• Published 22nd Dec 2012
  • 651 Views, 4 Comments

The Fiddler - HeartTortoisePigeonDog



Rarity goes out with Pinkie after losing a fashion show, and meets a very unique mare.

  • ...
3
 4
 651

The Fiddler

"Oh, it's so terrible!" Rarity cried, bursting into her room in dramatic tears. "Intolerable fate; just look at this review from Fancypants in the paper: 'lacks originality--seen better--uncouth--!' Oh, I haven't the heart to read it all again!"

She lay on the bed, pushing the newspaper in Opalescence's face.

She threw aside the paper, took her cat up into her hooves, and wept.

Pinkie Pie's voice was heard in the entrance of her house: "Rarity?" She heard Rarity's crying and called out through the door.

Rarity told her to leave her be, and continued bawling patheticly. Pinkie could not leave her friend in such a state, and, besides, they had an outing together today at the circus and spa.

Pinkie Pie thrust open the doors of Rarity's room. "What's the matter, Rarity? You look terrible."

"So you've heard?" Rarity spoke, pierced with dispare.

Heard?" Pinkie's voice assumed a playful tone, "I saw it!"

Rarity's face fell.

"The clown's warm-up act was amazing!" Pinkie excitedly continued how she wasn't acctually allowed to see the clown practice, but somehow was still able to catch a samle of it.

"But, I see the work you have there," she motioned to a dress Rarity was still appearently working on. "Is that what you're upset about? You can't think of what it needs?"

Rarity was relieved. Pinkie hadn't seen the critizism.

She smiled wryly. "Yes, I just can't think of the right color, or how to put... that... thing in that place, there."

She couldn't let her friend know of her mistake or failure--what would she think of her? The best deseigner in Ponyville failing in a simple fashion show? Rarity had initially not told anyone of it in hope of surprising them with her winnings, but there was now no possibility of that--the fame was not hers, and what a shame!

"Well," Pinkie began encouragingly, "I know just the thing to help relax you and inspire you: the circus is a great place for ideas, not to mention totally super fun!"

The circus--the spa--the outing with Pinkie Pie today; she had been so caught in the melodrama she had completely forgotten!

"Um, Pinkie Pie, dear, I don't know if--"

"Oh shoosh! Pinkie's gunna turn your frown upside down! Now, come on!"

She spoke with such lighthearted innocence and care, how could Rarity refuse? She snatched up a hat and set out into Ponyville with head high, accompaining Pinkie's warm laughter.

When they arrived outside the circus tent, who should appear but a friend of Pinkie Pie's (as if everyone in Ponyville weren't already her friend).

"Hiya, Fiddlesticks; haven't seen you in a while! Fiddlesticks--Rarity; Rarity--Fiddlesticks!"

Rarity, who all the way to the circus had a slightly dejected air, instantly soothed as she gazed at this pony so casually introduced.

She was a rather plain-looking pony, but one with a kind of rural charm to her, not unlike Applejack. Her eyes were a warm and sincere light-violet; her mane and tail plain but well-kept and a brilliant night-blue; her earthy, light-yellow coat betrayed her working in the dirt.

"Pinkie Pie, well, I shouldn't be surprised to see you going to the circus as well. I hear the clown is simply stupendeous!" She warmly extended her hoof to Rarity, who cautiously took it. Fiddlesticks held Rarity's hoof with both hooves and shook enthusiasticly and cordially. "And, Rarity, was it? It is a great pleasure to meet you, my friend!"

Fiddlesticks soon proceeded into an animated conversation with Pinkie; and every now and again, like a beat in a song, pulling Rarity into participation. Each time Rarity seemed almost reluctant to enter. She still felt shame at losing in the fashion show and even decieving Pinkie of her intentions not to join her. However, this Fiddlesticks seemed to act on her like magic. Her good humor and sincerity filled her heart. Each time she was invited to talk with her and Pinkie, she almost lept at the occation to talk with such kind and honest a pony.

Presently, they were seated in the front row.

Durring the circus performance Rarity watced more Fiddlesticks than the actual show. Fiddlesticks expressed such genuine enjoyment that struck Rarity to the soul.

Sometime in to the show Twilight and Spike sat beside them.

"Hi, Twilight; hi, Spike!"

"Why, hello Pikie and and Rarity! So you two have come to the circus, too?"

"You bet! So far it's been a blast!"

"I'm glad to see you two having so much fun."

"Me too," said Spike, "Having fun is great and all, but sharing it with friends is the best!" With that he ate the last of his popcorn, hopped over next to Pinkie, and they both shared in some cotten candy.

Twilight was only just introduced to Fiddlesticks before something seemed to catch Fiddlesticks' attention.

Twilight looked closer at Rarity, who still sat rather dejected but enthrawled.

"Rarity. It's no surprise to see Pinkie Pie here, but you--?"

"A sursprise to see me in a place as uncouth as a circus? Twi, haha, don't be silly, I looove the circus...!"

"You do?"

"Yeees, of course. And would you just look at all the... lovely... costumes," She languidly motioned to a performer in off-set colors and bells attempting to balance on a ball wilst it be hurled in to the air. "And, besides, today Pinkie and I are hanging-out--an outing. We're here and enjoying... this, before we head off to a relaxing time at the spa."

