• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 551 Views, 24 Comments

A Ship-of-the-Line - KonceptKarma



Gallant Topsail has always dreamed of becoming the captain of his own ship. However, his dreams seem to be far from reality as he is merely a cabin boy, but something unecxpected may change that all.

  • ...
0
 24
 551

Chapter 4. Under Celestia's Light

Mainsail trotted to the starboard side of the ship. Three ships were on an intercept course with the Resplendent. He turned towards the lookout.
"What kind of ships are they, and whose flag do they fly?" He called out.
After a moment, the lookout responded, "Three brigantines sir, they're flying no flags."
"Stand fast men, arm yourselves and make ready the guns!" The captain yelled to the crew. The alarm bell sounded, and the crew instinctively sprung into action. The unicorn crew members prepped the guns with lightning fast pace. Sponging, loading, ramming, and charging in a manner of seconds. Gallant had never seen a crew move so fast before, but he didn't have time to watch, he was apart of the crew as well, and had to help.
"Gallant!" Mainsail called out to him.
"Sir?" Gallant awaited his orders expectantly.
"Go to the armory, bring me a real blade, and arm yourself while you're down there," The embattled old captain looked towards the three brigs on course with narrowed eyes, "we're outnumbered here, and we can expect to be boarded."
"Aye sir." With that, Gallant ran off towards the armory. His heart raced, and his nervousness peaked. He'd never been in a battle before, and he didn't know if he could handle it. As he reached the main deck, he noticed the three brigantines were splitting off from their formation. The two on either side turned away from the Resplendent in a flanking maneuver, while the middle ship held its course straight towards them.
"Hard to port," Mainsail yelled, "get the mid ship in range of our broadside!" The helmsman cranked the wheel hard, and the hulking Resplendent turned so the starboard guns lined up with the oncoming brig.
"Fire!" As the captain yelled, a loud thundering crack echoed across the sea as the Resplendent's gun crew unleashed an iron storm of round shot upon the oncoming ship. Their accuracy was frightening, as the bow of the mid ship splintered and cracked from the abuse. It began to sink rather quickly. There was a second crack of cannon fire, this time however it was from one of the brigantines. The ship that was initially on their starboard side was now facing the stern of the Resplendent. Windows shattered and wood splintered as the enemy's broadside hit, but overall the ship was relatively undamaged from the shots.
"Turn to starboard, get the brig in our range!" Mainsail pointed a hoof at the bring that was in front of them. The Resplendent wheeled to the right, getting its port side guns in range of the brig. As they did so, the opposing brig fired it port side guns towards them. This one had more of an effect, striking all across the main deck, cries echoed out across the deck as both crew and ship were struck by round shot. However, the Resplendent was now in range to fire.
"Fire!" Mainsail yelled. The port side of the brigantine was punched open by round shot. Suddenly, the ship exploded, sending debris flying in all directions. A lucky shot appeared to have struck the powder storage.
"Right," The captain called out to the helmsman, "get us in range of that third ship!"
"Captain, to starboard!" The lookout yelled.
Mainsail's eyes widened as he turned towards the starboard side on the Resplendent, "Brace for impact!" The third brigantine had entered a collision course with the Resplendent. As the ships collided, their hulls cracked and creaked in agony. Before the crew could get their wits about them, the crew of the brig began to leap from the bow of their ship, and onto the main deck of the Resplendent.
"Swords!" Mainsail barked out the order as Gallant ran up to him. Mainsail grabbed the hilt of his cutlass, a look of blood lust in his eyes.
"Sir?" Gallant asked worriedly.
"Just stick with me boy!" Mainsail ran towards the oncoming foes.

Gallant was astounded at how many crew were aboard this small brigantine. There was no way that this attack was a coincidence, it had to have been planned. He didn't have much time to think as an enemy charged up to him, yelling in anger with every step. Gallant sidestepped his aggressor's enraged swing, and stuck him in the side with his blade. It was the first time he'd ever killed someone, and he barely had time to think about it was more came to attack him. He'd never experienced this type of adrenaline rush before. His body was moving instinctively, dodging and parrying attacks, then striking his enemies without a second thought of what he was doing. Gallant knew he couldn't think about what he was doing, if he did, he may hesitate, and his enemies would be the ones killing him. He heard a battle cry echo out from behind him, as he turned, he say a bulky stallion with his cutlass raised to strike him. Gallant froze, his body didn't know what to do. For a moment he knew he was about to die. Suddenly, the crack of gunfire shot past him and struck the stallion in the chest. Gallant turned towards the source of the gunfire. Carronade stood about ten feet away from him, a smoking pistol being levitated by his magic.
"Keep your eyes out, ey Gallant?" The unicorn called out as he turned towards other attackers.

