• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 2,696 Views, 39 Comments

The One to Pay - Drizzle Quill



Silver Spoon is insecure and ready to leave this world. Trekking to Canterlot, she stands upon the brink of the cliff, ready to leave. Can an old friend help her see the light?

  • ...
1
 39
 2,696

...and your life shall not be wasted today (Alternate Ending)

3:19 A.M., March 9th

“Silver,” Sweetie whispered, openly crying now. “Silver!”

Silver Spoon looked back; with a final tip of the head, she looked down into the darkness. This was it. All of her pain, over. And all she had to do was jump. Like they were programmed, she felt her legs moving into the position needed to spring over.

Suddenly a voice rang out from behind them, somewhere faintly close.

“Sweetie Belle! Sweetie, are you out there?”

The white unicorn froze, as well as Silver. Feeling the instinctive urge to push her glasses up her muzzle for one last time, she did so, and turned to face the newcomer. Her eyes widened as she realized she was muzzle-to-muzzle with Sweetie Belle’s sister, Rarity, who looked just as shocked as she did.

“Silver Spoon?” the elegant unicorn whispered airily, looking from her sister to her and back again. “What are you…” She cut off her phrase as she noticed one of Silver’s back legs hovering over the edge, like it was still trying to jump even if the rest of the body had momentarily frozen. “Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no.”

A warm blue aura enveloped both of the fillies; Sweetie shrieked that she could walk by herself while Silver panicked, legs frantically flying in the direction of the cliff. Rarity let neither filly leave, instead trotting a short distance away to a small set of stairs, which she climbed up with ease, hooves making quick, fast-paced clopping sounds.

Silver felt her mind racing.

Bad I have to go back have to go she can’t take me I have to fight it I have thrown my life away and now I’ll be the one to pay I have thrown my life away and now I’ll be the one to pay let me go let me go

Rarity finally set both of the fillies down on a long, velvety bed that was unlike anything Silver had ever experienced before. She didn’t wish to linger, however. She had to get back.

“Miss Rarity, can you please, like,” she bit her lip, the filler word having slipped out by accident, but continued to press on, “let me go back? Please?”

Her blue eyes stared into her, unseeing and angry. “I’m sorry, Silver Spoon. But no. I will not allow you to commit that…that ruffian act of such sorts!” Rarity’s eyes softened, and she leaned forward, placing one hoof under Silver’s chin. “Have you spoken to your parents about this, sweetheart?”

Sweetie bit her lip and could not stop one tear from leaking. Silver knew. She could see it.

And she was crying too.

Rarity said nothing, but slowly began to stroke the silver filly's mane, over and over again, in a beautiful rhythmic pattern. Slowly the odd beat of the combing began to overpower the steady drum of the phrase that had haunted Silver for weeks. I have thrown my life away -

It's alright, it's alright, as long as I can put up a fight. It's alright, it's alright, as long as I can put up a fight.

Silver felt Rarity's comb undoing her braid; she flinched, but said nothing. Her body shivered with the tears she was fighting, and her chest heaved. Slowly, though, slowly, it grew calmer.

"Darling...you can tell me what happened," Rarity whispered in her ear. "And Sweetie Belle and I will do our best to help you."

Hearing these kind words, these generous and kind words, the first genuinely kind words she had heard in months, Silver Spoon could not stop crying. Feeling Sweetie Belle's warm arms embrace her, she sobbed even harder.

"It's alright...it's alright," the little filly whispered. "As long as you put up a fight, it'll be alright."

It's alright, it's alright, as long as I put up a fight.

6:34 P.M., March 9th

The unicorn police pony was large, towering over Silver Spoon by several feet, but she was not scared. His blue eyes searched her, as if trying to figure out if she was lying to him or not. She knew she wasn't, but she wasn't going to insist. She simply waited.

"You say she was..." He used his dark blue magical aura to flip through a notepad suspended by his side and skimmed it. "...abusive, cruel, and mistreating you?"

Silver felt a shudder run through her. She looked up at Rarity and Sweetie Belle, who stood next to her, swallowed, and nodded, a few extra times, just in case. "She called me names and hit me and made me stop playing with my friends!"

"Hey, Bright Badge," called another voice, a mare's this time. A similarly garbed earth pony mare in a police uniform darted out into the open. Bright Badge turned from Silver and her companions and looked at her curiously.

The mare reached into her saddlebag and pulled out a large bottle of an unknown substance; however, Rarity must have understood what it was, for her already white face somehow went paler. "Is that...?" she asked, voice breathless.

The police mare nodded, and Bright Badge's face also went white. "How many of those bottles did you find?"

"Give or take a few, roughly fifty-five." The mare sighed. "All empty."

Bright Badge's eyes snapped toward the doorway as a screaming Parasol Flight was dragged out of the house, kicking and thrashing. Her gaze met Silver Spoon's, and the mare's eyes went wide with rage.

"This is all YOUR fault, you little insecure BRAT! You HEAR me? YOURS!"

