• Published 9th Mar 2012
  • 1,908 Views, 63 Comments

Do Pegasi Dream of Flying Sheep? - boardgamebrony



Rainbow Dash awakens on a strange new world and searches for her friends amidst high technology.

  • ...
1
 63
 1,908

Chapter 6: Enter the PieVerse

The interior space of the storage box was cramped and Rainbow Dash kept flexing her wings as she moaned in frustration. Her feathers grazed Pinkie Pie’s face as the pink pony giggled and curled up next to her friend. “That tickles!” she said.

“Pinkie,” Dash said, “I’m trying very hard not freak out in such close quarters. Pegasi are not meant to be mailed in boxes to random colonies on Mars!”

“Derpy Hooves mailed herself to Las Pegasus once,” Pinkie said. “She came back one hundred-thousand bits richer.”

“How did she get the money?”

“I don’t know. Something about a two-day adventure with three stallions that lost their friend on his wedding day.”

“That sounds dangerous.”

“Don’t worry! Derpy’s fine. I don’t know what happened to the stallions though.” The two sat in silence for almost three seconds when Pinkie spoke up again. “Wanna play a game?”

“No.”

“I Spy?”

“No.”

“Rock, Paper, Scissors?”

“No.”

“Staring contest?” Pinkie kept her eyes open as she turned on the light of her wrist-tablet. Dash blinked. “I win!”

“Pinkie, please. We have forty-five minutes before we make it to the West End Colony. I’m tired. I’m hungry. And to top it off, I was chased by officers less than two hours ago, fell off a hover car, hurt my leg when I broke through a roof of glass, and had to hoof-it to escape capture. Thank you very much, but I’m not in the mood for ANYTHING right now. Except rest. So good night, Pinkie.”

“Okay. I wanted to test this out with your P.E.T. anyway,” Pinkie said as she connected an extendable cord over to Dash’s wrist-tablet.

“What are you doing?”

“I want to dream with you,” Pinkie said.

“You want to what?”

“Besides, you asked me what I had shown to the Captain of the Star Song. Now you get to see it! Doesn’t that sound fun?” Pinkie pressed a few buttons on her tablet as Dash shook her head. She placed a pair of goggles over Dash’s eyes.

“Pinkie, wait…”

---

You look shocked. I don’t see why. Look over there and you’ll see the rolling green fields, lush forests and amazingly super cool waterfalls cascading down into a crystalline pool. Doesn’t that description make you wanna just jump in and swim around? Oh, yeah, the pegasus wings…fly around a bit, then!

Oh, you want to know who I am? I’m DigiPie! I’m the digital version of Pinkie Pie and your friend is currently building this world for you as we speak. It’s called “The PieVerse.” We tried naming it a few other things, like “PieCadia, PieVille, PieQuestria,” and even “the PieTrix,” though I have no idea what that last one was about. It just sounded fun.

The PieVerse was made while Pinkie Pie was working in the mines of Noctis Labyrhinthum. She was really sad because she didn’t have a lot of friends, until one day this really shy mine worker named Rory showed up and offered to help her. He just wanted someone to talk to and Pinkie Pie became that friend for him. In return, he made a program for her based on a digital form of entertainment called Digital Universing. Such universes could be anything from a simple room for interaction to entire worlds created on a single data disc, complete with backup in-case anything scary happens like asteroid impact, super volcano eruption or massive warmongering interstellar bunny horde.

The technology was simple to use, but Pinkie Pie made it even better. She learned the basics of world construction from Rory and built upon it with her own understanding of logic. And that’s how Equestria Five was made! Why five? I don’t know. It’s a simulation that self-learns and builds upon itself, but memory has to be added to the unit after it reaches a certain level of complexity or else it will halt and not allow progress to go any further.

Does your head hurt yet, Dashie? I’m sorry. Have a cupcake. A cupcake the SIZE OF A MOUNTAIN!

---

“Hey Dashie! Wake up!”

“Yeah Dashie! Wake up!”

Rainbow Dash rubbed her head as she sat up. A field of tall grass covered her up to her chest as two pink ponies bounced around her. “Oh my gosh,” Dash said, “There are TWO of you?”

“I’m DigiPie!” the one with yellow eyes said.

“And I’m Pinkie Pie!” the other with blue eyes said.

Then they both spoke in-sync. “And we found a map! To Cupcake Mountain!”

Rainbow Dash’s mouth dropped. “A map….to where?

The two Pies pointed at a mountain in the distance. The sun was rising over a peak covered in white with pink sides leading all the way down into a river of rushing rainbow colors. The clouds were cotton-candy pink and chocolate rain pelted the mountainside as Rainbow Dash watched on.

“WHAT IS THAT?” Rainbow Dash nearly shouted.

“Edible is what it is! All of it!” DigiPie said.

“We can eat our way out of anything! No more TaffyLanches to worry about,” Pinkie said.

“Is that an avalanche of taffy?” Dash asked. The two pink ponies nodded. “I thought so. I’m gonna go back to sleep now and you can wake me from this crazy world when we get to our destination.” Dash put her head down…

…and found it resting on a pillow in her home. She immediately raised it and peered around in shock. “Not funny, Pinkie! Stop doing that!” She stood up, walked over to her entry door and opened it. Rainbow Dash did not move.

Through the entryway of her home, she saw the interior of Canterlot Castle. Princess Celestia had just sent Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack out of an opaque sphere of privacy. Rainbow Dash saw herself as the memory of her moved out of the sphere and stood, ears down and eyes closed, off to the side. Rainbow Dash looked at her memory-self and ran forward. She phased through the body of her doppleganger and toppled into the privacy sphere.

Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia were talking.

“I’m sorry I have to burden you with this information, my faithful student,” Celestia said, “But remember that I have never had a pony as skilled, as caring, as amazing as you under my wing.” She raised her wing over the young unicorn as Twilight started to cry. She moved underneath the feathers of the Princess and sniffled as she choked upon her words.

“No, please don’t make us go. I don’t want to go there.”

“I’m sorry,” Celestia said. “I…I want things to be different, but if you don’t go, all of Equestria will suffer.”

“Send someone else!” Twilight yelled. “We had to fight Nightmare Moon by ourselves. Then it was Discord. Then so many more things…Why does it have to be us? We’re just fillies!

Princess Celestia lowered her muzzle to her student and nuzzled her as tears began to flow. “I am so sorry, Twilight. Please forgive me…”

“NO!” Twilight said as she backed off. The Princess stood back, stunned. “No, I’m sorry too. I can’t! I can’t do it! I can’t lead my friends into danger like this anymore! How can you ask me to go to a place where I may never come back?”

“I…”

“You do it!” Twilight yelled. “Then, see how you feel when you have to leave behind everypony you care about.” The Princess lowered her head and closed her eyes. And then she stopped moving. Twilight however, kept sobbing.

Rainbow Dash looked at her friend. “I never knew, Twilight,” she said. “I never knew what you had to go through.”

“No,” Twilight said. “How could you, Dash?”

The blue pegasus took a step back. “But…aren’t you a memory?”

“Yes,” Twilight said. “A memory…stuck in time. Stuck..and alone.”

“Wait…” Dash said. A burst of light enveloped the scene as the pegasus moved to embrace her friend, but when she reached out, she grasped nothing but air.
---

Rainbow Dash sat up in the storage box. Or tried to anyway. She hit her head and cried out in pain. Pinkie removed the goggles from Dash’s face and the pegasus saw a similar pair of glasses on top of Pinkie’s head. “Dashie, what happened? You just disappeared for a few minutes and then…poof, here you are.”

“I saw her.”

“Saw who?” Pinkie asked.

“Twilight Sparkle! I saw her and all of us back at Canterlot Castle when the Princess called us together. But she was arguing with Celestia and…she started talking to me, like she was right there with me. Didn’t you see any of that?”

“No,” Pinkie Pie said. “I just saw you at the edge of Cupcake Mountain and then…”

“Where are we?” Dash asked.

Pinkie looked at her tablet again. “We should arrive at the colony in a few minutes. I feel the hover moving a lot slower now. I think it’s trying to land.”

“Pinkie…what if Twilight really is stuck somewhere? How could we get her out?” The pink pony shook her head and Dash turned on her tablet as she brought up the map of tracking units. Her own tracker and Pinkie Pie’s were overlapping, but four more spread out around the city. “I don’t get it, though. According to the tracking bugs, there are still four other ponies moving around out there. So I don’t understand how Twilight could be stuck anywhere if each of these signs if moving.”

“Maybe you were dreaming during the simulation,” Pinkie said. “Anyways, we’re here!”

The movement came to a halt. There was silence for about a minute before the box was lifted up and put down again. Both Pinkie and Dash kept a hoof over their mouths as the sound of footsteps walked away and one pair approached. There was a shuffling above the box as it opened into daylight…

---

Comments ( 41 )

Pretty trippy. Then again, it's Pinkie Pie :pinkiecrazy:

The straw that finally broke Twilight's back.

374987

Hehe, eeyep! She's exactly that. And just imagine what kind of crazy things she can do on Mars!

