• ...
33
 106
 7,550

Threshold to the Future

The Conversion Bureau

Change of Life

Part 7: Threshold to the Future

The storm continued to rage outside, the flashes of lightning illuminating one of the sky-walks that connected the upper levels of the two bureau buildings. Against the brilliance, a single shadowy figure could be seen. It was a white pegasus with a black mane and a shield for a cutie mark. His stature was tall and proud, his face stoic. He paused briefly to look out across the city, before turning with a snort back towards his destination.

He passed through the double doors into the east building and made his way down the hall. He stopped just outside a door in the very middle and gently knocked.

“Yes?” A soft, lilting reply came from within.

“Its Silver.”

“Come in.”

‘Silver’ gently turned the knob of the door with his hoof and trotted into the room. Immediately after entering, one could see that the dimensions of the room did not match up with how much space rested between the two neighboring doors. The walls stood at least fifty feet apart, while the ceiling (which was adorned with a particularly large print of the royal sigil) was almost twenty feet high. The room was decorated lavishly, vibrant decor adorned the walls while plush body pillows littered the floor. In the corner of the room, a unicorn mare with a green mane and yellow coat was seated in front of a laptop. She was frantically manipulating the keys with her magic, her face scrunched up in concentration. She looked up from the screen towards the door.

“Ah, just a moment please, the Pr-”

Silver glared.

“I-I mean Ms. Corona is just finishing her preparations. She will be with you shortly.”

The stallion nodded and turned away, choosing to remain near the door and face forward while the mare resumed her work on the laptop. The minutes crept by, with only the disjointed clicks of laptop keystrokes to break the silence. Eventually, Silver noticed movement at the far end of the room, and a unicorn mare with a white coat and pink mane stepped into view, seemingly from nowhere. Silver bowed deeply as she approached. The mare stopped a few feet short of Silver, and nodded to him with a warm smile. Silver rose to his hooves.

“I have finished my sweep of the bureau Ms. Corona. There is no suspicious activity to report.”

“Very good.” Corona replied. “Thank you for all of your hard work as always Silver.”

“Its my duty Ma’am.” Silver replied dismissively, yet he stood just a bit taller, a bit prouder. The change was not lost on Corona who giggled softly. The mare behind the laptop cleared her throat softly, calling the attention of the two other ponies.

“I just received a message from the press, their crews will be here within a half hour.”

For a fraction of a second a look of anxiety crossed Corona’s face, but was quickly swept aside by her usual serene expression. “Very good. I will make my way down to the first floor and wait for their arrival.”

“I shall accompany you.” Silver stated taking a few steps toward the unicorn before him.

Corona shook her head. “That won’t be necessary Silver.”

“Ms. Corona-”

“You said yourself there was no suspicious activity, so I should be just fine. Besides-” Corona turned toward the other mare. “-there is something else I need you to do. Something of great importance.”

As if on cue, the room was filled with a strange thrum. The green-maned unicorn’s horn began to glow with a different color, and seemed to be vibrating. She blinked in surprise before closing her eyes and appearing to whisper to herself. The silent conversation continued for almost a minute, with the mare’s face contorting into a variety of emotions before the glow faded and she let out a long breath. She turned to the others.

“There is apparently a human here already, wanting to enroll into the bureau.”

Silver tensed. “The bureau isn’t open for another two hours. Send them away.”

“Its apparently a special case. Twilight Sparkle herself requested that he be allowed entrance.”

“I don’t care.” Silver huffed. “I am currently in charge of security while Ms. Corona is here, and I say-”

“Silver.” The pink maned unicorn interjected. “Grant her request.”

The stallion balked. “But- M’lady-”

“Consider it a matter of great importance.” Corona entreated with a smile.

Silver stood silently for a few moments before sighing. “As you wish.” he acquiesced with a bow. “I will personally oversee his clearance into the building.”

“Thank you Silver. You are dismissed.”

With that the pegasus rose to his hooves, and with a nod to the secretary mare, swiftly exited the room. Corona turned toward the other mare.

“Please inform Twilight Sparkle that her request has been granted. I am off to prepare for the press conference.”

The secretary nodded and her horn began to glow. Corona quietly made her way out of the room, the door closing itself behind her.

------------------------


“Well?” Rainbow Dash asked nervously, peering at her violet friend.

Twilight opened her eyes as the glow upon her horn receded, and smiled at the pegasus. “They are going to allow Robert in early, but only after hes been cleared by the head of security.”

“Woo Hoo!” Pinkie cheered, hopping almost three feet into the air.

Rainbow sighed in relief. “Thank Celestia...”

Twilight smiled a bit more knowingly than she may have wanted, but Rainbow didn’t seem to notice. Rarity cantered up to Rainbow Dash, her expression positively glowing. “Isn’t that wonderful Rainbow? Robert is going to be alright!”

The pegasus smiled and pulled her other unicorn friend into a neck hug. “Thank you Rarity.” she whispered.

“Of course darling.” She pulled away. “But I only gave you a little push, you were the one who made it happen, and I must say I am very impressed!”

Rainbow Dash quirked an eyebrow. “Impressed? Why?”

“Oh don’t play coy dear.” Rarity replied with a coquettish smile. “That kiss was absolutely breathtaking! It could have been right out of a play!”

Rainbow’s face immediately flushed and she looked down to the floor. “Y-yeah...well...y’know...”

“Oh how romantic!” Rarity swooned. “Two souls, brought together by fate, letting nothing stand in the way of their love! Oh its simply marvelous!”

“Kind of laying on a bit thick there Rarity.” Twilight chided softly.

Rarity pouted at the purple unicorn. “Oh hush. I am allowed a bit of fun before work now aren’t I? Besides, this is a wonderful day for Rainbow! We should be happy for her!”

Hearing the combination of ‘wonderful’, ‘happy’, and ‘day’ Pinkie Pie began to grin widely, almost unnaturally so. Twilight glowered at the pink earth pony. “No Pinkie. No parties. We have a lot of work to do today.”

Pinkie huffed in annoyance. “Well I think Rainbow Dash should be the judge of that.” She turned to the pegasus. “Come on Rainbow don’t you and Robby wanna part-ay?”

Rainbow gave no reply. She was still looking at her hooves, her face bright red and a dopey smile on her lips. Rarity tittered knowingly.

Pinkie hopped in front of Rainbow and leaned in close with a scrutinizing expression. “Uh, helooooo?”

Rainbow glanced up at Pinkie then jumped back in surprise. “Woah! Uh, sorry I was kind of- um thinking. Yeah...”

Pinkie cocked her head to the side. “Well?”

“Well what?”

“The party!” Pinkie cried, throwing her hooves up in exasperation.

“Party? What party?” She looked to her other friends. “There’s a party?”

Twilight and Rarity giggled, which proved to be infectious as soon they were all laughing together just like old times. Pinkie Pie decided it would be best to find Applejack, and the other ponies agreed waving her off as she bounded toward the elevators. It was as Pinkie disappeared from view that Rainbow Dash realized someone was missing.

“Wait...where’s-”

The doors to the building swung open, and the sound of soggy footsteps drew the attention of the ponies in the lobby.

------------------------

The elevator doors slid open and Silver walked into the hall. If he was going to process this human, he was going to need some assistance. He cantered briskly down the hall to a door near the end and knocked. Three knocks, two knocks, and then three more; the code he had established with his subordinates. The door was briefly lit in a lime green glow and swung open, revealing a large green coated unicorn with a red mane standing at attention.

“Good Morning sir.” The green unicorn greeted with a salute.

“Good Morning.” Silver replied. The unicorn stepped aside allowing Silver into the room. It was a fairly spartan affair, with no decoration to be seen and a pair of bunk-beds bearing neat, neutral colored bedspreads resting in the corner. Another large unicorn, yellow with an orange mane, was already standing at attention next to the beds. The green unicorn telekinetically closed the door to the room before taking his place next to his fellow.

Silver said nothing, and instead took stock of the room. Everything appeared in order, but he had not gotten his position by shirking duty. He ran a hoof over the desk that lay opposite of the beds, and lifting it to his snout he found no dust. The desk itself was empty of any clutter, save for a single bit, which he took into his teeth. He then trotted over to the beds and flipped the coin onto the lower bunk, nodding in approval as it bounced back. He then repeated the test on the higher bunk, which yielded an identical result. He returned the coin to the desk and turned toward his subordinates.

“Good. At ease.” The unicorns relaxed their posture but kept their eyes forward. Silver cleared his throat. “I have just been informed that there is a human requesting early admittance into the bureau. Normally we would turn him away, but both Twilight Sparkle as well as Ms. Corona have decided to allow him entry.”

He allowed the information to sink in as he paced back and forth in front of his charges. “While I trust the judgement of Ms. Corona completely, protocol still needs to be observed. In my years of service I have found that a single lapse in vigilance, even the smallest, can lead to disaster.”

“Permission to speak freely sir?” asked the yellow unicorn.

“Granted.”

“How do we know he is not an HLF insurgent?”

“We don’t. That is why we are going to process him to the fullest extent possible. You two will be tasked with clearing him personally, while I will be running a background check.” He turned to the green unicorn. “You will be searching his belongings.” Then to the yellow unicorn. “And you will be searching his person. When I say searching his person I mean search. I’m talking deep. I don’t want a single inch of him, inside or out, to go unchecked.” The yellow unicorn’s expression soured slightly, but he kept his eyes forward. “Is that understood?”

“Sir yes sir!” the two unicorns chorused, to which Silver merely nodded. If he could, he would do all of this himself. However searching an individual for any potential threats required a finesse that only unicorn magic could accomplish, its why he chose these two in particular out of the rest of his outfit.

“Suit up. I want you ready in two.”

At once, two foot lockers that rested under the beds were coalesced in green and yellow light respectively and swung open. As the unicorns donned their security gear Silver trotted to the door, turned the knob, and exited the room.

That human was going to be in for quite the surprise.

------------------------

Robert sneezed as he placed the last of his soaked clothes back into his duffel. He had been mere seconds from entering the bureau when he realized that his duffel had fallen down the stairs as a result of his encounter with Applejack. He had told the others to wait inside while he went to gather his things, only to discover that half of his belongings had fallen out onto the rain soaked sidewalk. To make matters worse, he had almost been finished replacing his clothes back into his bag when a gust of wind caught the manila envelope containing the picture and letter from his family and carried it down the street. He thankfully managed to catch it before it could land in a puddle, and placed it in the dryest, or at best the least wet part of the duffel.

Yet despite the dampness of his clothes, Robert’s spirits hadn’t dampened in the slightest. The events that had taken place not even ten minutes ago were still fresh in his mind, and recalling them made his heart swell and warmth fill his chest.

With a dopey grin he shouldered the bag and made his way back up the stairs. He reached the doors and reached for the handle, but hesitated slightly. This was it. By opening these doors, by crossing this threshold, his future would be determined in an instant. For one fleeting, and almost sickening moment, the thought of turning around and never turning back crossed his mind. He shook his head and squashed the idea instantly. It would not win. The fear would not win. He wouldn’t let it. He gazed through the glass doors, and saw Rainbow and her friends laughing. Rainbow Dash...laughing...happy...beautiful.

That was all he needed. With a deep breath he pulled open the doors, crossed the breezeway, and entered the bureau proper. Immediately upon entering however, Robert was confused. Before him lay two sets of conveyor belt x-ray machines, as well as two body scanners. Was this a conversion bureau or an airport? Then it hit him, these were more than likely security precautions against the HLF.

His wet footsteps had drawn the attention of the three ponies in the lobby. Applejack was noticeably absent, as was Pinkie Pie. He felt a pang of unplaceable guilt in his chest, but it dissolved instantly upon seeing Rainbow’s smiling face.

Robert grinned apologetically. “Sorry I took so long, some stuff fell out of my bag...”

“Oh dear!” Rarity gasped. “Are your belongings alright?”

“Eh.” Robert shrugged. “Most of my clothes are soaked, or getting soaked right now.” He sighed. “I don’t suppose you have laundry services here do you?”

Rainbow trotted over to Robert with a grin. “I wouldn’t worry about it dude. They’re gonna let you in, like, right now!”

Robert blinked. “That’s cool and all but I’m still going to need clothes aren’t I?”

Twilight stepped forward. “Actually Robert we were in all likelihood going to try and have you ponified immediately.”

He felt a dagger of ice pierce his heart. Now? As in, right now?

That’s unfair.

It was. He was nowhere near ready! What happened to a week of seminars? Of preparation?

They should understand.

They should. It was too soon. He needed to prepare himself. How could they do this to him right now?!

You should leave.

Yeah, he should! He should just turn around right now and-

He stopped that thought dead in its tracks. No. You aren’t going to win. I’m here. This is happening. Better it happen now than never.

Your courage will fail you.

I’ll be the judge of that. Leave me.

Never...

“Rob?! Rob are you alright?!”

His awareness returned. Rainbow was on her hind legs, her fore-hooves on his chest. She, and the other ponies wore expressions of concern. He shook his head furiously and looked down into Rainbow’s eyes. Those beautiful magenta eyes. He smiled and held her close. “Yeah...yeah I’m ok...”

Twilight trotted to the pair and smiled apologetically at the human. “I know it may seem fast but there is a good reason. We’ll discuss it after you are properly situated.”

He nodded slowly. “Alright...”

Rainbow fell back onto her hooves, but her face still bore a look of worry. “Are you sure you’re okay?

Robert knelt down to be at eye level with her. “Yeah...yeah. Its just, I thought I was going to have a little bit more time to...just soak all this in y’know?”

The pegasus gulped visibly. “You...you aren’t regretting, y’know...this are you?”

Regret? He searched his heart...his mind...he saw the beast leering at him, waiting for its chance to wrest control of the reigns and plunge him into further despair. He searched Rainbow’s face, her concern, the naked fear in her eyes...

He leaned in close and rested his forehead on hers. “Never. I meant what I said Rainbow. Sure its happening...faster than I thought it would, but if anything this is for the best.”

Satisfied with that answer, Rainbow Dash smiled and moved her head to the side, rubbing her cheek against his. “But...” he whispered into her ear. “I am a bit scared.”

“Don’t be.” Rainbow replied softly. “I’ll be with you through all of it, I promise.”

Her words filled his chest with an indescribable warmth, a warmth whose fires chased the monster away. He slowly pulled away and gazed into her eyes, eyes that were filled with love and mirth. He reached out and caressed her cheek softly. Between them a spark was ignited, a connection reached; the moment was too right. They slowly drew closer to one another, their eyes closing, their lips-

“Ahem.”

And just like that the moment shattered. The couple gasped and flinched away from each other as if hit by an electric shock. Everyone present whipped their heads toward the source of the interruption. A large white pegasus stallion flanked on either side by equally large unicorn stallions, one yellow and one green and both wearing kevlar vests, stood a few feet away. The two unicorns glanced at one another behind the pegasus’ back, and Robert felt his cheeks flush.

Rainbow glowered at the pegasus.

“Oh, hon-es-tly!” Rarity whined, stamping her hooves with every syllable. “Silver why must you ruin everything?!”

The middle stallion stepped forward, ignoring the outburst, his grey eyes peering at Robert with an almost uncomfortable intensity. “As you...already know I suppose, my name is Silver. I am currently the head of security for this bureau. I assume you are the early arrival?”

Robert nodded and stood. Silver turned to the unicorn on his left and nodded towards the duffel. The bag was coalesced in a pale green light and lifted away from Robert toward one of the x-ray machines. The green unicorn cantered to the machine and began to telekinetically manipulate its settings, and in a few seconds it thrummed to life.

Silver trotted up to Robert, which gave him a scope as to just how large he actually was. While most ponies only came to at or slightly above hip height, the stallion before him stood almost as tall as his lower chest. His size, in concert with his toned musculature gave him an intimidating presence.

“Before we continue, I will enlighten you regarding a few rules here at the bureau. First, no electronics. Period. This means no cell phones, laptops, mp3 players, tablets, nothing. Do you have anything of the sort on your person or in your bag?”

Robert shook his head, mentally thanking John for the early warning.

“Good. Second, while you are here you will not be permitted to leave the premises. The exception being your decision to drop out of the program.”

“I understand, and I have no intention of leaving.” Out of the corner of his eye he saw Rainbow Dash smile. This wasn’t so bad, he could do this.

“Fine. Third, no alcohol, tobacco, controlled substances or weapons will be permitted within the bureau. If you have any on your person say so now. If they are found in your possession later you will be immediately ejected from the bureau without question.”

Oh. Fuck.

“Do you have any substances or weapons on your person?”

Robert was sweating profusely. “Uh...well...”

Silver glared.“I will say this again. None of the aforementioned items will be permitted in this building. If you have any on your person relinquish them. Now.”

Robert’s eyes darted all over the place before falling on Rainbow. Immediately words of wisdom, heard long ago from his father, dredged themselves up from his memory.

Son, love is a lot of things. That includes compromise. One day you will find the love of your life, and if you want to keep that love, you will need to make compromises. Some will hurt more than others, and others still will seem impossible. Just remember, if that love is strong enough, true enough, you will be able to overcome anything.

He took a few deep breaths into his charred, ash-laden lungs. He could do this. Besides...he was getting ponified immediately, and the process was supposed to cure all human ailments including the heaviest of drug addictions. He could do this. He could do this.

Robert reached into his poncho and pulled out five unopened packs of cigarettes. Twilight and Rarity gasped, Rainbow grinned broadly.

“Good on ya Rob. I knew you could do it.” Robert gave her a weary smile.

The yellow unicorn levitated a small dish from the inactive x-ray machine, the one used to hold wallets and other small personal belongings, over to Robert. With only the slightest hesitation, he dropped the packs into the tray.

Robert sighed. He knew he was better off without them, that they were killing him, but giving up a crutch that helped carry you through the worst of times was still rough. He noticed however that the tray was still hovering in front of him, both Silver and the yellow unicorn staring at him. Robert brought a palm to his forehead and reached into his front pocket, pulling out a half empty pack and added it to the others.

“Is that all?” Silver asked, an eyebrow quirked.

Robert was about to nod before bringing his palm to his face yet again. He whirled around walked over to his bag, which still rested against the x-ray machine. He opened the duffel and dug through its wet contents, pulling out four more packs. At this Rainbow joined the others with an expression of mild shock. “Holy bucking Celestia Rob...”

“Yeah I know...” Robert replied gloomily as he placed them with the others in the now overflowing tray. Silver and the unicorn glanced at one another, before returning their gazes back to Robert.

“You know-” Silver began.”-there have been issues in the past with individuals attempting to smuggle banned substances into the bureaus. They would try to get them past security, sell them to the other bureau residents, then drop out of the program with a nice profit.” His gaze bored into Robert, who frantically waved his hands in front him.

“They were all for me, I swear to God. I’m a pack-and-a-half a day smoker, and I thought I was going to be here for a week.”

Silver blinked. “What do you mean you thought you were going to be here for a week?”

Twilight roused herself from her shock and spoke up. “Um, actually Silver Robert is going to be ponified immediately.”

“What? Why?”

“Well, um, that is...”

Silver stared at the lavender unicorn before a look of understanding crossed his features, followed shortly by disdain. “I see. Very well, but I will need to speak with you at length Lady Sparkle.”

Twilight’s ears folded down and she nodded dejectedly. Robert looked back and forth between the two ponies in confusion. Was she not supposed to tell him about his condition? Silver turned to the yellow unicorn. “Place those aside for now, we will have maintenance incinerate them.” He turned back to Rob.

“Where was I...oh yes; the rules. The three aforementioned guidelines are the most important. Obviously things like violence or gross misconduct will also have you ejected. You will receive a pamphlet detailing more. Now, remove any metal objects from your pockets and place them within this tray.”

Robert found a now empty tray floating before him and he complied placing his wallet and keys into it. He also removed his shoes and belt without being told to do so and placed them on the x-ray’s conveyor belt alongside his bag. The yellow unicorn, levitating a metal detecting wand trotted up to him.

“Please remove your coat and place it on the belt.” Robert complied, removing his poncho and giving it a few shakes to remove the excess water before folding it and placing it next to his shoes. Once that was done, the belt began to move and carry his belongings through the x-ray. The unicorn then began to move the wand over his body. Finding nothing on his person, the unicorn returned the wand to a holster on his vest and led Robert to the body scanner. A few moments later he was on the other side, apparently cleared.

The other ponies, taking a separate path through the checkpoint, met Robert as he was putting on his shoes. Twilight smiled apologetically. “Sorry about all the fuss Robert, but you can never be too careful.”

“Hey its no trouble, humans go through this all the time at airports.”

“Still, it would be nice if it wasn’t necessary.” Twilight sighed.

Robert nodded, and turned to grab his coat and bag, only to find them levitated out of his reach.

“Pardon the inconvenience.” said the green unicorn. “But due to the nature of your enrollment and early arrival, your belongings as well as your person will need to undergo additional searching.”

At this, Robert felt a strange almost electric feeling ripple through his body. Looking down, he was shocked to see his body enveloped in a yellow light. He turned his head and saw the yellow unicorn, his expression impassive. “Remain calm.” he sighed. “You need to be searched further, in private.” To Robert’s horror, he felt his body become rigid and unresponsive. His arms and legs were glued together by the yellow aura, as if they had been bound by rope. His body pivoted on his heels and slid all the way to a door on the other side of the lobby. The door swung open, and with one last horrified glance at Rainbow Dash he was pushed inside. The unicorn followed and shut the door behind him.

------------------------

Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle all stood in shock, unable to speak. Rainbow was the first to snap out of it and in seconds she was in Silver’s face.

“What the BUCK was that about ‘Silver’?!”

Silver’s stoic expression wavered only slightly as he frowned. “Protocol Lady Dash. I assure you he will be unharmed.”

“Protocol my FLANK!” Rainbow snarled. “What possible reason do you have to put him through this?!” She shot a hoof toward the green unicorn, who was magically removing all the contents from Robert’s bag and sorting through them.

“Precaution. Hes being allowed early admittance during a particularly dangerous time. We need to be absolutely sure he isn’t connected to the HLF.”

From across the lobby a muffled yell could be heard. Followed by monotone instructions to remain calm.

“He isn’t!” Rainbow screeched, her rapidly fraying nerves made all the worse by Robert’s scream. “I’ve known him for months! We hang out all the time!”

“Be that as it may, protocol is protocol. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a background check to run.” With that, Silver trotted to the collection tray and took Robert’s wallet into his mouth before cantering toward the security office.

Rainbow was shaking violently, her face red with rage. Rarity trotted over to her and gently patted her on the back. “Calm down love. Calm. Down. Robert will be fine.”

“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!!”

“Sir. Please remain calm. It will be over soon.”

“What are you...no. NO. OH GOD JESUS WHY?!”

It took both Twilight and Rarity to magically restrain Rainbow from blasting her way into the room to try and rescue Robert. This went on for roughly a minute longer before the door swung open, revealing a shaking, traumatized Robert and a weary yellow unicorn. The two slowly made there way back to the group, with Robert walking in apparent discomfort.

“Look, if its any consolation man I didn’t want to do that either. Orders are orders.” said the yellow unicorn apologetically.

Robert merely nodded, his expression vacant. Rarity and Twilight released their hold on Rainbow who barrelled into Robert, almost knocking him over.

“Are you alright?! Rob?! Speak to me!” she cried, clutching him desperately.

“Fine.” Robert replied hollowly. “I’m...fine...”

“What happened to you in there?!”

“I...never want to talk about it.”

Rainbow cast a baleful glare at the yellow unicorn who sighed. “I had to do a...thorough search using magic. Silver’s orders.” he glanced at the green unicorn. “Hes clean by the way.”

“Yep, nothing here either.” the other security officer replied, placing Robert’s belongings back into his duffel.

Rainbow glared down the hall. “That Celestia-damned-”

“Rainbow.” Robert interjected. “Really, I’m alright.” He ran a hand through her mane affectionately before placing her on the ground.

The pegasus cast a worried gaze at Robert before sighing. “Are you sure?”

Robert peered off into space. “I could sure use a smoke right now. Lets leave it at that.”

Twilight winced at Robert’s pain. “I retract my previous comment. Sometimes...you can be too careful.”

“Indeed.” Rarity agreed with a nod.

Robert shuffled over to his belongings, and replaced his belt around his waist. He reached for his keys and wallet only to notice that the later was missing. The human turned to the green unicorn, who shrugged. “Silver took it for a background check.”

“Of course he did.” Robert said with a sarcastic chuckle as he ran his fingers through his hair. The human was clearly at wits end, and Rainbow was about to try and comfort him when the clopping of hoof beats announced Silver’s return. Robert’s wallet was still in his teeth, and he had a folder tucked under his left foreleg. He mouth-threw the wallet to the human, who caught it ease and placed it in his back pocket.

Immediately, the green and yellow unicorns stood at attention side by side. “Sir, he has no contraband in his possession.” The yellow unicorn reported.

“Fine.” Silver acknowledged. He turned to Robert. “For all intents and purposes you are clear. I do however have a few questions for you, which will need to be asked in private.”

Rainbow was about to protest when Robert gently laid a hand on her head. “Its alright Dash. I’ll be fine. You guys should head over to the ponification rooms. Ill met you there when this is done.”

“But-” Her protest was cut short by a finger on her lips.

“I’ll be fine.” the human repeated before bending down, with a bit of difficulty, to peck her on the cheek. Rainbow’s face flushed deeply as she turned away. “Alright...” she acquiesced.

“Your belongings will be waiting for you once you undergo the process.” Silver said with a nod towards the yellow unicorn, who levitated Robert’s bag and coat off of a nearby table. He gestured to Robert and the green unicorn to follow him and together they made their way down the hall out of the lobby.

------------------------

They walked in silence through the building’s many corridors. Robert eventually lost track as they made their way down stair cases, hallways, and passages. Eventually, they reached a solid steel door, which the green unicorn opened. Silver turned to Robert and nodded towards the open room. With a sigh, Robert complied and strode inside.

The room was slate gray, with only a steel table, a chair, and a bright overhanging light being its only furnishings. It was an interrogation room right out of an NYPD precinct.

‘From bad to worse. Perfect.’ Robert thought gloomily as he made his way to the table. Behind him, the door shut with a loud metallic thud as the two ponies took their places across the table from him.

“Please, have a seat.” Silver offered motioning towards the chair.

Robert eyed it hesitantly. “I think I’ll stand.”

“Suit yourself.” Silver replied dismissively as he placed the folder onto the table. “Before we begin, allow me to enlighten you about the situation. Ms. Corona, liaison to Princess Celestia, has decided that you are to be allowed in early. Due to recent HLF activity, we must be absolutely sure that you pose no threat to anyone here at this bureau.” He nodded to the unicorn. “Let me formally introduce you to my subordinate here.” At this, the green unicorn stepped forward. “This is Agent Evergreen. He serves under me as my...information gatherer. You see, his magic specializes in determining truth. I am sure you have heard of a polygraph test?”

Robert nodded.

“Think of this as a much more precise version of that. I will be asking you a series of questions and you will reply truthfully. If you lie, Evergreen will know which means I will know. When that happens, we are going to have problems.”

When that happens. Figures.’ Robert thought irritably. He wasn’t going to let this stuck up bastard intimidate him, after all he had nothing to hide. Wait...

“If that’s the case then why the fuck did I have to be searched?! You could have just done this from the beginning to know I wasn’t a security risk!”

“Temper, Mr. Parker.” Silver warned with a smirk. “I pride myself on being thorough. Once this is done you will be free to use the bureau without anymore harassment, barring any revealed information that could refute your previous claim of course.”

Robert merely glowered at the pegasus.

“Well then-” Silver began as he nosed open the folder on the table. “-lets get started.” At this, the green unicorn’s horn glowed to life and the room was briefly filled with a strange ringing. Robert winced and dug a finger into his ear.

“First, let me say that I was surprised to see you didn’t bring your driver’s license.”

“Don’t have one.”

Silver paused and glanced up from the folder on the table. “Is that so? I was under the impression that every human over the age of eighteen possessed one.”

“Well I don’t. Never needed one. Too much of a hassle to drive in the city.”

Silver glanced at the unicorn, who nodded in confirmation. “Very well.” Silver conceded. “Just be grateful you had the presence of mind to bring your social security card and a valid photo I.D.”

“Whatever.”

“Moving on.” Silver continued. “Allow me to verify your personal information, to make sure there aren’t any discrepancies of course.”

“You mean to make sure it isn’t falsified.” Robert spat.

“Yes that too I suppose, but those are your words not mine.” Robert merely glared in response.

Silver cleared his throat and began to read off of the page in front of him. “Robert Alexander Parker, age twenty four, born to Phil and Mary Parker in New York City-” he blinked in surprise. “-in this very building no less! How interesting.” He paused to look up at Robert. “Do you verify this to be true so far?”

“Yes.”

Evergreen confirmed it with a nod.

“Attended PS 114 for high school, and graduated with honors from Fordham University.”

“Yes.”

Again, Evergreen nodded.

“No prior arrests...citations...or fines. My, my Mr. Parker your record is spotless.”

Robert crossed his arms with a shrug. “What can I say? Up until the Conversion movement I led a very uneventful life.”

“Indeed. However most security risks, like HLF insurgents for example, share records almost identical to yours; whether it be through falsified information or just no prior history of civil disorder.”

“So I am a potential threat because I have a clean record?” Robert asked incredulously.

“You seem intelligent enough to understand Mr. Parker. When insurgents, of any dissident faction, need to act abroad it is much more preferable to have an unstained history. It makes them harder to detect, to track or...to route out.” Silver stated calmly, with slightly more emphasis on the last part. Robert merely smirked.

“Sounds like you’re just being paranoid.” he scoffed.

“Perhaps Mr. Parker, perhaps. But as I said before I pride myself on being thorough.” Silver replied placidly. “By the way, would you be willing to confirm the previous part of your record?”

“Of course. I have no prior arrests, citations, or fines.”

There was a pause, and Evergreen nodded in confirmation.

Silver shrugged. “I guess that’s all for your background.” he stated simply as he flipped another page in the folder. “Now...we get to the issue.”

‘Here we go...’ Robert thought wearily.

Silver cracked his neck before fixing Robert with a stolid gaze. “Robert Parker. Do you have any current or prior affiliation with the dissident faction known as the Human Liberation Front?”

“No.”

Evergreen nodded.

“Have you ever engaged in any criminal actions or gross misconduct against a bureau, its staff or inhabitants?”

“No.”

Again Evergreen confirmed it to be true.

“Have you, in the past at anytime, considered joining the Human Liberation Front?”

Robert felt his jaw clench involuntarily. Silver quirked an eyebrow at his hesitation.

“...yes.” Robert admitted bitterly. Evergreen blinked before nodding in confirmation.

Silver’s eyes widened slightly. “Is that so? Care to elaborate as to why?”

Robert sighed. “I was angry. My design firm went under because of the movement, and everyone I knew got ponified and disappeared. I thought the HLF could have helped me to...shit I don’t know. Get revenge? I know that sounds bad, believe me, but I changed my mind immediately when I heard about the violence, the killings.”

Silver nodded slowly and turned to Evergreen. The unicorn’s eyes were closed, he seemed to be scanning every piece of what he had just heard. After a few long seconds his eyes opened and he nodded to his superior. Silver turned back to Robert.

“I commend your honesty Mr. Parker as well as your change of heart, which I assume-” He slid the second page within the folder across the table to Robert. “-is due in no small part to her?”

Robert picked up the paper, which revealed it to be a black and white print out of he and Rainbow Dash walking side by side down a sidewalk.

Robert glared at the pegasus. “How did you get this?”

“Surely you know? Rainbow Dash, as well as her five other compatriots, are national treasures. Heroes who time and time again have saved our world from evils beyond your imagination. However, they are young and lack the maturity such an elevated station demands. Did you really think we would allow them to scatter into your world without any sort of protection? Supervision? We have been watching them Mr. Parker and all they interact with. That includes you.”

Robert grit his teeth. “You never needed my identification for a background check. You probably had one done before.”

“Several actually. None of them revealed anything of actual consequence.” Silver admitted nonchalantly. “Most of what you experienced in the lobby was an act. My apologies.”

Robert felt his teeth grind in anger. In the face of everything he had been through and the revelation that was beginning to dawn on him his rage was starting to boil over. “This was never about the HLF...”

“Yes and no. As I have said before countless times, I pride myself on being thorough. You should be relieved; through the background checks, the surveillance, and this little exchange I can say with absolute certainty that you aren’t-”

Robert brought his fists down onto the table with a thunderous slam. “THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS IS FUCKING ABOUT. JUST COME OUT AND SAY IT!!!” He screamed at the pegasus.

The sudden outburst caused Evergreen to flinch away from the table. Silver however appeared unfazed and didn’t move an inch.

The seconds ticked by in silence. The passage of time stretched unnaturally from the tension in the air. Finally, Silver sighed.

“Very well human. You seem to now understand the purpose of this meeting, so I no longer see the point in deception.” His grey eyes peered coldly into Robert’s enraged brown. “Your relationship with her is inappropriate.”

“Why?!” Robert spat.

“Differing species aside, her destiny is one of glory. She and her friends will go on to do things that you could never hope to accomplish, much less comprehend. You are holding her back.”

“BULLSHIT!” Robert roared. “I came here to be ponified! So the issue of my species is irrelevant! And do you think I don’t know how amazing she is?!” He leaned across the table. “I know she’s incredible, that in comparison I’m pretty much nothing. But, you know what?” He leaned in even closer, his face now inches away from Silver’s, his voice barely above a whisper. “She doesn’t care about that. She accepts me, loves me for who I am and I love her. That will never change. Ever.” With that he drew back from the pegasus, who now bore the slightest trace of a grimace across his muzzle.

The tense silence returned, with the previous exchange still ringing in the air. Evergreen glanced back and forth between the human and his superior as they stared each other down. He had never seen Silver this furious. Sure, to an outsider he appeared to be calm, but to Evergreen who had served under him for years the almost imperceptible snarl on Silver’s lips spoke volumes on his barely controlled anger. The human’s visage was equally intense if not more so. The tension in the room was beginning to become unbearable when Silver suddenly turned to Evergreen.

“Well?”

The unicorn stared blankly at his superior for a moment before realizing what he meant and refocused his magic, scanning the human’s previous words. Finding only truth within them he nodded slowly.

Silver turned back to Robert, and after a few long seconds released the breath he had apparently been holding. His expression returned to its usual impassive state.

“Very well. It would appear I cannot change your mind.”

“You’re damn right.” Robert snarled defiantly.

Silver allowed only the smallest trace of a smirk to enter his features. “You’ve got a fire in you boy, that much I’ll give you. You pass.”

Robert blinked in confusion.

“Really-” Silver continued as he gathered up the folder and placed it under his foreleg. “-I have no right to decide whom she loves. No...I gave that up long ago...”

Now Robert was extremely confused. “What?”

Silver turned to Evergreen. “Escort him to the ponification floor. Afterwards, report to Ms. Corona that Robert Parker has been completely cleared for early admittance. Then I want you to meet back up with Sunburst and prepare for what we spoke about earlier.” Evergreen merely nodded, too confused to give a verbal reply.

Silver turned and made his way to the door, which the dazed unicorn magically opened. He partially exited the room and stopped.

“One more thing Mr. Parker.” the pegasus said without turning around. “I know it was your condition talking...but If you ever hurt my daughter like that again I will stomp your head to a pulp.” With that, Silver exited the room proper and vanished into the dark hallway.

Robert and Evergreen stood motionless, not fully grasping the previous statement. Then, as it sunk in, their eyes widened simultaneously in shock.

Robert slowly fell into the chair he had refused earlier, his previous anger and bravado deflating like a balloon. He turned to the unicorn.

“Did...did you-”

“No.” Evergreen replied, just as shocked as Robert was. “No he- he never spoke about his family. Ever. I honestly thought this was a normal interrogation...”

“Huh.” Robert replied blankly.

Yet again silence reigned in the interrogation room, its occupants too stunned to do much else than process the revelation they just received. Eventually Evergreen turned back to Robert.

“We...we should-”

“Yeah.” Robert replied. “Yeah lets go...”

Robert rose to his feet and cast one last look at the picture on the table before following the green unicorn out of the room.

------------------------

The hum of the elevator served as fitting background noise to Robert’s thoughts. The ponification floors were halfway up each tower of the bureau and they were currently ascending the east tower, supposedly to where Rainbow and the others were waiting for him.

He replayed his encounter with Silver in the lobby for the countless time, trying to remember Rainbow’s reaction. She had seemed displeased to see him, but that could have been due to the interruption of their...moment. Did she not recognize him? Did she not know who he was? Rainbow never talked much about her parents, only that her father had left when she was small and her mother was forced to raise her alone in Cloudsdale. It was a painful subject so Robert never brought it up.

The ‘ding’ of the elevator signalled their arrival as the doors opened. “The ponification floor.” Evergreen stated matter-of-factly. “The waiting room will be down the hall and to the left.”

“Alright. Thanks.” Robert replied as he exited the elevator.

“Good luck Robert. Something tells me you are going to need it.” Evergreen called through the closing doors.

Robert stood alone in the hall, his head abuzz with what had occurred in the interrogation room. If Silver’s words had been true, then that would mean he had gained the approval of Rainbow’s father...which was good. Yet, knew he was going to have to confront Rainbow about this eventually and that set his nerves on edge. He had no idea how he would even begin to approach such a subject.

Fuck he needed a cigarette. Bad.

At some point during his reflection his legs had carried him right to the door to the waiting room. Upon realizing where he was, what he was about to walk into, all other thoughts were pushed from his mind. He stood motionless before the door, his blood rapidly filling with ice. He could almost see the chasm from his dreams superimposed before him, through this threshold.

This...this was it. This was really it. All he needed to do was open this door and-

Your courage will fail you.

He gasped, clutching at his chest. The icy dagger was twisting deeper into his heart.

You are weak.

Be quiet.

You will break.

Be quiet!

You will never make it to the other side.

Leave me!!

Succumb.

His breath refused to fill his lungs. He could feel his throat begin to close as stars filled his vision.

You’ve got a fire in you boy, that much I’ll give you. You pass.

His vision returned in full as well as his breath. He took several long gulps of air and, bolstering his courage, opened the door and entered the waiting room.

“WHAT THE HAY DO YOU MEAN HE HAS TO WAIT THREE DAYS?!!”

Comments ( 59 )

Huzzah! The anticipation has been doubled! :rainbowlaugh:

Another excellent chapter, grats dude. Can't wait to see what comes next, and I promise this time I won't spam your inbox with messages :twilightsheepish:

GREAT the pony TSA JUST what we needed ...We all eagerly await the next chaper :heart:

Alright! Glad to see a new chapter! This one was a doozy! I was honestly scared that Silver was going to end him the moment he said he thought about joining the HLF!

If you ever make me wait that long for an amazing chapter again I will stomp your head to a pulp.

98193 Heck no, i'd rather wait for him to get it right than to rush it, there'll be no head-stompings round here :P

Wow . . . that . . . that was an eventful chapter. Yeah, I'm definately pleased after the wait. All of this happened and . . .

A CLIFFHANGER, OF F***ING COURSE! :twilightangry2: Oh well, that just makes me even more excited for the next chapter! If I may ask, do you have any idea how long the next will be? I'm not trying to rush, just want to prepare myself for how long I'll have to hold out. :twilightsheepish:

An update on Hogmany? This day just got 20% cooler :rainbowdetermined2:.

This was an excellent Chapter. Surprises were abundant and anticipation for the next chapter has been doubled. :yay:

sweet jesus it updated! just dont make us wait that long for the next one, ok?

Your story is the first Conversion Bureau story I ever read; I am so damn glad you are working to continue, and hopefully finish it. Please, please keep going; you are on a roll here, write you crazy bastard, write!

It's cruel to keep an attentive audience waiting so long.

The bit with silver was inspired. You're going to torture us with delayed ponification aren't you? Transformation porn; the teasing never stops. ARRGGHHH!

M O A R!!!!!!

Comment posted by Lord Arcturus deleted Nov 5th, 2017

You are a brilliant, cruel man. Or woman. Blasted Internet... :raritywink:

In any case, I eagerly look forward to more.

IT'S HERE!!!! NOW MOAAAAAAR!

I'll be waiting for chapter 8 :derpyderp2:

Track, Love, Thanks...:twilightsmile:

Comment posted by Shriked deleted Jul 16th, 2013

Awesome! All the suspense in this story is killing me! Eagerly await the next! :moustache:

Loving the story :) Really well written and pulled off perfectly. Sorry if I come off rude, but any idea when the next chapter is going to be out by?

Oh man, I expected a sweet last chapter, and I got so much more. Silver was so cruel, I don't even - GRAAAAARRRRGGHSKJGNLAKJGNFLAKJGN- :flutterrage:
(Also, I hope they usually offer mind bleach with that "through" search :twilightoops: )

Keep it up HP, I want to see the amazing completion of this wondrous story! :pinkiehappy:

:fluttercry: Can we have the next chapter yet? PWEEZ? :fluttercry:

I DESIRE NEXT CHAPTER! :flutterrage:

GAH yuno update?

Robert must wait three whole days. The least we can do is wait a mere...

...

Thirty five... :facehoof:

:flutterrage: Y U NO UPDAET?

Sir. The Awsomeness must continue.

This is the update you are looking for. You will go home and write chapter 8.

Pretty Please?:fluttercry:

Youuu muaaassst feed the voIiiiddd

Is there any chance of telling us when to expect a new chapter, if there ever will be one?

Just power-read through all of this and I must have more? Is this story still being worked on, or is it on hiatus?

Glad this is also on this site, the Google Docs version linked to by Equestria Daily has a bad Part 6 link.

Is this story completed or not? It's been on my "read later list" forever - but I rather not read and wait on a story that might not ever be done, judging by the update dates.

Me thinks that this fic is in a 'coma', the author hasn't been active for over two months.

I've read every chapter of this story and it's amazing! I really hope that the story isn't dead, because i'm still waiting for the next chapter.:twilightsmile:
Thank you for writing such a beautiful story, and I hope you go on to finish it.
:moustache:

Is this story still happening? It's been a long, long time since the last update.

1215789
I sure hope so. This is the best TCB I have ever read. It doesn't have any undertons, the characters are well written, and the human/pony romance is very heart warming. More TCB athors should take note from this story.

First this story goes inactive....
"Well, I guess I'll go read Silvertie's TCB: A Kinder World". My favorite TCB of all time and very reason I created an account on this site.
Oh, the author killed it.
:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:

Waiting for update. Writer will surly update after the end of the world... I hope.

It's been a while since I read a TBC fic, but this story is very nice :twilightsmile: I'll be waiting for the next chapter.

So Silver is RD's dad, huh.:trixieshiftright:

Kudos to you, definitely didn't see that one coming.:twilightsmile:

Came back to read this again after a year, just as good as the first time, but still no update :(

So here I am making one of my first comments, one of the first "human conversion Bureau” stories that I read and I love it. I Hope all is well and I do look forward to your work in the future. I felt a much needed “Thank you” was in order, even though I am still hanging on and hoping you might be able to release another chapter. ;) You really have a good talent at writing these kind of stories.

:twilightsheepish:

Great, just great. Another amazing story :pinkiehappy: Where will I find the time to read all of my favorite stories. Anywaaayyyyyssssssss.... MOAR MUST HAVE MOAR:pinkiecrazy:!!

This story is so good! :heart:

This story is great but I have a feeling that he is not writing any more

One year, Eight months since the last update.
:ajsleepy:
Did Hurricane Puncher get hit by a truck or something?
:fluttercry:

3402400 he had critical cancer in his left frontal lobe :applecry:

3866340
I really hope that was a bad joke.

:fluttercry:

3868483 probably is, i was told by a friend of mine :raritydespair:

WHAT THE HAY DO YOU MEAN THIS STORY ISN'T FINISHED AFTER TWO YEARS?!

Pardon my silly tie in to the last line of this chapter, but really, isn't it time to come back and finish this? I've liked everything so far - except this chapter :derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment