• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 22,654 Views, 258 Comments

A Selection of Sappy, Sweet, and Sometimes Somber Short Stories and Snapshots - Baby Seal Burritos



Shipping stories featuring Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie

  • ...
10
 258
 22,654

Spectacles

Pinkie Pie had an itty bitty, tweeny weeny, smally wally crush on Twilight Sparkle. Just a little one. It was so little that she didn’t even think that it needed to be talked about. There were so many other waaaaaaay more interesting things to talk about like party poppers, soda fountains, and that pony that makes a living jumping out of cakes. How did a pony go about getting a job like that? I mean, come on, that pony’s living the dream!

Yup! Pinkie’s crush wasn’t something to talk about at all. She didn’t talk about the smaller pony’s super adorable smile or her silky smooth mane that smelled like lilac or even her amazingly bea-you-tiful purple eyes! Nope. Not a word from Pinkie Pie, Master Secret Keeper. If she had a second cutie mark her other cutie mark would be something to do with how good at keeping secrets she was. Maybe a pair of lips behind a hoof or a key buried under a house that was occupied by a little blue pegasus who liked to make horseshoes. But that didn’t make any sense! Why would a pegasus live on the ground? Oh! Duh. Fluttershy lived on the ground didn’t she? And that made a whole lot of sense! She felt a little silly for judging the life choices of the poor blue pegasus that she’d just made up as an example.

She rolled her eyes and giggled to herself. Silly Pinkie! Getting so far off track that she had completely forgotten what she was supposed to be doing. She jutted out her lower lip and tapped her chin with a hoof. Let’s see. She was thinking about her second cutie mark because she’s so good at keeping secrets like her tiny crush on Twilight…

Her eyes lit up and she shouted, “Eureka! I’ve got it!”

Her cry startled a pair of ponies that had been passing her in the street.

The colt shook his head with a snort and muttered to his friend, “Crazy mare! This town’s full of em.”

But Pinkie ignored him because she had something way more important to remember: where she was going! She made a show of pointing herself towards her destination and coiling her legs beneath her before springing off down the road. She hummed to herself as she hopped, hearing the words to her little tune tumbling through her head:

Library! Library! Heading to the library! Take a look there’s lots of books; stop and stare at the head mare; and soon you’ll see she’s kissing me…

Pinkie almost stumbled as she realized what she was thinking.

Nope nope nope! Pinkie, get ahold of yourself, silly filly! Think of something else!

For some odd reason the image of a pear flashed across her mind and she was just desperate enough to grab that fleeting thought for all she was worth. Pears weren’t even in season yet, and besides pears were the natural enemy of apples. So why would she ever eat a pear when it would just destroy Applejack? She had enjoyed them when she had been a teeny tiny twinkie Pinkie though. They had been her favorite fruit, a fact that she would never ever admit to Applejack in a million billion years! She would hate for Applejack to know her deepest darkest secret. But wait, her fondness for pears wasn’t her deepest darkest secret.

She was coming incredibly close to dangerous thinking territory, but luckily for her she had reached the library, a great place to stop thinking all together!

She burst in through the front door with a wild blat of fanfare and some spontaneous confetti, “Heya Twilight!”

A muffled voice from above shouted down, “Be right with you!” The sound of items falling and things crashing onto the ground immediately followed. Muttered curses and thuds against furniture echoed around the vacant library. The door to the inner portion of the library flew open, and the lavender unicorn trotted out rubbing her head and muttering unintelligibly to herself.

“Just a moment, Pinkie, I’m coming.”

Pinkie closed her eyes to grin her biggest and most happy smile just for Twilight. “Okie dokie!”

When she opened them again her heart nearly stopped beating altogether! Which is a rather silly thing for a heart to do considering the thing was supposed to beat a nice little rhythm that she could dance through life to, and when it got all quiet and shy she wasn’t really sure of the beat and the steps got all sloppy.

But the real question at hoof was why? Why did her heart go from a professional grade performance to the skill of a schoolfilly who fell face first into the orchestra pit?

Well, Pinkie had opened her eyes, pretty content in the knowledge that she had managed to fill her quota for “smiling at Twilight”-- which was a completely innocent gesture devoid of any ulterior, romantic motives at all—and had been met face first with a Twilight she was not familiar with. This Twilight had all the things necessary to be classified as a Level One Twilight: smooth light purple fur, silky tricolored mane, cute little rump… cutie mark! She meant cutie mark! Same amazing amethyst eyes, but here was where the difference could be found; this was what sounded the alarm and made Pinkie’s heart thud out of sync.