-BGB

377708

Not only that, but if you know the immensity of the straw, you'd be able to understand why it was so hard for her to bear. And trust me when I say I'm leading up to that reveal as soon as a few plot points are dealt with. It will be a massive turning point in the story.

-BGB

Still working on a new chapter?

1194000

Not yet, but I've thought about it on occasion. Especially Rarity's part. Still have plans, but National Pony Writing Month is taking up my time right now. Plus the Brony Fan Fair convention.

bronyfanfair.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/brony_fan_fair_ponykart_banner.png

1194139 So this story isn't cancelled yet? Good. :twilightsmile:

1194146

oh no, not at all. I love science-y fiction.:twilightsmile:

1194161 Me too. I have an anthology of Philip Dick's short stories here waiting for me to be read. :twilightsmile:

Have you had any time to continue this in the last months? :twilightsheepish:

2455863

Aw, sorry. Haven't actually done anything with this story. I've thought about it from time to time, but not enough to write something. I've wondered how different the next chapter would be because of my current writing level. But if I do write something, I'll post an update on my blog. It's not over. ::twilightsmile:

Holy shit, I remember this!

3375757

Hah! cool! I actually tried making an audio version of the scene where the helicopter comes in. That was my FRIGGIN FAVORITE scene near the beginning.

I miss this story...

The Rarity one about Red District 3 shows what Rarity is doing during all this. It only has one chapter right now though. Not sure when I'll continue that...

3380464 This story, and you, hold a very special place in my dark online heart. This was one of the first stories I faved, and you were the first person to ever comment on my page about the story! Ah, the good ol' days. Every now and then I cruise through my old faves and check up on the authors that haven't updated in a while... it's usually very depressing. People just disappear without any kind of goodbye, and it leads me to believe the worst has happened. I'm glad you're still around and kicking, though.

3380767

*hugs* aw, I appreciate the fact that you remember this story and me so fondly. I remember did enjoy writing it. I know it's not complete and that I update every now and then. Recently, the stories I submitted were "Journey to the House of Dust" and "The Siege of Red District 3: Unicorn Protocol" starring Roseluck and Rarity, respectively.

I'm such a jack-of-all-trades in the brony fandom. I've been a volunteer for conventions and recently was Lead Programming Coordinator was Brony Fan Fair 2013 in Austin, Texas this past September. I'm also now helping Neil Drawponies as an online moderator for his websites: www.drawponies.com I write the polls on his deviantART page and submit his new content to the various social sites.

I travel to conventions with Neil to sell his stuff too. I think about fan fiction stuff all the time. Well, I don't normally classify it like that. Usually, it's just some mental fantasy to get through the day, but now with the polls on drawponies DA, my hyper-imagination is finally getting a chance to play with a new poll every single day.

I still gotta work on a Luna costume too...for Nightmare Nights Dallas this November.

3384030 Wow dude, I had no idea you were so active! I've never been to a brony con, in fact I just went to my first a month back. RVA con in Richmond, Virginia, games, comics, anime; first one they've held and it was a huge success. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll be joining in on one of the other cons.

I still haven't forgotten about this story! :twilightsmile:

5411946

Whoa, you commented here 87 weeks ago and you still remember! :D :D :D IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY!

I actually did a voice-acting practice with this story to see where I could take it. I want to add to it...I know how I could. I just have to find the time.

Thank you for remembering, Feurisson. *hugs*

If you really wanted to stretch it, this story could also be based off Harrison Ford's "Blade Runner". But yeah, the book came first, so you win I guess...

5918083

Ah, I'd read the book and seen the movie, but no doubt somewhere in my mind the two started to mix and then this came out. :P

Very well written, I was drawn in to the point I could almost see myself in the situation, now I await further chapters, I love the story and look forward to reading more.

5988888

Awesome! Thank you so much for your kind words. I worked really hard to create that immersion of the reader into the scenario. Whenever I start imagining myself in a story, that's when I know I've got something special. :)

Oh, and in the next week I'm going to start doing audio-readings of fan fiction on my youtube channel. I think I might start with this one. It was either this story or one about VInyl Scratch. I can get around to both if I just keep at it day-to-day.

Expect to hear a dramatic reading of "Do Pegasi Dream of Flying Sheep" very soon. I'll post about it in my fimfiction blog, so you won't miss it if you just keep an eye out for it in the next week. :)

5989666 I will look forward to the dramatic reading, thank you

3 years of waiting and I still haven't given up on this story, that's how good it was! :D

6962438

And I always remember that you have such a passion for this story whenever I think about it. With all the inspiring reminders you give me, there's always a chance I'll get to return to this. I keep thinking how I'd like to approach it now with all this extra writing skill I have gained since I first started the story, but I think it would help me write it out in a more complex way.

