Fimfiction Editorial 305 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 66 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 66
Wanderer D
Group Admin

Hi guys!

Please link below blogs you found interesting in any variety of subjects.

Do not post links to stories or blogs about story updates and such. However, blogs that are essentially essays on a story or another, or even your own work, are acceptable as recommendations.

2539150 Can we post links to interesting people?

Wanderer D
Group Admin

2539325 Post a link to a blog that shows they're interesting. Ideally, people that read that and like it will start following said blogger.

2539150 So, ground rules? Episode/Comic/Merchandise/Fanfic reviews okay? Interviews? Non-pony content? Only stuff within the last month?

Assuming we can link older stuff; I'm not going to bother listing anything from Bad Horse, Bookplayer, or any other really famous folks, as I figure they'll get plenty of other people recommending them, so here's a few from those with fewer followers:
On writing rules by Scramblers and Shadows
Request: How I Build My Characters by Viking ZX
Mythologia 1 – The Unicorn Question by Yinglong Fujun
…’cos he has got innate breeding.” by TheJediMasterEd

EDIT: Looks like Yinglong Fujun made it into the first run, so I'll consider that my recommendation for this comment.

My lame alternative to TVTropes.

I'll admit this is probably a waste of space, but the topic is interesting regardless. Still, I won't get my hopes up.

Wanderer D
Group Admin

2539584 Yes, you can link to older stuff as well, I'll probably dig out some awesome blogs from other authors I've seen in the past for the editorial.

I dug through what blogs I had, and this one was interestin' (to hear commenters tell it) :applejackunsure:

No Harm No Foul: Trixieverse Triage

I'll plop this blog on here. Use it if you think it's good enough :twilightsheepish:

Thoughts on Fanfiction and Why I Love It

Feel free to take any of my other blogs on writing as well (I have a set of links on the bottom right of my page)

totallynotabrony has a number of good ones about real life military, for those who write such things. His most recent ones were on Small Arms and WMDs but he's also covered tanks, jets, and some other stuff too.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I was kind of kidding when I suggested my fic rec blogs, but I will link you guys when I have a new vs. post, since those are more in-depth.

And since you said you're taking old stuff, here's the last one.

I'd like to nominate John Perry Suffers The Featured Box for an upcoming issue -- it at once shows there's some good stuff in the box worth paying attention to and castigates the rubbish in a manner most entertaining.

Is Your Romance Consumptive? Murky Number Seven and Fallout: Equestria Show How a Writer's Inconsistent Subconscious Premises Can Ruin His Entire Story by Integral Archer.

I just came across this guy today, and upon checking out his blog posts I come across this gem. While I don't agree with all of his points, he does a marvelous teardown of these two stories, and I recommend any fans of either to read through this.

I wrote this basic guide a while back as prep work for a workshop that I did for a local brony convention. It is pretty general and intended for beginners, but I think that a majority of writers on FimFic could benefit from it.

I touch on a number of topics, from the Classic Hero Cycle and getting started, to characters and narrative techniques, even a few grammar things. Thanks for your consideration!

Laich's Basic Guide to Basic Fiction (for Bronies) and the Budding Author

Here's a fine blog that delves into what's important to focus on when writing characters. I think it would be quite useful for any new authors to read. I recommend it:
What Is a Character

Comment posted by Silver Melodies deleted Jan 10th, 2014

Oh, what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Here's a post I wrote connecting the character of Twist to the dance known as the Twist:
Archaic dance craze or adorkable filly?

Here's one of mine that might prove interesting.
G1 Review: The Return of Tambelon... Or "Lunaverse-G1 Comparisons": Basically, a short look at the G1 story "The Return of Tambelon" and how it compares with the Lunaverse adaption.

I've only ever really written one blog post that's substantial in any sense of the word—maybe that'll change now, though! Regardless, I'd like to toss my hat into the ring with The Genius of Equestria Girls, a blog post I wrote underlining the depth of the movie and how I think it serves as a beautiful transition between Twilight's two character arcs: as a student and as a princess.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I was gonna suggest a blog I just saw, but it's D's, so that would be kinda silly. :B Have my review of Romance Reports instead, if you can stand to publish something with the word "sex" in it. (Not judgin' if you don't wanna.)

Wanderer D
Group Admin

2563611 You can suggest it if you like it, even if it's mine! :pinkiehappy: I don't intend to put my own blogs in there unless they actually contribute something :raritywink:

Rant time! Show vs. Tell: Why You Know People who are Doing it Terribly Wrong, which is self-explanatory and Goodbye to a giant of modern fiction, which is about writing better prose seem to be worth considering.

Chaos corruption Concept and Info is all about how in (AQW) chaos works...made for the purpose of inspiring more crossovers stories with a corrupting alien forces.

The Standard Model of Magic by NejinOniwa is an all around interesting fan-guide to magic systems and how they work. Once I read it, I was able to come up with my own idea for the system of magic in Equestria. It's helpful and interesting to any who like to take more detailed looks into the little things that play a big role in not just the show, but in this case, anything with a system of magic.

