• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 2,524 Views, 44 Comments

Love Conquers Hate...Right? - mint20



A story in which a young Princess and her lover, a young, brave Pegasus named Rainbow Dash, face prejudice and hatred. A story based off of real life.

  • ...
21
 44
 2,524

Chapter 5: Emotions, Part II

Author's Note:

WARNING: This chapter is MUCH darker than the others of this fanfic. Reader discretion is advised.

Thanks to my friend Derick for helping conquer my case of writer's block!

Chapter 5: Emotions, Part II
Love Conquers Hate...Right?

The door closed behind Twilight. To Rainbow Dash, it echoed in her mind, multiplying and amplifying upon itself until it was deafening.

Suddenly, a sob forced itself out, and that was it. The dam was broken, and the river of tears started flowing freely. Throwing herself onto the couch, she started bawling, like she was a young filly again.

The last time Rainbow had cried freely like that was almost exactly ten years previously. It was the worst Hearth's Warming ever.

Rainbow Dash must have cried herself to sleep, for suddenly she was in the past, on that fateful day...

She opened the door to the cloud house, mentally bracing herself. Rainbow had seen it several times before: Litter everywhere, broken glass, and, above all, the stench of stale alcohol.

“Mother! I'm home from flight school!” Dash yelled, hoping against hope that there would be no answer. But nope, not today.

“Good! Come here!” came the answering yell, and Rainbow felt a sinking feeling in her heart. The voice slurred her words and had the tones of a mare who knew she had drank more than she could handle.

Rainbow walked down the hall of the place she called home and turned right, hoping that she was wrong, that, for once, her mother would live up to the Dash's expectations. That make her disappointment all the more bitter when she saw the pitiful scene in front of her.

The mare that Rainbow called Mother was lying in her bed. Her once multicolored mane, similar to Rainbow's, had darkened over the years of excessive alcohol. Her coat, a slightly darker shade of blue than Dash's, was messy and unkempt. Dash figured that it had been at least three days since it was last washed, probably more. The mare's eyes had a faraway look in them, as if she was watching somepony else control her body.

What was worse was the scene around her. The bed was messy and stank of cheap beer. On it, there was the too-familiar stains of spilled alcohol – some of which seemed fresh – and other stains. Dash did not want to know the stories behind them.

“What do you want?” asked Dash, careful to keep any emotion out of her voice.

The mare frowned, then said, “What have I taught you about respecting your elders? Now, help me up. Your poor old mother needs you.”

Dash recognized this trap. The mare had used it several times before. Dash sighed quietly, resigning herself to the fact that she could not count on her mother anymore.

“What was that?” snapped Dash's mother. Apparently, Dash was not quiet enough when she sighed.

Rainbow gave a start, wary of what was coming next. “Umm...Nothing?” Dash answered.

“I think is was something, little filly. I will have you know that I do not like it when other ponies mutter under their breath.”

Rainbow Dash would never forget what she said next: “Why do you think I care?”

Dash's mother's breath hitched for a moment. In Dash's opinion, the look on her face was timeless. She could still see it clearly: A look of complete confusion and anger blended perfectly with just a touch of weariness.

“What did you say?” asked the mare.

“I said,” said Dash, more forcefully, “why should I care what you think?? You never have. Ever since Dad left all those years ago, you couldn't give a shit about me! Well, now I'm returning the favor!” By now, Dash's voice had risen to a shout.

Dash's mother frowned for a moment. The alcohol was clouding her mind, so it took a moment for the meaning of Dash's words to sink in. “You mean...”

“I mean, I don't care anymore! Go to the deepest, darkest, worse part of Tartarus for all I care. Maybe then you will be paid back a fraction of the living hell you've given me!”

Dash's mother surged to her hooves as fast as her drunken body could. Her mind was clouded, but she felt outraged at Dash for challenging her so. “How DARE you speak to me like that!” she bellowed.

Dash flinched, and for a moment, the rebellious flame within her flickered, getting dangerously close to going out. However, Dash's mother had make a great mistake in yelling at her. After a moment, the fire steadied and started to grow, fueled by Rainbow's sorrow, resentment, and fury at being addressed like that by her own mother.

“NO!” Dash screamed back. “How dare YOU for ignoring me, getting drunk, and writing me off! You couldn't be a good mother if they shot five gallons of estrogen into your blood!” By now, Dash felt tears running down her face. “And you think I'M in the wrong! Look in the mirror once in a while, you worthless piece of shit! Maybe you will learn something!” By now, she was crying freely.

