• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 4,560 Views, 92 Comments

War of the Worlds - King Shugoki



Alien machinery has been hidden away for many of years. Can everyone survive the War of the Worlds

  • ...
0
 92
 4,560

Chapter V: An Unwanted Massacre

Everything was quiet. The sun was shining and the birds were chirping. The city of Cloudsdale was busy as usual. Pegasi were going about their day's and enjoying the warmth that the sun had brought upon them. The fillies were flying about. Having a blast as each little one made bets as to which one of them was the fastest in Cloudsdale. Each one laughing with joy as they flew around racing each other.

They all stopped as one of the ponies pointed out a strange noise they heard out in the distance. It sounded like metallic footsteps walking along the ground beneath their cloud city. Curiosity got the better of all of them as they walked over to the edge of the cloud and looked down to the ground. There they saw what was making that noise as a tall robotic machine came walking along towards the right side of the city.

Many of the pegasi looked on in awe and terror as they thought that this must be some kind of new machinery that the Princesses had allowed the scientists to create. What they weren't expecting was it to stop and turn towards the direction of the city and look up at them. Many of the frightened pegasi quickly grabbed their children and flew off to hide in their cloud houses.

The machine bellowed out it's terrifying roar as a high pitched squeal was sounded off as it brought out it's arms and fired upon the cloud city. Clouds were torn apart instantly as the energy ray's made contact, hitting random and various ponies as they tried to flee or hide away from the beams of death. The ash from many of the fallen were floating in the sky and making shadows spread across the clouds. The foundation that kept the city floating in the air was falling apart as pegasi were flying around trying to get away.

A garrison of blue suited ponies came flying out with clouds of electricity flying behind them. The fire orange maned pegasi up in front yelled, “We’ve got to stop that thing from firing on Cloudsdale! Everypony split up into squads and distract it! The other half, I want you to get the citizens out of here!”

The ponies nodded and split up. With the weapons they packed, a number of the soldiers flew down upon the Tripod, delivering their explosive payload upon the machine, while the others flew towards the clouds and guided the terrified citizens to safety. The bombs detonated upon impacting the shield causing a rippling effect. The machine looked up and fired upon the ponies flying around it. The metallic sound of small round objects shooting up into the air confused a number of the pegasi, until they blew open and sent shards of metal spikes and shrapnel into the air. Lacerating and killing many of the soldiers, dropping them to the ground in a bloody mess.

The pegasi leading the garrison watched in horror as many of her soldiers went down. Realizing that she wasn’t going to win this fight she yelled, “Everypony! Fall back!” The pegasi quickly retreated, flying with the group of soldiers and citizens.

The machine roared again as it's eye began to glow brightly. The light then shot out and hit the center of the mass of clouds directly. A big explosion of fire and energy appeared and the cloud city finally fell.

It slowly descended to the ground as the bright orange flames latched on to anything that wasn't made of clouds. The gray smoke rose up in the sky, marking the location and place where the famous city once was visible for many miles. The pegasi watched as their home was utterly destroyed. No...way… She was in utter disbelief that this was even happening.

A soldier ran up behind her and said, “Spitfire ma'am...what should we do now?”

Spitfire looked to the soldier and just simply stared. “We...we fall back to Canterlot.” The soldier nodded and gave orders to the rest. Soon the citizens were flying the opposite direction of where their home once stood. Spitfire watched as the machine stood there, gazing upon what it had done until flying with the rest of the group.

The machine roared in victory and walked off towards it next destination. Wherever that may be.

~~~

Sunstream looked out from the tower, watching the construction work of some of the houses as the soldiers repaired the damage that the Tripod had caused. Cadence was feeling better and was happy that the ponies were helping to rebuild some of the lost buildings. But the machine had gotten away and this worried her greatly.

"Sunstream. Where do you think the machine went this time?" She asked worryingly.

"I don't know your highness. But I know for sure that wherever it's heading. Ponies lives are in danger." Sunstream walked back into the main room and was followed by Cadence who went to sit down on her throne. "What went wrong with the plan? We had everything set up...and we even used the Elements of Harmony. What mistake did we make?" Sunstream inquired.

"It's what happened when we used the Elements." Cadence noted.

"But how did the Elements fail us? Why did the Elements fail?" Sunstream was deeply troubled by the ineffectiveness of the Elements when they were revered and known for their strong magic.

"Clearly this...machine or whatever it is, has technology way beyond our comprehension. Shields like that are just...unbelievable in how well they can take damage and still stay functional"

Hoofsteps were heard coming in from the hallway as a courier quickly entered in and addressed them both. "Sunstream and Princess Cadence, your Highness." He announced, bowing before her.

"What's the news?" Cadence asked.

"Well...you're not going to like this." He stopped and took a breath of air before speaking. "It seems that the machine has done something quite terrible. The city of Cloudsdale has fallen."

"WHAT?!" Both Sunstream and Cadence yelled in unison.

"The city had no warning. Their shields were down and the machine came along and...well, sunk the city. Now it's on the ground and much of the population has been killed off."

"The shield wasn't up? Why was the shield not up when Celestia had clearly demanded that all cities were to have shields up and running at all times?!" Sunstream angrily yelled.

"That's just it sir, a pegasi courier saw the machine go down after the tower brought up it's own shield. He thought the mechanical menace was done for and quickly sent word to three of the other cities. Cloudsdale was one of them. As you now know, that city went down first."

"Has Celestia been informed about this?" Cadence inquired, hoping her aunt would be informed of this great disaster.

"There is a messenger being sent over to Canterlot as we speak."

"Thank you. You are dismissed."

The courier bowed again before leaving the room. Sunstream turned towards Cadence with an expression of pain. "How hard do you think she'll take it?"

"It won't be well. That's for sure."

