• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 22,660 Views, 258 Comments

A Selection of Sappy, Sweet, and Sometimes Somber Short Stories and Snapshots - Baby Seal Burritos



Shipping stories featuring Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie

  • ...
10
 258
 22,660

Mix and Match

“We are not naming our child Custard Clove.”

“Why are you being such a grumpy face about all my suggestions?”

“Because all your suggestions are terrible!”

Pinkie Pie gasped. She narrowed her eyes and jutted out her lower lip in an angry pout that somehow was more adorable than intimidating. “Yours haven’t been any better! ‘Moonlit Night’? Really?” She blew a raspberry.

Twilight Sparkle felt her teeth grinding together. Pinkie was being incredibly adamant about her suggestions, but the unicorn wasn’t really being too receptive either. The two of them had been arguing for the better part of an hour and had gone through at least half a dozen names each. Finally, they had reached a stalemate, and neither mare was going to budge.

Twilight huffed. “Custard Clove is probably your worst suggestion thus far. At least Gumdrop Dreams had some kind of meaning behind it. Custard Clove is just alliterative nonsense!”

Pinkie rolled her eyes. “As if you never suggested anything nonsensical! Evening Eclipse? Remember that one?”

To be fair, that had been a rather silly suggestion on her part, but Twilight wasn’t about to concede the point.

“Éclair Flair.”

“Sunset Beaches.”

“Corncake Daydream.”

“Darkest Night.”

Twilight groaned and flopped down in the chair next to Pinkie’s hospital bed. “Okay. Okay. We’re both pretty bad at this naming business. Fine. Happy?”

Pinkie continued to frown for a few seconds before releasing the expression with a sigh. She reached over and patted Twilight gently on the head. “No. Are you?”

Twilight chuckled. “Absolutely not.”

Pinkie scooched herself a bit closer to the edge of the bed and grabbed Twilight’s hoof in her own. “Maybe we should take a break?”

“Maybe you’re right.” Twilight stroked Pinkie’s forearm absentmindedly. “It’s just really important that our child, our firstborn at that, is given a good, strong name. You know what I mean?”

Pinkie thought for a moment. “I think so. I just think it’s important that it’s something fun. Nothing too stuck up and snooty.”

“I can understand that.” Twilight smirked. “But I think it’s imperative that the name is not too silly that it’s hard for them to be taken seriously.”

Pinkie tapped her chin. “Hmm. So fun, but serious?”

Twilight laughed. “Like me? Hmm?”

“More fun than you.”

“More serious than you.”

The two mares exchanged sharp glances for long moments before breaking down into laughter.

Twilight took a deep breath to still her giggles. “I suppose that’s a valid point.”

Pinkie smiled, just a little smile that turned up the corners of her mouth and crinkled the corners of her eyes. “Well, the new pony is a mix of me and you isn’t it? So maybe the name should be a mix of me and you too.”

Twilight leaned over to nuzzle Pinkie’s cheek. “You’re right. I think we’ve been approaching this a bit too selfishly.”

Pinkie rubbed a hoof over her now substantial stomach. “Maybe I kinda thought that I had dibs on the name because the foal’s in my tummy.”

“Womb. It’s not actually your…” Twilight shook her head. “Never mind. I-”

Pinkie cut her off with a hoof to the mouth. “But you know what? We did this together! So we should name them together too!”

Twilight planted a kiss on Pinkie’s nose. “Are you sure? I mean, I guess it’d make sense if you got to name them because you were carrying. I could just name the next one after I carried them?”

Pinkie laughed. “But we’re both terrible at names remember? We’d have a bunch of foals with silly names!”

“I guess you’re right.”

“So maybe when we put our heads together,” Pinkie said with a wink, “we can come up with something amazing! We always do.”

Twilight chewed her lower lip in thought. “I would like to have a nighttime or starry motif. My family has been naming foals like that for generations.”

“What about Shining Armor? That’s not nighty or starry.”

Twilight waved a dismissive hoof. “The shining part counts because stars shine. It’s a lot of semantics and justifications…” She trailed off.

Pinkie decided not to pursue it. “I want food.”

