• Published 26th Feb 2012
  • 1,051 Views, 18 Comments

Even Harmony has an Opposite - Optimistic Pessimist



The Elements of Harmony are unparalleled. Or are they?

  • ...
 18
 1,051

The Preludes of Chaos

The Preludes of Chaos

When Twilight opened her eyes, she saw two alicorns, one a bright white and the other a midnight blue. The bright white one had erected a magical shield, while the other one recovered from a teleportation spell. “Princess Celestia! Princess Luna! What are you doing here?” Twilight exclaimed. The shield shattered and Princess Celestia exhaled sharply. “No time to explain. Not here. Luna!” She spoke in a quick and serious tone. Princess Luna opened her eyes again and a brilliant flash ensued.

Twilight opened her eyes again. They were in a large garden. She recognized it immediately as the royal garden in Canterlot. She looked around. She looked at her dazed and confused friends, at Princess Luna, tired out from such a long distance teleport spell, and at Princess Celestia. The white alicorn had a grave look on her face. “I sincerely hoped this day wouldn’t come...” She was mumbling to herself. Twilight couldn’t help it, and a stream of questions poured out. “Who was that? What was he talking about? Why are we here? Preludes of-” Celestia held up her hoof, and Twilight stopped. “Follow me, I’ll explain everything.” and Celestia walked towards the palace, with everyone else following close behind.

“Remember when I said that before me and my sister, Discord ruled Equestria?” Twilight nodded. How could she forget that gruesome incident? “Discord isn’t normally very powerful, but when he ascended the throne, he used a powerful set of items, known as the Preludes of Chaos.” Twilight reminisced. “The same thing that black cloud was talking about?” Celestia nodded. “Discord, being lord of Chaos, used it to spread his influence and rule.” Celestia turned a corner. ”The Preludes of Chaos are exactly what they sound like, the opposition of the Elements of Harmony. Like the Elements, there are six Preludes. They are Denial, Frustration, Paranoia, Greed, Indifference and Magic.” Twilight was confused. “I thought Magic was an Element of Harmony, the most powerful one, too. How could it be a Prelude of Chaos?” Celestia only shook her head. “That is the only reason the Preludes can be countered. Generally, the Preludes and the Elements are of the same power, but powerful magic lies on both sides, and magic is not one to take sides.”

Celestia stopped at the Royal Library. With her magic, she opened the doors to the library and went in, with the group following close behind. “There’s a reason why I told you never to touch this book, Twilight.” Celestia pointed at the book reading Harmony and Chaos, Good and Evil. Celestia pushed it inward, and a dull thud was heard. Suddenly, the bookshelf slid into the floor, leaving a small corridor in its place. Rarity gave an unsure glance at Twilight, but went in anyway. Rainbow Dash was recovering from the blast, and staggered in.