~~~

"Thank you...that will be all for today." Celestia uttered towards the messenger. He bowed and quickly took off, leaving Celestia to her room alone.

She went out to her balcony to see that the trail of smoke was there still. Rising up into the sky. Indicating where the once famous city floated.

All of that was gone now. She silently wept for this was a tragedy worse than before. Not only was the city destroyed, but this time instead of any resistance, there was but a massacre that had taken place in Cloudsdale and many ponies had been killed.

This machine just kept going and destroyed four of the biggest cities she knew and it seemed like it wouldn't stop there. Not until every last city was completely annihilated.

Why does this have to happen to the poor colts and mares of Equestria? What did we ever do to deserve such a terrible monster that's been destroying everything?

She was angrier than ever before. She wanted this machine to be destroyed more than ever. To avenge all of those who had fallen. It was bad enough that this alien was killing ponies, but it seemed that even fillies were fair game as well.

This is what truly angered her. It killed innocent and young fillies for no reason whatsoever. They couldn't even fight back and here it was killing them off without mercy or remorse.

How dare this alien race come down to our world...to our country and slaughter us!

"Hey uhm, Princess Celestia. I noticed that the messenger coming out of the door had a Cloudsdale symbol. What's going on?"

It was Rainbow Dash. She walked in and noticed that the Princess was different. For one, she saw that Celestia's facial expression wasn't one of happiness, but of sadness. Also, her coat looked paler than before. "Umm, Princess? What's wrong?"

Rainbow Dash was the last pony she'd want to tell about Cloudsdale, but there was no escaping it now. "Rainbow Dash...I have news about-"

"About what Princess?" Rainbow asked worryingly. What is a courier from Cloudsdale doing here?

Celestia had a hard time trying to say the words but all that came out was air and mumbled words. She finally gained the strength and said, "I...I'm sorry to say...but Cloudsdale...has been destroyed."

Rainbow Dash couldn't believe what she was hearing. "No...no."

"I'm sorry Rainbow Dash...but I-"

"NO! That's not possible.” She quickly flew over to the window and pointed at where it used to be. “Cloudsdale is still in the...air?" Only to realize that there wasn’t anything floating in the air anymore. All she saw was smoke where the great flying city used to be. "No...no no no NOO!"

Without warning Rainbow Dash took off out the window and flew on over towards the tower of smoke. Celestia wanted to stop her, but the grief from losing the city was all but too much.

Rainbow was halfway towards where the city once stood, until she saw the massive amount of pegasi flying over towards her direction. She quickly flew towards them and asked many of the ponies about what happened and what was going on. She then spotted Spitfire and raced towards her. “Spitfire! What happened?”

“Rainbow...Cloudsdale...its gone.”

“What…?”

“I’m sorry Rainbow Dash, but its gone. Its just a pile of rubble.”

The blue pegasi couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She quickly shot towards the smoke, having Spitfire yell at her to come back before having to take flight after her.

When she got there, Rainbow saw the city on the ground. The clouds turning into fog and the buildings of the once great city, were in ruins. She didn't know where to start as she flew overhead, trying to find anypony that survived the horrible destruction. There was one pony in particular she was hoping was alright.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw movement and thought that it was somepony struggling to get up. She raced down to the ground and landed, but to her dismay, it wasn't movement from the pony, but debris falling down. She cleared away the debris covering the pony and to her horror, the pony under the rubble was exactly who she thought was and hopefully still alive.

But he wasn't. His body was motionless and his eyes were closed. She laid down beside him and cried softly. "Why...why did you have to leave me d-dad."

Spitfire landed beside her and was going to give her a piece of her mind, but saw that she was mourning and crying. “Rainbow…?” When she was standing right next to her, she saw that a pony was under a pile of rubble with rainbow colored hair like her. She gasped and realized who it was. Her eyes watered, until she kneeled down beside her friend.

It was a while before the others found her sound asleep with Spitfire carrying her back. They helped carry her back to Canterlot and put her in one of the beds. Everypony was heartbroken over the loss of Dash's dad. By the time they got back, night had fallen and the moon's light was illuminating the ground below it.

Princess Luna sent a team over to the grounded city to put out the fires and begin rebuilding what they could. Princess Celestia now had taken to accord, that this machine would be stopped no matter what happened. She went back into her room and crawled into her bed. Sleeping would help her take some time to think about what to do tomorrow.

~~~

The next morning was the same as always. Sunny, a few clouds in the sky, nothing out of the ordinary. Luna had awaken to find that everything was normal, except for the state that Celestia was in. "What do you mean? Are you sure...oh this is not good at all."

Luna walked in to her sister's room and noticed that Celestia was frantically pacing around, while a messenger from one of the cities was standing a few feet away from her. She seemed really upset about something but she didn't know what. "Sister...is everything alright?"

"No...everything has gone wrong. Three of the cities didn't put up their shields yet and another one has gone down."

"Oh no. Which one?"

She looked over to Luna "Vanhoover."

"How many more do we have left?"

"Excluding the Crystal Empire...about two left."

"And those two would be?"

"Las Pegasus...and Canterlot."

Luna was shocked. About every single city had been destroyed and only two were left. This machine had proven to be much more trouble than originally thought and it was too dangerous to be left alone.

"Where is it's heading? What's it's course?"

"Its heading right towards Las Pegasus as we speak. It's still far away but it won't be long before it gets there."

Luna was too aware that if it reached the final city before it was prepared, things would end badly and another massacre would occur. "Celestia...I believe it's time we intervened."

She looked over to her sister and nodded. It was the Princesses turn this time. They just hoped that their strength was enough to battle the Tripod.