“Oh. Are you hungry?” Twilight reached for the nurse’s call button.

Pinkie shook her head. “No! I want the name to have something to do with food!”

“I see.” Twilight tilted her head. “Is that something your family does?”

“Nah.” Pinkie giggled. “I just like it. Plus, you’re “Twilight” and I’m “Pie” and we’re a nighttime food couple!”

“Nighttime food…” Twilight tapped her hoof on the siding of the bed. “You mean… kind of like a midnight snack?”

Pinkie squealed in delight. “That’s it! That’s so super cute, Twilight!”

Twilight cocked an eyebrow. “Really? You like it?”

Pinkie reached out and gestured for Twilight to hug her. The unicorn obliged happily.

“Like it? I love it! Midnight Snack is the perfect name for our little mixed up pony!”

Twilight snuggled her face into Pinkie’s mane and breathed a happy sigh. “Yeah. It’s not bad. Not bad at all.”


---Author's Note---
This was a story written for Thirty Minute Ponies for the prompt, "Two pony parents discuss what to name their foal." Hope you enjoyed. :)

Comments ( 20 )

Great, now I'm hungry...

Hope you're happy.

You do realize that you mentioned Twilight's brother in the fic right?

That is very cute :twilightsmile:

Don't do it... Don't do it...
Pinkie and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, it's Pinkie and the Brain!

295165 I must read these rhyme stories.

I know this is kind of terrible but, uh... someone needs to make a fic about Midnight Snack getting eaten. At midnight.

I love these so much :twilightsmile:

Ah I was hoping for moon pie

841355 Well, unless it's a filly. Then she could get eaten -out- at midnight.


Anywho. I'm loving all these ficlets. They're great little treats for the mind. And your characterization is at least pretty accurate (I'm sure someone's going to come up with a way it's not perfect) and, equally importantly, very pleasing.

Keep writing. :twilightsmile:

Dear BSB, Event tough, I'm not to fond of shipping, and specially shipping among the mane 6. I must say that your little ficlets brought a smile to my face and warmth to my :heart:.
TwiPie is a beautiful balanced ship and you make it true with careful wordsmithing and talented writing.

The sonnet, the poems, the alliterations, the dialogues, were all perfectly characterized and believable. I say good work, and keep at them, do add some other short stories and pieces like this, please.

Also Midnight Snack is best food.

:heart::pinkiesmile::twilightblush::heart:

Darling that was a wonderful little piece, so cute it was beautiful. :raritystarry: I would like to hear how pinkie got impregnated, the two of them being mares and such.

841222
I am aware of this fact. Is that a problem?
841752
At the risk of being too explicit in the comment section, let's just say that there are spells that make things not only plausible but also quite easy, especially for a unicorn of Twilight's skill. :pinkiesmile:
841791
Am not and you can't prove it. :ajsmug:
842157
Pinkie Pie dictates that Twilight is best pony, so therefore Twilight is best pony.

The entire thing is adorable, start to finish, but this was my fave section:

Pinkie tapped her chin. “Hmm. So fun, but serious?”

Twilight laughed. “Like me? Hmm?”

“More fun than you.”

“More serious than you.”

The two mares exchanged sharp glances for long moments before breaking down into laughter.

Just feels like a couple who've been married a few years and have had this playful fight enough times that it's almost rote by now. But they still speak their parts, anyway, just for the familiarity and tradition of it. They just feel very real here, I think. I like it. (Also, mad props for "“Because all your suggestions are terrible!” That too feels very "couple who've been married at least a few years.":twilightsmile:)

Awww. That was adorable. Short, sweet and full of Pinkieness. Good times as ever.

That was actually pretty awesome, haha. Midnight Snack.

“More fun than you.”
“More serious than you.”

I loved that part. It just yelled TwiPie to the four winds. Midnight Snack... Oh boy, the amount of puns. It's too much.

841355If he/she inherits Pinkie's cotton candy hair that may be very plausible

Midnight Snack is best pony.

944532
Nothing! Nothing at all. :scootangel:

PinkieDash is a great ship; it was my first pony ship and still holds a special place in my heart. I understand your feelings.

Login or register to comment