• Published 11th Feb 2013
  • 2,612 Views, 115 Comments

Broken - TheCloudtop



Something inside Pinkie has died. Only time will tell if she will ever recover.

  • ...
11
 115
 2,612

Chapter 2: Lost on the Inside

Pinkie wandered through the halls of her mind. Searching, looking, seeking. What was the purpose of her life? Why did she live? What was the point in life? Pinkie wandered into the deepest recesses of her mind, the parts that made Pinkie, Pinkie. As she got deeper and deeper in, she felt, rather than saw, a bright light. This light was made up of every memory, feeling and action that Pinkie had ever experienced. In other words, this light represented Pinkie’s whole being, even the parts that she was not aware of. Pinkie jerked in surprise, when the light spoke.

“Pinkie, what are you doing here? You should be outside, fellowshipping with your friends.”

Pinkie just looked at the light, as if to say, “You should know.”

“Pinkie. Why do you stand there, as if this is the end of the line for you? You still have much that you need to do and accomplish. There are many more ponies that only you can touch, and many things that only you can do.”

Pinkie just continued to stare at the light.

“Come Pinkie. You need to see this again. For yourself.”

The light seemed to envelop Pinkie, as it took her to the very center of her soul. Pinkie just stared and stared.

“Look Pinkie. Don’t you remember? The joy that you spread to your family. The changes that you wrought. The dynamics that you shifted. All these things are things only you could have done. You, of all ponies ever created, only you could have spread this.”

Pinkie looked at the light with deep suffering and agony in her eyes.

“Look at the way that your family operated after this. Never again were you and your sisters ever subjected to that crippling lifestyle. You brought about great and wonderful change to your parents as well. You sparked the joy and love that they had lost long ago.”

“Come, there is much more that you must see.”

The Light reached even deeper, as the scene shifted. “Don’t you remember the day that you moved to Ponyville? How excited you were? The passion that you felt?”

Pinkie spoke for the first time since she overheard her friends. “What’s your point? Sure, I might be a special pony, but only until I’m not needed anymore. My friends, what good are they, when they don’t really appreciate me, when all they really think of me is that I’m annoying? What good am I, when nopony see’s me, for me, and doesn’t judge me for me? When everything that I am, everything I hold dear, everything that defines me, is a big joke to those around me? Tell me, what purpose do I serve?

The Light continued, as if it heard nothing. “Remember when you met the Cakes? You were following the smell of fresh cupcakes, and that led you to Sugercube Corner. You burst in the door, demanding cupcakes? The Cakes immediately took you in. They showered you with kindness, blessing you in many ways. They taught you how to bake all kinds of things.”

“Remember when you met Rarity? How excited you were to meet a high class pony? You bombarded her with questions. From everything to fashion, to classical music and plays. Remember how happy she was to find someone that took an interest in her and her interests? You were the first one to ever reach out to her in that way.”

Pinkie winced, as she once again thought of the conversation that she had overheard. “Yeah, and we both know what she really thinks of me. And before you even go on about how I “Touched my other so called “Friends”, I know what they all think of me.”

Anger and sadness combined played out in Pinkie’s voice. “The very one’s that I would have gladly laid down my life for, are the one’s who really couldn’t really think any less of me if they tried.” Pinkie looked at the light, rage coloring every inch of her features.

“MY SO CALLED FRIENDS THINK I AM STUPID! WHAT KIND OF FRIENDS OF THOSE!? THOSE AREN’T MY FRIENDS!”

The Light looked at Pinkie, deep sadness seeming to emit from it. “So, what are you planning on doing then, Pinkie? Shut yourself off from the world? Never trust again? In essence, choose to die? You aren’t meant to do any of those things. You are meant for greater things that you cannot even begin to comprehend. If you only knew what you were destined for.”

Pinkie sneered. “If what I am “Destined” for is to be hurt and taken advantage of, count me out. I would rather die. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT’S LIKE! I LOVED THEM, AND THEY JUST THREW ME AWAY. THEY PRETENDED TO BE MY FRIENDS!”

Pinkie’s voice took dropped to a soft, faint whisper. “What’s to stop that from happening again?”