~~~

It was evening in Ponyville, things were alright. Nothing was out of the ordinary and ponies went about their daily lives. However, there were a group of fillies located somewhere near Sweet Apple Acres. Talking to a pony that had survived the Manehatten disaster.

"Are yah sure yer alright Babs?" One of the little fillies asked. She had a pale yellow coat with brilliant gamboge eyes. Her mane was a pale red and the bow she wore was a pale crimson.

"Yeah I'm fine Applebloom. I just never did expect something like that to happen." Babs replied.

"I just hope that machine doesn't come anywhere near Ponyville. That's the last thing we need right now." Another one of the fillies said with a higher pitched voice. She had light pale green eyes and a white coat. Her mane a grayish mulberry with a few streaks of pale pink ran down her hair.

"You know, I heard that it took down Cloudsdale just yesterday...why would it do such a thing like that?" Asked one of the other fillies. She had grayish purple eyes and a coat lighter in color compared to Babs Seed. Her mane a moderate Cerise.

“That doesn't sound good. Hey Scootaloo, what other places has this machine attacked?" Asked Babs.

"From the sound of it, the alien has attacked about every major city. Not to mention many of the nearby villages and towns it's probably come across."

"Why would it want to attack the cities anyway. I mean what did we ever do to it?"

"That's a good question Sweetie Bell. Why on earth would somethin’ like that want anythin’ to do wit us?"

"Maybe it's harvesting us?" The four fillies looked at the other one in with weird expressions on their faces. She looked back at them. "What? I heard it from my mom."

"Nyx. I'm pretty sure that nothing in the world is wanting to harvest us...wait that gives me a great idea." Beamed Scootaloo.

"What does?" Asked Babs.

"What if we were to find the machine that's responsible for all this? I mean, think of the cutie marks we would all get from that."

"Seriously." Applebloom deadpanned. Not amused by the idea that Scootaloo had.

"I know I didn't see the thing that attacked Manehatten, but come on Scootaloo. That is not a good idea."

"Well what if we were to help out the soldiers. You know like those scouts that have been roaming around and keeping an eye on it. Like super secret spies tracking down an infamous criminal."

"Well when you put it that, that sounds more safe." Sweetie Bell agreed.

"I don't know guys...it might get us in an awful lot of trouble."

"Oh don't worry Nyx. We'll all be fine. Plus you being an alicorn and all, that will surely help us out." Scootaloo implied.

"Don't you all remember what happened to my powers?"

"Oh, right." She murmured. Rubbing the back of her head.

"Well even if yah don't have all that magic power like yah used to. You'll still be able to help us watch the machine." Applebloom pointed out.

Nyx wasn't sure what to decide. She had heard of what this machine was capable from her mom, but she never did hear her describe what it looked like. She didn't know what to do, but she thought maybe if she went along to help them out and hopefully just spy on the machine then nothing bad would come of it. "O...okay I'll help."

Everyone except Babs jumped and cheered. "What about you Babs?" Applebloom asked.

Babs blew her hair out of her face and answered. "Of course I'll help my cousin and everypony else...it's just I'm a little bit worried about this."

"Don't worry. We'll just spy on the machine, no big deal. Besides how hard could it be to hide from it?" Scootaloo inquired.

With that they prepared by putting on camouflage that would hopefully match the area they went to. Got some supplies like binoculars and they didn't tell any of their family where they were going. "Why aren't we telling any of our folks or friends where we're heading?" Nyx asked.

"Because if they found out, they would immediately stop us. That would ruin our whole plan in the first place. Don't worry Nyx, nopony we'll know we're gone." Sweetie Bell implied.