Twilight’s eyes were framed by large, round, wire-rimmed spectacles.

Thud thud thud. Rattatatat.

Twilight seemed a tad too distracted to notice that Pinkie was likewise distracted for reasons that were not even remotely likely to be the same.

Twilight wore a slightly strained smile. “What can I do for you Pinkie? I’m sorry, but I’m a tad busy at the moment with a large order from Canterlot. I don’t know why they don’t have some of these volumes in their much more extensive libraries, but it still stands that they are in need.” She chuckled a bit nervously as she took notice of Pinkie’s wide-eyed stare. “Is something the matter?”

Pinkie’s brain also seemed to be a bit sleepy all the sudden, and her mouth was being equally silly. So while she wanted to calmly state that Twilight had become bespectacled what came out instead was, “Glasses!”

Twilight blinked. “Why yes. I am wearing glasses today.” When Pinkie didn’t choose to elaborate, Twilight offered, “I accidentally stepped on a contact yesterday, and my new ones don’t arrive until next week.”

Pinkie’s mouth moved on its own, an annoying habit Pinkie did not appreciate, “You wear contacts?”

“Yes,” Twilight furrowed her brow. “I never told you that?”

“No!” Oh boy. Pinkie felt the floodgates open, and there was nothing she could do to stop the oncoming deluge. “You never told me because if you had told me I would have remembered because this isn’t the sort of thing Pinkie Pie forgets. I mean, come on, it’s glasses! Glasses! You wear glasses, Twi, and it doesn't seem very fair. Not fair at all for the rest of us! How could you be so-!” Pinkie barely managed to choke off the next portion. The part where she explained just why it wasn’t so fair. Dangerous territory. Dangerous territory. Abort! Abort!

“What?” Twilight had that look again. That look that Pinkie was so familiar with: utter confusion, completely baffled, Pinkie-Pie-has-lost-it face. “How is it unfair to you that I need corrective lenses to see properly?”

Gah! Foiled again! Twilight was too perceptive for her own good. One of these days it’s going to land her in a mess of trouble; she’ll be the mare who knew too much, and Pinkie will have to play the piano and sing a heartbreaking song to signal to their foalnapped colt that they’re looking for him, and… Pinkie felt herself flush and shook her head in an attempt to dislodge the dangerous thoughts. Nope nope nope. She was not imagining what their foals would look like. Oh sweet Celestia, please. She wasn’t thinking up names. Luna help her, the thoughts were coming much too strong. And there wasn’t a single pear to help her.

Twilight’s look of confusion slipped into concern. “Are you alright, Pinkie? You kind of look like you’re in pain.”

She was in pain! Deep searing pain! Her heart was beating much too fast now and had somehow found a cymbal that crashed every so often in painful hitches. Twilight was… she was just so… How could Pinkie stand to stay quiet? The little blue pegasus in her second cutie mark would be so disappointed, but she just couldn’t…

“AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!” Twilight jolted backwards as Pinkie let loose an agitated scream.

“I can’t do it! I can’t stand it! No more! Make it stop!” Pinkie fell to the floor and sobbed.

“What!” Twilight panicked. “What’s wrong? Make what stop? What’s going on?”

Pinkie covered her eyes with a moan. “I can’t take it.”

Twilight leaned down to bring her face next to Pinkie’s gently removing the earth pony’s hooves from her eyes and giving her a nice close up of the lenses that seemed to make her gorgeous eyes even bigger. “What’s wrong? I want to help.”

Pinkie’s heart did a fancy drum roll, slamming into the cymbal a few times for good measure.

The words came out in a subdued whisper, “Your glasses. It’s unfair.”

Twilight nodded slowly, “Okay. And…?”

Tears welled up in Pinkie’s eyes. “They make you too cute to handle.”

Silence. Even Pinkie’s crazed heart seemed to calm down just for an instant before picking up tempo again and with increased gusto. Whoops. She’d passed the point of no return. Dangerous territory. Twilight stared at her with confusion, but what else was new? Just Pinkie being Pinkie.

But maybe she was imagining things, or else Twilight’s cheeks seemed a bit redder than normal. Could it be? Was it possible? Was now Pinkie’s moment? Take the reins, Pinkie! Seize the day! Carp Dijon!

Pinkie took a deep breath. “Because normally you’re just super-cute—a cuteness factor of nine with an adorableness boost of fifteen—and then you’re super smart which rounds it out to a solid thirty-eight. But with the glasses you shoot right up into the fifties, and I just don’t know any pony who’s ever made it all the way up there! I didn’t even really know that there was a level above forty-six! And yet here you are: a perfect fifty-seven. What’s the deal with that?”

