• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 805 Views, 11 Comments

Eyes on the Road - Art Inspired



Two mares race for the one thing they've been training for: to become an honored member of the legendary Wonderbolts. Only one will win.

  • ...
5
 11
 805

Epilogue

With waves of brightly colored, orange water crashing up against the poles that sustained the dock, Lightning Dust watched the sun settling slowly further down towards the golden edge way off. The last time she saw such a marvel was months ago, when she had to deliver some cargo to Shady Shores, just beyond a small town called Ponyville.

“Heh… That’s Rainbow’s home, if I’m remembering correctly.”

She looked behind her, at the stadium built just beyond the hills, and wondered where Rainbow was. After they announced the winner, the usual ceremony commenced, and then, Lightning Dust left. What was taking Rainbow Dash so long?

“She’s probably just catching up with her friends is all… She wouldn’t stand me up.”

Lightning Dust skimmed her hoof along the crookedly placed boards, and sighed. No matter how long she had to wait, Lightning promised Rainbow during the party she’d be there. Like she figured, Rainbow was simply running a bit late.

A few more minutes later, Lighting kept on watching that beautiful sunset, hardly able to take her eyes off it. “I wonder if Rainbow occasionally does this.”

A voice from behind her admitted, “More than you’d think.”

Lightning quickly turned around. There she was. Rainbow Dash, her most challenging obstacle in the whole race. “You came!”

“Of course,” Rainbow said, smiling. “I told you to wait. Sorry it took me so long, but Pinkie Pie wouldn't let me out!”

Lightning Dust laughed, hiding some blush that started forming around her cheeks. “Spitfire was pretty mad at me for walking out, too. I figured she would understand, though. I told her where she could find me, and you, too.”

Rainbow nodded. “That’s fine. Race’s over, so there’s no secret to hide, really. Look, I called you here to say… I’m sorry for what I said back there.”

Lightning Dust refused to forgive her just yet. “What’re you talking about? I’m the one who should be sorry! I've been thinking a lot about this lately, about how devastated I would be if those were my friends. Even though it happened so long ago, it feels like with every day gone by, I develop more guilt because I know it’s my fault.” She placed a hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder, and said again, “I’m the one who should be apologizing right now. You had every right to be mad at me.”

Rainbow reacted calmly, holding onto the hoof that rested on her shoulder. “You’re forgiven, but I still need the same accommodations. I’m sorry for yelling at you, and I don’t care if you see that as right or wrong. I still regret acting the way I did.”

Lightning pulled her new friend in close, tugging on her other shoulder, and nodded. “I’ll look the other way this time.”

The sun completely descended with a new, promising relationship being born that evening. For another minute or two, Rainbow didn't fight Lightning Dust’s firm hug. If anything, she needed it all the same. “I guess,” Rainbow said, “we should hurry back. I think people are happy with the victor, don’t you?”

“Agreed, but, we've gotta stay in touch. You either have to come down my way, or I’ll visit you.”

Hoof bumping to seal the deal, Rainbow smirked. “It’s a promise!”

Comments ( 7 )

All at once?

Hm. Seems to be a theme lately.

~Skeeter The Lurker

This is going to be quite the interesting story. Especially considering it has my four favorite characters in it. Can't wait to give this a read.

~SolidFire

So did Rainbow win? Or not? Either way even though I'm trying to place who won this was such an amazing read I really enjoyed it

4084426 The winner never mattered, actually.:twilightblush: You can decide for yourself.:twilightsmile:

4085797 oh ok that means Rd totally won(for me ) lol :rainbowlaugh:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

The winner wouldn't have mattered if less attention had been given to the race. I was very unsatisfied by this story. :/

4085797
I think im gonna say it was a TRUE tie

Login or register to comment