• Published 28th Jun 2013
  • 2,409 Views, 17 Comments

Shadowmere in Equestria - Dawn Flower



After dying in Tamriel, instead of returning to Oblivion, Shadowmere finds himself in a strange land populated by colourful ponies. This new world seems completely different from the one that he is from. How will Shadowmere adapt to this new world?

  • ...
8
 17
 2,409

The Fight

The Fight

Twilight woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. She sat up in her bed and stretched her hooves. She then got out of bed and walked over to her mirror and brushed her mane. When she was finished brushing her mane, she turned around and walked over to Spike, who was still asleep.

“Come on Spike, wake up. It’s already late.”

Spike didn’t feel like getting up and just pulled his blanket over his head. “Five more minutes.”

Twilight just rolled her eyes and then nodded and smiled playfully. She then activated her horn and pulled his blanket into the air. Spike’s eyes suddenly shot open. “Alright, alright. I’m up, I’m up.” He then stood up slowly, stretched and rubbed his eyes.

“Come on, Spike,” Twilight said as she turned around and started walking towards the stairs. “Now you can finally meet Shadowmere.”

Spike quickly followed after her. “You mean that pony you told me about, that Fluttershy found passed out in the Everfree Forest?”

“Yes Spike; him,” Twilight smiled. “He’s actually a really nice pony. He’s a bit strange too, but he means well.”

Twilight and Spike were coming down the stairs and the downstairs was coming in to view. She quickly faced the couch and said, “Good morning, Shadowmere.” However, when she looked closer, she saw that he wasn’t there. “Huh.” Twilight’s smile faded and was replaced by a look of confusion. She then ran down the stairs and over to the couch. “He’s not upstairs.” She then turned around to face Spike. “Spike, is he in the kitchen by any chance?”

Spike stuck his head into the kitchen. He then pulled it back out and turned back around to face Twilight. “Sorry Twilight. He’s not in there.”

“Where could he be?” Twilight said, now in a tone of concern instead of confusion.

Suddenly, the door of the library opened and Fluttershy ran in. She was panting and out of breath. Twilight and Spike turned to face her immediately. “Twilight, thank goodness you’re awake,” Fluttershy said in a worried tone, breathing heavily.

Twilight ran over to her. “Fluttershy; what’s wrong?”

Fluttershy closed her eyes and breathed out. She then opened her eyes again. “I got up early to feed my chickens and when I looked over at the path leading into Ponyville, I saw Shadowmere walking towards the Everfree Forest.”

“What?!” Twilight and Spike shouted in unison.

“Mm hmm,” Fluttershy nodded. “I tried to stop him. I tried to tell him that there were dangerous monsters in there, like that manticore that attacked him earlier; but he just said, ‘Good’ and continued walking towards the forest. I then decided to come and get you so that you could talk some sense into him.” Fluttershy then backed away slightly and lowered her head. “I was too scared to go in after him by myself,” she said in a quiet mumble.

Twilight smiled and reached her hoof out to comfort her. “It’s okay Fluttershy.” Fluttershy smiled and looked up again. Twilight then backed away a bit and said, “Alright everypony, let’s go.”

Twilight, Spike and Fluttershy all ran out the door, but as soon they did, Rainbow Dash came flying by. She stopped in the air, just in front of them. “Hey there, Twilight. I thought I’d stop by and see how you’re doing, what with Shadowmere staying here and all.”

“Oh, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy responded. “Something’s wrong. Shadowmere has run off into the Everfree Forest and he might be in trouble.”

Rainbow Dash’s expression changed to one of confusion. “What? Even after what happened to him with the manticore yesterday? I mean, I know he’s strong but that doesn’t mean that he should just go out looking for trouble.” She then whipped her head to the side. “That pony is just so stubborn and reckless.”

Twilight smirked in response. “Gee, remind you of anypony?”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes snapped open. She then turned around with an annoyed look on her face and grunted in irritation. “Come on, Twilight. Let’s just get going already.”

The four of them then sped off in the direction of the Everfree Forest.

---

When they reached the Everfree Forest, they didn’t hesitate to charge in; not even Fluttershy. When they were all inside the forest, they slowed down and looked around for any signs of Shadowmere.

As they were walking along, Twilight suddenly looked down and saw a bunch of broken twigs and branches all over the path. Twilight lifted up one of the branches with her magic and began examining it. After about five seconds, she dropped the branch on the ground and gasped.

Rainbow Dash looked down at her and asked, “What’s wrong Twilight?”

“These branches,” she responded in a worried tone. “They came from… timberwolves.”

