• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 2,346 Views, 18 Comments

A Lucky And Beloved Mare - UniqueSKD



After a long day of work, Derpy Hooves makes her way home as a rainstorm begins. A short story about everyone's favorite muffin-loving mare.

  • ...
2
 18
 2,346

Derpy Hooves - She's A Lucky Mare

Author's Note:

I suck at story writing, but I do it anyway because I know that I can read and write. What's point of learning to read and write if you don't put it to good use?

I like Derpy Hooves a lot. I can relate to her quite a bit. She and I are both clumsy, and we make a lot of mistakes when we try to do things, but we both mean well, and our hearts and intentions are always in the right place. We're both not perfect creatures in our respective worlds, but it doesn't matter because we both have people (and/or ponies) who love us for who and what we are.

Plus, we both like muffins. I prefer chocolate chip ones, myself.

If I dare say so, actually, I'd go as far as to say she and I are both 'unique' entities.

So yeah, enough of my stupidity. Go on and read the story. It's not brilliant, but I gave it my best. I have no regrets, therefore.

- UniqueSKD

Derpy felt her wings growing tired and weary, the aching feeling shot all over her little body with each flap of her soaking wet feathery wings in the rain. She kept one hoof on her mail mare's hat firmly, to keep it from being blown away by the wind, her other hoof pressed her little saddle bag against her side, keeping the flaps from opening up and letting anything inside falling out. This wasn't the weather to be chasing after letters, and Derpy didn't want to go chasing after any more envelopes again.

Well, although flying home in the rain and cold wind wasn't pleasant, at least the weather pegasi had decided to brew up the storm after her work shift had ended. The thought of carrying a bag full of important letters in the freezing wetness didn't exactly sound appealing to the little gray pegasus. It was hard enough for her to do her job without some pony worrying about having his mailbox knocked over for the fourth time that week, or some mare complaining about her mail not being delivered on time. The thought of both of them put together did not sound at all too nice for Derpy.

A loud rumbling sound and a faintly dim light in the clouds ahead of her got Derpy's attention. She immediately recognized what it was - thunder. Great. That was another thing for Derpy to dd to her list of troubles. Being a pegasus pony, very few ponies wouldn't think that Derpy, the finest mail mare of Ponyville - in fact, the only mail mare in Ponyville, to be truthful - was not deterred by the concept of lightning and thunderstorms. It wasn't that Derpy was afraid of them, she just didn't like them a lot. The loud booming noises the sky would make when the clouds flashed and spat out lightning bolts just made Derpy jumpy, that was all.

But she still didn't like them, and she wasn't the only one. Her daughter, Dinky, wasn't very fond of lightning either. A memory of one particular stormy night entered Derpy's mind as she continued her flight home. Derpy had gotten back home after working a particularly long shift at the office, and was too exhausted to play with her daughter, which had saddened her for a while since Derpy loved to play with her precious 'little muffin', as she affectionately had nicknamed her. Derpy frowned as she remembered the sad little face her daughter had as her mother dragged her aching wings up the stairs, throwing herself under the sheets of her comfortable bed.

Dinky was only a young child, but it never ceased to amaze Derpy, as well as make her swell with pride, at just how grown-up her daughter could be. Dinky was able to look after herself when her mother was out working, and could prepare her own meals, tidy up the house, even take a phone call and take a message. Derpy had always told her she'd no need to do any work in the house when she was gone, but Dinky insisted she did it because she 'liked helping Mommy'.

So young, and so responsible, and so considerate. Derpy's heart warmed and her lips curved into a bright little smile. Dinky Doo was such a sweet and wonderful child. Derpy couldn't have asked for a better daughter. She only wished that Dinky would try to make more of an effort to enjoy herself instead of running around doing all the things her Mommy could do herself. How Dinky could come home from school and even think about washing dishes or sweep up around the house, Derpy couldn't begin to fathom.

The rain began pouring down harder than before. The rumbling of the thunder echoed through the clouds, and all around the mail mare, causing her to flinch and nearly lose control of her flight pattern. Now it might be a good idea to pick up the pace and hurry on along, the mare thought to herself, as she carried on her way, eager to return home to a nice warm fire, and a soft fluffy blanket wrapped around her, with her little filly snuggled close to her.

Just thinking about such a picturesque scene took Derpy's mind off of the cackling of lightning as it roared and shook the heavens, illuminating the darkening skies with bright flashes.

Derpy pressed onward, more eager than before to return home, back to her 'little muffin'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Derpy landed at the front door to her home, her coat, mane, tail, and generally everything else soaked and dripping. Standing beneath the small archway to keep herself out of the rain, still pouring and with increased ferocity, Derpy flipped open her saddle bag and stuck her hoof inside, fumbling around and through the contents of the bag, searching for her key to the door. A few moments passed by, and Derpy removed her hoof from her saddle bag, empty-hoofed. She frowned and sighed in annoyance. Once again she had misplaced her key.

"Is this what you're looking for, Miss Hooves?", a kind and gentle voice said.