Nyx wasn't so sure but she followed the others. Hoping that this would end well and not become a huge problem.

~~~

The day passed and it was busy inside the castle. Many ponies were running around trying to get paperwork and send help to various locations that had suffered damage from the machine. The Princesses were busy coordinating which message got sent first and what was more important at the point in time. Cities were being rebuilt slowly and in hope all the cities would finally have their shields up.

Twilight was worried by which the pace the Princesses were working. They hadn't got any sleep in a while and it began to show. She was also worried on how Spike and Nyx were doing. It had been a while since she had seen her or Spike and she was growing quite worried. Especially for Nyx. She didn't know where she was or what was going on and there was a weird feeling that she had. It wouldn't go away and for another reason it felt very bad.

The group gathered up in the conference room to discuss the results of the last attack. "How did that happen?" Twilight started off.

"What, you mean the fact that we got our flanks kicked or the fact that the Elements didn't do anything to the machine?" Rainbow Dash asked. Still shaken up by the fact that her home was destroyed.

"Yeah. I thought the elements were supposed to work? Why did that all happen?" Twilight inquired. It felt like that machine was just taunting them every moment it walked freely around Equestria.

"Ah don't know sugarcube. The Elements as we all know are able to stop any evil force that we come across. Why didn't they work this time?"

"Oh, oh me me me me!" Pinkie sputtered, bouncing up and down.

"Does this have anything to relate to the machine Pinkie?" Twilight asked.

She stopped in midair and fell back down to the ground.

"Okay so then-"

Pinkie Pie suddenly began to shiver and her body began to flip around the place. "Oh that wasn't good."

"What in the hay was that?"

"I don't know Rainbow...that was something I've never felt before."

"What did that mean Pinkie?" Rarity asked.

"Somepony close to us is going to get hurt."

Everypony went silent. "Who is it?" Fluttershy asked fearfully.

"It felt like it was somepony we all know but I don't know who it was."

Then a pony ran into the room. "Girls, come quick you have to see this."

"What is it Silverleaf." Twilight inquired.

"You all have to see this." She simply replied. From the sound of it she was very excited. But why?

They followed her before coming out onto a balcony. There, Silverleaf pointed to a pony walking up to the castle in the far distance. Where the being was walking, it was hard to tell as the sun blinded them in that direction. Only after the pony walked out to where it was visible was everyone's breath taken away.

"Is...is that." Twilight uttered, on the near verge of tears. True to what she saw. There he was standing there at the front of the castle. Twilight quickly took off down the stairs and out the castle. Her friends were surprised at first when she took off but soon followed. Twilight was already out the door and running ever faster to get to him. She closed in and jumped at him. Giving him such a strong hug that he was barely able to breath from. "Shining, oh I'm so glad that you're still alive." She sobbed as the realization that her brother was alive took her by storm.

It took him a few moments to regain his composition but he hugged her back. "I'm glad your alright too."

"What happened? We all thought you were dead." Tears fell freely down her face.

"Everything’s fine. I'm right here and I will never leave you guys just yet."

They hugged for a while longer before she noticed something on his body. "Shining...are you alright? What happened to you?"

"Oh that little mark, that's just from a burn I got from the fire. Don't worry, it's fine." Her friends joined in on the group hug, surrounding the two. After hugging for a while longer, she led him back into the castle where both Celestia and Luna were unexpectedly surprised by his sudden appearance. They both walked over to him and asked if he was alright, which he replied with a yes and soon was told about the recent events that had unfolded.

"So...it's gotten that bad has it?"

"I'm afraid so. We never expected something like this to drag on for so long. Now that you're back we should be able to reorganize our strategy and-"

A note appeared unexpectedly in front of Celestia. Interrupting her as she unrolled it to read who this was from. She noticed something odd about the urgency of this letter until the name of a certain filly came up. "Twilight...I think you may want to read this."

"Why is that princess?" She asked, walking up to her side.

"It's very important." Celestia simply replied.

Twilight was confused at first and took the scroll from Celestia with her magic. She looked it over to see that it was from Spike. But why would he be contacting her at a moment like this? It was when she got down to reading the fillies name did she realize why he had sent it.

Nyx as he said wasn't there in the morning. In fact she had been gone for the remainder of the day and never showed up. This worried Twilight greatly as she realized that her daughter was missing.

"Princess...?"

"Of course Twilight you may go and search for her. Bring your friends as well. We don't know where she could've gone to in that amount of time, nor do we know what happened to her."

Twilight nodded and ran off with her friends following close. They were confused by the way Twilight had reacted to the letter. "Um, Twilight. What did that letter say exactly?" Fluttershy asked.

"Something's happened to Nyx."

The girls gasped and realized the importance and urgency now. Nyx was missing and nopony knew what happened to her.

Twilight was in a state of panic and fear. What had happened to her daughter and who or what was responsible for this?

~~~

It was dawn as Nyx and the rest woke up. Tired from yesterday's long trek. The CMC had walked about two miles yesterday and were sure that if they continued down this direction that hopefully they could intercept the machine.

"You know, I wonder what this machine looks like? I mean it could look pretty cool right?"

"I don't know Scootaloo. Like I said, I never did see the alien that attacked Manehatten. But I did see the damage it caused. I'm a little worried about this guys."

"Oh relax Babs. We won't get too close to the machine. Besides that wouldn't be good since we are just scoutin’ to help out our friends and family." Applebloom recalled.

They continued on in silence for a while longer. Nyx kept getting this feeling that something wasn't right. That this plan of their's would go horribly wrong. But she knew that it was too late to go back now. The group stumbled upon a large open area where they could see for miles out. There in the field before them was a small abandoned village. Buildings were close to falling down, glass and broken pieces of wood littered the streets and alleyways.

"This looks like a good place to set up." Sweetie Bell stated. They quickly got their gear all set up and waited for the machine to arrive.

An hour passed and so far nothing. The sun had risen a little higher in the sky, yet there was no sign or sound that the machine was getting any closer or was anywhere near them. Applebloom and Babs were playing a card game, while Nyx, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were busy waiting to see if there was any movement. "Guys, I don't think the machines comin." Applebloom wearily announced.

"I thought for sure the machine was going to show up here?" Scootaloo murmured disappointingly.

Then Nyx thought she heard something as the girls talked beside her. "Girls quiet...do you hear that?"

They all sat in silence for a moment before hearing the sound of something with metallic footsteps coming their way. "Do y'all hear that?" Applebloom added to Nyx’s question. A small sense of fear ebbed into her.

Then out in the distance they saw the machine coming. All the little fillies were completely shocked by what they saw coming their way. It was very tall, its appearance was frightening, and what made it worse were the screams of ponies coming from the back.

"Scootaloo...do you think this was a good idea now?" Babs inquired fearfully.

"Now that you mention it...yeah this might’ve been a pretty bad idea."