I would like to contribute my blog post for Brony Abuse Awareness Support. I'm doing a poster that i want to have feature all sorts of people willing to offer their avatar images or any drawings they've done to display on the poster, along with any motivational and supportive quotes they can think of. That is, of course, assuming anyone would think my cause is worthwhile...

Well, here's the current blog featuring the WIP poster with the people who are helping out so far, anyway...

Brony Abuse Awareness Support Poster (W.I.P Version)

2539150 I am doing a series of blogs about true live mysteries and ghost stories

The old man in the woods 1
The old man in the woods 2
The old man in the woods 3
The old man in the woods 4

I do a few more blogs like reviews and stuff...

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

oh okay then THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND YOU SHOULD POST IT

Also I'm glad someone on this site (who is also an active writer) has a higher blog-to-story ratio than me.

I really like this idea, there is no shortage of intelligent blog posts here on this site, and I'd be glad to contribute a little something I put together too:

Why Do We Love Fallout: Equestria? was a piece that actually made me go out and read Fallout: Equestria to write it. I wanted to see if the reasons people state that the story was enjoyed by so many were true. I then expounded my thoughts in essay form where I talk about why I believe the story is loved by so many.

Well, I haven't found any solid ones besides the ones mentioned above, but here are some of my own on theories and stuffs. Have a look-see if you want.

PSauce: What if Magic Suddenly Ended in Equestria

My one good blog post.

A more neutral look at being rejected by EQD and explaining the mistakes many new writers make from personal experience. Instead of complaining about being rejected, I actually researched what I did wrong and took ownership for it along with reporting my findings. Includes a few writing tips that some might find useful as well.

Wanderer D
Group Admin

2567091 2566418 2564558 2564124 2563842 2552198 2540830 2539584

Okay guys, so I posted a thread on how the selection will work. If you could choose just one of your excellent suggestions for this upcoming editorial, I would appreciate it.

Here is my blog. I decided to take apart this story called Sail of the Vampire, and really analyze it structure and everything else about it. I formulate my own ideas and speculate on what the author might have been thinking as well as give my overall judgement of it.

Please check it out. :twilightsmile:

Yip

Title: Quality vs. Quantity, or: Improving vs. Impressing
Link
Author: Yours Truly (Yipyapper)
I wrote this originally as a thought while writing—very slowly—for one of my upcoming chapters. I notice my personal improvement over a long period of time and look at what I release nowadays, and it gets me thinking "Where would I be if I were more prolific during all of that time?". The quality of writing really quickly would've likely gone down, sure, but, as waterpear said in a comment:

"If 20% of your time gets you 80% of the way to awesome, surely 50% of your time can get you 90%. If you literally half-ass it, you can still get an A-. What's more, now you have enough time to write another A- story. Instead of 100% awesome from 100% effort, you have 180% awesome from 100% effort!"

...That's what this blog post is about. It does not direct one to one way or another, but encourages thought as to whether or not one choice is better for you.

Tough choice, since SilentBelle tends to write excellent blog entries on the whole, but I suppose I'll go with this one.

Adventure Writing, World-building, and the Importance of Questions.

I'd personally generalize some of what he says to all writing, and not just adventure writing, but it has some very good advice in general.

--arcum42

Rant time! Show vs. Tell: Why You Know People who are Doing it Terribly Wrong, which is self-explanatory. It also mentions the times where it is a better idea to tell than show.

How about links outside fimfiction? Cola_Bubble_Gum found this one: When Green Isn't Your Color: Being a color-blind pony fan. It shows screenshots altered to look like they do to people without red color receptors.

Bronystories' Rule 34 Blog Posts(Not Explicit).

He generally touches upon interesting and insightful sociological issues concerning the fandom in addition to analysis of the R34 trends on Paheal.

This particular entry discussed why we may find Ponies sexually attractive, from an evolutionary perspective, and additionally discussed the Bechdel Test in modern media.

Overall, even if you skip the cloppier elements, there are still excellent nuggets of wisdom to be had.

2539150 While not a blogger like most of the others here I still have my moments might try and do a topic for each month or still with comparing the Comics to the show

Continuity from the MLP comics and Season 4

2539150 I recommend Jan. 2014 Rule 34 Update / Passing the Bechdel Test (Not explicit) by Bronystories.

I've never seen such an amazing analysis on clop and why some of us find ponies attractive... so much thought was given into this blog post, that I feel that it is worthy of being shared with everyone. Even if you do not clop, there is still very valuable and interesting information to be shared, regardless.:moustache:

Pony Names

Short, but humorous rant about the show's naming skills

Unicorns

Sometin' awesome about unicorn development

I blogged a question and got interesting answers.

Here's a great blog with video talking about what to do when you feel unappreciated as an author:
Link.
I think it does a fair job of addressing the situation.

It was made very well, and I do recommend it. Plus it'd be nice to include a video amongst the other written blogs.

Edit: Piquo Pie's post below mine links to the same video. We'll just go with that blog post :)

How to deal with a lack of love for your story

This blog is about a video that deals with how to deal with a lack of appreciation for your work. It is meant to help authors who feel under appreciated. It both cheers up a lot of viewers but also helps them to not make mistakes when trying to get community interaction. The video has been well received and seems to be helping a large percentage of the people who see it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 66