• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 1,143 Views, 10 Comments

The End of Harmony - Cynical



A single action can have devastating consequences.

  • ...
4
 10
 1,143

Even Heroes Fall

The End of Harmony
By M3lancholy

Even Heroes Fall

The rain falls outside my window, yet I do not hear it. It has been a long time since I noticed anything that wasn't directly linked to myself. The room around me is dark, the only furniture within it, a bed which stands forgotten in the corner. The shelves around me which were once stacked with knowledge and fantasies are now empty, yet another taunt to me of how things have changed. A tall window is my only link to the outside world where rain falls and lightning creates its bright lights and thunderous noises.

And I?

I stand at the window and keep guard over what holds no value. Even in the semi-darkness that the storm affords me where the whole room stands greyscale against the lightning outside, my coat no longer carries the lustre it once did, nor any colour for that matter. All because of that stupid day five years ago. It's- It's still too painful to recall fully. Maybe if I was an emotional mute like Rainbow Dash was.

No, thinking down that lane will only end in misery. I try to tell myself that I've moved on, but every time I say that to myself, I know that Applejack would have given me a look saying that she didn't believe- No! I said I wouldn't think about these things.

I said I wouldn't think about how Fluttershy used to calm all of us with her presence.

How all thoughts about Pinkie Pie, who brought a smile to everyponies face, would be taboo.

That I would refrain from thoughts about Rarity, constantly fussing about us, if only she could see me now.

With a wry smile, I realise that it would be almost impossible to not think about the ponies that were both my greatest friends, and my greatest regrets. I suppose you want to know what happened to us? Why we split apart and went our separate ways? And why there is a small jewel with a crack running down the middle sitting on the windowsill next to me. Well, I'm not going to go into much detail, no matter what you ask of me. The memories are still there, biding their time.

Sure, why the hell not. I'm already wallowing in misery as it is, maybe talking to you will help somehow, I hope.

I said that it was five years ago that this whole damn affair started?

That's not technically true. Maybe it reached a climax five years ago, but it really started the year before that. You remember the day? Horns and Trumpets all celebrating the wedding of the decade. The marriage of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza with Captain Shining Armour. Yes it was the day where I rescued the real princess from spending an eternity in the caverns below Canterlot, and yes I did expose the fake Princess for who she really was. But that was the day when I lost everything too. When I was abandoned by my Family, Friends and Teacher.

Suffice it to say that it had a delayed reaction.

Not six months had gone by before I started having doubts.

Doubts about whether my family trusted me.

Doubts about whether my friends believed me.

Doubts about whether my mentor cared for me.

It was a bad time for me. The climax to those feeling came after another six months had passed, when the first anniversary of my brother and Cadence came around.

Myself and the other five elements of harmony were all invited to the celebrations. In some way it was more of an achievement to reach a years anniversary with their current positions. There were those who were not disinterested in sabotaging a marriage of the captain of the royal guard of Equestria and a Princess. But none of that matters now, if it ever did. I'll keep things simple, just for the sake of things.

We arrived in Canterlot, laughing and joking about a punch line I can't even remember. Some more cheerful than others. We met the couple at the train station; I can still remember how happy they looked, and how sour I felt. Call me selfish, but I still thought that I was important to him, that I still mattered to my brother. Which was of course disproved when I saw the two of them. Of course they were happy, they were married, they had found somepony special to spend their lives with. Lives which didn't include me anymore.

I tried to be happy with them, I honestly did. I wanted my big brother to be happy, along with my foal-sitter who'd been one of the biggest influences on my life. I just never imagined that it would be a happy life without me in it. Of course, looking back at this whole fiasco, it might as well have been envy. Envy that my brother had a pony who would listen to his words, a pony who he could be himself around constantly, a pony who could be his special somepony.

None of whom I had. Sure, Rainbow Dash pretended to listen when I talked to her about something, but I saw her zoning out and her eyes glazing over in front of me. Rarity, as a unicorn knew of my talents more than others, yet always looked at me as the inspiration for a high-class life in Canterlot first, and as a valued friend second. Needless to say, I had no special somepony. I had friends, sure. But what are friends compared to somepony you vow to be with, somepony who you vow to keep close. And somepony you vow to love forevermore.

I bet I sound a mite introspective about now?

Sorry about that. Memories have a habit of reliving themselves in excruciating detail.

Where was I?

We were led up to the castle where the celebration was to take place. All of us, myself included for now, were buzzing with excitement about what could be happening for the anniversary of a royal couple. Rarity was in full 'Canterlot' mode, fussing over her appearance in every mirrored surface she could find on the route. Applejack was chatting to Rainbow Dash, who was pretending to listen, about the couple, and the gift pie that she'd baked for them. Fluttershy was her normal quiet self, but wore a smile for the occasion, and Pinkie was carefully smuggling her party cannon into the castle for who knows what reason.