The machine was still a mile out from them but closing the distance quickly. The fillies saw a red mist coming from behind it and were wondering, what was that red mist? They got into their positions and watched as the machine came ever closer. Little did they realize that a mile to their right was a small regime of soldiers getting ready to fire upon the machine.

The girls then heard the sounds of cannons exploding as they launched their shells out and Galp’ling guns firing away at the Tripod. It turned towards them as it saw its shield activate. The girls covered their ears as the machine bellowed out it's terrifying roar as it turned towards the ponies and brought out it's arms.

The high pitched noise made it's way over to the girls as they saw it fire away at the line of ponies. Screams were heard as the girls trembled in fear at the destructive power this machine brought. "S-scratch that...this was a horrible idea." Scootaloo stated. Her voice shaking in fear as they witnessed the slaughter that was taking place.

It soon finished and turned back to it's course. Again the red mist came out from behind it as it made it's way over to it's next destination. "Okay girls I think this was a very bad idea...so how about we git on back ta Ponyville before this thin’ see's us." Applebloom announced shakily. The girls quickly hurried away while Nyx stood behind for a little longer.

She went to turn towards where the others were when the ground beneath her suddenly gave way, making her fall eight feet to the ground. She screamed as she fell down. Her desperate attempts at trying to fly up were not getting her anywhere as she continued to plummet.

"Nyx no!" Sweetie Bell screamed. They all peered over the edge as they saw her fall down. She hit the ground with a sickening thud, the noise making the fillies flinch. Sweetie Bell turned away and the others watched in terror. Tears began to form in their eyes as they looked at the lifeless body of Nyx.

Suddenly they saw movement as Nyx twitched, before struggling back up. "Nyx you're okay!" Applebloom yelled out.

Nyx tried to stand up on her back right leg but it gave way under her. She screamed in pain as she realized the horror. One of her back legs was broken and very badly.

"Nyx hold on, we'll find a way down there!" Scootaloo yelled out.

Nyx looked back up and yelled back. "No! You guys get out of here right now!"

"But what about you?! We can't just leave you behind!" Sweetie screamed.

"Don't worry about me...just get out of here and find help!"

The others hesitated, but Nyx was right. They wouldn't be able to get down there in time before the machine got over to the abandoned village. Even if they were careful, they didn’t know how long it would have been before it spotted them.

They quickly left to find help, leaving Nyx to watch them run. She looked over to the buildings and realized that the machine was headed this way. She slowly rose up, trying to ignore the pain in her leg and limped as she could over to the village. There were many buildings that she could’ve hid in but there were many openings as well that would make it difficult trying to hide.

The footsteps of the machine got ever closer, the ground began shaking underneath her which made her stumble at times as she tried to find a spot to hide. The machine stopped and looked at the abandoned village before it. It roared, making Nyx cover her ears again. What she didn't hear was glass break above her as the shards came falling down. One of the shards that came down hit it's mark, piercing her camouflage clothes and into her side, digging deep into her skin.

She closed her mouth as she screamed again in pain. A tear coming down her eye as she held in her scream. The glass shard wasn't big, but the pain was absolutely unbearable. She slowly stood up and quietly walked around the pieces of glass before finally locating a small house that was really well sheltered and quickly walked as fast as she could over to it.

The machine didn't notice her walk in and instead unlocked a small snake like object that slithered down into the town and entered one of the buildings. The eye opened and a light appeared from it. The object began it's search for anypony that was left behind in this run-down town.

Nyx was hiding away in the basement of the building she entered, hoping that the machine would finally leave the town. But what she didn't know was that there was something on the ground searching for her, getting ever closer to the building she was hiding in.

~~~

Twilight and her friends finally arrived in Ponyville. The train came to a complete stop as the steam puffed out, hiding the ponies as they ran out and hurried towards the library. Twilight was extremely worried about Nyx. Who could've taken her in Twilight's absence and where were they? The last time she disappeared was during Hearths Warming Eve, but that was for a completely different reason and now she was gone again. They arrived upon the library and opened the door quickly. Spike was in there, waiting for them and pacing back and forth in Twilight's room. "Spike!!!"

He jumped at the sound of Twilight screaming and ran down the stairs, not before tripping over himself and falling down the rest of the way until Twilight caught him in a levitation spell. She turned him around and set him on his feet before asking, "There you are, quick tell me when was the last time you saw her?"

He looked down for a second before answering quickly. "I remember the last time I saw her was when she went to one of her Cutie Mark Crusaders meeting."

"Okay girls, let's head to the clubhouse."

They nodded and followed behind Twilight. It took them a while before they finally made it to the tree-house and upon making it there, they threw the door open, only to see that there was no trace of them at all.

"Oh this is not good at all." Fluttershy uttered.

"Where could they have gone at a time like this?" Applejack stated.

They quickly ran back to Ponyville and searched the town again. Still no Cutie Mark Crusaders or Nyx. Twilight was on the verge of tears as they kept searching everywhere and yet not finding her at all. "Where could she be...oh this is not good at all." Twilight murmured to herself.

Suddenly there were cries for help as Twilight turned to the direction of the screaming. She quickly ran out the door of the building she searched and saw Applejack trying to calm down the others.

"Calm down y'all. Take a breather and then tell us what happened." The girls took deep breaths and their anxiety went down. "Okay...tell me what happened to y'all...and where is Nyx?"

"We...well we thought it was a good idea at first to help you guys out by...oh how should I put this, scouting out where the machine was." Scootaloo hesitantly said.

"What!" The girls yelled in unison.

"Do you realize the trouble you could have been in?!" Rainbow asked, furious at the reckless behavior of the fillies.

"What were you girls thinking. This is not some game." Rarity implied.

"Where is Nyx?!" Twilight asked worriedly. "Why isn't she with you guys?"

That's when the Sweetie Belle hesitated. "We...had to leave her behind."

"What...why?"

"Because she told us to go and find help...and the fact that she fell down a cliff after it gave way under her...and she broke one of her legs from the fall." Babs added.

Twilight was now more than worried. She was now in complete freakout/terrified mode from hearing that her daughter broke a leg. "W-where is she?"

"That's the problem too." Applebloom sadly told. "When we left her...the machine was headed our direction."

Twilight's heart dropped as she realized the extreme danger Nyx was in. Without warning she took off in the direction where they came from. Ignoring the calls of her friends.

Twilight never had ran so fast in her life, for she knew that if she didn't reach Nyx in time, well she didn't want to think about that. Her powers were taken away and she was no stronger than a unicorn filly now.

It felt like forever as she half ran and sloppily flew towards the place where Nyx was, increasing her speed with magic jumps that added to her speed. She saw an end to the forest and realized that she finally made it to the area where they said Nyx was. But to her horror, she also saw the machine standing there in front of an abandoned town. She stopped for a moment to assess the situation.

Nyx was somewhere in the town, hiding possibly and the machine had some sort of robotic like appendage searching the town. She quickly flew down to the ground and ran as quietly as she could. "Nyx...please be alright?"

