• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 4,474 Views, 37 Comments

Skyhunter - Ianpiersonjdavis



An alternate ending to the episode ‘Wonderbolts Academy’ where things play out differently between as an intense confrontation develops between the three greatest fliers to ever come out of Cloudsdale.

  • ...
2
 37
 4,474

Chapter 1

“NOOOOO!” Rainbow Dash screamed in horror as she witnessed the hot air balloon’s ropes snap, severing the basket and sending her friends plummeting to the ground below.


Her body was moving on autopilot as she dove towards one of the clouds below until she found one big enough to support all of them.


When she spotted it, she slammed against it with her elbow as she flew around it at top speed, forcing her wings to flap faster and harder despite her body’s protests desperate to prevent them from splattering to the ground due to her stupid recklessness.


Lightning had been quite proud of the tornado they had created to break the academy’s cloud-busting record, but she froze in horror the moment she saw those ropes snap.


She had no idea where those ponies had came from or why they thought it would be smart to interrupt an academy full of Pegasi that frequently practiced dangerous aerial stunts.


But there was one thing she did know-no record was worth risking the lives of others-seeing Dash spring into action was what snapped her back to reality.


Realizing what Dash was trying to do she wanted to help, but knew that another Pegasus would only get in the way.


Luckily, she was Lead Pony of the best team for the Junior Wonderbolts and that essentially made her Captain.


She turned to the other Pegasi who were frozen at horror at the nightmare that was unfolding before them.


Thunderlane, Rain Drops, Snowflake, Cloudchaser, and the other ponies whose names she couldn’t remember were closest.


“Alright,” she managed to choke out in as authoritative tone as she could muster given the stressful circumstance. “Once Dash finishes pressuring that cloud, those ponies are going to bounce off and they’ll need someone to catch them!”


They all took off immediately as Lightning felt a small sense of relief that they were actually listening to her, but just as quickly began to regret the way that she had been treating them and the things she had said behind their backs.


At this point Dash was circulating the cloud leaving a rainbow trail behind her as its sides were being squeezed into its center, causing the top and bottom of the nimbus to bulge considerable as if it were wearing some form of prismatic girdle.


This was a thought that Lightning would have found humorous under any other circumstance.


Just as she had predicted, the five ponies landed on top of the cloud before it bounced them back up into the sky like a gigantic spring where they were caught by their classmates.


Except for Snowflake, who appeared to have caught some sort of brown bag?


Well, whatever it was-it didn’t matter-these ponies were safe and that meant Lightning wouldn’t have to carry the guilt of their deaths on her conscience for the rest of her life.


Their classmates were fortunately able to fly the ponies safely back onto the runway as Rainbow Dash flew towards them.


“Are you guys okay?” she asked worriedly.


“Uh-huh.” The strange new ponies all replied in unison as Dash flew in to hug them collectively.


Wait, did she know these ponies?


The pink one with the poofy mane was lying on the ground, seemingly unconscious.


“PINKIE PIE!” Dash exclaimed her voice heavy with concern as the pony’s ears perked up and her lips quivered into a smile as her eyes began to water before jumping on Dash and hugging her neck.


“YOU REMEMBER ME!” She exclaimed happily.


“Well…yeah, of course I remember you.” Dash replied genuinely confused before turning back to face the others.


“What are you guys doing here?”


“We wanted to bring ya a care package.” The orange one responded as the group cantered over to her.


“We didn’t realize you’d be in the middle of some crazy tornado drill.”


Lightning pushed her way through the crowed as she felt her throat and chest tighten, these were ponies Dash knew and cared about and because of the stunt they pulled due to her insistence she had almost lost them forever.


“Oh my gosh!” she exclaimed worriedly. “Are you guys okay?”


“Yeah, we’re fine…” The purple one replied shakily.


“Wait, what do you care?” Dash challenged crossing her arms and glaring at her.


“Creating that stupid tornado to bust more clouds than anyone else was all your idea!”


This made Lightning wince-she knew she deserved that.