"That's great!"

"And what are you doing here, yourself?"

"Well, circuses are fun and all, but I came mostly because Spike wanted to go. Besides, there is supposed to a well-renound clown performing here, and, if the act is as good as I've heard, I can't wait to see it!"

"Yes, me too...." Rarity then spoke aside: "There sure is alot of talk of this famous clown; I wonder what sort of pony they could be?" She turned her gaze to Fiddlesticks cheering almost louder than all the rest, but undistiguishable from the sea of ponies and their cheers all the same.

Suddenly, hark: hooves beating and deafening huzzahs: the clown has arrived!

The clown only comically grinned.

Rarity's eyes swept the circus and fell on Fiddlesticks. Fiddlesticks was on the edge of her seat, front hooves lifted high, cheering and calling-out.

Appearently the clown has called for an assistant. Lo, Spike has run on stage before the comically dressed stallion-clown!

Rarity considered the clown: "Gasp! What an attire--dreadful! The hems freyed, the leggings off-set against the mode of the wh--" She stopped and gasped, devistated at the very idea of how much his costume looked like the one she had shown at the fashion show. She nearly hid her face under her hooves but caught herself before Twilight could take notice.

She watched uneasy as Spike was asked to do this and then that. The clown had the most curious way of mixing slap-stick, anecdotal jokes, and magic tricks that the crowd appluaded with frantic acclaimation.

The crowd was suddenly silent.

The clown asked Spike if he could pick who would assist him next. Spike considered for a moment, milking the anticipation, and then said, "I know, how about my friend," (Rarity smiled at Spike as he looked in her direction) "Fiddlesticks!"

"Et tu, Spikey-Wikey?"

"Well," the clown announced with a haughty gesture, "Go get her!"

And off flew Spike to usher Fiddlesticks on stage.

Wild cheers followed them.

After some ridiculous jokes, the clown asked Fiddlesticks to dress in whatever she pleased from the piles of costume he had had Spike bring onto the stage.

She came out of the pile dressed as a scarecrow.

More cheers.

The clown proceeded with his act, to great success and acclaim, and all general enjoyment of the audiance--all in all it was a famous performance.

Rarity thought to herself. "Look at all this applause and fame with silly clown and Spike and cheery, young Fiddlesticks are recieving, and all in equally silly costumes. If I had been called on stage I could have put together the most gorgeous costume this crowd has ever seen in a circus, and the fame would be mine; and yet, maybe not. The clown, Spike, Fiddlesticks... it doesn't seem to be the fame they are enjoying, but just having fun, and everypony present is participating in it, all sharing in the joy. If I were to jump up there, dress-up, and perform, myself, I would be the only one enjoying it. No amount of self-admoration could match this warm-hearted performance...." Rarity gazed on at the whole performance. With Pikie and Twilight on either side of her, both of such great humor, and having so much fun, how could she not join in?

Fiddlesticks' clear, honest cheeriness and twinkling eyes acted as magic on her.

Yet, she thought, how could Fiddlesticks not revel in that admoration?

The circus over, Twilight and Spike left for home; Rarity and Pinkie set for the spa; Fiddlesticks, after cordial good-byes, left to attend some matter.

Pinkie Pie hopped around Rarity, recounting the circus in great excitement. Rarity again thought to herself on the character of Fiddlesticks and her dismissal of fame.

On lieu to the spa they briefly crossed paths with Fiddlesticks, who was delivering a package to somepony, as Derpy Hooves, she said, was sick today and could not do it herself.

"Aww, poor Derpy. We should invite her to join us at the spa."

"No, I don't think that would be best: she had a tough delivery the other day."

"Oh. Okie doki lokie... Hey, simply out of bold curiosity, who is the package for?"

"Oh, um..." Fiddlesticks checked the name, "somepony named Simple, in the Everfree Forest.

Pinkie was bemused. "Simple? Are you sure he lives in the Everfree Forest? Does he ever come to Ponyville?"

"Well, I don't really know. Derpy does, however, it seems; she says she's delivered tons of mail to him."

"Huh, I wonder why I've never heard of him?"

Fiddlesticks' perenial gladness impressed Rarity.

With hurried, congenial leave, Fiddlesticks then continued to run her delivery.

At the spa, drumming the table on which she lay, Pinkie Pie said to Rarity, "Well, Rarity, what do you think of your new friend?"

"New friend indeed," Rarity echoed with novel significance. "Pinkie Pie, I owe you a thousand thanks for introducing me to one of the most singular ponies I have ever met. I needed to see such a pony to believe in her possible exsistance."

"You rather like her then?"

"I hugely admire her. I wish I were Fiddlesticks," said Rarity, in near soliliquy.

"Oh really? That's funny, I mean, there is only one Fiddlesticks after all."

"What I mean," Rarity caught herself, "Is that I wish I could be as carefree, it could be said, as Fiddlesticks. When she was up there, on stage, with all the audiance applauding her, she seemed not to notice it at all--"

Pinkie cut her off. "Yeah? Well Spike was certainly enjoying it, and I don't blame him: it's not everyday something like that happens."

"I know, and that's what strikes me so. But in artistic genius, i feel, she may be lacking, and perhaps it is that which can free her from praise or blame affecting her."

"Ah, you would not think her a genius, then?"

"What? A genius? Such a--pardon me--uncouth and simple pony? She is no doubt an amazingly charming, honest, and kind mare, but no genius."

"But, wouldn't it be funny is she were? That Fiddlesticks might once have had genius and got rid of it in favor of something much sweeter than fame?"

"What do you mean, Pinkie?"

"Have you ever heard of Country Fiddle?"

"The great Canterlot filly prodigy of violin? Who made the whole kingdom of Equestria scream in acclaimation of her amazing music?"

"The same," Pinkie said, almost laughing.

Rarity looked questioningly at her, wondering what she could possibly be doing bringing up Country Fiddle.

Suddenly, in galloped Fiddlesticks. "The package is safely delivered. Since I heard you two were coming here, I thought I might ask if I could join."

"Of course you can join," gladly exclaimed Pinkie, motioning to her to sit beside them, "But only if you promise to Fiddle for us, after."

Fiddlesticks seemed surprised but delighted. "I will gladly fiddle for you, my friends."

Their spa time flew by with friendly jokes, anecdotes, and relaxation; in no time at all they were at Rarity's place in company of Fiddlesticks and her fiddle.

Rarity was certainly bemused at it all. Up untill now she thought all this talk of fiddling was just a joke, but she could now see it was no joke at all.

Behind Fiddlesticks hung the dress which lost Rarity the fashion show.

"Hah!" Rarity thought. "How could Fiddlesticks possibly understand the struggle of an artist?"

As quickly as her thoughts, Fiddlesticks began to play her fiddle: a true Ponyville tune, by Anponyo Vivaldi.

**the song starts at 2:15 exactly (could find no violin version, so this is cello)**

Rarity's whole heart was captured by Fiddlesicks' magical fiddle.

Rarity gazed on the cheery Fiddlesticks, and quickly turned to Pinkie. "Who is this Pony?"

"Why, Rarity, you don't recognize her?"

"No, no, I don't know this pony; this can't be who she says!"

"You haven't any idea? Even after we were talking with her at the spa, you still can't guess?"

Fiddlesticks' smile continued to grow.

"Pleeeeease, Pinkie, who is this genius? How can she play this great?"

"You want to know her name? Well, ask her."

"Fiddlesticks?" Rarity looked up at her, imploringly.

"I am better known, perhaps, by the name: Country Fiddle," she laughed.

"Country Fiddle!" Rarity fainted back on to a cushion. "Why didn't you say anything before, Pinkie Pie?"

Pinkie took a rather abashed air. "I have heard your dress didn't go over so well at the fashion show in Canterlot."

"What? Who's been saying such things--?"

"It was in the paper, silly."

Now Rarity averted her gaze, abashed.

"Honey, I knew you must have been very upset, so when we ran in to Fiddlesticks at the circus I asked if she could help me cheer you up."

"And of course I agreed, " warmly added Country Fiddle.

As if suddenly coming back to herself, Rarity tuned to Country Fiddle, inquiringly. "Fiddlesticks. How, after so much success when you were a filly--how could you give it up?"

Country Fiddle held Rarity's hoof gently.

"How? When I was still young and very famous, as my family and I were taveling across Equestria, we, at some time, happened to travel through a rock farm. It was there I met Pinkie Pie and performed for her. Before then I had only performed because I had to--for the music, the art, the performance--however, it was when I spent time with Pinkie's warm family, in such contrast with my cold family and stale life, I saw the joy there was in loving friends, and family. She took me in; she was kind, caring, and fun. When I played my violin, even if I misssed a note, she would applaud all the same and love me, something my family wouldn't do for me. It was in the private company of Pinkie Pie, fiddling for her without any thought of doing exceptional or not, but simply and honestly playing for her from my heart, that I recieved my Cuite Mark. Pinkie, on the way into the circus, told me all about how you earned your cuite mark: that you wanted to give the gifts you create with your heart to other ponies and make them happy."

Rarity began to cry. "Oh, oh, Pinkie Pie, oh, Fiddlesticks!"

Country Fiddle gave her some tissues and spoke softly, "And that is why I gave up all the fame."

Author's Note:

This story is entirely a ponyfied retelling of Herman Melville's short story, The Fiddler (Don't know who he is? Look him up--you got internet, don'cha?), though somewhat simplified and changed for some clearity, and may seem to skip details, as is true enough to the original.

It is my first fan-fic ever, and I make several hints to future stories I will be writing: a story about Derpy; and story about the mane six meeting Simple; a story about who mails Simple so often; a story about Country Fiddle..... hmmm, did I miss anything?

Comments ( 4 )

Looked up the story the Fiddler, liked it. Keep it up with the Fiddlesticks stories! I love them!:pinkiehappy:

Im not always able too read stories all the way through but this one kept me reading for every second keep it up :twilightsmile:

2300216Really?:pinkiegasp: I'm very glad. Thank you, buddy:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment