• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 2,524 Views, 44 Comments

Love Conquers Hate...Right? - mint20



A story in which a young Princess and her lover, a young, brave Pegasus named Rainbow Dash, face prejudice and hatred. A story based off of real life.

  • ...
21
 44
 2,524

Chapter 4: Emotions, Part I

Chapter 4: Emotions, Part I
Love Conquers Hate...Right?

Gradually, Twilight's workload dwindled. She was like that. When that pony set her mind to it, she could make huge projects look like nothing.

It was near evening when she reached the final report. Skimming through it, she found nothing of importance and roughly threw it at the pile of completed projects. Her work completed, the Alicorn threw open the door to the library and took to the sky. Wobbling slightly in her flight, Twilight enjoyed the cool evening air for a while. Glancing up, she noticed that the pegasus team was working at moving clouds to a place somewhere in the east. Flying a little closer, she could make out almost all of the ponies.

Almost all.

One of them was a blur of color, moving too fast for Twilight to make out. Whoever it was, he/she was greatly outperforming the other pegusi.

Twilight only had to wonder about it for a moment, though. Tilting her head, she caught sight of the distinctive rainbow-colored trail.

Of course. Only one pony would make everypony else look like they aren't even trying, she thought.

Twilight would be interested, but probably not surprised, if she heard that the pony in question was thinking similar thoughts as her.


Now, just need to get this last group of clouds to the drop-off, then it's all done! Rainbow Dash thought to herself. Maybe I can even get off early and visit Twi- wait, is that her?!

She glanced over her shoulder to the indistinct lavender shape. Wow, it is. Didn't she say she had “a lot of work to do?”

“Hey! Derpy! Watch yourself!” Dash yelled to a distinct gray and blond pegasus. She had just caused a cloud to rain over Town Hall.

She turned and waved absentmindedly to Rainbow. When she did, she accidentally hit the nearby thundercloud. With a crack, a bolt of lightning shot out of it and singed her tail. If she noticed, Derpy gave no sign.

Sighing, Rainbow Dash pushed Derpy from her mind and focused at the task at hoof. Moving the cloud she was handling, the cyan pegasus gave it one last push, finally moving it into place. Her task done, she wiped her brow clear of sweat with a hoof and turned to the main office. Rainbow Dash was already looking forward to going home and resting. Maybe I'll fake being sick tomorrow, she thought. After all, that is better than dealing with the idiots around here.

Dash was angry at the weather team for a few reasons. More than the actual team, she was irritated at the “administrators” of the team because of their tendency to buck up. For example, take the current day. The schedule on Friday promised an easy, chill Monday, seeing as most of Ponyville and the surrounding areas were assigned mild days, with warm temperatures and barely a cloud in the sky. What somepony manged to miss, however, is the small detail that Las Pegasus had gone without rain for almost a month. Crops were starting to die. As a result, the easy Monday became the type of Monday ponies on the weather patrol fear: Hard work as teams of pegasi, numbering two or three, mostly, moved heavy clouds laden with gallons upon gallons of water towards the drop-off point.

Rainbow Dash shook her head, muttering, “Eggheads. They talk a lot, but never have the faintest idea what they are doing.” After a while considering it, though, Dash had to admit that that was not true. Not for everypony she knew, at least.

“Hey! Rainbow!” somepony yelled after her. Rainbow easily figured it to be Twilight. Slowing down, she allowed the Princess to catch up.

Before Twilight could say anything, Rainbow Dash commented, “Well, your flying has improved.”

Twilight smiled and said, “But of course. I had the best teacher.”

Dash was slightly taken aback by the unexpected compliment, but recovered quickly. “You're right. I am that awesome.”

The Princess sighed, and said, “Still not a touch of humility, huh?”

“Why should I be humble? Somepony needs to take the credit.”

Twilight sighed again and shook her head, but held her peace.

After flying for a moment, Twilight broke the awkward silence by saying, “So, what are you doing today?”

“Well...” Rainbow trailed off. In all honesty, she had no idea what she would do that evening. “I'm not sure...I was looking forward to relaxing tonight.”

“Huh,” Twilight responded. “Long day?”

“You bet. We had to make up for the fact that somepony in the higher-ups screwed up some of the calculations or whatnot. We've been making up the difference all day.”

“Huh,” Twilight said. “Well, if you have been working as hard as you claim to have been, then I think I will let you rest up.”

“Nah, its not that bad. Fly with me,” Dash responded.

Twilight did not argue, glad for the opportunity to fly with one of her best friends. “Where are we going?” she asked, curious due to the fact that the cyan pegasus was not leading her to Rainbow's house.

“Oh, I don't know. I'm just flying for the sake of it. Do you want to go anywhere?”

“Wherever the wind takes us,” Twilight responded, smiling slightly. Rainbow Dash looked over to the Alicorn, saw her smile, and sighed contently. This is how it should be, she thought. No threat, no discord, just a peaceful moment with one of my dearest friends.

“Rainbow...Rainbow!” Twilight's voice snapped her back to the present.

“Huh...oh! What?”

Twilight snorted at Rainbow's confusion, then said, “I asked, what are you planning on doing on Hearth's Warming Eve? That is just two weeks away, after all.”

“Honestly? I have no idea. I haven't done much for Hearth's Warming since...well, ever. And no, I'm not counting the past few years, when we preformed the play at Canterlot.”

