• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 5,194 Views, 108 Comments

Ghosts of the Past - Sepulcher

  • ...
13
 108
 5,194

Chapter Ten

Ghosts of the Future

Chapter Ten


The train ride to Ponyville was uneventful. The Ghost barely said two dozen words during the whole trip. The other ponies that he was forced to share space with had invited him into their conversations, but he declined. Instead of socializing, he preferred to stare out the window and think about the past few days.

How the hell did this happen to me? he asked himself. Transported by the Protoss to a strange world filled with yet another sentient species that just so happens to speak the same language that I do. What are the odds of that? One in a trillion? More?

Pinching the bridge of his nose, the Ghost slowly exhaled. Whatever the odds, it doesn't matter now. I should've acted diplomatically towards the ponies, even when they abducted me. I should've extended the hand of cooperation rather than the fist of vengeance. I went on a misguided path of destruction, hell-bent on taking my revenge. I should've realized my mistake before they pointed it out to me.

The Ghost glumly stared out the window of the train, the mountains slowly disappearing from his view. Should've. Could've. Would've... Didn't. And yet... I have been forgiven.

He briefly glanced down at his suit-less form. Well, almost forgiven. Any exoneration is more than I deserve.

The Ghost's reminiscing and self-depreciation was interrupted when he caught a glimpse of the town called 'Ponyville' through the window. By calculating the estimated speed of the train and the approximate distance remaining, the Ghost estimated that they would arrive in around three minutes. Sighing, he stretched his limbs and prepared to be the subject of odd looks and hushed tones.

\\\\\

Two minutes and fifty-three seconds later, the train ground to a halt. The so-called 'Bearers of Harmony' exited first, with the Ghost following in their wake. Like he predicted, the Ghost found himself to be the center of attention, with ponies staring, gawking, and whispering behind his back. Doing his best not to glare back, the Ghost continued along the road from the train station to the center of Ponyville.

"Mommy, what is that?" asked a young-sounding voice from behind the Ghost.

He ground his teeth in agitation, but kept walking. I don't need this right now.

"I don't know, sweetie, but it looks dangerous. Maybe it's some sort of exotic creature that the Elements of Harmony happened to acquire on one of their latest outings," replied a female voice, what the Ghost assumed to be the child's mother.

His hands clenching into fists, the Ghost forced himself to keep walking and not retaliate, no matter how much he wanted to. The rest of his procession seemed to not hear the obnoxious pony.

When he was sufficiently away from the crowd that had gathered around the train station, the Ghost sighed somewhat contentedly. He was relieved that he had gotten awkward stares and was the subject of hushed tones: any less and he would've felt insulted.

"Somepony's in a good mood," commented Twilight Sparkle from the Ghost's left side.

The Ghost glanced over and gave her a level look. "Optimistic would be a better word," he replied, keeping his tone decidedly neutral.

"Optimistic about the future?"

"Whenever I see a world untouched by war, a world of innocence, a world of lush forests and clear rivers..." The specialist shook his head. "I never thought that I would be the resident of such a place. Just the ability to walk around without having to look over my shoulder is a blessing."

Twilight Sparkle fell quiet after the Ghost's short speech. After walking for another couple of minutes in taciturn silence, the assemblage of six ponies and a Terran broke up when they reached the center of Ponyville. Each pony went to their respective residences, with the Ghost following Rarity to her home and store, Carousel Boutique. As they were walking, Rarity tried to strike up a conversation with the Ghost.

"So, Ghost... can I call you something other than 'Ghost'? Your name just seems so dreary..."

He sighed. The Ghost was wondering when this topic was going to come up. "'Ghost' may not be my actual name, but it's the only one I have," explained the Ghost. He paused for a second, then added, "It's a rather appropriate name as well, don't you think?"

Rarity looked over at the silently moving, pale form of the biped walking beside her. Shivering, she responded, "It does seem rather fitting, I daresay."The white unicorn thought for a moment before continuing. "Maybe we can decipher your true name from your cutie mark when you remove your apparel."

Cutie mark? And what does she mean, 'remove my apparel'? "I don't know what a 'cutie mark' is," said the Ghost cautiously. "I am also rather... attached to my outfit as well."

"Well, a cutie mark is a special—"

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS GIANT WRANGLERS YAY!" screamed a chorus of voices from behind the Ghost. He whirled around to see three small ponies, one of each subspecies, charging towards him. Giant wranglers? thought the Ghost as he sidestepped out of the rampaging ponies line of damage.

The three ponies obviously hadn't expected the Ghost to move as quickly as he did. They kept running for a few seconds after he had moved, oblivious to the fact that their quarry was gone. After they skidded to a halt and relocated the Ghost, the small, orange pegasus said, "Whoa! It moves really fast!"

"Don't worry Rarity: we'll save you!" announced the small, white unicorn of the group.

"I don't need any sav—" Rarity attempted to say, but was cut off when the three fillies let out their battle cry and charged once again, this time from three different sides.

With a bored expression, the Ghost stood his ground until the last second. The earth pony and the pegasus were a tad bit faster than the unicorn, so he jumped in the air, causing the earth pony and pegasus to crash head-on. The Ghost scooped up the unicorn as he landed: he didn't want the horn impaling either of the ponies that were currently dazed from their collision. Hmm. Looks similar to Rarity. Perhaps her daughter? thought the Ghost after glancing at the unicorn.

With the unicorn struggling madly, but still securely tucked under his arm, he walked over to Rarity and offered the unruly child to her saying, "Is this yours?"

Rarity blinked several times before she seemingly realized what the Ghost had said. She turned her attention to the small unicorn being held out to her and said, "Sweetie Belle! You, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo almost assaulted our guest! What do you have to say to Mr. Ghost here?"