“WHAT THE HAY IS GOING ON HERE?” a familiar authoritative female voice demanded.


Everyone else made way as Spitfire trotted onto the scene.


“There my friends ma’am,” Dash began. “They just came to-”


“That was a rhetorical question, newbie.” Spitfire replied curtly. “I’ve been a Wonderbolt long enough to recognize the damage cause by an F5 tornado when I see it-what I mean is, why was there a tornado here in the first place when today’s weather schedule is supposed to have light cloud cover at the most?”


If looks could kill, the glare the Dash shot Lightning would have caused all of her vital functions to cease instantly.


“You two, my office-now.” She ordered.


---


The trip to Spitfire’s office had been relatively uneventful with the exception of Dash occasionally shooting Lightning a death glare whenever she dared to look over, causing her to try and avert her gaze from Rainbow entirely.


The silence was also a real killer as they walked through the halls, the only sound came from the echo of the trio’s hooves clip-clopping down the tiled floor of the academy’s halls.


Lightning’s anxiety increased with the knowledge of how badly she had screwed up, she had pressured her Wingpony into helping her perform a dangerous and possibly fatal stunt, which neither of them could control, almost killed five innocent ponies as a result, and now both her partner and fillyhood idol hated her.


When they finally reached Spitfire’s office she merely pushed the door open, in contrast to the way she usually had to unlock it in the mornings Lightning had seen her when she got up to begin training before anybody else.


Obviously, she was in a rush once she noticed all the commotion and either didn’t think she had the time or didn’t remember to lock up properly.

Lightning felt like she was a little filly again after being sent to the principal’s office in flight school for her ‘attitude problem’.


The major difference being she didn’t care about normal school, nor did she care about being there in the first place.


Getting this close to the Wonderbolts, however was something she felt her entire life had been leading up to and without the chance to join them her life would lose all meaning.


Spitfire’s office felt a lot like a principle’s, albeit much more militaristic with posters, awards, as well as piles both group and solo autographed photos with her signature and hoof print.


Moving behind her desk, she placed her elbows on it, pressing her hooves together as she glared at Lightning and Dash over her sunglasses.


“It was very lucky that nobody got hurt today.” She began. “But, that doesn’t excuse the fact that there could have been severe collateral damage and I fully intend to punish whoever’s responsible.”


Lightning sighed, she knew that Dash would more that likely sell her out regardless of loyalty due to her actions-and she couldn’t blame her one bit for it.


The best thing she could due to maintain some shred of honor and respect in the eyes of the Wonderbolts would be to take the high road and own up to it.


It was actually pretty ironic, ever since she could remember she knew that the Wonderbolts accepted nothing less than the very best athletes and Pegasi in Equestria into their ranks.


With this knowledge, she had always pushed herself to the limits of her abilities-and even beyond on a few occasions, but never once did she stop and thing about the consequences or her actions-at least, not until today.


“It…was me, ma’am.” Lightning replied bashfully as she stepped forward. “The tornado was my idea.”

Although she couldn’t see it, Dash’s glare changed to a look at shock at hearing these words.


“I wanted to prove that you made the right choice in making me lead pony and thought that if I did something that would completely leave everyone else in the dust, you might see me as having enough potential to ask me to join you and the other Wonderbolts.” She explained.


“I don’t care how talented you are Lightning, a single Pegasus can’t create a tornado of that size or power without help of some kind.” Spitfire replied, raising a skeptical eyebrow.


Lightning lowered her head in shame.


“I…talked Dash into it.” She admitted. “I don’t think she even wanted to do it, since she pointed out that we were already way ahead of the others…but, I kept pushing her to try and help since you made me Lead Pony for pushing myself so hard.”


Never averting her gaze, Spitfire took off her sunglasses before folding them and placing them on her desk.


“Well, as ‘noble’ as you’re intentions may have been this is not the type of behavior neither I nor the Wonderbolts are willing to tolerate, let alone support.” Lightning’s ears flattened against her skull at Spitfire’s words.


