• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 550 Views, 24 Comments

A Ship-of-the-Line - KonceptKarma



Gallant Topsail has always dreamed of becoming the captain of his own ship. However, his dreams seem to be far from reality as he is merely a cabin boy, but something unecxpected may change that all.

  • ...
0
 24
 550

Epilogue: New Horizon

In the small town of Caballito, a young colt sat on the dock, singing an all too familiar tune, "In the name of ol' Celestia, Equestria's off to war, say..."
"Hey jiggy jiggy jiggy ya ya, Equestria's off to war." A middle aged stallion finished.
"You know the song, father?" The colt asked.
"Aye, that I do Mizzen." He sat down next to the colt.
"You know, some of the boys at school say you were a captain in the navy once." Mizzen asked, eyes wide with expectation.
"I was, once." He admitted.
"Wait, so you were THE Captain Topsail. We're THE Topsail family?" The colt hopped around his father, bursting with excitement.
"Yes we are." Gallant laughed at the boy's energy.
"I can't believe it. Here I thought you were always a privateer father, but to think, you're the legendary Captain Topsail. The one who single handedly sunk the entire Ciervan Navy!" Mizzen yelled out to no one in particular.
Gallant burst out laughing, "Now where did you hear that ridiculous story?"
"I heard it from uncle Flareluck." The colt answered.
"Now Mizzen, you know your uncle has always been one to blow things way out of proportion." The seasoned sailor chortled.
After a moment's pause, he remembered, "But auntie Celestia told me so too, and she doesn't lie."
"Oh, so she's auntie Celestia now is she?" He questioned.
"Well, she spends as much time around me as uncle Flareluck, so why not?" Mizzen asked innocently.
"Well when you put it that way," Gallant chuckled to himself, "I suppose you're right."
"Hey father..." Mizzen started.
"Yes Mizzen?" He asked.
"How come you never told me?" The colt asked. A genuine look of curiosity on his face.
"I wanted to wait until you were ready. There are some things you must do as a captain in the navy that you have to be older to understand." The stallion explained.
"Like what?" Mizzen asked.
"Like I said," Gallant placed a hoof on his son's shoulder, "I tell you when you're older."
"Well, it's just that," Mizzen started, "I wanted you to tell me some stories. You must have some stories that you can tell me, right?"
After a moment, Gallant answered, "Aye, I suppose I can..." He pondered for a moment, then an idea flickered into his head.
"I'll tell you the story about the time I fought the great sea serpent of the Eternal Strait!" Mizzen's face lit up with excitement as his father began to tell a story that he completely made up, because after all. That's all legends are, stories.

Author's Note:

I know most of you probably weren't expecting the end to be here, but I feel this is the place to end Gallant's story. Keep in mind, I'm going to be writing stories about both Flareluck, and Mainsail. So don't think I'm leaving everything open ended.

Comments ( 9 )

Ending was well honestly, kind of rushed in a way, but it was executed in a nice, heartwarming way that sort of makes up for it. I'll be honest, this wasn't a GREAT read, but it has potential. The retirement line by Celestia and the reference to Mainsail at the end were nice touches, though. Can't wait to see more of your work. :)

3971014 Thanks. I kind of felt the same way about it after I wrote the last chapter. I'm still working on my writing style, and hopefully I'll be able to have it more well rounded with my next few stories.

Comment posted by Railroad Brony deleted Feb 20th, 2014

I added this story to the Battleships Group under the folder "Ship of the Line". I "Mainsail" in the same group under the folder "Age of Sail and Wind". Also, I added both stories to the group "Royal Equestrian NAVY!". Thought you'd like to know.

3975220 Alright, thanks for the info. :twilightsmile:

To be honest Ships of the Line from 1600-1880s were the kinds of ships I was expecting Equestria's navy to have with a few Monitor and Virgiinia Class ironclads for coastal defense

3975757 That would be nice, I suppose.

After Reading Naomi Novak's Temeraire Series I've gained an interest in Age of Sail and Naval fiction

Login or register to comment