“You think I’m cute?” Twilight seemed uncharacteristically at a loss for words.

Pinkie nodded enthusiastically. “Not just cute: the cutest!”

“The cutest?” Twilight inquired, genuinely curious.

“Yup! The absolute cutest, most amazingest pony I know! And I know everypony!”

Twilight’s blush deepened, and Pinkie smiled sheepishly.

“The cutest.” This time it was more a statement than a question. Her frames had slid down the bridge of her nose, and she pushed them back into place absentmindedly.

Pinkie’s heart did a stage dive.

Twilight tapped the ground with a hoof a few times, scrunched her eyebrows together in thought, and chewed on her lip.

Pinkie felt like if Twilight got any cuter her heart would burst out of her chest and go on tour across Equestria.

Finally, determination flashed in Twilight’s eyes and she stated, albeit a tad mechanically as if she was reading from a script, “Impossible. There is a pony who ranks higher than I do on that scale of yours.”

Pinkie had to try really hard to suppress the monster of a grin that threatened to split her face in two. It was fairly predictable, but Pinkie had to allow Twilight to finish the exchange that she had obviously thought very hard about.

With as much innocence as she could muster, Pinkie replied, “Oh? Who would that be?”

“Why you of course.”

Pinkie squealed and launched herself at Twilight in the beariest bear hug she could muster; she rubbed her cheek furiously against Twilight’s, still unable to speak for the sounds of pure joy that escaped from her muzzle. Sure she had seen it coming a mile away, but that didn’t make it any less super-amazing-awesome.

After the most intense snuggling session Pinkie could ever remember happening in the history of Equestria, Pinkie gazed lovingly into Twilight’s bespectacled eyes and Twilight gazed right back into hers.

To Pinkie’s surprise, Twilight was the one who leaned forward and gently brushed her lips against the party pony’s. Pinkie took a few short moments to allow the heat to travel up her cheeks and ears, getting over the initial shock of getting what she wanted without asking, and then she leaned into the kiss and returned Twilight’s passion ten-fold.

As intense as their snuggling had been, Pinkie was happy to note that their kissing was even more so. Twilight pushed her over onto her back and straddled the pink pony, locking muzzles again, only letting go for brief moments so they could breathe. But Pinkie wasn’t going to take it all lying down! No sir! She grabbed Twilight around the neck, and rolled her over so that Twilight was the one on the ground and Pinkie was the pony on top. Pinkie giggled in triumph, and Twilight nuzzled her softly, lulling her into a false sense of security so she could overthrow her once more.

The pair rolled around the floor of the library, giggling and squealing, as they devolved into tickling and playfully nipping each other. They rolled into to a bookshelf and books jolted out of place, almost burying the two ponies. They would have had some bruises for sure if Twilight hadn’t zapped the books with her unicorn magic and set them back on the shelves. The two ponies looked at each other for a moment before bursting out into laughter.

Pinkie moved to wipe a tear from her eye, but stopped with a jolt. “Oh No!” Pinkie began running her hooves over the floor of the library, searching the floorboards for one teeny tiny something that she kinda sorta needed.

Twilight took a deep breath. “What? What happened?”

Pinkie gave Twilight her most sorrowful look. “I’ve lost one of my contacts!”

Twilight couldn’t help but perk an eyebrow. “You wear them too?”

“Uh huh.” Pinkie slumped to the floor with an exaggerated moan. “But I can’t find it!”

Twilight stood to her hooves and walked over to nuzzle Pinkie’s cheek. Twilight froze still as a statue for a moment before a cheeky little grin stretched across her cheeks.

Pinkie noticed, and opened her mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Twilight who spoke in a voice low and sugary sweet, “So I guess this means somepony else going to be wearing glasses too?”

Pinkie was for once at a complete loss. She stammered, “Uh... I uh... Um...” But she couldn’t think of very much except the fact that Twilight was somehow channeling a sultry expression through lowered eyebrows and the tiniest smile that Pinkie had never really thought Twilight was capable of. Really, that just wasn’t very fair either. Twilight tipped her head slightly, allowing her glasses to slip down just enough for her to peer at Pinkie over the rims.

But.

Oh.

Um.

Well.

Pinkie finally managed to squeak, “... yes.”


--Author's Note--

Dedicated to Krizak who asked for it and helped edit it into something the public could see.