• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 551 Views, 24 Comments

A Ship-of-the-Line - KonceptKarma



Gallant Topsail has always dreamed of becoming the captain of his own ship. However, his dreams seem to be far from reality as he is merely a cabin boy, but something unecxpected may change that all.

  • ...
0
 24
 551

Chapter 14. Equestria's Off to War

As I woke up this mornin'
Equestria's off to war

Say, hey jiggy jiggy jiggy ya ya
Equestria's off to war

In the name of ol' Celestia
Equestria's off to war

Say, hey jiggy jiggy jiggy ya ya
Equestria's off to war

We fought the lord King Sombra
and felled his crystal fort

Say, hey jiggy jiggy jiggy ya ya
Equestria's off to war

We fought the mean Queen Chriss' Liss'
and all her Changeling horde

Say, hey jiggy jiggy jiggy ya ya
Equestria's off to war

Say, hey jiggy jiggy jiggy ya ya
and now we're off to war

The crew chanted that and many other shanties as the newly renamed ERS Hunter left Pony Royale harbor. Accompanying them were two other first rate man o' wars. The ERS Royal Moonbeam, and the ERS Radiance.
When questioned by Flareluck if that many ships would be enough, the princess only smiled and said, "That's all I need to end this war." She stood on the deck beside Gallant staring at the horizon. He had no idea what she was thinking, however he couldn't help but admire her determination. After all, it wasn't every day that a country's leader put themselves literally in the line of fire.
"So what's the plan your highness?" Gallant asked, breaking the silence.
"I'm having Ardid and Gamberro executed." She stated bluntly.
"You're what?" He spoke before thinking.
"We are at war Gallant," Celestia cut him off before he could continue, "and we have two course to take to get the Ciervans to surrender. We either destroy them in open combat, or we bombard their port villages. I know neither you or I want to do that."
He understood upon hearing her explanation, "Aye, you're right. I apologize for loosing my cool." It wasn't that Gallant was opposed to the idea of executing Ardid, it took all of his willpower to not do it himself. He just didn't expect Princess Celestia to order something like that, but he supposed war changes everyone's thought process, even gods. What also caught Gallant's attention was how different the ship looked, not only the redesign, but the crew. They moved with a determination he'd never seen before, clearly they were itching for some revenge. The Hunter also looked like an entirely different ship from the Resplendent. They'd repainted her from the standard white and black striped design, and elected for a red and black striped design. She'd also been given a new figurehead. Where as the old one barely stood out, and went mostly unnoticed, the new one was a large golden alicorn with its wings spread. Beneath the figurehead, donning the bow of the ship, was a massive battering ram. Keel's work was extraordinary, with the ram looking like it had always been there, the tip of the ram ended in a point, with sharpened steel covering the end. Two large, newly developed prototype cannons that the princess called 'howitzers,' were mounted to the bow. Keel had also clearly done some extra work on the hull, because the ship barely felt any heavier, in fact, Gallant could've sworn he was feeling things, but the ship felt as though it was moving faster than normal. Gallant though he was in fact feeling things until he looked back and noticed the Hunter was pulling some distance out between itself and the Moonbeam, and Radiance. Gallant had to order the crew to ease off sail in order for them to catch up.

Surely enough, in a few days, the princess received word that Ardid and Gamberro had both been executed, and that a majority of the Ciervan navy was spotted off the coast of Cuernba, which was a week's venture south of Pony Royale. Any day they'd spot them on the horizon, and when they did, the war would be decided then and there.
Carronade pulled Gallant aside to speak with him, "What do you think the princess' idea is bringing three warships to fight multiple fleets of Ciervan warships."
"I don't know, but I trust her judgement." Gallant told his friend, "Celestia's never lead her people astray, and I don't think she's going to start today."
"Are you sure she's not just doing something crazy? You said yourself that she looked devastated by Mainsail's death, maybe she..." Carronade couldn't finish before Gallant interrupted him.
"The last thing Mainsail would want would be for her to do something stupid. If she claims to have known him well, then she would know that. As such, I trust that she isn't doing something stupid, is that clear Quartermaster?" He looked Carronade in the eyes.
Carronade picked up on the fact that addressing him by his rank meant irritation, "Aye, sir. It is." As they both looked at each other for a moment, the alarm bells began to ring. Both of them hurried onto the main deck. The horizon off the bow of the Hunter was dotted with ships, Ciervan ships. Gallant hurried back to the helm, and up to Celestia.
"What's your plan of action, your highness?" He asked.
"Tell the other two ships to fall back." She motioned to the flagger, who gave the fall back order to the Radiance and Moonbeam.
"Your highness, you aren't seriously suggesting that we go in alone are you?" Gallant questioned.
"We aren't going in alone Captain," Celestia smiled at him, "you have me." He magic flared, and a massive storm cloud formed over and behind the Hunter. Lightning began to strike all around them, but never once hitting them, the sea underneath them was calm as well. Her manipulation of the weather was incredible, and he could only wonder what the oncoming Ciervans must be thinking.