“I want you to turn in your badge, pack your things and get out of my academy within the next twenty-four hours, if you are have not vacated the premises by then-we will remove you by force.”


Lightning’s eyes began to water and she fought back the urge to burst into tears in front of her idol and former Wingpony as her dreams shattered and her heart broke, while she ripped the badge from her uniform and shakily placed it upon Spitfire’s desk.


She then quickly turned around to leave as tears began to stream down her cheeks, despite her best efforts to hold them back.

Dash couldn’t help but pity the other Pegasus as she watched her slowly walked out of the office.


In a lot of way she and Lightning were a lot alike; they were athletic, competitive, and becoming a Wonderbolt meant the world to them.


“Ma’am?” Dash ventured once she was certain that Lightning was out of earshot. “With all due respect, I think you’re being a little harsh.”


“What are you saying, newbie?” Spitfire asked, look of irritation faltering into one of confusion. “Wasn’t it your friends who almost got smashed to pieces as a result of her actions?”


“Well…yeah.” Dash conceded, scratching her mane nervously. “But, like Lightning pointed out it-she was only trying to push me and herself to be our very best-isn’t that why you promoted her to Lead Pony in the first place?”


It was now Spitfire that was shooting Rainbow Dash a death glare.


“What I mean is,” Dash continued quickly. “The whole reason I agreed to help Lightning create that tornado for cloud-busting was because when I asked you about why you promoted her over me the other day, you told me that it was because she liked to push herself more.”


“What’s your point?” Spitfire pressed, getting agitated.


She didn’t like having her authority challenged or being criticized, especially after she tried to help this mare get justice for the potential harm that could have afflicted her friends as a result of Lightning Dust’s actions.


“My point is that what you told me that day is the reason I decided to go along with Lightning’s plan, even though I knew it would be unfair to the others.” Dash explained.


“And after all that, don’t you think it’s a little hypocritical to punish Lightning like this without even giving her a warning or admitting that you may have been wrong.”


The two stared at each other for a while, neither of them daring to blink.


Before today, Rainbow Dash never would have believed that she would be capable of speaking to Spitfire, the Captain of the Wonderbolts and her fillyhood idol in such a tone.


Despite her actions, Lightning had been her partner and one thing Dash prided herself upon more than her athletic abilities was her strong sense of loyalty and given their similarities, she could have easily ended up just like her if it weren’t for her friends.


It surprised Dash when Spitfire leaned back with a smirk.


“Well, I have to admit that you have a lot more guts than the others have given your credit for; you really are the ‘Element of Loyalty’ and after saving our flanks back at the ‘Best Young Fliers’ competition in Cloudsdale two years ago, I guess I can justify re-instating Lightning.” She replied thoughtfully.


Spitfire leaned forward once more.


“On one condition...”


---


The next day, Dash fastened her new Lead Pony badge on her uniform before looking over at Lightning, who was wearing Dash’s old Wingpony badge.


“Are you sure you’re okay with this?”


“Yeah,” she replied. “After that awesome stunt you pulled and the way stood up from me after I acted like such a selfish jerk…you deserve to be Lead Pony, partner.”


She then looked at Dash again sadly.


“I’m so sorry about everything, I was completely out of control I…do you think you could ever forgive me?”


“Hey, don’t sweat it-partner.” Dash replied with a cocky grin as they shook wings.

Author's Note:

The original ending for 'Wonderbolts Academy' involved a character redemption for Lightning Dust, but was unfortunately cut from the episode due to time constraints.

About a week later, Meghan McCarthy posted the script for the original ending on Equestria Daily; Here.

(Personally I prefer that one to the ending we actually got.)

Comments ( 37 )

Oh YES! I wasn't particularly a big fan of the ending they put on the show. I really wish that they would have used the one that they deleted, because it showed more of the show's moral values and what-not.

~SolidFire

Just a few minor things:

Thunderlane, Rain Drops, Snowflake, Cloudchaser, and t other ponies whose names she couldn’t remember were closest.

