• Published 26th Feb 2012
  • 1,051 Views, 18 Comments

Even Harmony has an Opposite - Optimistic Pessimist



The Elements of Harmony are unparalleled. Or are they?

  • ...
 18
 1,051

Who was it?

Who was it?

Twilight was able to walk on her own now, and she was walking through what looked like a dungeon. “Why would we be going to a dungeon?” She asked the others. They all shrugged. Suddenly, a white light flashed from down the hall. They rushed over to find Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in a cell. Princess Celestia was sitting down, unconscious. Princess Luna looked up. “Celestia spoke to Twilight through a spell. Such a spell is very hard on the caster...” Rainbow Dash unlocked the cell door. “How did you get in here?” Princess Luna frowned. “While you were in the temple, the Obsidian Knight confronted us, and bested us in combat. I woke up here, with Princess Celestia, in this dark cell.”

Princess Celestia stirred. “...Thank you my little ponies, you’ve saved this land once again.” She stood up uneasily, and Princess Luna aided her. “Let us see who is the wielder of the Preludes of Chaos.”

They got back up the stairs, and gasped. There, sitting amid the rubble, was a single earth pony. The Preludes of Chaos floated gently around him. Celestia leaned down to Twilight. “Why does he still exist?” Twilight smiled. “No pony deserves to die, despite how bad they’ve been. There seems to be a mercy factor in the Elements of Harmony.” Twilight walked up to the earth pony, Pinkie Pie close behind. He was staring into the sky, a bright blue cloudless sky. Twilight looked at him. He looked back at her. He was not a very big colt, only slightly taller then herself. His coat was like gold that lost its shine. His mane was worn longer then an average length for a colt, and was a dark brown. But his eyes. His eyes stood out the most. They were like Fluttershys’, cresting downward, as to cast a sad look onto his face,

“Hello, you must be?” Twilight held out her hoof in a friendly gesture. He gave a small smile, and shook her hoof. His reply confused her. “I’m surprised you don’t recognize me. I sure do.” Twilight looked at him strangely, then shock came across her face. Her mind raced back to her middle school. She was in Manehatten, not very far from Canterlot. She remember one student in her class that she was making fun of. Then suddenly it hit her. She looked back. Yes, it was him.

“Jester Klyde Cross?” Twilight was shocked. “You KNOW him?” Pinkie Pie said. “She KNOWS him?” Everyone else said.

“Its been too long, Twilight Sparkle. Sorry about what happened earlier...” He gestured towards the Preludes. “I guess I let the power get to my head.” Twilights’ jaw was hanging low. She shook her head and let a string of questions out. “How? When? WHAT?” Twilight was shocked beyond comprehension. Jester held up both of his hooves defensively. “Honestly, I don’t know either.” He looked back to the sky. “I guess I put myself in that position.”

Twilight recalled the Preludes of Chaos. Princess Celestia told her that they were Denial, Frustration, Paranoia, Greed, Indifference, and Magic. She looked at him. “How did you come by the Preludes?” He shrugged, “I was taking a walk through the Everfree forest when they came up to me.” Twilight was confused, then remembered that the Elements choose their wielders, and that the same must be for the Preludes. “Let me do something. It won’t hurt, I promise.”

He simply shrugged again. “Go ahead.” Twilight was surprised and yet expectant of his indifference. He had changed much since she last met him. She put her horn to the Preludes, and they froze. Then she put her horn on Jesters forehead, from which he recoiled a little in surprise. Twilight pulled back and looked at him.

She had just looked into his personality. What she found startled her. She had been a little mean to him when they were together, but his state of mind the very next year told her that he had already shrugged it off. But when she looked deeper, she found that that experience had sparked the idea that the world was out to get him. That explained the paranoia. He denied help even when he needed it the most, and was frustrated with his incapability to do anything. He was greedy for time spent with himself, and often strayed from a larger group. Self-contradictory in so many ways, it was puzzling how he could keep such a wide array of emotion inside. Twilight felt a mixture of wonder and pity, for despite all that bad inside him, he could still manage a smile.