Gallant was still frozen, he couldn't believe he was about to die there. His mind told his legs to move, but they wouldn't respond. Four ponies ran toward him from all sides, swords raised to attack. Gallant's mind yelled at his legs to move, but they still stood there, frozen in shock. As the four attackers drew close, he snapped back into reality. Just as he was about to dive out of the way, something pushed him to the ground. Gallant looked up to see a dark grey mass standing there, with four blades piercing his body, the familiar coat with a captain's insignia was stained red.
"Captain!" Gallant cried out.
Mainsail looked down at Gallant, "What did I tell you would happen if you took your eyes off her?" The captain had a determined smile across his face.
"We got him," one of the attackers yelled out, "we got the captain!"
"Did ya now?" The captain's smile widened, his eyes took on a demonic look, "I think not." The attacker turned in time to see Mainsail grab Gallant's cutlass, and spin in a grey blur, cutting down all four attackers in one swing.
"Captain?" Gallant looked at Mainsail's injuries, the blades were still in his body.
Mainsail turned towards the rest of the opposing crew, "Anyone else who wants to try an' get me, have at it!" The captain then grabbed the cutlass and ran towards the remaining enemies at full gallop. The entire group charged Mainsail with swords raised. The old captain, sword still held firmly in his mouth, grabbed the hilt of one of the blades that had pierced him, and pulled it out. As they met, a flurry of cries of agony and the sounds of blades hitting their marks echoed across the deck. In moments it was over. Mainsail stood there, enemies strewn at his hooves, breathing heavily. The battle was over.

Mainsail dropped the swords and toppled to the deck.
"Captain!" Gallant cried out as he ran to his side.
Mainsail looked around at the remnants of the battle, "How many casualties did we sustain?"
Carronade slowly trotted up to them, "About twenty percent of the crew are dead sir, most of us are still injured in some way."
"Damn it all," The captain huffed, "and the officers?"
"All dead," Carronade shook his head, "it seems they were targeting all officers of any rank aboard the ship sir."
"Well, there's one thing they didn't take into account." Mainsail looked at Gallant and smiled.
"What, no sir, I can't." Gallant shook his head furiously.
"You have to," Mainsail grabbed Gallant by the scruff of his neck and pulled him close, "these men need a leader. Right now, you're the only one of any position to get them back to port safely. I don't have long now, so do as I say."
"Don't say so captain. We... we can get you help at the nearest port." Gallant knew he sounded foolish, but he didn't want to believe it.
Mainsail tried to laugh, but it just came out as a flurry of coughs, "Now boy, you don't seriously believe that do you?"
Gallant's head fell, tears beginning to well up in his eyes, "No sir, no sir I don't."
"I figured as much," Mainsail's breathing became steady, it would happen anytime now, so he knew what had to be done, "look at me boy."
"Yes sir?" Gallant looked his captain in the eyes.
"In the name of the empire, and under Celestia's light. I hereby promote you to the rank of captain of the equestrian royal ship Resplendent, until you are relieved by a commanding officer, or the princess herself." Mainsail struggled to pull his coat off, and held it out to Gallant. Hoof shaking, Gallant took the captain's coat, and flung in onto his back. Mainsail's hoof slowly fell, and the crew stood in silence as the captain drew his final breath.

For nearly a minute no one moved. They frankly couldn't believe it, their captain had died in front of their eyes, and now some whelp had been asked to take his place.
Suddenly, a crewman's voice called out from behind them, "Oy, I got a live one over here!"
Gallant wheeled around to see a fairly young stallion from the enemy crew, laying against the opposite railing of the deck, clutching a gunshot wound to his shoulder. He trotted over to the stallion, a look of anger flooded his eyes.
"What's your name sailor?" Gallant spoke flatly.
"Bite me, that's my name." The sailor coughed.
"You know, I don't even need to know your name. I do however need to know who hired you. So I suggest you get talkative quickly." A twinge of anger entered into Gallant's voice.
"What makes you think I was working for someone you military dog?" This time the sailor spit at Gallant's hoof.
"Because you're a privateer. You wouldn't attack a military vessel unless someone paid you to, now who was it?" Gallant was losing patience with him.
"I won't tell you a thing." The sailor huffed. Without hesitation Gallant hauled off and kicked the sailor as hard as he could where he was clutching his wound. The sailor cried out in agony.
"I highly doubt that you won't talk. I can think of much worse things to do to you than that, unless of course you tell me who hired you!" Gallant was past the breaking point.
"Alright," The sailor held out his hooves in despair, "it was the Ciervans. They hired a bunch of privateers to attack Equestria's strongest vessels."
"Why?" Gallant got up in the sailor's face.
"I don't know. Some deer named Ardid told my captain the Ciervan Empire would pay lavishly for us to sink the Resplendent and kill her captain" The sailor cowered at Gallant's new found intimidation.
Carronade walked up to the him, "Perhaps they want war? The Ciervans have always tailed Equestria in naval strength. This may be their way of evening the playing field."
"Perhaps, but we can't just trust what he says without more solid proof." Gallant turned towards the sailor, then towards Carronade.
"Gallant?" Carronade asked worriedly.
"Your pistol Carronade." He extended his hoof.
A panicked look hit the sailor's face, "What? But I told you everything I know."
As Carronade handed him the pistol, Gallant turned to the sailor, "Aye you did, but I said nothing about letting you live." He pointed the pistol at the sailor and fired.