• Published 1st Mar 2013
  • 13,805 Views, 62 Comments

The Secret of Smarty Pants - Rough_Draft



What do the Elements of Harmony and the fate of Equestria have to do with Twilight's old doll? More than she ever imagined!

  • ...
2
 62
 13,805

A Time To Mend

Fifteen – A Time to Mend

“Ahh!” The collective sigh echoed through the spa as everypony settled into the relaxing embrace of the mud bath. Crystal Ponies attended to their needs, bringing drinks and snacks on carefully balanced trays. The staff seemed especially anxious to provide whatever the “Heroic Six” required.

“We’re fine, thank you,” said Cadance. She rested near the left of the bath next to Twilight and Rarity, who were getting their hooves polished in the meantime. The others were chatting and having their manes done. It was the least Cadance could offer them after their harrowing time in captivity.

“Your Highness,” said another Crystal Pony. She bowed, her sparkling white mane touching the floor as she did. “I bring a letter from the Princesses of Canterlot.”

Cadance considered it, but when she looked at her friends, she figured it could wait. Though Shining Armor was leading the guard in a search for changelings who’d been separated from the swarm, the hostilities had been over for almost a day.

The changelings who’d grabbed every doll had left the Crystal Empire peacefully, mostly retreating to the Old Forest. Armed with the Element of Patience, Shining Armor had escorted them to the woods himself. And after he’d been reunited with his mate Ichor, Wriggler had been allowed to join them, taking a leadership role in the absence of their queen.

Cadance hadn’t heard what happened to Chrysalis. On this otherwise perfect day, it was the only thing weighing heavy on her mind.


My dear Princess Cadance and friends,

We are pleased to announce that the war with the changelings has been successfully averted. Queen Chrysalis has been stripped of her power and now resides in Canterlot under heavy guard. She will be treated fairly, though she will not be allowed contact with anypony other than her guards, and should she attempt to trick us into letting her out, we have Discord to see through her deceptions and keep her in line.

As for the Changeling Nation, we have begun negotiations with a handful of veterans known as Wriggler and Ichor. They have formed an Interim Council to lead the swarm until a new queen is chosen. Although we have offered them a place in Equestria, they assure us they will be returning to Morphopolis shortly. Nonetheless, good relations are on the rise and we believe that the dolls your tailors created on the eve of battle will soon be our country’s largest export.

It is our wish that all eight ponies who wield the Elements of Harmony should come to Canterlot as soon as you are able. We look forward to your formal presentation to the entire court.

Sincerely,
Princesses Celestia and Luna


Sunset fell over the Old Forest. A great black swarm spread out from the trees, taking wing and hoof as they followed their new Council out into the light. Overhead, just to the north, a trio of pegasi-drawn chariots hovered.

Wriggler recognized Shining Armor standing on the first chariot, clad in full battle-dress. The other chariots bore Crystal Pony guards in similar attire, all watching the changelings emerge from the shadows.

Tension was palpable in the air. Though their bellies were filled with sweet love from the dolls they’d found, the changelings twittered anxiously among one another. Would there be a final attack? Some pony treachery to enslave them? Wriggler knew the ponies weren’t capable of such acts, but he doubted he could convince his people otherwise.

However, he didn’t have to. Shining Armor removed his plumed helmet and lifted his hoof. “Hail the Changeling Nation!”

“Hail!” his guards answered and lifted their hooves in a crisp salute.

Wriggler’s jaw dropped. He’d expected gloating or victorious cheers on their way out. But nothing so respectful.

“Dearest?” Ichor prodded him. “Are you all right?”

“It’s nothing.” Wriggler looked back at his mate, pleased at how strong she was. He’d heard of her exploits during the battle and knew he hadn’t made the wrong choice in choosing her for life. The Nation would need such strength on the long road ahead.

“Come,” he said, putting his hoof around her shoulder. “Let’s go home.”


In a twist of irony, they’d given her a private house in Bad Horse Lane. Opulent as any palace, with a fountain and well-kept gardens. Guards chosen from Princess Luna’s personal cadre had been assigned to guard the perimeter. Though small, it seemed as majestic as any palace.

