• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 2,524 Views, 44 Comments

Love Conquers Hate...Right? - mint20



A story in which a young Princess and her lover, a young, brave Pegasus named Rainbow Dash, face prejudice and hatred. A story based off of real life.

  • ...
21
 44
 2,524

Chapter 6: Damage

Author's Note:

I feel the need to remind you that the events of this fic occur before Season 4, therefor before the destruction of Golden Oaks.

Also, now that school has begun again, I shall allot one hour every day to this fic, so (hopefully) that will result in more common and reliable updates. No promises, though. :/

Chapter 6: Damage
Love Conquers Hate...Right?

Silence.

Twilight blinked twice, then stepped back a foot or so. Without a word, she backed out the door and threw herself into the sky, flying away.

She flew, at speeds she had never reached before. Where? Her mind didn't care. Just fly. Fly fast, fly far. For Rainbow Dash had awoken deep emotions in her, emotions the young Princess was utterly confused by. One thought was constant, though.

Why, Rainbow? Why?


“Stupid...Stupid...Stupid!” Rainbow Dash screamed, punctuating each stupid by smashing her head into a nearby table. “You had one shot, one chance to shoot the arrow, and instead of the target, you shoot it to Tartaus!” She continued bashing until she felt light-headed. Looking at the table, she saw a few drops of red liquid on it.

Stopping for a moment, she stared at her blood for a moment. As she thought about what had just happened, Rainbow, involuntarily, put a hoof on her own heart. It was odd, for she didn't remember hurting her chest. However, there was a dull ache were her heart was. It somehow hurt worse, much worse, than the injury she had just given herself.

Rainbow Dash had heard of being “heartbroken” before. She had scoffed at the idea, thinking of it as a romantic description for a simple thing. But really, now she understood what her books were saying.

Well, one thing was sure. Rainbow Dash would be bucked if she was going to let her friendship with Twilight collapse. One way or another, she had to make it up to her. She vowed that she would fix this, be it the last thing she does.


Twilight continued, flying around Ponyville, when she came up on her library. Blinking away something that felt suspiciously like tears, the young Princess landed – somewhat shakily – next to the entrance.

The two guards posted to cover the door to the tree started at the rustle, fumbling with their spears.

“No need. It's me,” Twilight said. Her voice sounded hollow, even to her.

“Your Highness,” the leftmost guard said.

The rightmost guard squinted through the night, confirming that the pony was actually the Princess, then said, in a perfectly level voice, “Sergeant Iron Feather wants to speak with you, Princess.”

Of course, she thought. She said, “Seal the library. I don't want to be disturbed by anypony.”

“Yes, Your Highness!”

She slammed the door open, to see the sergeant standing, tending to a bruise in his wing. “Princess Twilight,” he growled lowly, with his eyebrows coming together, “may I speak to you?”

“Later,” Twilight said.

“But-”

“LATER!” she snapped, running up the stairs and throwing herself onto her bed.

...What's her problem? the sergeant wondered.

Come on, come on, come on! Rainbow Dash thought. Where under Luna's moon are you, Twilight?

She banked left, about to make another pass over the town, when she caught a glimpse of Twilight's library. This would not have been that interesting, if it wasn't that, in that very moment, despite the billion-to-one odds, Twilight turned one of the lights.

“Of COURSE!!!” Rainbow screamed, so angry with herself, she started speaking out loud. “Of course Twilight would go back to her home! How did I miss that!?!”

With that, she shot towards the tree.


She landed hard, harder than she meant to. That's a bruised foreleg for at least a week, her experience told her. Dimly, she heard the jangle of equipment.

“Halt! This library is closed until further notice!” came a deep voice.

“No, no, you don't understand!” replied Rainbow. “I need to get in there!”

The guard snorted, then said, “Princess Twilight Sparkle herself said that she does not want to be disturbed by anypony. Anypony includes you, kiddo.”

Rainbow snapped. “First, don't call me kiddo. Second, you will LET ME IN TO TALK TO MY FRIEND!”

“No.”

“YOU LITTLE-”

“What in Equestria is going on here!?!” Interjected a third voice, very familiar to both Dash and the guard.

“Princess!” exclaimed the guard. “My apologies. I will remove the intruder.”

“Twilight! I need to talk to you! Please,” said Rainbow Dash, with just a touch of desperation.

Twilight paused for a moment, then said, “No. Maybe tomorrow. Right now, I need to think.”

“I won't leave this area until I talk to you!”

Twilight paused, then responded, in a tone that could freeze hydrogen, “Noted. I recommend you go home. It's too cold to stay outside.” She turned to the leftmost guard and said, “You're dismissed for now.” The guard saluted, then walked off to the building the guards had rented.

