• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 2,482 Views, 31 Comments

We Were the Ones You Used to Make Fun of - EpicGuy



Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie look back on their tensioned relationship.

  • ...
5
 31
 2,482

My Pinkie Pie

When Pinkie Pie awoke, she found herself in a familiar cave, sewn across the floor, with the slightest bit of smoke swirling around her strangely tired body. It took all her effort to keep her heavy eyelids open, and it seemed beyond her capability to comprehend what had just happened.

Sleep, she thought through a thick haze, sleep is good. Sleep sounds nice, I should really sleep...

Heaving a deep sigh from the depths of her chest, Pinkie Pie thrust her head into her hooves and shut her eyes tight. All she could think about was sweet slumber, and its warm embrace.

A warm embrace. Her mind reacted quickly, painting a perfect mental image of the shiest, prettiest pegasus in Equestria. Quite possibly the prettiest mare in Equestria, too. How she longed to feel the soft touch of her hooves again, to collapse under her gentle hugs...

For all she knew, the pegasus was oblivious of her unrequited adoration for her. That was a complete possibility.

Beneath her eyelids, Pinkie Pie's irises flashed from side to side, as to avoid the oncoming flood of tears. Her love was so strong, so visible- she often thought of it as an aura of sorts, a perky shade of magenta, that constantly twisted and swerved around her as long as she thought of her very special somepony- how could she not see it, too? Fluttershy wasn't as thickheaded as some of her other dear friends (Not that she meant that in a bad way, though), so surely she'd see the numerous hints she had dropped?

The whole situation bemused the earth pony more than her surroundings, which was saying something about her current mental state. Her breath came in ragged gasps as the inevitable tears came unto her, and Pinkie Pie yearned for sleep to finally come. "This world is confusing," she whined pitifully, "I wanna know what to do! I want Ponyville back, I want my life back, I want...

"...I want Fluttershy. She's all I want now. S-she may not see my love, but that doesn't mean I'll stop trying to show her."

Finally, she saw the sly shadows of sleep beginning to close in on her. Usually she would have fought for her right to be awake- to party harder, to play longer, to chase her dreams some more. But today- she thought it was still day, but her aching psyche wasn't completely sure- today, she didn't give a flying feather. She was in an utterly different region than that of Ponyville, she was frozen and hungry, and her special somepony might not return the favor as kindly as she expected. At the moment, the pink mare didn't know whether or not going on was worth it.

A flash of magenta light blazed before Pinkie Pie's eyes, and despite its unparalleled beauty, she almost began to weep. "Augh, why can't I do anything right?" she yelled, throwing her hooves into the air. "The universe doesn't want me to sleep!"

After calming down some and wiping tears from her eyes, the earth pony took a long look at what had awoken her. It was the smoke from a few minutes earlier, but now with a magenta hue. It seemed to grow stronger, as if the air around it was electrified with an unknown power beyond her own. She fondly thought of her fictional aura, and grinned slightly. "Heh," she remarked, "maybe if Flutters could see me now, she'd really know how much I love her."

Her tail began twitching rapidly, and Pinkie Pie saw her hoof began to tremble against her chest. Instinctively, she sneezed.

"A combo, eh?" she asked the cave's walls. From underneath her rump Pinkie pulled forth a leather-bound book, most likely around since her birth, and flipped to a seemingly random page. At first her eyes lit up with a devious delight, but then her eyebrows merged into a look of pure confusion.

"Huh! It says a tail twitch, hoof shake, and out-of-the-blue sneeze means that somewhere, somehow," Pinkie Pie read, "Twilight's about to do something magical!"

The appearance of the strange magenta smoke suddenly made sense, but before she could question it further the mist pooled together into a sphere and promptly exploded, sending currents of magic through Pinkie Pie's mane.

"IT TICKLES!" she shouted as the magical orb's blast blew her backwards, into a solid wall of stone. Still she smiled on, despite the pain, as was her nature.

Once the explosion became wisps of magenta mist again, Pinkie Pie stole a glance at what was within it. Her eyes widened to the point where they took up her entire face, and her trademark smile took the place of the frown that was there for so long.

In the mist, dazed and frazzled, stood a pony. Her mane seemed to be a little singed, but overall she wasn't in any serious condition. A pony with a coat the color of fresh butter, right after you've churned it to perfection

To be precise, a pegasus.

"Fluttershy!" Pinkie Pie took off at the speed of light itself, a beam of pink following her flopping tail.

Fluttershy rubbed her eyes and moaned, coughing up some magenta smoke and taking a look around. She recognized this cave- the absence of a dragon and its hoard make it a little harder- but she certainly didn't know the pony-like entity that was barreling towards her. It was a bright, almost fluorescent pink, but that was all she could make out.

A stray gust of wind blew the mane out of its eyes, and realization hit Fluttershy like an arrow. She knew that characteristic smile, those eyes that were the color of a robin's egg, the bounce of that fluffy mane... Usually when she saw Pinkie Pie rushing towards her, a smile as wide as a mile on her face, she'd hide under the nearest object and pray to Celestia that she would make it out alive.

This time, she grinned herself and spread her front hooves towards the mare.

"Fluttershy! I've missed you so so so much!" Pinkie Pie squealed.

Fluttershy smiled as the earth pony crashed, head-on, into her. "I've missed you too." she replied over the sharp cracking of the stone wall (And her spine).

They hugged, forgetting about the world around them. Fluttershy’s tired wings flapped against the wall in an instinctive fashion, but she didn’t pay it any notice. They didn't even flinch as a second burst of magic, much more controlled than before, appeared in the threshold of the cave. A sodden unicorn with water dripping from the tip of her horn, which glowed fiercely as the fire within slowly began to disappear, stood at the gate between their fantasies and the real world.

"I hope I'm not interrupting..." she said softly, trotting in and shaking her fur. Droplets flew off her body and onto the floor with a dull pop.

Pinkie Pie was the first to notice their unexpected visitor. "Hi, Twilight!" she exclaimed cheerfully. After turning to a surprised Fluttershy, she got to her hooves and straightened herself, blushing furiously. "Where in the name of Ponyville did you come from?"

Twilight chuckled, using a simple spell to expel the rest of the moisture from her body. "Ponyville, actually. Ever since Fluttershy told me that you had disappeared, I was hard at work looking through a few ancient documents for a long-distance teleportation spell. The author didn't say how to configure a location-" she blushed as well- "But a cave is a better shelter from a storm than a meadow, right?"

"I didn't think it was raining that hard..." Fluttershy whispered, glancing towards the cave's mouth. Torrents of rain flew by the threesome, accompanied by the occasional crack of thunder or ray of lightning.

"Oh, it is." Twilight responded bluntly. Although she wasn't wet anymore, her mane and tail still kept their flattened state. “Just take my word for it.”

Pinkie Pie smiled. "Hey, Twi..." she began slyly.”You must've been pretty worried about us, to go through all the trouble to find a spell and all..."

The unicorn shuffled her hooves. "You're my friends. I couldn't sleep knowing you- and Fluttershy- were missing. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and even Rarity were looking for you, too."

"Rarity?" Pinkie Pie couldn't help but guffaw. "Ha!”

“Pinkie!” Fluttershy reprimanded harshly from her seat on the ground. Her legs were still spread from her earlier collision with the pink pony. “That’s not very nice.”

The serious look in her friend's eyes made Pinkie immediately shut her mouth. "Everybody was worried beyond belief about you, Pinkie. We didn't know where in Equestria you were, or even if you were in Equestria." The dark haze that covered her eyes disappeared, and Twilight Sparkle grinned once more. "Everypony's going to be so glad that you're here!"

"Well, I am." Fluttershy whispered, her voice barely audible against the furious pounding of the rain.

Pinkie Pie turned to her friend, her body language both loving and calm- a first for her. "That reminds me, Flutters..." She took a step forward.

Twilight Sparkle, confused, took a step back. Perhaps I should stay out of this, she thought.

"Yes, Pinkie?" Fluttershy asked, her eyes wide. The way her eyelashes flowed over her eyes made Pinkie’s heart melt.

"I-I've wanted to tell you something for a while..." the magenta mare murmured. Her hooves danced as she walked.

"Go on..."

The petite earth pony's body trembled with love, and she could barely wait to get her words out. Perhaps now, her special somepony could see the aura of adoration that constantly circled her. Perhaps, if she was lucky, she could see the same mist around the pegasus, too. Now wasn't the time for beating around the bush- her love was unwavering, her heart true, and she knew that whatever happened next, she knew which pony she wanted by her side. She was surrounded by two of her closest friends, and deep down Pinkie Pie knew they understood her feelings and understood them.

"I've meant to do this for a while, but I haven't gotten a chance!"

"Mmhmm?"

"Right when I'm about to tell you, I get whisked away or ponynapped or fall or get distracted because we both know that happens a lot-"

Fluttershy put her hoof over Pinkie Pie's mouth, giggling slightly. Pinkie licked it casually. Tastes like buttercream, she thought gleefully.

"Pinkie," Fluttershy said, her shy demeanor slipping away like an African swallow in the wind, "I'm going to put my hoof down, and you're going to get to the point. Do you understand?"

The pink mare nodded, causing Twilight Sparkle to chuckle in the background. As promised, the pegasus removed her hoof and listened intently.

"I love you, Fluttershy. More than anything in the world. Even more than buttercream!" Pinkie Pie responded, bracing for the worst. She heard Twilight gasped quietly, but she couldn't bring herself to see Fluttershy's expression. She expected either shock or anger- possibly both.

Long moments passed. Pinkie gulped. Suddenly, she found herself pressed into a familiar yellow chest. Hooves tightly woven around her body squeezed with all their might, but she didn't care.

"You big goofball." the pegasus murmured. "Getting ponynapped, getting taken halfway across Equestria… You worry me, Pinkie."

Pinkie's laugh was like sleighbells on a cold Hearts Warming Eve, the ones that greet you immediately as you walk out of your house and put a huge smile on your face. A smile that no matter how hard you try, you just can’t get that silly grin off your face.

She couldn't care less that Twi was watching- she knew that the unicorn was probably enjoying herself- or that her mental stability was in question. She nuzzled into Fluttershy's warm fur as she spoke the words she had been waiting to hear for a year or more- with unrequited love, time was a fickle beast to comprehend.

"But that's why I love you, too."

Comments ( 3 )

And at last, it is over. As the description suggests I'll be editing this beast (Plot holes everywhere, oh no) soon enough, but fear not! A semi-sequel to this will be coming out shortly, and I'll be sure to link all of you to it when the time comes. :pinkiesmile:

-Epic

Yay, stuff happened and a happy ending :D

Wait, a few chapters ago... Rainbow and Aj were talking and then Aj blushed does this mean we will has APPLEDASH :DDDDDD? (Huge appledash fan/pinkieshy fan)

Login or register to comment