• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 3,602 Views, 223 Comments

Love, Sugar, and Sails - DSNesmith



An ambassador and a naval officer become romantically involved while fighting sugar pirates.

  • ...
1
 223
 3,602

Epilogue: The Painter and the Pegacorn

Tyria Strudel reclined beneath a palm, watching the moonlit leaves sway in the breeze. Her hat lifted slightly in the wind, but her hoof firmly pushed it back down over her mane and the strap of her black eyepatch. To her right, the sounds of a sizzling pan and crackling fire melded with the gentle breaking of the waves on the beach a few meters away.

Rye was still humming the refrain of The Mountain, the Mare, and the Dragonslayer as he worked, occasionally punctuated by the staccato raps of a food turner on the metal pan. Tyria hummed a few bars along with him, lifting her sketchpad up in the flickering firelight and flicking her charcoal pencil across the page with a swift head motion.

The wind shifted, and suddenly the scent of dinner was carried across her nose. “Mmm, Rye, that smells fantastic.”

“Oh, it’ll taste even better, trust me,” he said. With a steady eye, he jostled the pan over the beachfront campfire. “Just a minute or two longer.”

Tyria gave a habitual glance down the beach to check on their craft. The little sailboat rested in the shallows, bobbing up and down as the waves rolled in. They could likely have bought one outright with the proceeds from the ongoing gallery showing of Lost Reef and the seapony money left over from the wedding; but it would have been difficult to take with them back to Canterlot, so instead they’d settled on a three week rental.

She yawned happily. Two weeks out so far, and she was enjoying every minute of it. Even Rye had finally gotten his sea legs for the most part, though she had continued trying to take them through calm seas for his sake.

“I’ve been thinking,” she said, making another stroke of charcoal on her sketch of the moonlit beach. “Maybe I should get a glass eye. An expensive one, with a magic iris that looks wherever your real one does. Very realistic.”

“Hmm.” Rye lifted the pan off of the camp grill, setting it aside to cool. “Looking for some variety?”

“Well…” Tyria felt her cheeks heat self-consciously. “It’s just... if I don’t, you’re probably going to get a lot of strange looks back in Canterlot walking around with a one-eyed mare.”

Rye strode over with a small ceramic bowl, filled with the best-looking stir fried vegetables Tyria had ever seen—or smelled. “I wouldn’t worry about that. I’m used to strange looks.”

“Oh... I suppose you are. Thanks.” She set her sketch aside and accepted the bowl, digging in with gusto.

Rye lay down beside her, under the palm. Idly munching on a fried green bean, he traced a circle in the sand with a hoof. “I could help you pick one out, if you really wanted, but…” He flashed her a grin. “I kind of like the whole corsair look. Especially that eyepatch.” He gave a low purr.

Tyria smiled despite herself, tugging on the brim of her hat. “And you told me mares thought scars were exotic.”

“Well now I know why.” He leaned over and kissed her. “I think you’re perfect as you are, Tyria.”

She lifted the bowl and took another bite of cooked pepper. “Keep cooking like this, and I’ll think you are, too.”

Rye snorted. “So, how are the sketches coming?”

“Very nicely. I’m going to have plenty of reference material by the time we head back to Equestria. I’m thinking of doing it as a new series. Islands of the Zebras.”

“Destined for the gallery circuit, no doubt.”

She pushed him away with a hoof. “Oh, stop; they only put the last one up because the pirates stole or destroyed half the old exhibits.”

Rye gave her a look of mock-severity. “Now, now, what did we agree about the unwarranted humbleness?”

“I…” Tyria smiled reluctantly. “All right, I admit it. It was a pretty good painting.”

“You're going to be the next Fillyric Church, if I heard that gallery owner right.”

“Now that is pure, excessive flattery,” she said, chewing another bite of food. “Besides, most fine artists don’t get famous until they die.”

“Surely losing an eye is close enough to qualify. A half-blind painter—it’s inspiring, like Beethoofen.”

“Ha.” Tyria stared regretfully at the bowl, which was emptying far too quickly. “You didn’t happen to make a second helping of this, did you?”

Rye shrugged. “I could, but we do still have seven days left before we reach civilization again.”

“Better save the food, then.” Tyria sighed, looking out at the dark ocean horizon. “It’s strange… I’ve wanted to go back home for years, but now that we’re actually leaving…”

He dipped his head in a meditative nod. “I know the feeling.”

“I’m going to miss the isles,” she said quietly, feeling the breeze play across her face. “It’s so beautiful out here.”

“Yes…” Rye scooted up onto his elbows. “But there’s a lot of other beauty out there in the world. The mountains of Sleipnord… the forests of Elketh… the plains of Zerubia… It would be a shame to only visit one.”

“I wonder how many we’ll get to see?” she said, taking another mouthful of food.

“That depends on Celestia,” said Rye, patting his stomach contentedly. “Who knows? Maybe we’ll be headed to Antellucía next. I hear they have a little pirate problem these days.”

Tyria laughed. “I don’t know that I can handle any more pirates.”

Rye chuckled, before looking over at her with a nervous smile. “You do still want to come with me, don’t you?”

“Of course,” she said, lightly bopping his nose with a hoof. “You’re not going to leave me behind in Canterlot while you go getting all the good vistas to yourself. I can only paint the Sun Castle so many times.” She finished off her bowl. “Besides, what if you get into trouble? I’d rather have a head start on rescuing you.”

Rye gave a relieved laugh. “Diplomatic missions aren’t usually as exciting as this one was, you know.”

“Oh, I have a feeling that with you, they will be,” she said with a wink. It was tricky to do with one eye, but she was swiftly becoming a master.

“Certainly more interesting than usual,” he said, smiling. “I’m glad you’re with me, Tyria.”

“Always.” She set the bowl aside and leaned down to kiss him. They lay there for a while, lips pressed together, listening to the sounds of the ocean.

Tyria lifted her head slightly with a coy look. “I have a confession to make.”

“Oh?” his eyebrow rose.

“Remember when I showed you our honeymoon route through the archipelago?”

“Yes…”

She glanced innocently up at the fronds of the palm above. “Well, I left this stop off of that map.”

Rye rubbed his nose against hers. “And what, pray tell, is so special about this island?”

In reply, she pointed over his shoulder with a hoof. Rye craned his head back, and she felt his little jolt of surprise when he spotted the distant outcropping of rock where a tiny stream trickled down into the sea. “Hang on…”

“I figured it couldn’t hurt to restock on fresh water while we’re doing all this sea travel,” she said, the corner of her mouth curling into a smile. “Good thing we already know an island where there’s plenty of it.”

Rye lunged at her, grabbing her with his hooves and tickling her furiously. “You little—”

Giggling uncontrollably, she fought him off, leaping to her hooves. “Race you to the hot springs!”

“Oh, you—” He scrambled up after her, slipping in the sand. “Hey, no fair! You’ve got longer legs!”

“Loser does what the winner saaaays…” she taunted, galloping into the underbrush.

Rye chased her into the greenery. Their laughter rose from the foliage, rolling away into the night as the waves came in to shore.

Comments ( 20 )

And this story comes to a close... Looking forward to the next book.

Enjoy it, Rye, you've more than earned it.

And you, author, I hope you enjoy having completed another incredible work. It was definitely worth the wait.

That... was... AWESOME!

JBL
JBL #4 · Mar 3rd, 2018 · · ·

Well, almost five years later, and we finally have reached the end of this tale. If this is the last we hear from Rye and company, I thank you for this masterfully crafted tale (and for sticking with it all these years). If there are more stories in the future, I eagerly look forward to them (though I hope they won't take another five years!).

Thank you !!!
That was amazing journey and this is amazing story !
:twilightsmile:

sorry if anyone got a chapter bump, I apparently fatfingered the unpublish button on one earlier and had to republish it. phone browsing is not ideal.

This has been an absolute joy to read. If the author is done with this series, then i am pleased with the ending.
If the author writes more, then i will be thrilled.

Well, that explains why "Rye Strudel" sounds familiar. Read the prequel several months ago.

And like its prequel, another fantastic read. Not much else to say than looking forward to the next installment. Have you thought about making this and its prequel available via Lulu or something like it?

9030606
Glad you liked it! To answer your question, no. Publishing fanfic, even through a vanity press, is a very murky legal gray area I have no interest in getting involved in. I do wish that Fimfic's epub function worked a little better, though.

I finally got around to reading the last 5 chapters. I was a little lost (especially with all the local’s names) but I’m glad I finished it and I found the ending to be very satisfying.

I'd started the prequel, is completion advised before I get to far into this?

9674344
not 100% necessary, but it will spoil a lot of the plot points of the first one.

Read this.
Freaking loved it.
Now I'll try to get to the prequel.

Fantastic sequel to an already amazing story. There's so much awesome action and adventure, you just can't put it down. Top notch work, thoroughly enjoyable.

I am a massive, massive fan of the original story, and I would have been aaaaall over this one if I hadn't happened to randomly stop reading fanfiction for a few years. I'm so happy I found it now, all this time later! It is a truly wonderful followup : D

It feels like just the right way to continue Rye's story - the stakes are initially lower, but grow to be even higher (arguably) for him specifically; the villain wants to do evil onto him above anyone else, he gains a marefriend to lose, and the supporting cast can all be placed in the drama somewhere that is directly related to him or his actions (or absence). And due to the new romace angle, this story feels more mature, too - and so does Rye as a character.

I love how "ordinary" Tyria is. Or rather, how relatable she is, and that we get to discover things to love about her right alongside Rye. And I love that Rye is the kind of pony who would fall for somepony specifically because of those discoveries; he just loves finding out what is inside people's hearts, and that he finds the act of expressing those deeper desires to be beautiful in and on itself. Now there's an admirable character trait!

Is it just me, of have you been growing steadily more nuanced in your character writing? I ask because I notice how complex Tyria and Rye have become, especially right before the finale. And I must say, what a finale! I must admit I didn't quite see how this final fight could possibly be as gripping as the Battle of Canterlot, but what it lacks in action (compared to the Battle of Canterlot, that is; it's still chock-full of action), you make up for with character crises for both Tyria and Rye - and they are just as intense to read, if not even more so! Not to mention the downright chilling looks into Breyr's mind - that was unexpected, but welcome ^^

Going back to Rye's character arc for a moment, though - I wish Rye could have had more of a unique one this time around. Him needing to step out of his mother's shadow, to place value on himself that he can truly rest upon in moments of doubt - it's fine, but I feel like it's very similar to his arc in AoWaS. Not a huge complaint, though - it's still realistic, and therefore, hugely compelling, to watch him base his hope and self-worth on Tyria, and then have it been yanked away from him - twice!

I will say your pacing is a bit poorer this time around, but I think the only reason I'm saying that is that AoWaS's pacing was so dangerously good - Sisters, that thing is a page-turner! Rye and Tyria's way of tearing through all of New Phoenixia's problems felt especially rushed. But then again, the worldbuilding of Old Phoenixia was delicious, not no mention cleverly baked into the plot at large at several points, so again, not a huge complaint : )

All in all, you have once again given me rush after rush, leaving me all but breathless as the final battle of the climax came to its truly satisfying end. Your ability to paint a huge, interweaving tapestry of multifaceted characters and believable cultures, moving across the literal map with their own agendas, moving through dizzying highs and crushing lows, and having them all come together in a single, truly epic showdown at the end, makes for some grade A reading! Thank you for making such a worthy successor to one of my favorite fanfictions of all time <3

I read this before the first story,(Im a sucker for romance, spoilers for the first story be damned!) and I just wanna say that this story and its predecessor are the most underrated fics I have ever read in this site.

I don't know if you still use the site, but I really hope you do and see this, because this story and its predecessor are straight up fire. Some of my absolute favorite works on the site, and a great example that grim stories (especially Wing and Steel) don't have to be grimdark.

Login or register to comment