~~~

Nyx was terrified about what was going on. Was the machine going to find her? What would the machine do to her if it did? The machine was just one of her major worries but she had two others. One was the broken leg that wouldn't stop throbbing in immense pain and the other was the shard of glass that was firmly stuck within her right side..

"O-okay Nyx...let's just get this out first and hopefully everything will be better." She murmured to herself. The shard glass wasn't going to come out easily, but she knew that it had to come out sooner or later. She summoned her magic and the piece of glass glowed in her magic. She felt it tug and pull as she tried to get it out. Her magic wasn’t as strong as before and the glass shard felt like she was trying to pick up a tree. The pain was ever increasing as she struggled with it.

Then it came out suddenly flying into the roof and exploding on impact. Nyx again had to close her mouth as she screamed in pain, the wound now open began to bleed profusely, coming out much quicker than before. She looked over to the wound and whimpered in pain. Seeing her own blood coming out of her wasn't the best thing she ever saw, or what she ever wanted to see as it slid down her side and onto the ground.

Debris fell down the main entrance as she looked on in confusion. She could hear a faint high pitched humming noise and a bright light entered the room.

Then she saw what was making that noise. A large metallic snake like machine with a large eye at the front came in, looking side to side before heading down the hallway in front of it. Nyx was terrified beyond belief as she now realized that it was finally inside the house.

She quickly found a spot behind cover and stood there. Nyx wasn't sure where it was moving now, but over in the next room, she could hear it’s high pitched humming and heard it move furniture. Looking around slowly as it was trying to find anything living inside the house.

It scanned around old tables that had been turned over on to their sides. Much of the debris it scanned didn't have any pony hiding behind any of the abandoned buildings so far.

Nyx was hoping it wasn't in the room yet, but the humming noise became much louder as she only realized now that it was finally in the room with her. The machine had stopped and looked out around the room. Seeing nothing else but the ruined and decaying building before it. Nyx was trying to be silent as possible, for fear that if she moved at all, the machine would pick up any noise as it continued its search. She saw that the light was getting much closer than before as it was inching ever so nearer to her hiding spot. She realized that sooner or later she would have to move, but to where? Tears began to stream down her face as she wondered if she would ever get out of this nightmare.

The machine noticed clothes shuffling as it neared the closet where she hid. It slowly moved closer to her location. It spread the cloth that covered the closet area and found nothing. It looked both ways inside the area and moved back out. Little did it realized that Nyx had quietly moved under it as the machine was busy looking around for her. She quickly found a dark corner and saw that the light was very far away from her. She sighed, relieved that it was finally over. But then the humming noise became much louder than ever as it was coming back into the area it searched before.

She was hugging the wall behind her as she moved ever so cautiously against the wall. The machine then slowly retreated out the entrance it came through, the humming noise disappearing along with it. Nyx sighed again as she moved out into the open. Then something grabbed her from behind. She tried to scream but the thing that grabbed her covered her mouth. She struggled but felt that whatever was holding her was much stronger. Nyx turned towards the thing that held her against her will and almost burst into tears when she realized who it was. "Mom?"

It was Twilight who held her. Her eyes were bursting with tears already as she saw that her daughter was fine. "Oh Nyx I'm so glad to have found you. Are you alright? Does anything hurt? Wha-"

"I'm alright mom really." As she murmured, her leg collapsed under her again as she held in another scream. Twilight gasped in horror as her daughter fell to the ground. She quickly lifted her up and checked her leg.

It was broken alright and the break was very bad. She could see that her ankle was swelling up badly. "Nyx...we got to get you out of here and fast." Then she felt something wet against Nyx's side.

She looked over to see that a very dark and wet stain on her clothing. She's...bleeding...? The cut Twilight saw was very bad as blood kept coming out. "Sweetie...how long have you had that cut?"

"For about eight minutes...Why?"

"Okay we need to get you out of here, now and fast." The machine had disappeared as Twilight had brought her into one of the rooms but then they heard more debris fall from the stairs above them. Twilight immediately took her daughter and quickly ran into a room that looked like a kitchen. She ran over to a overturned table with Nyx holding her hoof and quietly moved behind it.