Don't worry. I am thinking about when I can continue this. :)

Thank you for your dedication! It means so much to me :D

7004320 No problem! :twilightsmile: Thanks for the reply and, I'm glad to be able to inspire you! I just keep coming back to this story because even though I've read hundreds of other stories since I read this one, I still haven't found any other one that has a similar setting and is not a crossover with a game or a TV series. Or a storyline that is as oddly captivating. I'm looking forward to seeing it continued, whenever you are ready. I know that I haven't updated my stories in years either, haha.

Any Science Fiction stories/movies taking place on Mars

Ya know, there was some science fiction-y type movie that was mostly on Mars, I think it was called the Fifth Main character was not a cab driver. Anyway, it was a bit of a messy plot, a bit confusing. The thing is, he wanted to experience in virtual reality being a superspy, on a Mars colony, acting out amazing things and getting his dream girl at the end despite him already being married, then it seems something went wrong and he was forcibly removed from the simulator, and then events play out like a superspy story in which the main character does amazing things on Mars and gets a dream girl. The simulation was supposed to temporarily change the personality with a personality module to spy as well, but with movie explanation, the malfunction was caused by his actual personality being that of a spy, but he had had his head (5 h's in a row) messed with. Halfway through, his wife enters a hotel room he's staying at, and tells him that a malfunction occurred in the simulation, forcing him to be stuck there unless he forced his way out with a pill she had. He almost takes it, but doesn't and instead attacks, believing that she was just trying to confuse him and was working for the main antagonist. She immediately starts acting like she is, by the way. Anyway, in the end, the main antagonist's head explodes when he's ejected onto the surface before the main character and his dream girl activated some ancient artifact that spreads oxygen throughout Mars, making the surface breathable. It ends directly after the protagonist and that girl start making out, because reasons.

7338393

I love Total Recall! The original though. Never saw the new one. It's one of my favorite movies. Based on a Philip K. Dick book, too, which is the same author as the one who wrote the story that inspired this tale (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)

Thanks for checking this story out! :D *hugs*

7339482 That was called total recall? Huh. Who was that guy that was a cab driver, kept saying he had five kids to feed, and then turned traitor?

Also, have not yet read this.

7340500

Ah when you get to read it, let me know! :)

That line about the cab driver sounds like it might be from another movie, unless it's from a version of the movie I don't remember. Hmm...

7341100 It was definitely in that movie.

7004320 you continuing this at all?

7345720

Actually yes i will! I just made a tie-in to this story from another one of my fics, though i won't say which one, cause it might give away a plot point if someone hasn't noticed it yet. However, because of this new tie-in that just happened, i now have a really good idea of some of the new twists and perspectives I want to focus on in this story! :D

Thanks for reading it! :D

7347571 your quite welcome best author

......have a ponka:pinkiehappy:

Oh, nice, you have cover now for the story! It's really fitting, too.

7349981

Yep! I thought "Hey Blade Runner fits for obvious reasons." :P So I picked that! :D

Hey, how is it going? :twilightsmile:

8379019
Oh hey only...7 months later i have responded! Time flies when you're living life! I was working at a factory when you last left a comment here. No wonder i was so busy it was hard to respond!

I'm coming up with constant story ideas and I have this puppet show idea for ponies that i want to use as a springboard for more story ideas that i haven't had the time to sit down and write (but can definitely sit down, start a video and create some cute/endearing puppet drama and comedy). I plan on announcing that here on the journal system for this site.

I also need to not feel so constrained by character perspective and simply write what's happening in this Pegasi story from some other ponies perspective, to get the ball rolling again. I have a heart for sci-fi and this one still intrigues me.

*hugs*

8863673
It's alright, I also have been checking this site so rarely that I missed the notification for your reply the first time. :twilightsheepish:

Good to hear you are still having ideas, I'm looking forward to hear more from you! It would be great to see this story continued. At this point I'm getting serious feelings of nostalgia just from thinking about it, heh.

In any case, good luck with your jobs as well, and see you around here.

Hey, nice to see you haven't left the site yet! I think you are the only user here I haven't lost contact with and who still remembers me.

It looks like you are no longer on this site, but if you ever come back, I wanted to tell you that despite its short length and all-too-soon end this story left a deep impression on me, as I really enjoyed the idea of combining two aesthetics and universes that are so different from each other – the picturesque and cheerful fantasy world of cartoon ponies and the harsh and gloomy sci-fi world of Philip K Dick's stories, and so I still think about it from time to time.

Login or register to comment