• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 2,482 Views, 31 Comments

We Were the Ones You Used to Make Fun of - EpicGuy



Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie look back on their tensioned relationship.

  • ...
5
 31
 2,482

Too Late to Go Back to Sleep

The walls were dark and dreary, evoking sadness and depression to those within. The colors were mostly muted, even the brightest of yellows looking clouded and overcast. A single window on the top of the tall tower was the only portal to the real world, the world of plentiful pinks and luscious limes and ripe reds. The night, though mysterious and darkened, was still gorgeous and lucid compared to the chamber of shadows and unpleasant thoughts.

There was only one prisoner of this heartless cell, this sunless solitary that was kept away from civilization. Only one captive, only one who had to face its undivided, unholy wrath. One pony, who, out of a horrible stroke of "luck", ended up being the sole member of the inky palace.

That prisoner was a pink earth pony, with luminous blue eyes and a mane like fresh cotton candy.

That mare was confined to her prison, bound by the hooves in tight rope that scraped her skin and blistered the topmost layer. The dark crimson of the blood blended in with her now foggy magenta fur, and to the blind eye nopony would ever know this pony was bleeding.

"Fluttershy?" She croaked. "Where are you?"

Nothing answered her words- only the silent air which surrounded her.

"Actually- where am I?"

Not a voice was heard.

The poor pony stifled a cry and glanced dejectedly down at her hooves. She was utterly trapped- no way out, and probably no way in.

She winced as she tried to bring her head up so it was parallel with the window. It had no glass, surprisingly, so it let wind and various debris flow freely inside. A cool blast of breeze struck her ears, and they flattened instinctively although her body enjoyed the sensation. It slightly chilled her stinging wounds, and the pink pony sighed in relief.

Suddenly from the open portal came a dark figure- graceful, but so dusky that the earth pony below couldn't tell who was overhead. The wings flapped, sending the pony forward and wind downward. She let out a happy purr and her eyes narrowed.

The figure stopped short at his sudden sound, then flew back a couple of wing beats and hovered above the empty window. It was clearly a mare, perhaps her age, but even against the moonlight she couldn't tell where the mane began and where the body ended. But there was one characteristic available for her viewing- the pegasus' flight was wonky, disoriented, and often stuttered as one wing accidentally alternated with the other one. It called out to the earth pony, but her words were slurred and as noticeable as her mane color. Realizing the prisoner below couldn't hear, the mare began to turn towards the sky and prepared for another getaway.

From behind it came another pegasus, this one much lighter on its hooves and swift. It dashed by the prisoner and the other pegasus, dropping a suspicious object from its mane. Both pegasi rushed out of her view, and she focused on the bird. It was quite special, not only because it was entering her realm but it was he only object that had color- a bright pink, much like her mane.

The bird circled a few times over her head, then landed on the ground next to her hooves. Before she could open her mouth to speak, the feathered friend (or foe) put its wing on her mouth and shook its head. It then did a most peculiar thing- it spoke.

Well, not exactly 'spoke", but it mimicked the words of somepony- a special somepony.

"You're silly."

Fluttershy!

"Like Pinkie."

The pink-maned pony's heart burst with happiness.

"I can't seem to find her."

"I'm right here!" Pinkie Pie ran her eyes up and down her body as her hooves were unable to do so.

"Do you know where she is?"

Again she motioned at her body.

"Really? Come back soon, my friends!"

Pinkie Pie's heart swelled with joy and relief. Wherever she was, Fluttershy was safe. But she was also looking for her.

The magenta mare looked at the bird. It had no intention of leaving.

Sadly, she decided sleep was very important. She wrapped her fluffy mane around the bird, who sighed happily, and both of them fell asleep with thoughts of Fluttershy dancing in their heads.