Chrysalis loathed it. The whole place reeked of ponies. And it was all the more grating to live here when she could never again see the barren beauty of Morphopolis. That traitor Wriggler was being treated more like royalty than she was. Where was the justice in that?

She paced her new den, kicking at the furniture whenever she passed by. When that grew tiring, Chrysalis took to slamming her hooves against the floor in desperation.

She’d have to get out. Even if it meant facing down that demon Discord, she’d do it. Maybe not soon, but she could be patient. She’d make every last princess in Equestria suffer for this. They’d all played a part in bringing her low. All she’d have to do was return the favor…

Somepony opened her front door. Chrysalis waited in the den as one of the guards entered. He was a strong-built pegasus named Captain Night Watch. He seemed handsome despite the bat-like armor he wore.

“Forgive the disturbance, Your Majesty,” he said in a low hiss, “but this just arrived for you.” From out of his saddlebag, he took a small brown bundle and laid it at the former queen’s hooves.

Chrysalis sneered. “Very well. Are you expecting a reward for this good deed? Because you won’t get one. Now get out!”

The pegasus bowed his head and quickly backed out of the room. Chrysalis waited until she heard the door close. Then she furiously tore open the package.

It was a pair of dolls. A felt pink pony with a horn and wings, and a cotton white pony in a red guard’s uniform.

Cadance and Shining Armor. Oh, how Celestia loved to mock her. The stories of her legendary generosity were just that—stories. None of her subjects knew how cruel their princess could be.

There was a note as well. Chrysalis lowered herself onto the carpet and read it.

To Her Majesty, Queen Chrysalis,

Although we cannot give you ponies to feed upon, we hope that these love-filled dolls might suffice. Other arrangements can be made if you so desire. We are always free to talk if you should wish to write a reply.

Sincerely,
Princess Celestia

Chrysalis’s horn glowed as she crumpled up the note and tossed it into the corner. That old mare had some gall, all right.

Still, she couldn’t help looking over at the dolls. With a cautious hoof, she prodded the pink one’s mane.

The taste was pleasing. Chrysalis looked around to see if any guards were eavesdropping. Then she grabbed the doll with her hoof and held it close.

At least she wouldn’t starve.


With the aid of a magic mirror, Celestia smiled as she watched Chrysalis pick up the doll. Just as expected.

“You know this might not solve anything, dear sister,” Luna argued. “She may feed, but she’ll still resent us for what we did.”

“I’m not asking her to forgive us,” Celestia replied. She kept her eyes on the mirror. By now, the former queen had begun to hold the doll to her chest, absorbing more of the love within. “But she has to be contained. Left to her own devices, she’s a threat to us all. But without her, the Changeling Nation will have to find its own way to peace and prosperity.”

The older princess lifted a hoof to the mirror, almost touching the image of the queen’s hoof. “And I know it’s a tall order, but there’s no reason we can’t someday become friends.”

Luna smiled slyly. “Is your goal in life to befriend every single threat to Equestria?”

“To the best of my ability, Luna.”

“I was only joking.”

Celestia smiled as she turned from the mirror. “Well, I wasn’t.”


“Now leaving for Canterlot!” the conductor announced.

“Oh, those are the most beautiful words ever!” Rarity declared. She tilted her feathered hat graciously at the porter serving her a tall glass of lemon water as the train moved forward.

“Nuh uh!” Rainbow Dash threw her hooves into the air. “The best words are ‘Here come the Wonderbolts!’”

Applejack laughed. “Now I’m gonna have to disagree with the both of ya. The most beautiful words are, ‘Welcome to Ponyville!’”

“Ooh, yes!” Pinkie Pie chimed in. “And then comes the party for newcomers! And then the party to celebrate their first week in town! And then the party for their second week, and the one after that…!”

Twilight smiled as she leaned back in her seat, glad their work was done. Fluttershy’s head was resting on her shoulder as the pegasus took a much-needed nap. After all the chaos from the battle and the changelings’ surrender, somepony had to be responsible for calming all the animals in the Crystal Empire.

“Wow, I can’t remember the last time we took a trip together, Twily,” said Shining Armor. He and Cadance sat on the opposite side, holding hooves the whole time.

“I think it was that time we went to Granny Sun’s house for Hearth’s Warming Eve.”

“Oh yeah!” Her brother grinned. “And you got sick halfway through the train ride!”

Twilight blushed, which got worse when Cadance lifted a hoof to cover her giggle. “Well, I wouldn’t have if Mom had let me practice my healing spell for upset stomachs!”

“Well, you’ve come a long way since then,” Cadance remarked, still smiling. “And not just in your magic, Princess.”

Twilight smiled and looked over at the sleeping Fluttershy. Then she glanced down at the doll in her lap. “Well, I didn’t have to do much. Between these two, they did most of the work.”

“Only because they were responsibly guided.”

“I know, I know.” As Twilight held up Smarty Pants, an idea came to her. Her horn glowed as she passed the doll over to Cadance. “I don’t suppose you’d want to hold onto her for a while? Just for old times’ sake?”

Cadance took the doll into her hooves and turned her over with a smile. “Sure does bring back a lot of happy memories.” Then she used her magic to teleport Smarty Pants over to Applejack. The earth pony nearly jumped out of her seat, but when she saw Cadance’s smile, she smiled back and tilted her hat.

Shining Armor laughed. “I think it’s time we let somepony else have a turn, don’t you?”

“Eeyup!” said Twilight, trying her best Big Macintosh impression. At least it got a good laugh out of Cadance.


Trumpets blared as the doors to the grand hall opened. A line of doves flew in, tweeting a triumphant chorus. Guards posted near the doors raised their hooves in salute. The entire audience turned in awe as eight ponies entered the hall.

“Mares and gentle colts,” Princess Celestia announced, “it is my pleasure to present to you—for the first time in the history of Equestria—the complete Elements of Harmony!”

Twilight walked in the middle of her friends, with Cadance and Shining Armor up front. She’d insisted they go first because their Elements were the most recently rediscovered. Everypony deserved to see them the most, especially with all that love and patience had done for saving the Crystal Empire.

“Let it be known from this day forth,” said Princess Luna, “that the land of Equestria is under the protection of the Elements of Harmony. Let the friendship between these eight ponies serve as an example to us all, and long may they defend the realm!”

The audience cheered as the eight heroes ascended onto the royal dais. Twilight turned, quickly adjusted her tiara, and waved to the crowd. Her friends did the same, enjoying the praise.

“I still can’t believe we really did it,” Fluttershy commented, almost drowned out by the cheers.

Twilight smiled. “And I can’t believe my old doll made all this possible.”

THE END

Author's Note:

I know the ending might seem a bit rushed (my endings need more work, I admit it), but I hope it wraps things up. Thanks to everyone who read, favorited, and commented on my story.

Comments ( 14 )

Epilogue? No? Sequel then!!!
Pony and changeling diplomatic peace treaty, Chrysalis reformation!!!

Wait, why is it still marked as 'Incomplete'? :rainbowderp:

2332957
Probably just missed to change it

Not bad, that was a fun story.

welp this was a good read.

2341592 Sorry if I misled you. But that's not to say I might not have a Doctor Whooves fiction up at some point in the future, maybe on the Humanized MLP group...

Good story, really enjoyed the writing and plot. Will look forward to more by you!

Such a simple and sweet story is always welcome! Thanks for sharing. :twilightsmile:

Good story, but I'm not sure what I think about the eighth element, Patience. I know the seventh (Love) was already mentioned in the trading cards, but the eighth just seems like a convenient way to get the mane 6 + Smarty Pants to the Crystal Empire. Outside of that, the rest of the story seems to work well.

4434405 Yeah, it's really no more than a MacGuffin. Plus I think the franchise includes Shining Armor with Cadance as a bearer of the Element of Love anyway.

Yeah, the ending might seem a bit rushed... but it's a great adventure-story nonetheless. I just love every single piece of world-building, especially when it comes to changelings and their fate after their attack on Canterlot - and this little gem delivered. It was also nice to see a romance brought to life so... subtle. TwiShy was definitely there, some small cute scenes were established, but it never stole the spotlight. Nicely done!

Thank you.

I know I'm late to the party, but I found this story while clicking around, looking for something interesting to read, and I quite enjoyed it! It was a nice little bit of lighthearted adventure. Thank you for writing and sharing it!

Login or register to comment