Twilight thought for a minute, then mused, “Yeah, Princess Celestia has said that other ponies want to perform in Canterlot. That's why we are not performing this year.” While she said this, Twilight thought over what Rainbow Dash had said. Something was not quite right about, it seemed. With a jolt, she landed on what must be the truth.

“Hey, Dash? What did you mean by you have not anything for Hearth's Warming?”

Dash responded in a slightly guarded tone, “Exactly what I said. I haven't really celebrated the holiday, aside from the pageants, of course.”

Twilight paused, still confused. “Surely when you were a filly...” She stopped speaking when she glanced over at Dash. Her face was dark, and the muscles in her neck pulsed as they clenched and unclenched rapidly. “Dash? Is something wrong?”

After a moment, Rainbow Dash relaxed slightly and said, “No, nothing is wrong. Let's just not discuss my family.”

“But-”

Dash held up a hoof, cutting Twilight off. “Not here, and not now. Maybe later.”

Rainbow could see that Twilight wanted to press for information, but she did not. “As you wish,” she said, looking away.

Now Rainbow Dash felt bad. She felt that she had snapped too quickly and too harshly against Twilight. “Hey, Twilight,” she said. Twilight looked at her again. “I'll sorry, okay? It's just...well, I had a pretty crappy foalhood.”

Twilight nodded, and responded, “Alright. Apology accepted. Even though I was the one in the wrong.”

They flew in silence for a long moment. Finally, Twilight broke it by saying, “Well, maybe, maybe I could get the rest of the gang to do something on Hearth's Warming Eve. Would that be nice?”

“Sure! I'll go for that.”

“Well, it's decided, then. I'll tell you the details later, when I plan it out."

“Alright! I guess I will see you later, then.” With that, Dash turned and flew away, towards her house.

“Bye, Dashie!”

Don't call me DASHIE!” came the answering yell.


Dash flew into her house, excited in spite of herself. What she told Twilight was true, Rainbow Dash had never really done much for Hearth's Warming Eve. And back in her early years...well, let's not talk out that yet.

Dash plodded down on the sofa in the room and closed her eyes. She would never admit it, but her job had left her exhausted. Well, no break is coming. Winter weather is about to start. I don't know why the leaders decided to hold off this late. Probably just forgot. Her mind started to cloud as sleep drifted over. Almost on their own, her eyes drifted closed and she started to snore.

Knock, knock, knock.

Rainbow forced her eyes open, moaning to herself. It had been only an hour since she fell asleep.

“Who is it?” she yelled.

“Twilight!” came the call. For a moment, Rainbow was tempted to not open the door and instead let Twilight stay out there. However, she soon realized what she was thinking and shook herself. Where did that thought come from? she thought as she trotted over to the door. Opening it, she saw Twilight waiting to be allowed to enter.

“Did you teleport or fly here?” Dash asked the Alicorn.

“I teleported,” she responded. When Dash gave her a look, she said, “What? I was tired and didn't want to risk an accident.”

Dash shook her head, but stepped aside and let Twilight Sparkle enter. “Why did you come?” she asked.

Twilight shifted uncomfortably and said, “I...I don't know. I just felt drawn to this place. I'm sorry, I have no better explanation.”

“Whatever. More importantly, does the Royal Guard know you are here? Because the last time you came here unannounced, they almost broke down my door.”

“Yeah, I did, not that they are happy about it. They wanted to escort me. I refused and ordered them to stay at the library.”

“Bet they hated that.”

“You could say that. The sergeant even tried to stop me. It ended...rather humorously.”

Dash facehoofed. “What did you do to him?”

“Oh, nothing that bad. He won't able to fly after me without crashing into everything on the way over, though. The spell should wear off by morning.”

“Wait, whoa. Do you mean you cursed a sergeant of the Royal Guard???”

“Maybe.”

“Twilight, what happened to you? You used to be such a goody-two-shoes.”

“I believe that I spent too much time around you.”

Rainbow Dash chuckled at that, then said, “Maybe that's right. Anyways, I think that I should get the fire going again, I think it went out.”

“Okay.”

She did so, and then Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle resumed the seats they had the night before: Resting comfortably on the couch, swapping stories. Finally, after an amusing story about Twilight as a filly, she finally asked “So, Dash?”

“Mmmh?”

“What is the story of your family?”

Suddenly, Rainbow's expression took on a hard edge. The limbs that leaned against Twilight hardened as muscles clenched. “I thought I made it clear,” she said slowly, “that I did not want to talk about that.”

“Come on, I want to know. Tell me.” No sooner than the words where out of her mouth did Twilight regret them.

“...I think I should go to bed now. Please, leave, Twilight.” Rainbow Dash's voice was as cold as ice, and as unforgiving as steel.

“But, Dash-”

“I don't want to hear it. Leave now, Princess Twilight, before I do something I regret."

Twilight searched Rainbow's face, looking for some hint of forgiveness. She found none, just a stiff expression that might as well been made of stone, for all the change it displayed.

Seeing no option and no way to redeem herself, Twilight slowly got up and left the house, closing the door gently behind her. As it closed, she could of sworn that she heard a choked sob.

Author's Note:

Hey everypony,

Happy Hearth's Warming! I am very sorry about the lack of updates. Between finals, Boy Scouts, and a massive case of writer's block, this chapter took FOREVER to write. Hopefully you enjoy!