used the Old Blood from."

"It was not just any of thine relative Spike, it was thine father." She stated with a hint of..agitation?

"I have a dad?" He whispered. "C-Can you tell me about him?"

"His name is Belgabad, he is considered the greatest of all dragons." She began. "He is by far, the most powerful to date."

"Is he important?" Spike asked.

"Yes." She, nor her sister, had told him about his specific lineage.

"What's he like?" Spike asked.

"Well, he is large." She began. "So large that his head touches the clouds at full height and shakes the very ground when he walks." She continued, ignoring his paling color. "He wrestles with Ursa Majors for fun since most other creatures don't last long."

"Fun?" He questioned. "Last long?"

"Not many know what it's like to be hit by thine father Spike." She stated. "Because not many can survive a single hit. The blow doesn't hurt at first, because it's as if he knocks thee from thine own body." She sighs. "Then reality comes crashing down with a vengeance and you realize something dangerous, you are a being fighting a living earthquake."

"Well...what's he like as a person?" Spike asked. "Is he...a good dragon?"

Princess Luna had turned her head to see the baby dragon on her back. "What is thine definition of a good dragon?"

"Well..." He didn't know.

"I stated that thine father is considered the greatest of them all." Luna repeated. "That is because he holds up all that it means to be a dragon: Might is right and the strong survive."

"Please tell me that there's more to it than that." He begged.

"Well..." She thought of something less abrasive. "He is the only known dragon to ever take complete control of himself." She spoke. "He had not only learned to master his greed, but the dragon's legendary rage as well."

"And my mother?" Spike asked.

"We...are not sure actually." She stated, turning her head away.

From then on, it was silence.

They had arrived to the boarder of Equestria and the Badlands in record time. It was nothing like he had imagined. It was too...lush.

There was a green pasture pasture with all kinds of flowers. Trees that bore such lush fruit that it would make any vegetarian drool.

"Let us not linger Spike." Luna spoke. "We are meeting your father over that hill."

He followed her gaze and began walking.

This, this is how he pictured the Badlands.

The entire area was scorched and now, probably forever, barren! There were pools of molten lavs just laying around. The sky was now now grey-to-black with smoke.

The Alicorn stepped forward to speak. "THIS IS PRINCESS LUNA CALLING FOR BELGABAD!" She spoke. "WE HAVE COME WITH THINE SON!"

There was a moment of silence that drew on for far too long.

"Maybe they aren't here?" Spike guessed.

"They are." Luna assured. "Who does thou think made the lava?" She asked before turning back to the molten pool. "BELGABAD, DO YOU HEAR US!" She stated more than asked. "WE CAN SPEAK LOUDER IF THOU WISHES!"

Finally there was a reply.

"Cease your prattling pony Princess." A voice echoed. "We are here."

"We?" She mumbled before getting angry. "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO COME ALONE!"

Spike watched as the lava began to rise from the pool as if it were a bubble going to pop. The size of the bubble grew even larger than the hills that surrounded them. Instead of popping, the lava began to fall off of the creature that has risen.

He had barely noticed the three other, and much smaller bubbles.

Spike looked up and saw his father. Spike was sad to say that the giant looked nothing like him.

His scales were rough and jagged, but had a shine to their brown surface. He had horns partly curved around his head, almost in the form of a crown. Spike saw no wings, but he did see a row of black spines.

Belgabad seemed to posses a strong fire, because he was constantly exhaling smoke with sparks licking the inside of his mouth. There where even a dull shine from the center of his chest where his fire core would be located.

Spike continued to look on in wonder, Belgabad was just as large as Princess Luna claimed if not larger. He could see how this behemoth could fight a Ursa Major.

"What, my son isn't allowed to see his brothers?" Belgabad asked mockingly.

I have brother's? Spike thought excitedly. He tore his eyes away from his father to see them.

There were three of them, each roughly the same size, larger than the size of an average pony. They were teenagers and each were male. Though he couldn't get a good look at them from the distance, he could get a small description of them.

The first one was white, with an under belly, spines and other high-lights of frosty blue. His scales were almost as flawlessly white as Rarity's fur. The spines going down his back looked more like ice shards than spines. He was at least twice the size of Big Mac.

The second was blueish grey, with a light blue under belly. His spines, as well as his ear fins, were the same color as his underbelly.

The third was actually a miniature form of their father. His scales were less rough, but on there way. His horns were more like a bull's. He didn't seem to posses a visibly strong flame such as Belgabad. He was by far the largest, twice the size of his brothers.

"Come here." Belgabad ordered. "Let me look at you."

Spike's father leaned in to see the fruit of his loins and he looked back at his father. Because of his size, Spike saw his reflection as he gazed into his father's eye.

To sat it was off putting would be an understatement.

As he gazed into his father's eye, he felt that sensation again, he felt as if he were gazing into a black hole. Though this time, it was on an even grander scale. Spike felt as if everything in his being was be torn from him. He couldn't so much as breath! It was complete and utter oppression of the being.

