• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 551 Views, 24 Comments

A Ship-of-the-Line - KonceptKarma



Gallant Topsail has always dreamed of becoming the captain of his own ship. However, his dreams seem to be far from reality as he is merely a cabin boy, but something unecxpected may change that all.

  • ...
0
 24
 551

Chapter 12. The 1st Royal Fleet

The four warships sailed into the harbor of Pony Royale. It was about a four days journey from Hispantlerla to the island. As they entered the harbor, they noticed the amount of warships was staggering.
"I've never seem so many 1st rates in one place." Gallant gasped in awe.
"It looks like most of the first fleet is here." Carronade pointed out, he was unconscious for two days after his use of the barricade.
"The strongest fleet in the Equestrian Navy." Stark continued.
"Yup," Carronade pointed to the ship in the center of the group, "and that is the largest ship in our fleet. The ERS Royal Sunfire, a one hundred and twenty gun first rate."
"That's the admiral's flagship, and that's where you're gonna have to go to explain yourself." Stark patted Gallant on the shoulder. He was nervous again, not only was he not really a captain, he was going to have to personally speak to the admiral of Equestria's strongest fleet.

As he climbed aboard a longboat, he gulped in anticipation. He couldn't help but stare at the Sunfire in awe of the sheer size of it. He was ushered into the captain's cabin, where two ponies waited for him. Both of them he instantly recognized. One of them was none other than Princess Celestia herself, but the other pony was the one who truly surprised him.
"What are you doing here?" Gallant asked in disbelief.
The pony chuckled, "It's been a long time Gallant."
"Flareluck, I can't believe it's you," Gallant started, "but more than that, I can't believe you're an admiral."
"I know, it's hard to believe, but I was asked to join in the officer's academy after enlisting. I still have a hard time believing it sometimes." Flareluck let a big grin hit his face.
"Now, don't be so modest Flareluck," The princess spoke up, "you've done a fine job as fleet admiral." She then turned towards Gallant.
"Now, down to business," She motioned for Gallant to sit at the officer's table, "what happened out there? We received no communication for a week from the Resplendent, then when one of our search parties finds you, you're engaged in battle with a Ciervan man o' war."
"Well," He started, "just over a week ago, we were ambushed by a group of privateers. They stormed the ship, and killed Captain Mainsail." The memory of the attack flooded back into his mind, and how the captain sacrificed himself for him. He also noticed a look of shock hit Celestia's face.
"I'm sorry to hear that," She spoke with sorrow, "he was a good man."
"Did you know the captain your highness?" Gallant spoke before he could think, but caught himself, "I'm sorry, it's not my place to ask."
"No, it's not that," Celestia reassured, "perhaps someday I will tell you of how I knew Mainsail, but we have a much more pressing issue at hand."
"Right," added Flareluck, "what happened after the battle?"
"We sailed towards the closest port, Casco. Little did we know that it was where our hunter was hiding out." Gallant continued.
"Your hunter, who would that be?" Flareluck asked.
"A deer named Ardid." Gallant answered.
"I know of him," Celestia spoke up, "he's top level Ciervan intelligence. It's not a good sign if he's helping them."
"Begging your pardon, your highness, but I believe you mean it would be a problem if we didn't capture him." Gallant corrected.
Celestia looked genuinely surprised, "You captured him?"
"Aye, we did. He's locked in the Resplendent's brig as we speak, along with the 'Raging Torrent' Gamberro, and their informant Canalla." The captain added.
"Your crew captured two Ciervan operatives, and a high ranking admiral of their navy, all while in hiding. I've never heard of anything like it," Flareluck spoke to himself in disbelief, he then looked at his old friend with a smile, "but I believe it if it was you Gallant."
"Thanks, uh...sir." Gallant felt odd calling him sir.
Flareluck broke into a fit of laughter, "What's with the sir?"
"Well, you are my ranking officer aren't you?" Gallant asked.
"Yeah, but I've never been one for formalities, and I still haven't been in the job long enough to earn my title yet." His friend sounded a lot like him from a week ago.
"That's true," Celestia put bluntly, "but I think Gallant has more than earned his stripes." Celestia pulled out something from a drawer in the officer's desk, and slid it across the table to Gallant. Upon inspecting it, he realized it was a folded captain's jacket.
"Your highness," He could barely get the words out he was so shocked, "does this mean that I..."
"That means that the Resplendent is yours." Celestia finished for him.

Back aboard the Resplendent, the crew waited anxiously for their captain's return. Even though they were in a friendly port, the air on deck was incredibly tense.
"I wonder how it's going?" Keel asked to no one in particular.
Stark decided to answer, "He's probably getting chewed out."
"What," Carronade blurted out, "why would you think that?"
"Because that always happens. The brass find some reason as to why their soldiers are stepping out of line. Gallant wasn't even a genuine captain when he made all of those judgement calls. I can only say that whatever is going on in there, it isn't good for Gallant." Stark lamented.
"Captain on deck!" One of the crew called out. The three of them turned to see Gallant pull himself onto the main deck of his new ship. His captain's jacket flowing in the sea breeze.
"Ha, I knew it!" Carronade turned to Stark to taunt him.
"Hey," Stark defended himself, "I never said I wanted to be right."
The crew surrounded Gallant, asking him what went on, who promoted him, all manner of questions.
Gallant couldn't contain himself, "Lads, calm yourselves!" He yelled out, but still couldn't hide the huge grin on his face.
"How can you ask us to do that?" One of the crew piped up.
"Aye, this is big news." Stark continued.
"They're right you know." Princess Celestia called out from behind Gallant. Upon noticing that she was standing there, the crew instantly dropped. She smiled at Gallant, who nodded in return.
"I know you'll do well in your new position Gallant. Take a week's rest, then report back to me." She spoke clearly so the whole crew could hear.
"To you, your highness?" Gallant asked.
"Yes, to me. I'll explain when we meet." With that, Celestia flew off towards the Royal Sunfire.
Carronade grabbed Gallant by the shoulders, "That was the princess!"
"Aye, that was." Gallant assured him that he wasn't hallucinating.
"The princess, told you to report to her." Carronade still couldn't quite believe it.
"Aye, she did." Gallant continued.
After a moment, Carronade balanced himself on the deck railing, "Oh, I need to take a minute to take this all in."
"Well, we've got more than a minute, we've got a week. Make for port lads! It's time we got some solid ground under us for a change!" The crew made sail, and pulled into the port of Pony Royale.