• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 550 Views, 24 Comments

A Ship-of-the-Line - KonceptKarma



Gallant Topsail has always dreamed of becoming the captain of his own ship. However, his dreams seem to be far from reality as he is merely a cabin boy, but something unecxpected may change that all.

  • ...
0
 24
 550

Chapter 10. Upstart Newcomer

Ardid sat behind the desk in his room, writing a report back to the king of the Ciervan Empire, King Regio. The king had asked him how the operation was progressing, and currently, as he looked out into the harbor at the still floating ERS Resplendent it was not going smoothly. He had no idea what had been happening ever since the night of the raid. All he knew was the ship was still out there. Did the mercenaries forget to sink it, did the crew repel them, it was all he could think about. So in a hurry, he ordered Gamberro to sail for the island of Costa Reinca to the south, and return with his warships. The Resplendent had to be sunk, and only a military vessel could do it. He took a sip of a glass of wine he had on his desk, calmly thinking over his plan of action. He'd never been bested before, and he didn't intend to let it start now.

The deer's thoughts were cut short as a Ciervan Guard burst into his room, a look of panic on his face.
"Sir, we have a problem!" The guard yelled.
"What is it?" Ardid asked calmly.
"It's the plantation sir," The guard fumbled with his words, "it's been attacked. All the men are dead, and Canalla was nowhere to be found." Ardid's eyes widened as the guard went on with his explanation. A flurry of thoughts rushed into his head. How did they find out about the plantation? When did the attack it? Is Canalla still alive, and if he is did he tell them anything? Ardid knew Canalla, and his calm demeanor suddenly changed to a panicked one, Canalla would have told them everything.
"Pack everything up, we have to get out of here now." Ardid ordered.
"Understood sir." The guard left to get the other deer to help.
"If I ever get my hands on that ratting cabron, I'll kill him myself!" Ardid yelled out to himself as he packed his things in a frenzy. He couldn't let the Equestrians get their hands on anything in the room, it had letters and maps showing battle plans and ships movements. If they got any of it, the war's balance would shift. Except it wasn't a war yet, the Equestrians had no idea of their treachery. The only ones who knew were the crew stationed aboard the man o' war in their harbor. All they had to do was wait for Gamberro to return, and the threat would be vanquished. Ardid began to calm down, and packed his things more slowly. As he walked down the stairs into the lobby, a small regiment of his personal guard were waiting to escort him to a carriage outside. Ardid suddenly became more confident as he looked at his guard. This wasn't some militia force these upstart Equestrians were battling, this was the might Ciervan Empire, and they wouldn't lose so easily.
"Ready sir?" His head guard asked.
"Yes Teniente, I am." Ardid sighed. As they prepared to walk out the door, a small group of fully dressed ponies walked into the inn. At the head of the group was a light brown earth pony with a rough black mane. He leaned against the lobby's counter and rang the service bell.
The innkeeper looked at him, "Sorry boy, we're closed."
"Aw come on now," The earth pony sarcastically pleaded, "I'm just looking to rent out a room here, preferably a nice one. A friend of mine directed me a room 20, is it vacant?" As the realization hit Ardid, it was too late. The earth pony rang the bell again, and all those who followed him threw their coats off to reveal their swords. In seconds Ardid's guards were cut down, and he was the only one left standing.
"Ardid," The earth pony began, "it's nice to finally meet you."
"Who in tartarus are you?" Ardid demanded.
"Me," He continued, "I'm no one importance, or no threat as you put it. The name's Gallant Topsail. Acting captain aboard the ERS Resplendent."
"Ah, that's right," The deer mocked, "acting captain. You're real captain died a week ago didn't he?"
"That's right, he died by your orders." Gallant scowled at the deer.
"Sorry about that, but you know how war works," Ardid chuckled.
"No, I don't know how war works," Gallant corrected, "but I think I'm starting to." He turned toward Ardid, blade drawn.
"So what now? You gonna kill me? Are you gonna take revenge for your precious captain's life?" The deer taunted him.
"Believe me, I want to," He had an unsettling look in his eye, Ardid knew it must be taking all of his willpower to resist driving his blade into him, "but there is something much more important that must be done. I must warn my country of your acts. You're going to answer for them personally." He turned the back of his sword to Ardid and hit him across the face, rendering him unconscious.

When Ardid awoke, he was on the deck of a ship, with his hooves hogtied together. He saw Gallant and a few other crew standing near him. Every now and then, one of them would glance over at him, then continue the conversation. Ardid looked around at the ragtag group of what remained of the ship's crew. How did they even manage to get this far. He then looked at Gallant, it had to have been him. Perhaps he'd underestimated him, perhaps he was of a greater military mind than he thought, and where in tartarus was Gamberro?

Gallant looked around at his crew, they were prepping the ship for the journey to the mainland. With the bulk of the threat of the Ciervans removed from Casco, they could purchase all the supplies they needed without interference. Gallant also turned to Keel, who he'd asked to join them. He handed her a blueprint for a design.
"Can you do it in an hour?" He asked.
"An hour, you're crazy! Even though I'm me, it's still to fast of time for me to make it work." Keel yelled.
"It only needs to work once, and we've gotten all of the best materials you could ask for this time. If you want to get out of here alive, I suggest you at least try to do it." Gallant warned sternly. Keel opened her mouth to retaliate, but gave up, and set off to work on the plans. Her magic bending iron and wood to her will as quickly as possible.
Gallant then turned to Carronade, "Do you think you can do it?"
"Aye, I do, but I can only do it once." Carronade lamented.
"That's all we need. Remember, fifty feet out, two hundred and twenty seven feet long, and fifty one feet tall." Gallant explained, he then trotted over to Ardid.
"Well Captain Topsail," Ardid mocked, "you seem to have taken rather nicely to your new post."
"The men need me to get them home safely. That's what I intend to do." Gallant grabbed Ardid and tied him up to the main mast. The deer struggled as the rope was wrapped around him. As the Resplendent sailed out of the harbor, Ardid couldn't contain himself.
"You know," He taunted, "you're never going to get away with this. The empire will come for me. I am a valuable asset to them."
"Are you now? Well we'll find out after we get back to Equestria now won't we? It was obvious that you didn't want to let us know that you planned on war, so when our government questions your king about your actions what do you really think he's going to do? Send out his ships in droves to recover his one field operative, or deny everything?" Gallant knew he'd hit a nerve with Ardid, as a scowl hit the deer's face.
"You upstart little idiota," Ardid growled, "who do you think you are? You are challenging the might of the Ciervan Empire. You don't stand a chance against us, and when our warships send you and your pathetic crew to tartarus, I'll be the one laughing."
Gallant turned, a small smile across his face, "I'd like to see them try."