T is supposed to be "the."

“On one condition,”

Instead of putting the comma put 3 dots. (...)

Overall, great story but it does lack detail in some areas. Like And Favorite.:raritywink:

>Lightning Dust

Take me away.

Huh. You know, it's a pretty common fanon that LD is Spitfire's daughter.

The original ending doesn't really say what happened to Lighting Dust, other she had to turn in her badge and being escorted away. I hope with the new season they will bring her back.

3241542
I have never heard a single word about that, and I'm everywhere. Care to point me in the right direction?

~SolidFire

3242282

Kay, I can't find the original post, but somebody looked at this image:
cdn.derpiboo.ru/media/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSJrMjAxMi8xMi8xNS8xNl80NV80Ml82MDNfMTgzMzYwX19VTk9QVF9fc2FmZV9zcGl0ZmlyZV9zcG9pbGVyX3MwM2UwN193b25kZXJib2x0c19hY2FkZW15X2xpZ2h0bmluZ19kdXN0BjoGRVQ/183360__safe_image-macro_text_spitfire_spoiler-s03e07_wonderbolts-academy_lightning-dust_fridge-horror.png
And they saw that Spitfire and LD's eyes were about the same color. Then they compared the manes, both slicked back and kind of orangey, and then they stuck LD next to Soarin and figured their coat colors were similar...

Basically, end result is Spitfire+Soarin=Lightning Dust.

3242317
I can definitely see the relations between them. But it is purely coincidence to me. Many characters share eye colors, and their coat colors are not too similar. Soarin is a rather light blue while Lightning Dust is an aquamarine. Then there's the undeniable fact that I don't really think Spitfire had a foal while at the age of 5 years old. :derpytongue2: But I would rather like that idea, just bring the doctor into it and it might work out better.

~SolidFire

3242375

Wait, how old do you think Spitfire and LD are? I always viewed Spitfire as being a lot older then Dash, and LD as being around her age.

Then again, ponies don't really show age that much.

3242387
My headcanon for the ages of the mane 6, and thus Lightning Dust, is about 21, give or take a year. I view Spitfire and Soarin as about 25 or 26 each. A blog post of a fellow Pegasus enthusiast gave me some very compelling information as to why they would be that age with their rankings. He shares many of my own beliefs about the Wonderbolts and some age stuff.
I think that Spitfire was the youngest ever Wonderbolt, and then she became the captain just a couple years later. If you want, I can give you a link to that blog.

~SolidFire

Bro I think i found you a new avatar!

dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw2467-131667034410-awesome.png

Nice read too btw, but I can't hit the like button twice

I like this version a lot better than the original, I really hated the ending of Wonderbolts' Academy, It made me move Spitfire up on the list of my least favourite ponies (along with Princess Celestia and Applejack). It felt that Spitfire was being a cowardly hypocrite and using Lightning as a scapegoat to cover her own ass. Rainbow Dash had already approached Spitfire about her concerns and Spitfire had already turned her away, telling her to follow Lightning's lead.
In addition, any military force worth it's salt would have punished both Rainbow and Lightning equally and together. But, alas the Wonderbolts are not a military force, they are a group of stunt flyers and how the public views them is worth everything.

I've always preferred the cut ending as well. Curse you, Pinkie Pie!

3242317
3242403
Oh boy, weird headcanons collide!

Masterweaver, one post somewhere doesn't make it "common fanon". Keep in mind that in the My Little Pony universe, color is extremely rarely an indicator of consanguinity, so it isn't reliable. Granted, I have had that thought once, but then I pushed it aside because it kept me from being able to ship those two.

:rainbowlaugh:

SolidFire, I think 21 is way too old for the main cast. Lauren Faust herself stated that "[t]he ponies' ages were left intentionally undefined. [She] likes to think of them as having maturity levels anywhere between 12 and 18 [...]."¹ I am aware that "maturity levels" doesn't mean much, but there's no doubt that 21 would make them all look extremely childish for their age. I also think Spitfire is about a good ten years older.

