• Published 24th May 2013
  • 3,348 Views, 45 Comments

Derpy's Rainy Day - dragonpony111



Derpy must deal with life now that her little muffin has just been taken away.

  • ...
10
 45
 3,348

The First of Many

Derpy was pawing at the only window in her room while staring out into the rain; wishing she could be free from her confinement and in her daughter’s embrace. For right now Derpy was actually glad it was dark and rainy, as it distracted her somewhat from thinking about Dinky. After a while Derpy turned away from the window and walked over to the other side of her room, where she has a photo of her filly Dinky hanging on the wall; with her daughter having the biggest smile on her face. Looking at this image causes the already depressed mare to tear up as she remembers how this all happened.

Some years ago Derpy had moved into Ponyville with her yearling Dinky, who couldn’t even talk yet. She was hoping for a fresh start as her family disowned her for giving birth to a bastard unicorn, ruining fourteen generations of Pegasi in the process. Believe it or not Derpy came from a family noble Pegasi, known for their pure Pegasus lineage. At first the residents of the town welcomed Derpy and her child with open arms, and even gave her a job as the town’s mailmare to support Dinky. Her clumsiness was the ultimate cause of her situation, at first it was mostly small things such as knocking over boxes in the street or flying into a Pony’s roof; with most residents tolerating the acts since no real damage was being done. The straw that broke the camel’s back though was when Derpy tried to help Rainbow Dash clear some clouds in Ponyville. Everything was going fine enough until Derpy accidentally tried to clear and jumped on a storm cloud several times; which sent bolts of lightning into the Town Hall destroying it in the process. From then on ponies thought Derpy was a danger to Dinky and tried several times to get Foal Protective Services to intervene.

Eventually in a court hearing, after several ponies who were witnesses to Derpy’s clumsiness came forward. Derpy was given a choice, she could keep living on her own but give up Dinky immediately or move into a assisted living home and she could stay with Dinky until the entire case had been settled. Derpy obviously chose the latter and spent the next few months dreading the final verdict; knowing it was more than likely Dinky would be removed from her care. Derpy immediately began to hate where they put her and Dinky, as she was under constant watch and Dinky would be whisked away without notice for meetings with the FPS. The place felt like a prison to her and she hated having to raise Dinky in such an environment; though she never even pondered leaving as she knew the consequences that would follow.

Even with the testimonies of her best friends such as Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy saying how much of a great and loving mother Derpy was, the court eventually decided it would be in Dinky’s best interest to be placed into the care of more capable ponies. The court also assumed that Derpy would be a flight risk, more so than usual; so they lied to her about when Dinky would be taken away. When the day came both Derpy and Dinky were completely unaware what was going to happen. While Dinky was sleeping and her mother was readying dinner a few knocks at the door prompted Derpy to answer. When she did she was greeted by two unicorn stallions, agents from the FPS. In a somewhat angry voice she asked if Dinky was being taken away to another meeting, but the anger in her words turned to fear when one of the agents responded today was the day Dinky was being taken away.

“Now if you would please step aside Ms. Hooves and not interfere this will go as easily as possible. We remind you that this is done with Dinky’s well being in mind, as her mother you should understand.”

“NO! The judge said I had one more month with Dinky! You can’t have her!”

As Derpy tried to block the doorway one of the unicorns casted a spell which pushed Derpy aside and made gravity act five times stronger on her. Derpy struggled intensely just to turn her head up to say a few more words.

“N-NO! LEAVE US… ALONE!”

*snore* “Huh… What? Mommy! Mommy what’s happening?”

“Come with us now Dinky. We will be taking you to your new parents who can care for you better.”

“NO! I WANT MY MOMMY!” LET HER GO!”

Dinky’s mixture of fear and anger caused her untrained magic to flare up and bolts of energy sprang from her horn and shot across the room in all directions. This was soon ended though as one of the agents casted a sleep spell on Dinky, putting an end to her magic and resistance. The agents then left the room floating Dinky along with them and shut the door. The spell holding Derpy down let up as soon as the agents left the room. When Derpy tried to follow she found the door had been locked from the other side. She then heard a voice from the other side say:

“Ms. Hooves, this door will remain locked until Dinky is safely in a carriage and on her way to her new home.”