Derpy had not heard the door open due to the heavy rainfall. Upon hearing that familiar voice, she looked up to see an Earth pony stallion smiling at her, with the same blue eyes and black mane she knew all too well, as well as that hourglass cutie mark that adorned his flank. He had his hoof held out to the pegasus mare, a small shiny door key presented to her.

A small shiny door key Derpy had forgotten to take with her that morning.

Derpy smiled sheepishly and took the key from her friend's hoof. His smile beamed, and he stepped aside to allow Derpy to enter her home, closing the door behind her. Out of the cold and into a warm living room, Derpy already began to feel much better now that she was back in the comfort of her home. She felt a towel drape over her back, her head turned to see the stallion taking her saddle bags and putting them onto a hanger by the door.

"You should go and sit down by the fire, Miss Hooves," the stallion suggested to her, as he trotted into another room. "You'll dry off much quicker."

Derpy nodded, and did as the stallion had said. Feeling the warmth of the fire envelop her body, Derpy looked around the room, and couldn't help but wonder where Dinky was. Her concern was laid to rest as her precious little filly came bounding down the stairs, wearing a small cardboard box on her head with two holes cut out at the front for eyes, and a single hole at the top for her little horn to poke out of. Another piece of cardboard, this one long and cylindrical, stuck outwards from just above the eye holes. Derpy smirked at the funny sight as her little muffin ran up to her and nuzzled her affectionately, a little difficult because of the box-helmet-thing Dinky was wearing.

"Hi, Mommy!", Dinky greeted, looking up at her mother with wide, bright yellow eyes through the cardboard holes. "Me and Mr. Whooves have been doing lots of fun stuff today! We were playing Daleks, and he helped me make this cool Dalek costume!". She pointed a hoof at her funny helmet, and Derpy could sense the wide beaming smile on her filly's face. "Do you like it, Mommy?"

Derpy giggled as she pulled her daughter closer to her, hugging her in the warmth of the fire. Dr. Whooves chose that moment to enter the room, carrying a plate on his back that held a daffodil sandwich, no doubt which had been prepared for the little filly he had been charged with caring for until Derpy returned home. He 'awe'd' at the mother-daughter scene, and set the plate down next to Dinky, who immediately removed her helmet so she could enjoy her snack.

And Derpy watched as her daughter ate, and as her friend sat down beside her on his haunches. And as she continued to bask in the warmth of the fire, Derpy thought to herself how lucky she was to have such special ponies in her life, whom she loved dearly, and who loved her just as much.

Outside, the rain came down harder than ever, the winds increased in strength, and the thunder spat more flashes of lightning. But the coldness of the stormy weather could do nothing to pierce the warmth of the love that radiated within the house of Derpy that night

THE END

Comments ( 18 )

Very nice. It was a very heartwarming story.

3838159 Hey! Octy! What's up? How's life with Vinyl? :pinkiehappy:

3838157 How about a friendly handshake, instead?

Awww.:heart:
This was great.
Derpy and I share some similarities too. I'm clumsy, and I also am cross-eyed.
But aside from that...
I wonder why in all your recent writings, you keep saying your stuff sucks.
It does not.:eeyup:

3838900
I just feel like if I make myself think my stuff is crap, then A) I prevent myself from getting too big-headed and turning into a jerk, and B) it makes me try a little harder the next time I write a chapter or a story.

3839961
Screw it, hand over your feels.

Also, let me give you a Follower. You seem pretty cool.

Just kidding. You are pretty cool. Here's a Follower. Because I can.

It doesn't matter that Derpy is Derpy. As long as she has the Doctor and Dinky, she couldn't be happier!

4645233 Happiness is what is real and there for you. Power and fame and wealth comes and goes, but family and love will be there for you for all eternity.

What does it matter what the world thinks of you, so long as you have something that many others cannot understand because of their misguided ways?

4645258 Right. Derpy has all the things that matter so she's happy!

4646395 DOUBLE THUMBS UP!

such a wonderful story. everyone loves derpy, and she deserves every happiness that life has to offer.

Apparently there is one Dalek here who doesn't like this story.

*fixes bow tie and pulled out sonic screwdriver* TO THE TARDIS!

*head pops out of TARDIS* Oh, and BTW, GREAT STORY! *thumbs up*

What a nice, heart-warming story! Your writing is very good, by the way. Keep up the good work! One of the best things in life is the love and companionship of our friends. Thanks for the reminder about what is truly important.

I love Derpy, too.

6119002 After losing four subscribers over on my YouTube channel, your comment comes as a big pick-me-up to be honest, mate.

Some people out there don't understand that animations, even those not as good as what other people can do, take time to make. I'm also trying to make stuff for other people, which doesn't help but I'm doing it anyway because I find it hard to say 'no' a lot of the time.

Still, like I said, your comment couldn't have come at a better time. So thank you for the smile you've returned to me. Now I feel a little more confident I can get this current animation task done sooner and get back to making new animations for my channel. You can have a follow for that.

6119088
You're very welcome! Always happy to try and help bring somepony up. You have a new follower, too!

Nice story! 1.5k words and 1.5k views! :3

Login or register to comment