They heard the sound of footsteps as the unknown beings came ever so closer. Twilight took a peek at what was making that noise. When she saw what it was, her heart immediately stopped. It was the aliens that controlled the huge machine just outside of the house. To say that they looked quite frightening was an understatement in Twilight's mind. They had three legs just like their machine, but two tiny arms that came out from their chest. They had a head resembled in the same way as their machine and a grayish color for their skin, but they all had two eyes instead of one. But their eyes, they looked lifeless and cold. There were three in the house with them as they all walked in checking things out for themselves.

She quickly tucked Nyx behind her and kept a lookout on them from within the darkness. They moved around looking for anything the machine wasn't able to pick up on. They played with all the old items that were in the house that intrigued some of them. They found pictures of the ponies who lived in the residence, each one passed it to one another.

Twilight heard something behind her and noticed that Nyx was crying. She quickly covered Nyx with her body and tried her best to sooth her frightened daughter, brushing her hoof through her hair. " Shhh, It's okay sweetie...mommies here. Don't cry. They won't find us." Twilight was trying her best not to sound nervous and scared, but being inside with three aliens was scary enough. "It's alright. They won't get anywhere near you. I'll be here to protect you okay?" Twilight didn't realize at the moment, but she sounded calm. Nyx quieted down and only made small whimpers.

The aliens were getting closer to the room, making Twilight's worries of being found even worse. She closed her eyes as one of them looked over the table where they hid, growling as it scanned the back, just right above them. A loud roar was heard outside as the alien turned towards where it was. They all quickly left and climbed back out and hurried towards their machine.

Twilight looked back up and noticed that there was no sign that the aliens were there anymore. She felt footsteps as the machine walked over them, the impact of the machine hitting the ground was getting farther away and farther still. Twilight took the initiative to carry Nyx out and look around. The machine was still in sight but far gone now. Twilight gagged at the smell around her. She noticed a red substance everywhere and came to the horrible realization that this was the blood of ponies that they sprayed. Why would a machine do this? This just sickening! She looked back at Nyx who seemed odd. She was fluttering her eyes, trying to keep them open. "Mom...I don't feel so good." Nyx muttered quietly.

Twilight noticed something different about Nyx. Her usual ebony coat was getting pale, then the horror of realization hit her. She quickly took her off her back and placed her below her chest. Nyx got a hold but her grip was very weak. Twilight helped reinforce the grip by holding her tight. "Hold on now Nyx...we'll get you home and have somepony help you out."

Twilight then flapped her wings and took off. She was still new to this whole flying thing but right now she just needed to get her daughter to the hospital as fast as she could.

Little by little, Nyx was losing consciousness, her eyes were hardly opened as Twilight looked back down. Her heart beat also felt like it was getting weaker and weaker. Soon she could almost barely feel it at all against her chest. "Hold on Nyx...were almost there." After Twilight looked down to Nyx, her eyes were tearing up. She was worried about Nyx's current condition as she flew back over to Ponyville. Surprisingly she didn’t crash to the ground or plummet to the ground like she usually did. Twilight used the same trick from before, using her magic to jump across the sky like she had when running to the broken down town.

Within a few moments for what seemed like an hour to Twilight, she saw the Ponyville and quickly descended into the center of town. Quickly securing Nyx onto her chest with a magic spell, she quickly ran to the hospital, passing by her friends in a blur as they looked on in fear as Twilight quickly neared the hospital.

She burst through the doors and yelled. "Help, please somepony help me!" One of the nurses rushed towards her and noticed the filly in Twilight's foreleg. "Somepony get a bed in here stat!" The nurse yelled.

Ponies came rushing in with one of the beds and asked Twilight to lay her down. She did and watched as they carted her daughter away.

Her friends came in and saw Twilight just standing there. "Twilight...what's the matter?" Applejack asked.

Twilight immediately fell to the ground crying. Her friends rushed over to her, hoping to calm her down. "I...I'm worried for Nyx. I didn't know whether she was going to make it or not." Twilight uttered in a shaky voice. She then thought, I...I should’ve b-been there for her.

Author's Note:

Hello everypony! Hope you liked this chapter. Make sure to leave a like or comment and thank you so much for sticking with this story. Sorry about the long wait for updating most of it, but I had trouble and now seem to have lost Legofan to a ludicrous time schedule, but nonetheless, when he gets situated, I'll have him back up. Until then, I would at least like somepony to help me edit out the chapters that I haven't edited at all. (This was also edited by me). I have learned much, but I'm still new to this whole thing. So if anypony would be kind enough to help, I'd very much appreciate it.

So other than that, hope you all enjoyed the chapter. Have a good morning, afternoon, evening, night or whatever and I shall see you in the next Author's Notes.

Comments ( 44 )

:flutterrage:no you let let shinning armor live:flutterrage:!

4330709 Hahahahaha! :trollestia: I didn't say that he was officially dead now...did I? :rainbowlaugh:
(And besides...I've had something bad happened to him already in another one of my stories. He needs a break).

:pinkiegasp: NO! Cloudsdale IS GONE!!!!!

4330712 :rainbowlaugh: Oh man! I'm surprised that Shining Armor lives!