Fluttershy immediately gasped in fright and raised her two front hooves in front of her mouth. “Oh dear.”

Twilight’s expression became serious again. “Come on, girls. Let’s move.” The four of them then started running along the path, with Rainbow Dash flying above them. As they ran, they noticed more and more broken branches and twigs from timberwolves.

After running for about ten seconds, they saw Shadowmere up ahead, surrounded by four timberwolves. When they saw this, they suddenly picked up their speed and ran, in Rainbow Dash’s case, flew faster.

One of the timberwolves pounced towards Shadowmere. He quickly stepped to the side and the timberwolf jumped right into a tree. Another timberwolf jumped at him. This time, Shadowmere turned around and bucked the timberwolf when it came close and shattered it into pieces. He then turned around to face the two remaining timberwolves. This time, they both charged at him at the same time. Shadowmere charged towards them and quickly ran to the side and kicked one into the other, shattering them both. The timberwolf that had jumped into the tree got back up and started quietly creeping towards Shadowmere. When it was right behind him, Shadowmere casually kicked from behind without turning around and knocked its head off. The body then simply fell apart.

After he had defeated all of the timberwolves, the three ponies and Spike finally caught up to him. They all stopped in front of him and started gasping for breath, save for Rainbow Dash. Twilight looked down at the timberwolf’s head at her hooves and then looked up at Shadowmere. She had the same look of disbelief on her face that she had when she first heard of Pinkie Pie’s ‘Pinkie Sense’. Shadowmere then turned around to face them.

When she had regained her breath, Twilight addressed Shadowmere. “Are you okay?”

Shadowmere responded immediately in a simple tone. “I’m fine.”

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s a relief. We were so worried that you would get hurt fighting with all of these dangerous creatures.”

Shadowmere looked down at the ground at the mess of branches that were once timberwolves. “These creatures aren’t dangerous. They’re pathetic.”

Twilight was speechless when he said this and her face was blank. Rainbow Dash, however, looked annoyed and angry. She glanced at Twilight and then to Shadowmere. “Hey, didn’t you hear what she said? We were worried about you. I mean, we didn’t know that you were tough enough to take on all these timberwolves by yourself without getting hurt. We were really worried about you. Don’t get me wrong, we’re glad that you’re alright, but don’t you think you should have said something like, ‘I’m sorry that I made you worry’ or something?”

Shadowmere turned to face Rainbow Dash; his normally blank face showed a small bit of confusion, like he wasn’t used to people, or rather ponies, worrying about him. He then turned to face Twilight and said, “I’m sorry I made you worry.”

Twilight smiled. “It’s alright.” She then looked at Fluttershy and Spike standing behind her and then turned back to face Shadowmere. “We should probably leave now before any more monsters show up.”

Shadowmere nodded. “Right.” They then all turned around and started walking towards the entrance of the Everfree Forest.

As they all walked along, Shadowmere looked to his left and noticed Spike walking beside him. “Hey Twilight. Is this that ‘Spike’ you told me about before?”

Twilight, who was walking on his right, turned her head to face him and said, “Yeah, he’s my assistant.”

Spike then closed his eyes and puffed out his chest. “Her number one assistant.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and smiled. Shadowmere, however, never took his eyes off Spike. “I’ve never actually seen a dragon before. I thought that they were just legends.” He then raised his head up in thought. “Then again; I think I remember hearing about dragonlings in Daggerfall.

Twilight looked back at Shadowmere. “So Shadowmere; have you decided what you’re going to do here in Ponyville?”

Shadowmere snapped out of his thoughts and turned to face Twilight. He then faced forward again. “I’m going to be here for another nine days; then I’ll return to Tamriel.” Twilight looked at him quizzically as she still no idea what Tamriel was. “I hope it’s okay if I stay with you until then.” He briefly glanced over at Rainbow Dash as he spoke.

Twilight smiled back at him. “Of course you can.” Twilight’s expression suddenly changed to a stern and serious expression. “However, I want you to promise me that you won’t wander off into the Everfree Forest again.”

Shadowmere stared back at her and after a few seconds, responded in a straight and simple tone. “I promise.”

Twilight then smiled and faced forward again. Shadowmere soon followed after her. The others behind them all had confused expressions on their faces and all quickly looked between them. The rest of the trek out of the forest was spent in complete silence.

After five minutes of walking in silence, they finally reached the exit. Fluttershy immediately walked away from the group towards her cottage and then turned around to speak to them. “Well, I should probably head home now. I was so caught up in everything that I forgot to feed my animals. I hope that they won’t be too disappointed by the wait.” She then turned back around and happily skipped towards her cottage with a smile on her face.