The Light was silent, as if mulling over what Pinkie had said. “What if it does happen again? That is part of life. It is inevitable that you will be used, and abandoned. That does not mean that there are not ponies that truly appreciate you for you. Look at the positive, not the negative. There is more to things than just what you see. You don’t know how you, and your actions, have touched many ponies lives. The very things that your friends were putting you down for, are the very things that have touched so many. You truly have no idea how much you are loved, and by so many that you will never see or know.”

“So you’re saying that I should just allow myself to be used and abused, simply so that some ponies that I will never meet can be touched?”

“To put it simply, yes.”

“No.”

“What was that?”

“I said NO! That is not worth it. Not at all.”

The Light looked at Pinkie. “What then? What do you plan on doing?”

Pinkie stared at the light for a moment. “Absolutely nothing. I’ll just stay here, forever.”

The Light drew back from Pinkie, as if to her room. “Are you sure that is what you want to do?”

Pinkie’s face was that of misery. “No, but it’s better than being hurt again by anypony.”

The Light started to fade, then black out. Its last words were this: “That is your choice then. I will not force you to do what I wish for you.”

Pinkie just sat there in the darkness. She was free. Free from all it all. Free. Free.

Free...

Author's Note:

The thing that I want anyone reading this to take from this fic is very simple, yet extremely powerful. There is always a price to be paid for the choices we make. Nothing is without a cost, and the cost of some things, once paid, can never be reclaimed.

Comments ( 83 )

I like this. It progressed nicely, although the caps lock and change in text size is not correct with grammar.

2117779 Glad you liked it.:pinkiesmile:

I did say that this is not meant to be grammatically correct though.:trixieshiftright:

Balls to grammar.
I don't know whether to be more or less worried because of this.

2117826 More or less worried about what?

2117837 What about me? This is what I would do, if it were not for the fact that I make the choice everyday to continue on in life.

2117844
Exactly. I've been on that side of the Dark Monster. I know the urge to just give in and surrender.
Thus I worry.

2117860 If I were going to give up, I would have done that long ago.

According to the books I read, she could also have some sort of mental retardation problem as well.

i would like to see a story where she actually is portrayed as having some sort of brain damage/defect that makes her so childish
gfjfgdgdjfgdfjf

The thing that I want anyone reading this to take from this fic is very simple, yet extremely powerful. There is always a price to be paid for the choices we make. Nothing is with a cost, and the cost of some things, once paid, can never be reclaimed.

that aside
i like stories that end with no light at the end of the tunnel
good job
i'm adding this to Misery, Misery, Misery also

2117882 How does this in any way imply suicide?

2117883 Thanks for that.:twilightoops: Fixed now.:pinkiesmile:

I am glad that you like this. If there is one thing that this accomplishes, besides being an outlet for me, I want this to touch someone.

2117898

If I were going to give up,

To me, that implies suicide.

2117904 You can give up on life, without ever killing your physical body.

A scarily realistic story. Very well portrayed, described, and imaged.

2117907
Of course you can, that's why I said suicide is for the weak. You can be strong when you've given up.
i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q714/mufffinpatrol/tumblr_me2tdk5zxV1qcwhkeo1_400_zps6d77abae.gif
Also, irrelevant GIF.

2117916 Now, think about this. This is what goes on in the deepest parts of myself, everyday.

2117922
this i can relate too. I know how hard it is and painful.

That was a good story. I like how you made it, and it became even more powerful for you used your own feelings. Why ain't this featured?

2117919 I like that GIF.

Thankfully, I have never given up, nor will I ever do so.

2117929 Life is all about choices. I choose to live in the fullness of life, the good and the bad.

2117942
good. Because as tempting as it is to give up, it just makes everything worse

2117950 Are you trying to give me diabetes?:scootangel:

2117931 Don't know.

2117951 I grew up watching people around me live life in auto. That is something that I will never do.

2117976 Never watched Doctor Who.

2117983
Maybe you should start. Its really good. And British.

2117995 British things are good. They gave us the English Muffin!

2118014
I can't really, its a television show.. I only watch it through DVD and the television, so I don't know where to look.

2118037dude, I gave youa link on one oy blogs. It was "You wanna hear something" or something like that.

Chapter 1: 1018 words.
Chapter 2: 1108 words.
Intentional?

I really hate to be the only negative commenter, i really really do, but some things have to be said.
warning: this is a lot of ramble, it is 00:30 am and i cant be bothered to set it up nicely
This story is very depressing, yet still manages to lack an emotional impact. I understand that this story is written based on your own feelings and i give you a world of respect for that. But this fic does simply not work as it is, it has too much that should be said and it needs to be more "realistic"

It should have been said how she affected the other mane 6, by only including one and having her dismiss the rest you lessened the impact and importance of the descision.

I have said this before and i say it again, putting depression in overdrive and ruining pinkie mentally will actually make it harder to sympathise with Her. She went into heavy depression and starved herself for 30 days straight because her friends insulted her? Among the insults they even said that even with those problems, they still liked her.

Also, i just reread your comments, noticing that you never intended for this story to be about suicide. Wat? You just made what was a medicore story with a good moral to a depressing story with a weak ending? This again ruined my comment on how much i LOVED the ending line

she was free. Free from it all. Free. Free. Free.....

it is a extremely vague, yet perfect description of suicide. You are free from everything, all responsibilities and hatred, but also from all that can be cherished and loved. All at a price that can only be paid once and never be reclaimed

I get this feeling that i'll regret this comment later, but i want to have said something and it seems good enough for now.2118037

2118283 I don't get it. What are you asking if was intentional?

2118295
The way I heard, this story was less about the story, not even so much about people reading it, as it was a way for him to vent. He posted it here, sure, and he intended for people to read it, but I don't think he really planned it out. Like I said, he wrote it to vent, I've done the same thing. When you do something like that you just let the words flow, and fall where they may. The only reason my venting story ended up half of what it was is because I sat down later and gave it a through going-over.
Ok, all I'm trying to say is to not judge him too harshly on a story written solely off of emotion. Its hard to explain, but in a way it isn't his best work, but at the same time it is. You don't feel so much for Pinkie because the story is more of a window into Cloudy's mind. Something of a self insert without the self.

2118295 When I wrote this, it was solely based off emotion. No thought whatsoever went into this. I wrote purely from the workings of my heart. Thus, it is not meant to be anything polished. When you write from emotion, with no thought involved, it comes out much different.

2118371>>2118386 i know it is write to vent, and i understand that, but i still loke to point out flaws within a story. Many stories have the problem of too much thought and no emotion, this is the exact opposite.

And if this is what goes through your head on a daily basis i would recommend professional help (i have been in this position myself and even had a suicide attempt prevented. Professional help proved to be really useful for me regarding this.)

2118478 This is what has been going on for the last week and a half or so. I am no stranger to depression either. We all have bad days or weeks. Mot very many deal with it in a positive way.

2118489 writing stories about mental breakdown and extreme starvation because of something that is really not a problem?

2118511 Have you ever been in a depressed mood, when it is not normal for you to be so? That is what it is for me. Not trying to be whiny here, but I have to deal with a lot day to day. Being homeless is not easy, and being around the people that I am everyday is not easy either. I am just going through a depressing phase, and instead of just sitting through it, and feeling sorry for myself, I chose to channel my depression into something positive.

2D

There's something to be said about this man, and I can't say it. I'm going through a bad time myself, so I don't really know what to say other than 'I know that feel'.

~Edward

2118574 Well, hang in there. You will get through this.

2D

2118912

I might get through it...

..If you tell me what you liked about Hermadex. :pinkiesmile:

~Edward

2118932 Haven't gotten that far. Give me 2o mintues, and I will be able to answer that question.

2119177 That is a good thing. If there was one thing this was meant to accomplish, besides help me, it was meant to speak to people reading it.

2119190 Well then, if this was meant to speak to me, then it has accomplished its task. I'm not quite sure what was said, or what to say in response, so...

Thanks.

2119331 Well, you are most welcome.:raritywink::scootangel:

Login or register to comment