• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 2,482 Views, 31 Comments

We Were the Ones You Used to Make Fun of - EpicGuy



Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie look back on their tensioned relationship.

  • ...
5
 31
 2,482

People Love to Tell Me No

"Pass the butter, please!"

Fluttershy rolled her eyes and handed Pinkie Pie the half-eaten canister of fresh butter from Sweet Apple Acres. "Don't forget that once the butter runs out you'll still have to eat the rest." She murmured.

Pinkie laughed and snorted a yellow projectile out her nose. It sped through the air like a bullet and hit the ground with a soft splatter. The party pony giggled and another round of bullets were shot, all missing their target. "Silly filly! Why wouldn't I?" Pinkie Pie took a long silver knife from her pink knapsack and eagerly stuck it in the canister engraved with an apple. She pulled down and the knife shot back up with a huge mound of butter somehow balancing on the top. She carefully walked it over to the gigantic muffin basking in the sunlight and dumped her load onto it. The heat climbed over the lump and it quickly began to melt and seep into the grains of her freshly made muffin. Pinkie drooled at the sight.

The petite pegasus carefully picked up another muffin, this one blueberry. She closed her emerald eyes and bit into it gently, as if it were sleeping and she might wake it if she were too rough. She chewed, slowly, then swallowed forcefully and her eyes popped open with a start. She let out a happy purr around another mouthful of delectable muffin goodness. "Wow, Pinkie Pie. These are better than the last batch. And those were amazing." Fluttershy exclaimed. She finished the blueberry muffin in no time and set to work on the next in line, one made with apples bucked from the same orchard that supplied the butter that Pinkie loved so. The pastry pony licked the butter from her lips and smiled, an apple peeling stuck between her teeth. "Wowza! You said the last batch were the bestest in Equestria!" Pinkie shouted, crumbs flying off her lips. She grabbed the butter knife once more and pulled out almost half of what remained of the butter, then slid it tenderly onto the drenched muffin.

Fluttershy squeaked as her hungry teeth mashed together- the apple muffin was gone. She yanked the wrapper from her mouth and blushed, setting it aside and grabbing yet another one from Pinkie Pie's knapsack. This one was filled to the brim with ripe, delicious strawberries.

The two were having a picnic in the park, surrounded by vibrant flora and active fauna- and about 30 other ponies.

After over an hour trying to find a spot large enough to spread their checkered blanket, their calm, quiet neighbors, a couple of unicorns, were replaced with a large group of rambunctious pegasi that tried constantly to make the two do inmature dares and eat the random items they found. Fluttershy knew enough not to do such a thing- but Pinkie Pie had already eaten a plastic barette, whos original use was to put in young fillies manes, a handful of candy wrappers, and a pair of wire-rimmed spectacules. She had also done about 5 dares, including digging a half-eaten cupcake out of a chest-deep pile of garbage. Fluttershy shook her head at the thought.

She soon realized that if you left the pegasi alone, they would get bored with you and go harass another poor couple. So whenever they came over, she covered Pinkie with the blanket and looked away. "Hey! Fluttershy, is it?" A small, ragged white stallion alighted by her shoulder and folded his tiny wings. "Where's the pink one? Um... I know this.. Pinkie Cake?"

Fluttershy's hind hoof shot out and hit Pinkie's waving hoof. The pink pony shuddered, but didn't complain as Fluttershy tried to keep her under control.

The yellow pegasus lowered her eyes and ducked below the other pegasi's sight. "She had to leave. She works in Celestia's Castle as her majesty's faithful pastry chef." Fluttershy mumbled. He snorted and ruffled his wings. "A pony named Pinkie Cake working in Canterlot of all places? You've gotta be kidding me, Flutterpie."

Fluttershy sighed slowly and got her frustration under control. "That's her pseudonym. Her real name is Princess Trinket."

Another pegasus landed next to the white one, this one the same color of the apple peeling between Pinkie's tooth. His eyes were huge and carmel-colored. "Woah, that pink chick was a princess?! I wish I didn't dare her to eat that stale cake Mrs. Cake left out." He exclaimed, swooning. "She was a pretty one."

The white pegasus huffed and looked Fluttershy straight in the eye. She tried to lower her head but his hoof caught it and brought it up to his nose. "Wait a minute, Flutterfly. Celestia and Luna are alicorns, they got wings and horns. But your friend there didn't have either, yet she's a princess. How do you explain that?"

Fluttershy squeaked and the gears in her head chimed trying to come up with an excuse. "W-w-well..." She began. The rest of the group had surrounded her.

The wite pegasus thrust her head up again. "Well what? We've got things to do today and one of them isn't teaching a filly to talk."

Fluttershy swallowed. "Princess Trinket is an alicorn with her horn ground off and her wings cut off." She said softly. The small pegasus in front of her blinked, but didn't say anything as he took her excuse and through some secret wing language led his posse up, up, and away.

Fluttershy sighed and picked up the picnic blanket. "You can come out, Pinkie." She whispered. There were no pink earth ponies under the blanket. Fluttershy cocked her head and crawled in. "Pinkie Pie? Where are you?" As the tip of her magenta tail disappeared, somepony slammed the top and bottom of the blanket together and made the cute blanket into a knapsack, flinging Fluttershy over their shoulder. "Help me!" She screeched.The crusader didn't answer, just calmly began walking away from the park with the pegasus stuck in the checkered bag.


Love is a cruel element
on cloud nine and in the doghouse
up in the sky
do we fly
to all our strangers beware
do we even dare
to see the future of the pegasi in the alicorn's hair


Twilight paced nervously in Rarity's glamorous botique. The plush carpet purred at her hooves and she was blinded by the glimmer and dazzle of her unicorn friend's newest hairstyle. Her normal purple curls were interlaced with fine sparkles and the occasional blue gem, along with her tail including some blue jewels of a darker shade.

"Tell me again, dear," Rarity began, trotting down the stairs, "what has gotten your tail in a knot?"

Twilight grimaced and she pawed the ground anxiously as Rarity slowly made her way down the many stairs. "Could you go any slower?" She asked, her lavender horn aglow. Rarity was engulfed in a pinkish glow and she was dragged down the rest of the stairs and dropped at Twilight's hooves. "What in Celestia's name was that for?"

The purple unicorn moaned and dropped into a crouch. Stray hairs flew up from her mane and her ear twitched.

Rarity sighed and shook her head. She grabbed Twilight's cheeks with a telekinectic grip and vibrated them. "Twilight, dear. I am not letting you go until you tell me what the fuss is about." She cast her a hard stare. The purple unicorn spasmed, but nodded. Rarity released her and helped Twilight to her hooves.

"Its-its just that sometimes-" she twitched violently- "when I know something big is going to happen- and soon-" she gasped for breath and her eyes dilated- "I get these s-strange t-t-witches."

Rarity cocked her head sympathedically. "How can Mommy Rarity help?"

Twilight's face was flushed with relief and before she could explain her horn erupted in a spectrum of magenta and purple, sparks flying about the store. They spread once they hit the floor, and formed a ring of lavender fire around the two mares. Rarity squealed in fright.

Twilight grunted and the fire seemed to join into one large flame in front of them, flickering wildly. She gasped again and a snippet of the future was played upon it-

It was an abandoned alley, void of life. Suddenly from a shadow came a masked creature that walked on four legs and carried a checkered knapsack on its back. The sack squirmed and struggled, but the holder did not withdraw. "Stop it! Whoever you are, stop it right now!" A soft, sharp voice crackled from the bag. The crusader shhed the pony and walked on, leaving the alley behind.

The flames disappeared and Rarity tried to make sense of what she had seen.Twilight, meanwhile, collapsed in the corner. "Oh my, you have no idea how good that felt." She cooed.

Rarity blinked. She knew the voice in that supposed future. If only she could put the pieces together...

Then it hit her. She grabbed Twilight by the shoulders and gasped. "Oh no, darling!" She exclaimed, eyes wide. "Fluttershy is in trouble!"


Note-
Yes, Fluttershy's lie was a reference to VoodooPony's Pinkie Pie is Actually a Unicorn song. Link here, if you haven't heard it-[url=-www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BEHJmAysuo]Song
I got Pinkie's fake name from a name-generating website. Also here-Name Generator