3246519

Touche. I've seen a couple of settings with it, though, the Reading Rainbowverse being an extremely tragic example. So... maybe not common, but established fanon? How do you rate fanon commonality?

3246546
I consider things "commonly fanon" or "established fanon" when most people begin to mistake canon with fanon (for example, Lightning Dust getting kicked out of the academy, as I addressed here). There's some things I've seen in multiple fan fictions, like Rarity being Sweetie Belle's mother, that I certainly wouldn't consider "commonly fanon". I think the big difference is how unpopular Lightning Dust is; since there aren't many stories about her, if some of them share an idea, said idea seems to be much more common than it really is.

3246519
Well, you may have given good evidence as to the age of the main cast, but I can still stick to my belief of Spitfire's age. And their maturity levels, even at the supposed 18, would be considered extremely childish as well. But hell, what I think will only really come into play with my own story, so it really just stays in my head until stuff like this comes by.

~SolidFire

This should be Official Ending for this chapter in Cartoon! That chapter should have to end like this!! This is true friendship! :twilightangry2:

Rainbow Dash in chapter "Wonderbolt academy" made me feel. She throw all guilty to Lightning and she don't feel anything wrong! :facehoof:

Well, this is nearly exactly what I'd write the prequel to my story as. I'd try to get across the same things. A redemption after showing how sorry she was and all that. This was a good take on what should have been the ending for the show. Can't wait to read what's next by you.

~SolidFire

4713678 You can say that again. I don't care if it was because of time constraints. Hasbro should have just ended the episode like this to begin with.

Very nicely done!

why is this in the season 3 and 4 folders of the Accusation fic group

7815043 because Wonderbolt Academy is a Season 3 episode

7823714 but why is it in season 4

For the love of Pete! It was Spitfire's responsibility, or rather LACK of responsibility that caused that tornado. The only reason Lightning Dust went so far was because Spitfire kept praising bad traits and willingly pushing things to disaster. Then she had the audacity to accuse RD of doing something wrong.

Everything bad that happened in that episode is because Spitfire is a terrible (and lazy) leader.

4713678
Don't blame you.

Spitfire encouraged Dusty all the time instead of correcting her early.
As soon as something went wrong she publicly humiliated her and kicked her out without even a warning.

This and the fact that Twilight and her friends were trespassing in a restricted military area are the reason that Wonderbolt Academy is an awful episode with a horrible ending.

Your version is much better.
Dashie and Dusty must be friends and fly as Wonderbolts together.

7770688

3240338

4766298

3246990
Hopefully that mistake will be corrected soon.

8954396

Spitfire encouraged Dusty all the time instead of correcting her early.
As soon as something went wrong she publicly humiliated her and kicked her out without even a warning.

This and the fact that Twilight and her friends were trespassing in a restricted military area are the reason that Wonderbolt Academy is an awful episode with a horrible ending.

FINALLY! I was waiting for someone to point that out:moustache:!

“My point is that what you told me that day is the reason I decided to go along with Lightning’s plan, even though I knew it would be unfair to the others.” Dash explained.



“And after all that, don’t you think it’s a little hypocritical to punish Lightning like this without even giving her a warning or admitting that you may have been wrong.”

Dash has a point Spitfire...you could've at least given Lightning Dust a warning to not pull the stunt that she did with the Weather Course...which may have made her think twice about using the tornado:applejackunsure:.

9108621
With a little bit of luck this mistake will be corrected soon.
Dusty might return in The Washouts and hopefully get her happy ending there.

D48

That was very good, and leave it to McCarthy to axe the important part at the end instead of trimming the middle a bit to fit the timeslot. :facehoof:

The original ending for 'Wonderbolts Academy' involved a character redemption for Lightning Dust,

THANK YOU MEGAN!
truly you do great things
Seriously First directing the idea of Sunset Shimmer
Now this?
Thanks

9110228
Nope
Buuuut at least we know she's still gonna be rivals for life as she says
Eh good enough?

Login or register to comment