• Published 26th Feb 2012
  • 1,051 Views, 18 Comments

Even Harmony has an Opposite - Optimistic Pessimist



The Elements of Harmony are unparalleled. Or are they?

  • ...
 18
 1,051

The Night

The Night

Twilight could not believe her eyes. Pinkie Pie said it was a party, but she had seen entire carnivals smaller then this. Pinkie Pie was a master mind. She had organized so many events in one short afternoon. There were ponies racing around the Sweet Apple Acre Barn. She turned her head. Berry Punch had set up a small bar, and was pouring drinks for two ponies. They were surrounded by an excited crowd of younger ponies. Multitudes of empty shot glasses laid on top of the bar. Twilight pulled back in slight disgust.

She yawned. It had been almost two days since she had some sleep. Twilight headed towards the library to get some sleep. She opened the door to find Cheerilee reading to some fillies. The school teacher looked up and waved her over. “Hello, Twilight. Where are you going?” Twilight sighed. “I was going to try and get some sleep.” Cheerilee giggled. “Why would you do that? It’s a TRIPLE P party Twilight. You don’t wanna miss out.” Twilight smiled. “Yes I realize that, but I’m exhausted.” Cheerilee pointed out the window. “They’re giving away energy drinks over there at that stand. You should try it. It’s REALLY affective.” Twilight sighed. “I guess it couldn’t hurt to try...”

Twilight made her way over to the stand pointed out by Cheerilee. There was a relatively short line of ponies. Twilight looked at the ponies who had drunk the energy drink. They were skipping around like Pinkie Pie with an excited expression. She lined up the other ponies somewhat worried about the contents of the drink. When she got to the front of the line, she saw Zecora. “Zecora? You’re here too?” The zebra turned her head. “Anywhere else, I would not be. For this is a party, of Triple P.” She smiled. “You are tired, I can tell. I know just the brew, to make you well.” And she poured her a cup of the energy drink. “Leaves of the Poison Joke can empower. And I promise, will not make you sour.” Twilight was a little reluctant after the last incident with the Poison Joke, but she took a sip anyway.

Her eyes shot open, and she felt as if she was on top of the world. Twilight grinned. “Wow, Zecora, this is even better than coffee!” Zecora only smiled. “It is my own special recipe. The only one I would deny is Pinkie.” Twilight giggled a little bit, and handed over a few bits. Zecora shook her hoof. “For these, I will not charge a dime. For I cannot deny anyone a good time.” Twilight smiled. “Thanks Zecora!”, and waved as she left the stands.

Twilight could not believe the effects of the drink. She had not slept for two days, and yet she felt like she could go another week. “This must be what being Pinkie Pie is like.”, and she giggled a little. She spotted Jester over by the bar, chatting with Berry Punch. She walked over. “Hey Jester, how’s it going?” Twilight turned to Berry. “Good evening Berry, can I get some fruit punch?” Berry smiled. “Sure, just as soon as I get another round of shots for these guys over here.” She pointed over to a small crowd surrounding two stallions. They had droopy eyes, and shot glasses lay all over the ground and bar. “Drinking contests. Never really understood the point.” Jester was drinking a small glass of punch. The Preludes of Chaos had organized themselves to be a six piece necklace with a glowing string of black magic. “So how are you enjoying the party so far Twilight?” Twilight looked over at Jester. “I haven’t been able to try out most of the events yet, but it’s looking great!” Jester smiled. “I knew you were missing out.”

“Hey Twilight!” She turned her head to Rainbow Dash, who had approached from the barn. “What’s your name again?”, she said as she pointed to Jester. “I’m Jester. Nice to meet you.” He held out his hoof in greeting. Rainbow Dash promptly smacked him across the face. “Ow. What was that for?” Rainbow Dash pointed menacingly at Jester. “No pony messes with me and gets away with it.” She leaned in closer. “No pony.” Jester opened his mouth to speak, but turned to Twilight with a confused look on his face. “You may or may not remember, but you hit Rainbow Dash with lightning in your first encounter with her.” Jester scratched his head. “Well, I guess I deserved it. Sorry about that.” Rainbow Dash looked at him, tapping her chin. “I like you. It takes a lot to just brush it off like that.” Jester shrugged. Rainbow Dash smacked him again. Jester just sighed. “And what was that for?” Rainbow Dash chuckled. “Nothing, I just felt like it.” Jester groaned and shook his head.

Twilight couldn’t help but to notice she had not seen Pinkie Pie since her first appearance in front of the crowd. “Jester, do you have any idea where Pinkie Pie went?” Jester thought for a little bit. “I think she would be over by the bakers. Why don’t you go check?” Twilight nodded. “Alright, see you later! Don’t start any trouble!” and she walked off towards the bakery.

As Jester predicted, Pinkie Pie was at the bakers, making treats by the dozen. Applejack was there as well, baking apple pies that filled the whole building with a sweet aroma. “Wow girls, that smells delicious!” Pinkie Pie looked up. “Oh hey Twilight! What’cha doing here?” Twilight shrugged. “I thought you’d be outside participating in the event.” Pinkie Pie just shook her head. “Supply needs to keep up with demand, and the demand is HIGH for these treats!” She turned back to her batter. “By the way, how’s Jester doing?” Twilight smiled. “Rainbow Dash just got him back.” Pinkie Pie flinched. “Getting smacked across the face with a hoof? sounds painful.” Twilight shrugged again. “He took it better then anyone I’ve ever met. Like it was some dust on his shoulder.” Pinkie Pie giggled. “That’s my Jester! Never let’s anything ruin his day!” Applejack turned around. “Hey Twilight! Wanna try my apple pie? It’s a new recipe.” “Sure! I’d love to sample your new pie!” Applejack cut a small piece off with her knife. Twilight gave it a taste. “Wow Applejack, that’s some nice pie! What did you add?” Applejack chuckled. “Just a little brown sugar and some cinnamon.” Twilight looked at the pie. “Brilliant touch! Anyway, I have to get back with the others. Good luck!” Pinkie Pie and Applejack waved to Twilight as she left the bakery.

Twilight found Jester sitting at the top of a small hill, staring at the stars. “When did you get here?” Jester looked back at Twilight. “After Rainbow Dash left, I decided on coming here. Beautiful scenery, don’t you agree?” and he looked back. Twilight sat down next to him and turned to the scenery. It was a bright night, the moon was full and high in the sky. The stars blinked everywhere, and fireflies mingled in the soft glow. The white topped mountains were divided by the river that also ran through Ponyville, and perfectly complimented the dark trees of the Everfree Forest.

Twilight turned back to Jester to find him staring at the Preludes of Chaos. They orbited him as they emitted a mysterious white glow like that of the moon. Twilight smiled. Jester looked back at Twilight. “You think you could get your Element? Magic, right?” Twilight was confused at the request, but retrieved it anyway. Jester looked at Twilight. “Have you ever tried this?” Jester willed the Preludes into a shape, and red magic arced back and forth between the Preludes until it looked like a guitar. White magic arced back and forth along the neck of the magical instrument six times. Jester held it and strummed. It had the beautiful quality of a real guitar. Twilight looked at the new instrument, and back at her tiara. She smiled as she concentrated. Her tiara shattered, leaving behind the original Element of Harmony. Twilight gasped, but Jester calmly touched her shoulder. “Keep going, that happens.” Twilight looked back, and continued. The gold that had been the base of the Element of Harmony grew and collected to look like a small violin. Purple strings raced back and forth along the golden body. A purple rod appeared from the Element that topped the golden instrument. Twilight grasped both, and she pulled the rod back and forth along the strings. The sound echoed throughout the foot hills. Twilight played like she was born with it. Jester looked at Twilight, and Twilight looked at Jester. Jester played a few chords. Twilight joined in, and the symphony echoed throughout the foothills.

End

Comments ( 11 )

A very interesting read. The only thing that bothers me is that I would have assumed that the preludes would have been removed by the elements, pulled free of the user once control was regained and off to search for a new host/weilder. As I see it, the elements and preludes aren't only a reflection of the user, but enhance the users pull towards their respective power. The elements wouldn't leave someone to be pulled by so much darkness at once. As you said, they seem to have an element of mercy in their behavior.
The idea that they can be used as direct weapons and other forms is something that I hadn't even thought of, but it makes perfect sense as an extension of personal magic.

exxelent but i would of made it so the cloud found 6 ponies that held the preludes of watever

...Well, this was interesting, but...well. *clears throat*

The unmasking basically plays out like an old Scooby Doo episode, except that it's taking itself entirely seriously rather than being tongue-in-cheek and narmy, and as such fails to be enjoyable. Jester's identity wasn't fleshed out at all. It wasn't explained how Twilight knew him, and Pinkie Pie just knows who he is because she apparently has a photographic memory of everyone she has ever met. No backstory, either, apart from a vague mention of being in the Everfree Forest for several years. Replace "Jester" with "Chuck Norris" and you get an idea of why this is a bad thing.

The Triple P thing was literally just tacked on to the story for no reason at all. Seriously, it has no reason to exist other than being a device for a celebratory party to happen. Except that isn't a reason for it to exist; Pinkie's already a party pony so it makes no sense to make her some kind of closet party celebrity, and one of Jester's few actually defined (read: mentioned and never brought up again) traits is an absolute loathing of crowded environments, so it makes no sense for Pinkie to throw a large party instead of a small one. If you wanted to write a story about Pinkie Pie having thrown crazy party mosh rave orgies in the past, that's fine, but for Celestia's sake, make a new story for that, don't just tack it on to a story about something completely different.

And letting Jester keep the Preludes despite them having never been used for good ever not only goes against all of the characterization of all of the protagonists of this show, it goes against the entire plot of this story, because the entire reason any of this happened was because Celestia told the Mane 6 that the Preludes were evil and their wielder had to be stopped.

In short, everything up until chapter 13 or so was nice, but everything after that completely ruined the story for me.

Good day to you.

360157
Impressive critique!
I like you.
I'll these things in mind when I try to write something like this.
By the way, the Jester character was designed in my image.
Maybe I take things too seriously?:rainbowhuh:

448795
Exactly!:yay:
Right on the bulls eye!:twilightsmile:

448815 win XD

I was literally guessing as much as I could :/

448825
:applejackconfused:
Really?
You're GOOD!
And thanks for the fav!

448834 i guess I'm just.

*sunglasses on*

That good.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

No?

Ok :pinkiecrazy:

449157
Really? Is it that good? :derpyderp2:
Thanks!

An entire barn of ponies.. As hyper as pinkie....

Today is the day we die.

449164 it's what it seems :rainbowkiss:

Login or register to comment