The others all waved goodbye to her as she left. “Bye Fluttershy. We’ll see you later.” Twilight then lowered her hoof and turned to the side to face the others. “So, what should we do now?”

As if on cue, Shadowmere’s stomach started rumbling. Shadowmere looked down at his stomach in slight embarrassment. “I’m actually pretty hungry after all of that fighting.”

Twilight placed her hoof to her mouth and giggled a bit. “I know; why don’t we all go to Sugarcube Corner? Pinkie probably still has some leftovers from the party last night.”

“Sounds good.” The four of them then headed off in the direction of Sugarcube Corner.

---

When they had all reached Sugarcube Corner, Shadowmere sat down at one of the tables and started eating some of the food that was left over from last night. Twilight, Spike and Rainbow Dash then went over to the counter to speak with Pinkie Pie.

“Wow. I am so, so, so happy to see Shadowmere again,” Pinkie beamed. She suddenly dropped her smile and started tapping her hoof to her chin in thought. “Huh. I’m still trying to come up with a good nickname for him. Shadowy? Marey? This would be a lot easier if he was a mare.”

Rainbow Dash suddenly threw a side glance to Twilight. “Okay, Pinkie Pie’s randomness aside; what are we going to do about Shadowmere? Somepony should probably stay with him to make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble.”

“Good thinking, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight chimed in. “However, I really want to do some research on this, ‘Tamriel’ place that he says he comes from so I can understand more about what he’s like, so I won’t be able to do it.”

Pinkie jumped up in excitement. “Ooh, I’ll do it. I want to do it. Spending an entire day with Shadowmere; oh, it’ll be so much fun.”

Rainbow Dash turned to face Pinkie. “But Pinkie Pie, aren’t you working today?”

Pinkie suddenly went silent for a few seconds and then she smiled again. “Oh yeah, I forgot.” She then started laughing.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash just stared at her and then at each other for a moment and then joined her in a laugh. “Alright then,” Twilight continued. “I’ll head back to the library and start doing some research. Rainbow Dash, you keep an eye on Shadowmere, alright?”

“Right.” Rainbow Dash then gave Twilight a salute.

Twilight giggled a bit at the sight of this. She then turned around and started walking away. “Come on, Spike. Let’s go.”

“Right behind you,” Spike responded and the two of them walked out of the bakery.

Rainbow Dash walked to the side so that the line of ponies behind her could place their orders and Pinkie Pie returned to serving them. She then looked over at Shadowmere, who was still eating. She smiled a little and then walked over to him.

A few minutes later, the door of Sugarcube Corner slammed open and a familiar face walked in. Everypony in the building turned around to see who it was. She had an angry look on her face and she was huffing in anger. She walked forward, pushing the ponies in line out of the way and moved towards the counter.

Pinkie Pie turned around and she smiled when she saw who was there: “Gilda.”

However, Gilda did not respond in kind. She instead grabbed Pinkie by the neck with her claw and pulled her in closer to her face. “So, you remember me, huh?”

Despite the fact that she was being choked, Pinkie still responded in her usual happy manner. “Well of course silly billy; we’re friends”.

This only made Gilda fume in anger even more. “Friends? Friends?! You ruined my friendship with Dash and turned all of Ponyville against me”. She then brought Pinkie’s face right up against hers. “Now I’m gonna make you pay.”

Pinkie suddenly pulled her head back a bit in confusion. She then turned back to face Gilda. “But this is a bakery. You’re supposed to pay.”

Gilda was speechless. She closed her eyes and fumed in anger. She then opened her eyes and roared at Pinkie Pie. “STOP! BEING! SO! STUPID!” She then raised Pinkie over the counter and threw her out the door. Everypony in the queue ducked to the ground as Pinkie Pie flew over them. Gilda then walked over to the door. She stood up on two legs and placed her claws on the door frame. She then looked over at where Pinkie Pie was lying in the street. “Now, it’s payback ti…”

Before she could finish her sentence, she suddenly felt something strike her in the back of the head and sent her flying out the door. She crashed against the wall of the building opposite Sugarcube Corner and fell to the ground. Ponies in the area all stopped what they were doing and turned to face the ruckus that was going on outside Sugarcube Corner.

Gilda quickly got back onto her feet and stood up. “Alright, who did that?” She then looked back at the doorway of Sugarcube Corner and saw a big, brown stallion standing there with his hoof stretched out in front of him. He just stared back at her with an empty face. “And just what do you think you’re doing?” She snarled at him.

Shadowmere lowered his hoof and responded in a straight tone of voice. “What are you doing attacking someone who was just standing there?”