Silver took three deep, shuddering breaths, trying to tone out the shrieks as Parasol's shrieks faded into the distance, heading firmly towards the Ponyville Hospital. Sweetie placed one hoof on Silver's shoulder and gave her a bittersweet smile.

Silver took one more heaving breath, and smiled back.

It's alright, it's alright, as long as I can put up a fight.

12:49 A.M., March 10th

"Well, the papers are all set." The unicorn mare smiled at Silver and ruffled her mane. "You're one lucky gal, Missy. Sweetie Belle and her family are awfully kind to take you in."

"It's no trouble at all," Sweetie's father, Magnum, remarked, placing one hoof on Silver Spoon's back and smiling at her, before giving her a wink. She smiled and winked back, causing him to laugh. "Yeah, she'll fit in 'till she can live on her own, like my little Rare did."

"My name isn't Rare," Rarity grumbled from the back, causing her father to smile a bittersweet smile at her and not reply.

Sweetie Belle shrieked with excitement and bounced up and around Silver Spoon, causing her to spin in circles trying to follow her friend's path. "This is so exciting! We'll be like adopted sisters or something!"

"Or something..."

But something is better than living with Parasol, the monster.

Silver smiled and gave Sweetie a hug, pushing her glasses up her muzzle again. "Yeah. Like sisters."

It's alright, it's alright, as long as I can put up a fight.

1:53 P.M., March 10th

"What do you mean we can't be friends anymore?"

Silver took in another deep, shuddering breath before facing Diamond Tiara again. Her former friend was fuming, ears burning with rage and nostrils flared. One hoof poked at the ground, loosening dirt. "What about our special chant? What about 'bump, bump, sugar lump, rump?' What about that?"

Silver Spoon sighed. "I know...I know..."

"Who are you going to be friends with now?"

Silver winced, knowing Tiara wouldn't appreciate the answer. However, she had to know...yes, it had to be known, even if she would most likely never speak to her in a kind voice again. "...the Cutie Mark Crusaders."

Diamond Tiara's mouth fell open; she moved her jaw but no words came out, so she just stood there, staring and saying nothing. A choked sort of sputtering emanated from her throat. It sounded like a dying fish.

Finally she seemed to catch her breath. "You...you're going to hang with, like, them?"

"Do you have a problem with that?" Sweetie Belle called from inside the bush Silver had told her to hide in until the time was right. The silver earth pony sighed as she popped out at the exact wrong time, causing Tiara to gasp and stare, simply stuttering. "Come on, Silver Spoon." She placed one hoof across Silver's shoulders and stuck her tongue out at Tiara. "Let's go find Dinky Doo."

Silver's mind washed over with relief.

It's alright, it's alright, as long as I can put up a fight,

3:17 P.M., March 10th

Silver watched the scene with violet eyes wide. She had never thought she would see a scene like this ever again.

Dinky and Sweetie chased each other, giggling about tag and that they were going to get each other. The grass was soft on her hooves, and the shadow that was Parasol was no longer hanging over her head. Diamond Tiara was out of her mane, and she had new friends, many friends, friends that she had made herself.

A butterfly flitted about her nose; Silver blinked and looked up as it landed right on the bridge of her muzzle. It was multicolored and large and the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

Yes, everything was, somehow, in her mixed up life, perfect.

And all because she hadn't jumped.

"Tag!" squealed a voice behind her; Silver jumped as she turned to see Sweetie Belle, in more ways than one her savior, sticking her tongue out and darting away. Pushing her glasses up her muzzle one last time, Silver Spoon let out a playful growl as she sprinted after her.

It's alright. It's alright.

And all because I put up a fight.

Author's Note:

Well, I hope you people who didn't enjoy the ending of the other one liked this too. I would hope that this was also sad, though a happy kind of sad, if you know what I mean.

~Driz

Comments ( 22 )

Good ending! Personally I am a sucker for happy endings. Although I do have to mention something.

Bad I have to go back have to go she can’t take me I have to fight it I have thrown my life away and now I’ll be the one to pay I have thrown my life away and now I’ll be the one to pay let me go let me go

I feel like there should be some commas in there or something.

Anyway good job!

2806124

Nope, no commas, because her brain is going so fast she can't even put pauses in. Kind of like if a rabbit is trying to run away from a fox - run run run gotta run run run! No time for pauses. :twilightsheepish: I'm glad you liked it, though!:twilightsmile:

2806134

That makes sense. Anyway, I am looking forward to your next writing endeavor! :twilightsmile:

I've been waiting for this for a while, and I am not disappoint. :pinkiesmile:
Alternate endings are always the best endings.

The title for the alternate ending kinda gave away how the normal story ended, which really isn't very good if you wanted to make the ending a shock to the reader.

Comment posted by Magatsu Orpheus deleted Jul 27th, 2013

Yeah, I liked this ending better, thanks. :derpytongue2:
I like sad stories, personally, but this kind of sad story is kind of hard for me to stomach... :raritydespair:
Thanks SO much for the alternate ending, I hate it when people don't do that for their story! :pinkiesad2:
This was a very good read! :yay:

3071496

Oh hey cool you're here! :pinkiehappy: Thanks :twilightsmile: Nice avatar pic too! :raritywink:

(if you could, go to the WF, I want to talk to you there)

3071521
(WF?) What's that? :applejackunsure:)
But sure, I guess...

3071531
OH sorry!
Yeah, I'll be there. :twilightblush:

24.media.tumblr.com/a257ad5165644b1f79354634dfdee284/tumblr_mqo61uYbwk1rj6vd5o1_400.png

This was really good. So sad. I like how you included a rather happier alternate ending, though the original was not to bad either. Also have a like and a fav :twilightsmile:.

MUCH BETTER :pinkiehappy:

It's sad that she couldn't first try to reason with Tiara. Because now DT has nopony.:applecry:

Still someponies don't want to be saved.:unsuresweetie:

And on that note I would like to point out an error I think you made. You said Silver's Hind leg was hovering over the cliff when I think you meant her foreleg. If she was facing the cliff and halted in mid jump it would be her foreleg that might be raised to take the final step, while her hind legs would be poised like a coiled spring, ready to release and send her face first over the edge.

so hooray for the weakness of earth ponies against Unicorn levitation DOMINATION, darlings :raritywink:

2806124

Actually, I think it was meant to be frantic mind racing, almost to the point where everything blurs together in a silent scream. The sound of a troubled, perhaps even tortured, soul.

What were the fifty five bottles?

(didn't read the alternate ending yet so)
Gotta also say that having an alternate ending is just delicious icing on the cake, not gonna care how this one turns out because i already loved the ending to the first chapter. My reaction to this chapter below the break!

=_+_= =_+_= =_+_= =_+_= =_+_= =_+_= =_+_=

Alright, gonna critique and complement the alternate ending with all my might.

Glad you added in time and date... only problem is I find it very hard to believe that all this happened in the time-span of about 11 hours and 58 minutes.... really? Silver gets saved, "lets talk about your problems", cops called, Bitch McCunt gets arrested (cops sadly didn't shoot first and ask questions later here), Silver gets adopted, and they manage to squeeze in playtime all in LESS THAN 12 HOURS?:trixieshiftright:

The story still flowed well here... dispute the ridiculous time-frame in which it all happened. There were a handful of spelling/grammar errors in this alternate ending.

Lack of explanation of what those bottles were? Drugs? Alcohol? To be brutally honest if it was booze: everybody's drank too much at some point in their lives so the thing that should of been revealed is whether or not Perosol Pairofsouls Pinesol Parasol is an alcoholic.... not whether she got drunk for one fucking day.

Slowly the odd beat of the combing began to overpower the steady drum of the phrase that had haunted Silver for weeks. I have thrown my life away -

It's alright, it's alright, as long as I can put up a fight. It's alright, it's alright, as long as I can put up a fight.

Where did that phrase come from? Don't tell me it just popped in Silver's head.... it would've appeared in her mind if she was planning this for some time LIKE THIS STORY INDICATES. Is Rarity singing this while brushing her mane? That theory actually makes sense so can you explain why the formatting is so confusing? Its not hard to use an alt code to put in those note symbols if she is singing. The italics make me think its Silver's thoughts. If Rarity wasn't singing and it was a flashback, said aloud, Sweetie Belle whimpered it, etc: format it in a way that makes sense.

I liked the original ending.... that doesn't mean I hate this.... far from it. Your pacing and the way you handled the situation MADE WHAT WOULD OF BEEN THE MOST CLICHE ENDING EVER TO THE BEST ALTERNATE ENDING TO A SUICIDE FIC I'VE EVER READ.

(I wish the cops "accidentally" shot Pairofshoes Parasol like they constantly do to innocent people)

ON A SIDE N shit.... I left caps lock on. Ahem, on a side note to both of my reviews for both chapters:
I really do like the way you set this up and I really like Parasol Pinesol's actions, character, and how both of these played a huge role in her suicide (or attempted suicide if you wanna be technical with what I'm about to say next).

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel that would delve into how Ponyville reacts to Silver's story (you and I both know this story would probably make the local newspaper/headlines) and the future actions of Diamond..... with her eventually fading into irrelevancy in a matter of time.:rainbowwild:

You did very, very well a most Amazing job:yay:

This was an amazing story.
Could we possibly get a sequel that expands upon Diamond Tiara's thoughts now that she's friendless?

reading this story, I got the impression that the characters were "older" than fillies. you talked about the school days, like they were out of school, or in the past. the original ending seemed rushed, whereas the alternate ending seemed to be more descriptive, and believable, like the alternate ending was the original ending...a happy ending. good story though.

Both endings made me sob.....:fluttercry::raritycry:

Login or register to comment