“Twi-” The door slammed in Dash's face.

Damn it, Twilight, she cursed internally. Out loud, she muttered, “Fine. Two can play this game.”

She turned to the guard and said, “Do what you will, but I am not leaving. Not until I can talk to her.”

The guard sighed. “I...I don't know what to do. My orders are clear: Princess Twilight Sparkle ordered me, in no uncertain terms, to deny everypony access to the library. And I'm compelled by oath to do so. However...in the four years I have served as the Princess's guard, I have never known her to turn away one of her dearest friends. Add to that the fact that you are none other than Rainbow Dash, the Bearer of the Element of Loyalty, and I'm torn. I am under oath to take Princess Twilight's orders, but I'm also under oath to look out for her well-being. And I know that she is not issuing orders I have come to expect from her.”

“Yeah, that's my fault,” said Rainbow Dash, her head drooping. “I really messed up with her...uh...”

“Private Arrowhead, at your service.”

“You already know me.”

“Indeed.” Arrowhead leaned forward slightly, brow knit. “Just what did you do?”

“I...I'd rather not say. I have to get in there and talk to her, though.”

The guard stared at Rainbow Dash for a few minutes, his face perfectly blank. Rainbow could almost hear the gears turning in his mind. Finally, he shook his head and said, “I know this is going to get me in trouble, but...go. My orders were to stop anypony who would disturb the Princess...she won't be disturbed by her best friend.”

“Thank you! You won't regret it!”

“I hope not...you owe me one, Rainbow Dash.”

“Celestia knows,” Dash muttered. “Now, let's see if I can get the same luck out of Twilight.”


The pony in question was laying on her bed while much of the discussion outside was taking place.

Ugh! What is going on? What did Rainbow do? No, that's obvious. She kissed me. Why? Why did she complicate things between us? I swear, that pony has a habit of finding the deepest patch of quicksand and diving right into it.

She dimly heard her door opening, then closing. “I thought I ordered the guard to keep everypony out!”

There was no response for a long moment.

Then, the voice spoke. “Twilight, hear me out.”

Twilight punched her pillow, part out of confusion, part anger. “I don't want to talk to you, Rainbow.”

“Well, I want to talk to you,” the pegasus shot back, harsher than she meant to. She cringed and quickly changed tactics, saying, in as soothing of a voice as she could muster, “Twilight, I want-”

“Oh, so now we're on what you want?” Twilight bit back in a scathing voice. “What about what I want?! For the record, I did NOT you, a pony I thought could trust, kissing me and bringing things to a whole new level of awkward between us!”

When Rainbow heard “I though I could trust,” come out of Twilight's mouth, she felt her heart drop to her hooves. She had betrayed one of her closest friend's trust...few charges were as serious in her book.

Mentally devastated, Rainbow felt her ears drop slightly, and, unbidden, she felt moisture start to form in her eyes. Blinking quickly, she said quietly, “I know what I did was wrong and selfish. And I don't want this to destroy our friendship forever.”

Twilight was silent for several moments, then said, very quietly, “I don't know Dash. Some things are unforgivable.” With that, she turned and again jumped out into the sky, leaving Rainbow behind and on the verge of tears for the second time that night.

Comments ( 12 )

what the fuck, twilight!? way to be a grade A bitch! 'Some things are unforgivable.' that's rich, coming from the creator of the smartypants incident! and fucking Mare Do Well!

4888445
Well i am pretty sure that being kissed without your permission is considered harassment so she has reasons to be angry, and to be fair the Smarty Pants incident is different from the kiss as it was an act of insanity(remember that Twilight was not acting normal in that episode, what with having hallucinations and talking to her reflection in water) rather than an act done under an normal state of mind like Rainbow Dash when she kissed her, and Mare-Do-Well...was just an badly written episode that even the show pretends it does not exist,

Comment posted by Fox-Sama deleted Aug 22nd, 2014

Wow,,, I did not see this coming at all...

4890254 Spammy, so I deleted your other comment. Don't take it personally :) :twilightsmile:

4891344

Oh no its fine, I did not kn ow it went up twice, its golden. :rainbowderp:

My interest has been peaked...
Please, continue.

3528801 Has my nitpicking been summoned?

Books!:twilightsmile:

4891344 so is this story dead...or what?

4891344 wby djd you cancel it?

I came back here, and holy bazinga! I thought I had high nostalgia before, but this beats all of it in comparison! You have no idea how much your story impacted me! This, in fact, is what inspired me into trying a fic of my own!

Man, I'm going to die of nostalgia by the end of the night while cruising in my old account's history! :rainbowlaugh:

seems to me the story never even progressed far enough to match the description

Login or register to comment