Gilda was a bit surprised by this question. “She ticks me off, that’s why. What’s it to you?” Gilda responded.

Shadowmere closed his eyes briefly and gave a short sigh. “I see now. You’re nothing more than a common bandit, starting a fight for no reason.”

“What did you say to me?!” Gilda shouted. She then pounded her fist into her other claw.

Shadowmere just stared back at her without responding or changing his expression. Suddenly, Rainbow Dash appeared in the door frame behind Shadowmere. “Hey Shadowmere; what’s going on here?”

Gilda’s eyes immediately widened when she saw Rainbow Dash. She then snarled in anger. “So Dash, first you go and get yourself a new best friend and now you’ve gone and gotten yourself a coltfriend too?” She then stuck up her beak at Shadowmere. Gilda harrumphed. “And another annoying earth pony to boot.”

Rainbow Dash immediately jumped when she heard this. She then turned around to face Gilda and just said, “Coltfriend?”

Pinkie Pie stood back up and quickly zipped over to Shadowmere and Rainbow Dash. Gilda closed her eyes and clenched her fists in anger. She then opened her eyes and said with a devilish smile; “Well then, let’s just see how much you like your new friends after I beat them to a pulp.”

Gilda then immediately dashed forward and charged straight at Shadowmere. Shadowmere didn’t react to this at all; he just stood there. When Gilda was close to him, time seemed to slow down for her as she saw that he quickly dodged her at close range simply by moving his head to the side. He then quickly turned around, raised his two back hooves and bucked her right in the stomach.

The force of the blow completely knocked the wind out of her and sent her crashing into the wall of the building across the street… again. There was a collective, “Ooooooohhh,” from the crowd of ponies watching. That looked like it hurt.

She got back up slower than last time, coughing and trying to catch her breath. She looked back up at Shadowmere, who had just lowered his hooves and turned back around to face her. “You think that I’m just gonna give up after two lucky shots?!” Gilda shouted at him. She then started panting some more. “I’m only just getting started!”

Shadowmere responded by walking down the steps of Sugarcube Corner. Gilda then reared back and charged at him once again. She ran towards him this time instead of flying and as she was closing in on him, Shadowmere quickly jumped out of the way and grabbed her wing in his mouth as she moved passed him. He then turned around, raised his back hoof and kicked her in the opposite direction. However, because he was holding on to her, she didn’t go flying off. He then pulled her back, pulled his head backwards so that her wing was now stretched out in front of him, raised his front hoof and punched her in the wing, completely severing the nerves in her wing. Gilda screamed out in pain as this happened. Shadowmere then whipped his head back and threw her away. She tumbled several times as she hit the ground and finally came to rest in the middle of the street.

Gilda tried to lift herself back up but she just didn’t have the energy. Shadowmere then started slowly walking over to her. As he walked, he started scanning the ground for something and eventually picked up a sharp stone with his mouth. “Let’s finish this.”

Gilda’s eyes immediately widened in fear as she saw this. She suddenly got some of her energy back and she pulled herself up on her two front claws. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute,” she said frantically. “What are trying to do, kill me?” She spoke with real fear in her voice.

“That’s right. Cowards should die.” He then crept closer and closer to where Gilda was.

Gilda was now afraid for her life. She raised her left claw up to her face in some small hope of avoiding what was to come. Suddenly, Rainbow Dash flew to Shadowmere’s side and placed her hoof on his shoulder. “Shadowmere, that’s enough. I know she’s a total jerk but you don’t have to go that far.”

Shadowmere turned his head around to look at Rainbow Dash. Seeing that he was distracted, Gilda quickly dashed towards him and when she was right in front of him, she raised her claw to strike. Shadowmere turned back around just in time to be scratched across the face by her razor sharp talons. The force of the strike caused him to drop the rock in his mouth and he closed his eyes. He now had a large, bloody scratch right down the front of his face. Everypony watching gasped in surprise at this. Gilda smiled with devilish satisfaction.

However, the very next second, Shadowmere opened his eyes and as quickly as it had appeared, his cut started healing itself. After just three seconds, it was completely gone and it left no evidence that it was even there, except for one drop of blood that had already been squeezed out. The crowd was completely speechless at the sight of this. This pony had instantly regenerated a bad injury.

Gilda pulled her head back in disbelief. Her devilish smile had faded and she had gone back to fearing for her life. Shadowmere then turned his head back to face her and took one step forward. Gilda immediately scurried backwards as fast as she could until she hit the wall of the building that she had already been hit into twice already. Gilda was so afraid that she struggled to speak. “Wh-wh-what are you?”