The other mare stalked over to Dash and hit her with a hoof. “You WILL be an obedient daughter!” she yelled.

Dash looked her in the eye, through the tears, and spat in her face. “Fuck you. I'm only obedient to those who deserve it.”

The other mare struck her again, and again. Each time, Dash felt herself slipping closer and closer to unconscious, when, suddenly, there was a bright flash of light. The projection of Dash's mother vanished, and in her place, stood Princess Luna.

“Princess...what...what are you doing here?” asked Dash, forgetting most tradition in her surprise.

“Rainbow Dash...the Bearer of the Element of Loyalty. Your dreams of late have been dark and terrifying. Tell me, what is on your mind?” asked Luna.

“Wait, woah. Are you saying that you are in my dreams?”

Princess Luna grimaced. “Yes, it is part of my duties. It caused me...issues...back thousands of years ago.”

Dash nodded, then asked, “Why are you here?”

Instead of answering directly, Princess Luna asked, “Why are you having these dreams?”

“I...just think that with Hearth's Warming coming up soon, maybe that's why I'm dreaming like this.”

“Really? Is that really what you think?” Luna responded, raising an eyebrow. “Look deeper into yourself, young Rainbow Dash.”

Truth be told, Dash already had an idea as to the cause of her stress. Slowly, and halting every couple seconds, she told the Princess what she felt.

For her part, Princess Luna didn't even act surprised when Rainbow Dash confessed her innermost feeling. Instead, she said, “Rainbow Dash, I will tell you this now: Everypony has fears. They seem – and usually are – dark and terrifying. But, face them you must, or the nightmares will continue.”

“Now, my little pony, rest easy for now. I will make sure your dreams for the remainder of tonight are peaceful. However, I will not always be able to do this. I have other subjects that need my help. Face your fears, Rainbow Dash! Only then will the nightmares end! Face you fears!” With that, Princess Luna withdrew from Dash's mind and cast a spell to hold the nightmares at bay. It wasn't perfect. The nightmares hovered at the edge of Dash's thoughts, threatening to break free and haunt her again. However, for the rest of the night, she slept deeply, if somewhat uneasily.

Dash started, waking up suddenly. In her room, watching her, was Twilight.

“Twi, what in the wide, wide world of Equestria are you doing her?” she asked, speaking a little more brittle than she intended.

Twilight flinched at her words, and Dash instantly felt bad. However, she did not let up in her questioning gaze.

“I...blast, I don't know, Dash!” Twilight said. “I feel awful for what I did, making you tell me uncomfortable secrets before you were ready. Can you forgive me?”

Rainbow heard the words and felt the sincerity behind them. She felt her heart soften, and replied, “Yeah. It's cool.”

Twilight looked relieved. She sighed, then smiled at Dash. “I'm glad to hear that,” she said.

After a moment, Rainbow returned her smile. “I can't stay mad at you for long,” she replied, slightly ruefully. Before Twilight could reply, Dash continued, “You know, what I said back there was not smart. I think I should tell you the story.”

“Dash...you don't have to do that. You have made it clear you don't want to discuss it. I respect your choice.”

“No!” Dash snapped. “I mean, yes, I should. I must tell somepony, and you I trust more than anypony else. Just, don't share this, okay?”

Twilight hesitated, then nodded.

“Okay. So, back when I was...” Dash told the story, what she had seen in her dream/ flashback, on that fateful day, almost ten years ago. She noticed, but barely registered Twilight's reaction to her description of her abuse: Twilight looked shocked and appalled at the details Dash gave.

“By then, I had had it. When I came to after being knocked out, I packed a bag and fled the house. I moved into the flight school dormitory and lived there for almost a year. However, that didn't last. You see, after I left, I...I felt open and weak. I remembered that that was how my mother was able to hurt me. You know, not physically, the other way. Well, after that day, I swore to myself that I would never allow anypony to affect me like that ever again. I hardened my heart, turning inward. I made very few friends. That is the real reason I befriended Gilda. She was what I was trying to become: arrogant, self-assured, and as hard as stone. Eventually, however, my attitude and disobedience got me in big trouble at flight school, and they kicked me out. After that, I decided to strike out on my own, taking any work I could find. Eventually, the weather team head-hunted me and I moved to Ponyville, looking to lead a solitary life. However, something happened that I did not expect.”

Rainbow Dash could not stop herself from pausing for a moment. The mare had always had a flair for dramatic revelations. As she suspected she would, Twilight leaned forward slightly, eyebrows raised. “What?”

Rainbow learned forward and kissed her, then said, “I met you.”