The only thing that escaped it was the sea of greed that was present in all dragon eyes. But this was a different type of greed, it was as if avarice itself was putty in his claw.

Spike couldn't keep staring, he had to turn away. But he couldn't!

Spike laid there, he didn't remember falling over, but it had happened.

That's not possible! His distraught mind thought. He's not just powerful, he is power!

"What kind of son have you given me?" Belgabad asked in distaste. "He can't even look into my eye without collapsing!"

"Had w-I raised thou spawn, th-you would have had the son to be proud of!" Luna declared. "Tis not our fault you gave him to Tia."

"Had I given him to you, he'd have been raised to kill me." Belgabad stated.

"...You would still be proud." Luna assured, Belgabad nodded in agreement.

"Let's go, we're returning home." He ordered.

"Spike!" Luna called before they were gone. "Should thou wish to return to Equestria, either send a letter or meet me on the dream planes." She spoke. "We will see thee home."

"What're you talking about pony, he's going home!"


The walk had been in relative silence, just the sound of shaking Earth beneath them, Belgabad walked with Spike on his head. His brothers had flown home, leaving the father and son alone. Thanks to his size, he was able to cover ground in a more than impressive pace.

From his vantage point, Spike could see that his father didn't have wings. But there were too scars were they should have been.

"Say something!" His father snapped. "Don't tell me you're too scared to talk."

He was afraid to say something, he hadn't wanted to anger the colossal dragon. That didn't mean he hadn't wanted to say anything, he had plenty he wanted to ask about.

Where to begin? He asked himself.

"You gave me to ponies for a treaty." He stated more than asked.

"Yes." His father answered.

Spike waited a few minutes until it became clear that his father wasn't going to continue.

"Why?" He asked.

"You are meant to show that we can't be...tamed." He answered. "We are dragons, not common house pets."

"...Why give them an egg, why me?" Spike asked.

"You weren't supposed to hatch."

"Are you saying I'm a...mistake?" Spike asked, dread filling him.

This time Belgabad stopped and turned his large eyes up to Spike.

"No, you weren't supposed to hatch." He repeated. "Your egg was a dud, dead."

"But I'm here, alive!" Spike declared.

"Yes, you are." His father agreed. "Why is that?"

Spike noticed that the dragon's eyes were focused on nothing but him. He stared at the baby dragon with a look that demanded an answer.

"I...don't uh..." He didn't know what to say.

His father snorted once, before continuing on their journey.

"It matters not." He declared. "You are here and you are my son."

Spike felt his heart swell up at the declaration. He never thought he'd hear anypo-dragon make that declaration. He liked it.

With that thought in mind, he wanted to know more about his...family. He really liked it.

"Who is my mother, will I meet her?" Spike asked with growing hope.

"Not for a long time, at least I hope." His father asked.

Spike felt his heart break when he heard his father say that. Many thoughts were going through Spike's head. Was there something wrong? Did he do something he shouldn't have?

Did she not want him?

"We'll continue this conversation later." His father stated. "We're here."

Belgabad came to a halt on top of a ridge that gave a perfect view of dragon kingdom For the first time, Spike could see the kingdom, his home.

The home of dragons.

They traveled a little more towards the the kingdom. What would normally take hours by foot for a normal dragon, he did so in mere minutes. They passed large mountains that were nothing more than hills to the large dragon. In the mountains were holes, caves actually, from which dragons stuck there heads from. This was the outer part of the kingdom.

The moved further in, which was more like going up. They seemed to climb the mountain that was covered in mountains. With the design of it and the caves everywhere, Spike was reminded of both an ant hill and a diamond dog's mine.

Then came the center of the kingdom, a citadel of stone, as far as his eyes could see, an just as equally large. It had to be to accommodate all of the dragons and their massive size. The land of dragons was encompassed by a wall of barrier like colossal volcanoes, reaching the end of the horizon.

Spike watched in wonder as his kin moved around the citadel, some flew as high as the sky or scale the walls. Others would lay around like a house cat or chat peacefully with each other, like common neighbors.

"Whoa." Was all he could say.

"Not what you expected, is it?" His father asked. "I bet you thought it would be all erupting volcanoes and fighting for dominance, am I right?"

That, in fact, was what he was expecting from the dragon land.

"Sorry." Spike mumbles.

"We are more than fire-breathing titans." Belgabad declares. "It is a large percentage." He admitted. "But not all."


As Spike and his father made their way through the kingdom, he noticed many of the other dragons acting strangely. They bowed to his father and barely noticed him, not surprising considering his size. Those that did began starting harsh whispers which soon passed on to other dragons.

"What's going on?" Spike asked.

His father just cast him a smirk. "Didn't know your father was a bit of a celebrity, did you?" Belgabad asked.

"I just assumed that you were respected for being the biggest." Spike answered.

His father just growled at the statement before glaring up at Spike.

"Size isn't what makes them bow before me." Belgabad stated harshly. "It's respect. I could be twice my size or even half yours, wouldn't mean they would respect me."

"Are you some kind of hero?" Spike asked.

"...You really don't know who I am, do you?"

"Belgabad, largest dragon ever and the only one to master your greed." Spike stated, that was all he knew.

"Hehehe, I guess they would leave out the rest." He mumbled.

Belgabad carried Spike all the way to the castle was. In the center of the citadel, the location of the palace, it seemed to be the only place capable of holding Belgabad without breaking.

They walked through the chamber entrance with two guards posted on watch. They two bowed before Belgabad.

Between them was a large carving of a dragon chasing it's tail with a ruby in the center of it etched into a wall. It was a large door Spike realized as his father pushed on. It opened to reveal a room that was as massive as it amazing.

It was so large that even Belgabad could walk through with room to spare. The ceiling was held up by pillars of solid jade with a serpent coiling around.

Then there was what he assumed dragons used as a thrown. It was solid gold well, as large as a chasm, filled to the top and overflowing with gems.

Spike continued to look at the thrown as his father made his way towards it.

"Are you...friends with the king?" Spike asked. "Or are you his right hand-dragon, general?"

Belgabad didn't answer, he just smirked even harder.

Spike's jaw fell to the ground as his father not only walked towards the thrown, but sat him on it!

"I am Belgabad the Behemoth, King of all dragons!" He declared. "You my son, are their Prince!"

"...Oh boy."


Spike had been given a room in the castle, just the kind a Prince deserved.

There wasn't much to it, it was basically a large cave inside the castle. Though it was large, large enough for a full grown dragon and his hoard.

There was no bed for him to sleep on, dragons didn't have beds. Instead, there was a pile of assorted gems to sleep on. His father called it his first and last 'allowance'. If he wanted anymore, he'd have to earn them like a real dragon would, by either digging or fighting.

It was comfier than he expected, but hard not to eat. Though with the comfy-ness, minus the desire to eat, he was unable to sleep.

He had always wanted to know where he came from. He found out what he was and where he came from.

He had finally met his father, a King! He was a Prince!

He had his answers. Now what?

Can't let the night be wasted. He thought as he made his way out of his room.

Spike had been walking around the castle for officially five minutes before one thing became apparent. He was lost.

He had not seen or heard another dragon since he attempted to sleep. The halls were so large and vast that he thought he was in a cavern, especially since he couldn't find anything that stood out more than another.

Then an all too familiar sensation fell onto him, like a physical weight. He was just barely able to stand it and not collapse on himself. It was similar to when his first felt his father, but nowhere near as strong, this was an ant in comparison.

"Well well well, look at what we have here." A rough voice spoke.

Spike turned to see one of his brothers, it was the one that looked like his father.

"What-"

Before Spike could say anything, the larger dragon grabbed Spike by his neck. He raised the smaller dragon up to eye level and glared.

"What's so special about you?" He asked. "You are no different than the other dragon's I've seen." He dropped Spike harshly and chuckled. "Pathetic."

"Pathetic, you've taken a single look at me." Spike stated as he stood up. "I've taken one look at you, and I'm not impressed."

Spike was shocked at the words that were coming out of his mouth, they weren't what he wanted to say. Yet they kept flowing out without restraint.

He noticed that the more he talked, the more the weight shifted.

"What?" His brother asked angrily.

"All I see is a son trying to be like daddy." Spike added. Why am I saying this, do I have a death wish?

"You little-"

Whatever he was planning to say was lost in a rage filled roar. He stood on his hind legs and his chest expanded, Spike knew what he was planning.

Fire.

It erupted with a force Spike didn't think possible, but not from his brother.

The fire tore through from behind the larger dragon, pushing him into the wall behind Spike. He hit the wall with such force that it cracked on contact.

Spike looked at his downed brother, he didn't get up or even twitch. He was covered in burns from where the flames came in contact with him. At least third degree. It was an impressive and fearsome sight, his brother was large enough that an average dragon shouldn't be able to burn him that severely.

With that in mind, he turned to see who could do such a thing.

Belgabad.

Spike wasn't sure how such a large dragon was able to get so close so silently, but here he was.

"I warned him and your other brothers not to cause any conflict with you yet." The King spoke. "Insubordination is disrespect, and I do not tolerate disrespect, even from my son." He turned his eyes to Spike. "You did well." He spoke. "Unorthodox, but a good start on your lessons."

"What do you mean?" Spike asked. "What lessons?"

"Lessons for those born to rule!" His father declared. "You resisted him well, but tomorrow is the start of your real trials. You will be tested." Belgabad promised. "Life and Death will be your judge."

That night, as he slept, Spike dreampt of fire.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait. I'm still here.

Comments ( 10 )

wow that is interesting. What causes Spike to talk like that. I guess we will find out soon enough. Great job. Thanks for the update.

Well, that least Spike stood up for himself. Good thing too, things are only going to get worst from here. Though I have to wonder when that romance tag will come into play, I'm thinking dragoness OC.

I needs more.

I'm like this story.

This story is dead

Is this story cancelled cause it hasn't had a new chapter since 2014

Login or register to comment