“NO! GIVE ME MY DINKY! THIS ISN’T FAIR! SHE NEEDS HER MOMMY!”

Derpy’s futile shouts grew tired as she banged on the door, hoping to open it but with no luck. She then fell back onto her haunches and began crying into her hooves as she realized Dinky is gone now and there is nothing she could do anymore. A loud crack of thunder brings Derpy back to the present and she noticed the photo is now stained with her tears. This photo and a few drawings made by Dinky are all that she has left of her little muffin, her daughter, her one piece of joy in this world. She then wiped the tears from the photo and looked at it while softly saying:

“I just don’t know what went wrong.”

Author's Note:

Here you go! Might do one more chapter explaining in detail more the falling out with Derpy's family. Depending if enough people commenting they want more.

Comments ( 45 )

You son of a bitch I was trying to avoid being sad

2622665

You actually Favorited this!!! one thing to cross off of my FimFiction Bucketlist

Thanks so much and sorry for the sadness.

Argh you went and did it you bastard
now I'm feeling that feel

2622687 Well, I appear to be following you, so... might as well read your stuff.

2622698
yeah stay tuned. I have a Snowdropbuse fic coming up within a few days. Hate that godawful fan episode so much.

2622704 hooray
I don't like snowdrop very much

I'm guessing Dinky is placed with Golden Harvest and Written Script.

sorry but I cant possibly enjoy this, you broke my heart:raritydespair::fluttercry::applecry::ajsleepy::raritycry:

Honestly not that bad, I love Derpy, she is best pony, this was heartbreaking, poor mare. You did well on this, I'm impressed and hoping for more. Who is Snowdrop?

2622706
Personally, I hate snow itself so much that it has become a synonym for "shit" in my mind.
Some of that hate just so happens to have rubbed off on snowdrop.


And now you're imagining her smeared in poop.

2622934
Oh baby
that's my fetish
:rainbowkiss:

This is an alt. ver. of Dont take my mommy I take it?

All my feels man. all my fucking feels

2623149

completely diiff universe but yeah

2623483

Sure now ill just have to determine where and to who dinky was sent to

2622870 Snowdrop is an OC pony who has a fan made flash episode and several fan arts. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I have seen plenty of fan art and she is super cute (not that it's hard to make a pony from MLP look cute).

2622687 I'm gonna read it because I like your other stuff, but I'm still gonna say SHAME! :derpytongue2: Mainly because I don't like seeing Derpy sad for long periods of time. But Sad stories are essential in life because too many happy stories would just over saturate the market.

2622687 I had to favorite this! It almost made me tear up (and seriously, you have no idea how hard that is for me because I'll admit it right here I take prozac for depression, so while I'll still feel sad it doesn't show up outwardly so much). It was a damn good story, well written, and while short it conveys so much! Kudos to you sir or madam! MUSTACHES! :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

“NO! GIVE ME MY DINKY! THIS ISN’T FAIR! SHE NEEDS HER MOMMY!”

It is probably inappropriate, but I laughed when I read this. I imagined a little girl playing with her dolls and, with the mother mad at her, took it away saying she was grounded. A little weird, I know.

“I just don’t know what went wrong.”

Man, that one got me. That is definitely the hook, line, and sinker. That is the line that causes the most feels through cognitive recognition to the show's canon.

I have to admit; you got me.

fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/136/f/7/derpy_hooves_dinky__by_peora-d4zzz4t.png

This was so sad :applecry::fluttercry::raritycry:

DERPY NEEDS DINKY AND DINKY NEEDS HER!!!!!!!! Y WOULD THOSE MEAN PONIES SEPERATE THEM?!?!?!? :raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::applecry::applecry::applecry::applecry::applecry::applecry::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2: I IS ANGRY AT THOSE MEAN PONIES!!!!!!!!!!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2::twilightangry2:

The straw that broke the camel’s back though was when Derpy tried to help Rainbow Dash clear some clouds in Ponyville. Everything was going fine enough until Derpy accidentally tried to clear and jumped on a storm cloud several times; which sent bolts of lightning into the Town Hall destroying it in the process. From then on ponies thought Derpy was a danger to Dinky and tried several times to get Foal Protective Services to intervene.

SHE DIDN'T MEAN TO! SHE IS DERPY! DON'T BLAME HER IF SHE DIDN'T KNOW:flutterrage::derpyderp1:

Wouldn't they ask dinky any questions? Didn't they realize Dinky loved her mom? :derpyderp1:

2963502

sadly as in some real life cases the children get no say what so ever.

2970162
that's retarded. They should be able to get a say, it could be their number one source of what was going on. But I guess they might be skeptical because of blackmail and all.
By the way, great story. I hive it four mustaches. :moustache:
:moustache::moustache::moustache:

Hi there. I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much, I have put together an audio version on YouTube.

3120222

epic reading thank you!!!

Everybody help,
LET US OVERPOWER THE DISLIKES WITH MILLIONS OF LIKES AND FAVORITES.
P.S.Brilliant story. Brings a tear to my eye. Medals for you and mustaches.
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
1000/10 mustaches

2970217 My family has spent the last thirteen years with me and my siblings being the rope in a custody tug-of-war between my parents. We all wanted to just live with my mother (which is who we spent the vast majority of our time with). I don't know if it's the same in other countries, but in the USA, children are, in a manner, the property of our parents (although you'll never hear it explained like that for obvious reasons). The reason for this is because occording to the system, children are too young to fully know right from wrong, know what's best for them, or make intelligent, unbiased life choices for themselves. This is why the courts don't go asking the children first. Children are assumed to be (and in many cases are) easily succumbed to manipulation and exaguration. Say, the parent that they would truly best be with were to get in a fight with them earlier that day. The court asks them what life is like with that parent and suddenly life is fraught with arguments and misery. Now say, instead, that the good parent is having money troubles while the other has been taking the child to amuzement parks and buying them expensive gifts to gain their favor. The court asked the child what they think and suddenly, everything is great with the bad parent (aside from the drunken rages that they will sometimes get into. The child hasn't really felt they've been affected by these yet, so it's not really worth mentioning at the moment). This is why the children aren't the deciding factor in most cases. I know it may seem unfair to those cases like this fic or mine, where the children actually know what's right for them, but this is an understandable precaution to protect all the other cases. While this rule did nothing good for me and my siblings or my mother, I don't hold it against the courts (much) for it. I hope this gives you a bit bigger perspective on why the court system would seem unfair in certain cases.

3939740 Thanks kind sir, but I was like, fourteen when I posted that. I've taken my head out of my ass. I can still see them asking the child for straight facts that can't be biased (ex., does your parent drink a lot, do drugs, have they ever touched you, etc.) They could ask the child to give them a STRAIGHT ANSWER on it with no opinion whatsoever, just tell them to say "yes" or "no" to the question.
I think once the child is over the age of twelve, that's when you can get at least a few unbiased answers.
(Wow, I just looked at my comments from when I first joined. Sheeeeesh, I was an idiot...)

Comment posted by NecroLeprechaun deleted Feb 15th, 2014

3947395 That...wasn't even a year ago, was it? Meh, whatever. Anyways, It's fine. I was tired and felt rant-y (:unsuresweetie: Is that even a word? No, it's not). Besides, ...uh...hmmm. Yep, I can't think of anything else. I just felt like imparting a bit of knowledge on someone else. Peace out.

3947974 Well okay. I'll be honest, I know nothing about court systems.
My birthday passed since then. Also I am secretly a dog and aged six years.

This was okay, but it seemed more like a piece of a story than an actual story.

4455380 I've written a sequel to it, if you'd like to find out where i wrote this went after. the link's here

2622857 i wrote a sequel for those this broke the hearts of. go here for it

4490126 Cool. I'll be sure to check that out.

THE FEELS! Take a like and a fav:fluttercry:

Comment posted by LaBirdie deleted Dec 15th, 2015

Full review here, but in brief: this didn't do it for me, unfortunately. I did like Fluttershy and Rainbow speaking up for Derpy, but having Dinky taken away in that fashion and for that reason? I can't believe that, not in the Equestria I know.

8732958
I had a really hard time believing it too especially with princess twilight surely speaking on their behalf

Login or register to comment