• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 551 Views, 24 Comments

A Ship-of-the-Line - KonceptKarma



Gallant Topsail has always dreamed of becoming the captain of his own ship. However, his dreams seem to be far from reality as he is merely a cabin boy, but something unecxpected may change that all.

  • ...
0
 24
 551

Chapter 7.5. The Jig Is Up

Stark pushed open the door of the tavern. Inside was packed with deer and ponies alike, all loud, all rowdy, and all drunk off their flanks. None of them would be useful for information, except maybe one pony, the bartender.
As the orange pegasus sat at the bar, he motioned to the barkeep, "One cider, hard."
"One hard cider comin' up." The barkeep began to pour a mug. As the mug filled, he turned toward Stark, "Here you go, you look like you got something on your mind bud. What's going on?"
Stark knew now was his chance to get some information, "I'm looking for someone. Maybe you know him?"
"I might, depends on who you're looking for." The barkeep leaned in close.
"A fellow by the name of Ardid, you know him?" The pegasus asked quietly.
"Aye, I know him. You'd best be careful not to say his name to loudly though." The barkeep warned.
"Why, what's his name mean to these folk?" His curiosity had peaked.
"Fear, that's what," The barkeep started cleaning out emptied glasses, "these folk fear him more than anything. So someone coming in looking for him can't be a good sign. At least that's what they think.
Stark couldn't help but nod in agreement, "So, do you know where I can find him?"
"Nope, not a clue," As the barkeep answered Stark's head fell, "but, I do know someone who does."
"Really, who?" Stark's popped up.
"A deer by the name of Canalla. He'll know where Ardid slithers off to." The barkeep finished cleaning glasses, and placed his hooves on the counter.
"I can't thank you enough my good man," Stark hesitated for a moment, "but I must say, your attempt to keep me busy was a poor one." Stark looked over his shoulder to find that most of the tavern's patrons had left. Only about a dozen remained in their seats. At the same time, they all stood up, and began walking towards the bar.
"I'm sorry lad, but if they found out that I told you all that and let you go they'd kill me." The barkeep walked out from behind the bar and towards the door.
"It's no problem my good man. We gotta do what we gotta do to survive, isn't that right?" Stark pushed himself off of his seat, drawing his sword in the process. The attackers drew their swords, and charged at him. Stark quickly trotted backwards, and flung himself over the bar. The attackers stumbled at his unexpected move, and were not prepared when he flew out from behind the bar kicking a few of them down as he did so. He then flew out the door and into the street. The crowd outside gasped at the pegasus with his sword drawn, and were even more surprised as the now 8 remaining attackers chased him outside.
"Really, four of you down with one kick. What do the Ciervans pay you for?" Stark taunted. In anger, one of them lunged at him, the pegasus sidestepped him, and smacked him with the hilt of his sword. He then turned and galloped off down the street, with his pursuers close behind. He looked at an upcoming building, which had wooden overhang out in front being supported by two beams, as he galloped past each beam, he bucked it and knocked it away. Before his chasers could react, the overhang collapsed on top of them. Stark took their grunts and moans as signs of defeat. As he was about to fly off, he noticed one of his attackers was still conscious, but pinned by the rubble. He slowly trotted up to him, placed his sword against his neck, and pressed lightly. Not enough to kill him, but enough to draw blood.
"Tell me where Canalla is or I'll press harder." A serious look spread across Stark's face.
"Okay, okay I'll tell you, just don't kill me." He pleaded.
"Well get on with it!" Stark yelled.
"Canalla lives on the plantation on the other side of the island. That's all I know I swear." His voice cracked as he desperately spilled out an answer.
"Good, now if you or your friends tell anyone about this little encounter. I'm going to hunt you down and kill you all, got it?" The pinned pony nodded, and Stark quickly galloped off towards the harbor. Leaving the large crowd that had formed to watch the fight staring in stunned silence. As he galloped off towards the harbor, his mind raced. Even though he threatened them, he knew someone would tell the Ciervans, but most importantly, they now had a way of finding where Ardid was hiding. He didn't know if he could trust the bartender, or the pony who told him out of desperation, but it was all he had to go on. As he galloped at full speed towards the harbor, he noticed Carronade, and a dark blue unicorn trotting out of the shipwright shop.
He called out to them, "Carronade, we have a problem!"