I need to read this story. I forgot it existed. Also I hope there is a thunderchild scene :rainbowkiss:

that is what has been missing from all of the movie adaptations and yet is such an amazing scene. :rainbowkiss:

4330931 Yes...poor Cloudsdale...:pinkiecrazy: And of course Shining lives, I never did say that I'd kill him off now did I? :trollestia:

4331007 :rainbowlaugh:

4331008 Yeah, haven't really been updating it frequently as I should've. :ajsleepy: (Oh and what is the Thunderchild scene)? :rainbowhuh:

4331930 That's why I put the youtube clip with the message.

The thunderchild scene was the one where the narrator watches his wife escape on a boat along with a fleet of refugee ships, just as several Martian fighting machines arrive and prepare to attack the fleet of ships.

but before they can, a British warship sails out at fullspeed to buy the refugees time. Killing two fighting machines with its main guns before being dealt a fatal blow with their heat rays, but the ship doesn't stop. :ajsmug:

With the last of its energy it goes to ramming speed and kills one more Martian fighting machine by ramming into it, sinking to the bottom with the machine but buying just enough time for all the ships to escape.

:rainbowhuh:It would have been so amazing if Spielberg had added a scene like that in his War of the Worlds film with maybe the USS Missouri or some similar ship.

But sadly no. :unsuresweetie:

4331965 The Tripods in Spielberg's are too OP to be killed by Advanced war ships. They have to die from colds.

Here is an idea from the Special Weapons Division of Japan. Give the tripod giant bronze claws so it would not have to use energy with it's lazers. Do you accept my request? We are here if you need help with a story.

The claws are also retractable and conduct electricity and the Tripod can covert the conducted electricity into energy.

This one does not have to happen. These are all suggestions. But the tripod should be able to activate other tripods still offline. T

And the "headlights" next to the main "eye", there should be Anti-Aircraft guns poking out of those headlights. It's just that none of the ponys can see the AA guns, only the crew on the tripod

4548838 Probably. Yeah, again, this has been done without an editor, because he is currently really busy with a schedule problem. :ajbemused:

4556131 Yeah, it is really hard to catch once own mistakes when writing. Without someone else read it over & proofread it. it happens.

Other then that, it's good.

4717302 Well not in this one... but good reference. :rainbowlaugh:

so shining lived:ajbemused: oh well hopefully you got a plan for this

4717619 Of course... if I ever am able to get back to this story... :facehoof:

4717643 the way you have this is excellent. maybe 2 to 3 chapters and you might be able to finish this. depending on where you want it to go.:pinkiehappy:

4717655 Probably, I'm just so occupied with The True Nightmare, as of now... it's kind of becoming tedious... :ajsleepy:

4717660 I see. well it's up to you on where you want this story to go...

4717681 Right, so when I am able to return to this story, I will make sure to set it back on the path once more. :twilightsmile:

5470306 Do not worry. This story is not cancelled. (Although this version will be.) I will create this story again, just a more revised version, because this story basically is terrible with the grammar and whatnot.

Hi. I like this story. I found it doing research here on FIMFiction to see if anyone else had done a War of the Worlds pony parody because I'm trying to do one as well. :twistnerd: Maybe we should work together so we don't end up competing with each other? Did you ever get your editor friends back? Which version are you using as your model? I'm loosely basing mine on Jeff Wayne's version, the old one with Richard Burton. I like the new one too but Burton sounds to me like he's right there telling me his story where as Neeson comes across more like he's reading some old record out loud. I don't know, it's just me... :twilightblush:

Dis Be Good Story, Bring It Back! (Please?:fluttershysad:)

4157622

I'm pretty sure only one tripod wouldn't suffice for a full blown invasion. wouldn't it have made more sense to put more than one tripod like in the movie? Its like if the USA went to war and only put ONE man with ONE gun in the battlefield. it just doesn't make any sense

6083000 Yes. I understand this. This story... now that I have a better idea on how to make an actual story has been... let's just say a story that I am thinking about scrapping. (That or giving it to someone else.) So in short, the answer will be in a future blog.

6092810 That is actually pretty funny. Too bad this story is going to be cancelled. :fluttershysad:

Please continue

6093121 Well... I just can't get back into it. Currently I am already busy with my other stories. (The True Nightmare Series' third story and not to mention revising the first story, along with a revision of another story.)

So... I am afraid this is my first cancelled story. I guess I lost interest in the machines of War of the Worlds.

XxEpsilonxX...that alright but the first few chapters were great and was hoping for a continueation of the story but its understandable and ill check out some of your other stories when I have the time:twilightsmile:

6094283 Right... thank you. I will make a blog later on this coming week, each one explaining all the necessary things about my stories in development.

XxEpsilonxX...alright:yay:

Wow great story dude too bad it's unfinished. The best part is how you gave the tripod new tactics which is so cool like rods that shoot out shards that'll shred everything it the air and how the middle eye is actually a laser and the best part THE FREAKING MISSLES. Question is who will win this battle. the tripods, or the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water?

8434661
Maybe once they get some tanks, maybe the 'creatures that swarm in a drop of water'

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no telling

8436377
Hey maybe there would be an alternate ending where the aliens actually succeed

8436610
-look of suspicion-
find me a good editor/co-writer ad i'll do it

Where is Discord? He would have annihilated the tripods, turn them into toys or eat it out of amusement.

Hello, are you still active?

Fellow war of the worlds enjoyer/enthusiast! Had no idea this existed, but I’m sad that it’s dead. And for the viewers who are sad this ain’t continuing, I’ve also got a War of the worlds story going on, just published the fourth chapter! However it’s drastically different from this guys version or well as different as it can be. All in all I hope you pick up this story again, it feels fantastic to realize I’m not the only wotw fan on this site.

Login or register to comment