Shadowmere didn’t respond; he just continued looking at her with an expressionless face and took another step towards her. Rainbow Dash then placed her hoof on his shoulder again to stop him. “Shadowmere, just let it go.” She then turned to face Gilda with a look of annoyance and disappointment on her face. “She’s not worth it. Girl’s like her never are.”

Shadowmere looked at Rainbow Dash and then he turned back to look at Gilda. “Go on; get out of here.”

Gilda looked back at Shadowmere and Rainbow Dash. She then turned around and flew into the air and flew away as quickly as she could on her broken wing. The ponies in the area all stood there silently and simply watched as she left. As she was flying away, only one thought came to her mind: “Boy, I am so done with ponies.

---

“No! No! No!” Twilight screamed as she repeatedly pounded her hoof against the big book that was laid out in front of her. She then moved her face in close to examine the book more closely. “I just don’t understand. I’ve looked over every inch of this map of Equestria and I can’t find any place called Tamriel.” She pulled her head away from the book again. “I also haven’t found a single reference to anything called ‘The Dark Brotherhood’ in any of my history books.” Her expression then changed from confusion to one of annoyance and she pouted in anger. She then screamed out, “And what in Equestria is an assassin?!” while she waved her hooves in the air.

Spike was currently at the top of a ladder on the other side of the room putting several books away. He then moved to address Twilight while he was still putting the books back on the shelves. “Well, maybe Shadowmere’s not from Equestria. I mean, when you guys first found him, he didn’t know where he was or even who Princess Celestia was.”

Twilight calmed down from her little rant and started to ponder this possibility. “I don’t know, Spike. I’ve never heard of ponies from outside of Equestria before.” She then placed her hoof to her chin. “Then again, ponies don’t really know much about the world beyond Equestria. I mean, there’s the Griffin Kingdom to the east and the Dragon Continent to the south-east, but beyond that, ponies don’t really know much about the outside world.” Twilight then perked up a bit. “But it’s worth a try.” She then turned to Spike, closed her eyes, placed her hoof over her chest and smiled. “Spike, bring me the world atlas.”

Spike let out a sigh. He then slid down the ladder and walked over to get the world atlas. It was a huge book about twice as big as he was. He carried it on his back and was barely able to support its weight with his whole body. He walked slowly over to Twilight and when he was right next to her, he collapsed under the weight of the book.

Twilight looked down at him briefly and smiled. “Thank you, Spike.” She then lifted the atlas with her magic and placed it on the stand in front of her, replacing the map of Equestria she had open. Spike then stood back up, dusted himself off and sighed again. He then returned to putting the books back on the shelves.

Twilight used her magic and started flipping through the pages of the massive book in front of her. She took a quick glance at each of the pages that she passed as she searched for the area she was looking for. “Tamriel? Tamriel? T? T?” As she looked through the book, a smile began forming on her face; not just because she was about to learn more about this mysterious pony she met, but also because she was now studying an area that she hasn’t studied before. She quickly let out a squee of delight and returned to her research. Unfortunately for her, she would never find what she was looking for.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

I hope you are all enjoying this fic; however, I’m sorry to say that I am putting it on hiatus. When I first decided to create this fic, this was as far as I planned out. I still have some small bits planned but nothing big. I also really want to focus on Bioshock Equestria right now. I haven’t updated it lately and I really want to continue with it. I also have several fics on my read list right now and I really want to get around to reading Fallout Equestria as well, so it’s going to be a while before I update this fic again. However, I am not cancelling it. I really want to return to it someday. It’s just going to be a while. Thank you all for liking, favouriting and commenting, and I hope I can continue it someday.

Comments ( 6 )

I can definitely see Celestia knowing what an assassin is... leading to a confrontation between her and Shadowmere, possibly only diffused by one of the mane 6.
I can also see Shadowmere killing somepony/one who threatens his new friends (perhaps Gilda has connections?) and driving a wedge between him and the them
Finally, I can see somepony (possibly Twilight) discovering that Shadowmere is a Daedra and (despite not knowing about Tamriel) knowing what one is.

...That's all I got.

I hope this story gets updated soon.

Wait, wasn't Shadowmere referred to as female in Oblivion? On that note, what is Shadowmere's gender anyway? I know you refer to Shadowmere as a 'he'... but still. :derpytongue2:

Also, update please? :fluttershysad:

4740344
Daedra don't have genders so he can be either. In Skyrim, Astrid alternates between calling he and she

Gilda was so afraid that she struggled to speak. “Wh-wh-what are you?”

I am Shadowmere. *shwing*

4740478 why kill this story

Login or register to comment