Sweetie Belle squirmed in his grasp, trying to look at the Ghost. Silently laughing, he placed her on the ground. She sat on her haunches and looked up at the Ghost with a mixture of awe, fear, and embarrassment. "I'm sorry Mr. G-Ghost," she said.

"For what? You three were just trying to protect Rarity. Although admirable, it was foolish to attack something much, much bigger and stronger than you," explained the Ghost. "You need to use stealth, deception, and cunning rather than brute force tactics to take down something like me."

No words came out of Sweetie's open mouth. Rarity looked at the Ghost in shock.

"Does that mean we don't have to say sorry either?" asked a timid voice from behind the Ghost. When he turned around, it was revealed to have come from the orange pegasus. The pale yellow earth pony was standing right behind.

Smiling wryly, the Ghost asked, "That depends: who was the one that orchestrated your little attempt?"

"That would be me, Mister Ghost. Ah convinced Sweetie n' Scootaloo to help me wrangle ya," said the earth pony filly with a similar accent to Applejack. "We're sorry for attackin' ya and we'll be sure to double check next time there's somethin' walkin' around that we don't know."

The Ghost nodded, content that they wouldn't make the same mistake twice. "Go, before I change my mind on not giving you a punishment," he ordered. The two fillies complied without hesitation.

"Sweetie Belle, do you mind leaving the Ghost and I alone for a few minutes? I need to have a few words with him," the Ghost heard Rarity say, prompting the psionic infiltrator to turn around.

Sweetie nodded and started walking towards the center of Ponyville. When the unicorn passed the Ghost she whispered, "Thank you, mister."

Thanks? What did I do to deserve gratitude? Mentally shrugging, the Ghost walked over to Rarity and asked, "Yes?"

"What do you mean, 'Yes'? You just let those three fillies, who attacked you, off scot free without so much as a stern word!" exclaimed Rarity. "Don't you know how to deal with children?"

The Ghost stared at her. "Do I look like I spend time with children?" After receiving no response, he continued. "I thought not. Anyway, regarding their punishment, I figure that once the earth pony and pegasus return home and explain to their parents what happened, they'll probably be given some sort of penalty. I don't need to add anything else. As for Sweetie Belle, I think having to share a house with me is punishment enough. She is yours, yes?"

"I... I never thought of that. I underestimated you Ghost: you certainly think things through further than I do. And no, Sweetie Belle isn't mine, but she is my sister and she does live with me."

"Good. I'm glad that's settled then. Shall we proceed?" asked the Ghost.

"Certainly. I'm just giddy with excitement to see what your clothing is made of," announced Rarity as she trotted onwards, oblivious to an unhappy Ghost behind her.

This won't be pleasant.

Comments ( 25 )

Fast chapter posting.

Rarity is creeping me out now. :eeyup:

WE GOTT NAKED

NEKKED GHOST IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!:trollestia:

You've already completed the story and your just re uploading it right? So why can't you just post it all at once?

Please for the love of god don't turn this into a clopfic!!!:flutterrage:
But the story as usual superb:moustache:

NEKKED TIEM!

So what now? This is the last chapter than the previous author of this story wrote that you re-uploaded. I hope you gave some thought to how you were going to take this.

Im still bummed out that the ghost is ind of a pussy now. magic mind unlocking stuff is kinda lame.

Ghosts are supposed to be crazy silent killing machines that use freaky mind powers to own and kill anything in there path. At the start of the story this Ghost sounded exactly like that, now its HiE.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with how Ghost is acting right now. Sure he's being a little more pleasant than would be expected, but some people in the comments (I think you know who you are) are basically asking why he isn't killing everyone around him at the moment, because since he hasn't murdered everyone that makes him a weak pansy.

You do know that one extreme is just as bad as the other, right? Yes, Ghosts are insane killing machines who are great at using their powers against anyone in their paths. However, there is nothing in his path right now. There is no reason for him to be killing everyone on the planet. That would be completely stupid and just as bad as the other extreme (having him suddenly act like Pinkie). Basically, the reason he's acting so peaceful right now is because that's what the situation calls for. Some of the comments left here makes me honestly wonder if the people leaving the comments are actually aware of where he is. He isn't on a world completely infested by the Zerg.

I don't think this story will continue. This is just a re-upload from the original story which was removed a while ago.
If this ever does get continued, I don't see what the big problem is with Ghost's new way of behavior. Gabriel Tosh or Sarah Kerrigan never acted like heartless psychopaths in the actual Starcraft storyline. And if you pay close attention to everything that was said by the charecters in Starcraft 2; Wings of Liberty, you know that even spectres, who are supposed to be utterly psychotic nut jobs according to Nova, are really no more violent then ordinary people. Nova was the one who lied about the specters to try to turn Jim Raynor against them.

5250257 Yes yes, I'll go and get my saw in a minute... You bloody nurse.

5250879 IM NOT A NURSE! IM DOCTOR CUTTER! :3

5253974 Then stop wearing a skirt.

5255528 ON IT! *deep inhale* HUZZAH! HEMORJES EX MORTIS! *Explosion vaporises the skirt* DONE! :3

5255630 Wait... Im a girl... SHIT! *teleports away*

5255630 Wait... Im a girl... SHIT! *teleports away*

5255633 Well, you'll never get the chance to become the princess of all Saiyans if you leave like that.

5256061 *teleports back in with trousers and a long sleeved sweater* Really?

3060242 LORD DEATH I HAS YOUR NUMBER! ITS 42-42-564! :3

5258424 Yes you crazy ape, now get in my space ship. There isn't much room in it, but I doubt you'll have a problem with that.

But first, you gotta tell me how you do that teleport thing. It seems really useful.

5260481 *gets in spaceship* .. I dont know How i teleport I just do... :/

Login or register to comment