All in all, it was pretty much run of the mill reactions from us all. However, call it paranoia or me simply acting upon the whims of an envious sister, I watched them all. I watched for moments of disharmony, for moments that didn't fit in and moments that were out of place. I found none then, but still I watched.

When we reached the banqueting hall, we were met by my mentor, Princess Celestia, and another friendly face belonging to Princess Luna. She was the only one that I possessed no doubts about, although this was probably because I never saw her at the wedding, and she never heard my view. No matter. It was a small anniversary we'd planned. Just friends and family from both parties invited. In other words, myself and my Friends, the two princesses, my parents, and a few close relatives too. But like Pinkie would say I suppose, a party is still a party, as long as ponies are having fun.

So we did the dances, talked to relatives, congratulated the couple, and generally had a good time. Well, most of us did. I was still watching everypony for the slightest sign to indicate worry. Strange really how the signs I found very closely mirrored another set of signs for a completely different reason. But I hadn't read that book, so I didn't know then.

By this time, I'd gone up to the balcony to watch the moonrise over Equestria, knowing that it would warm Luna's heart to know that there was somepony watching her work in the night sky.

"Beautiful night, huh?"

Who should have followed me but loyalty incarnate, Rainbow Dash. I wasn't really listening at the time, my mind elsewhere. The only sign that I gave to acknowledge her presence was a slight nod of my head.

"It's nice to be alone sometimes, I get that."

She continued on, but still I wasn't giving her my full attention.

"Look, could you listen to me for a moment, I'd like to tell you something."

This dragged me out of my reverie. Slightly annoyed, I covered my face in a reassuring mask, and turned to face my friend, prepared to offer whatever advice she'd need of me.

"When I first met you Twilight, I thought you were some introspective social knock-out, who didn't know the difference between having a night out, and reading into the small hours of the morning."

But I'd stopped listening properly after she said Introspective. Warning signs were starting in my head somewhere, but I chose not to act on them just yet, tuning back into Rainbow as she was halfway through a sentence.

"-Always depend on you to be there for me, to help me when I needed help. You were a better element of Loyalty than I was for a lot of the time."

Warning signs were now going haywire within my head, Rainbow Dash being so… so complimentary, didn't fit with her usual attitude. My head was starting to fill with ideas about changelings, but I didn't act upon them, waiting for the proverbial third strike.

This came from looking at her. 'Dash' was sweating, yet the night was cool, and she was constantly shuffling her hooves, staring at a point just over my shoulder and just being generally nervous. A trait which Rainbow Dash, by her own admission, didn't possess.

"So, what I'm trying to say is, Twilight Sparkle. I-"

"You said Introspective."

I cut across what 'she' was saying, not even paying attention anymore, one purpose fixed in my mind now. I would strip this imposter, and rescue the real Rainbow Dash, proving to my friends that I could be trusted again.

The other pony broke off her sentence as I interrupted her; she floundered over what to say, her nerves clearly shaken. Obviously nervous that I had seen through the weak disguise that she'd made up.

"You said Introspective. Rainbow Dash doesn't even know there is such a word."

Any lingering doubts that may have worked their way through my judgement were immediately cut, as a look of embarrassment floated across the other ponies face, again she offered no response. I thought I'd give it one chance of redemption.

"Where's the real Rainbow Dash, Imposter?"

I added the last word on impulse, to let the phony know that its disguise had clearly failed. Give it its credit though; it tried to re-establish its story with a cry of

"I'm Rainbow Dash, what are you talking about Twilight?"

Too little too late though, I already had my proof that this wasn't Rainbow, so I… I dealt with her.

That should be enough information for you.

My eyes were still shut from creating the spell, so I opened them, expecting to see the changeling lying on the floor, disguise abandoned with no life in its eyes. Instead, I was greeted with the prone form of a darkening pegasus, the life gone from her eyes. I took a moment to process that fact, mentally reviewing what had happened. No conclusion preventing itself to me. So lost in thought was I, that I didn't realise that Pinkie had joined me on the balcony.

"Why is Dashie red Twilight?"

Her voice. Her Celestia-damned voice. It was still perky, still full of life, as if nothing was wrong.

"She- I- But-"

Were my total efforts to assert control over the situation, still at a loss to what I'd done. When who should join us but Applejack, who could see that there was something not quite right about the state of Dash.

"Why is Rainbow dead Twi?"

The side of my brain which was still trying to make order of this whole turn of events filled my mouth with half-baked reasons and dramatizations.

"Imposter- Rainbow Dash- Said Introspective"

My excuses increasing in clarity as the questions continued.

"Why is Dashie taking a nap?"

"Balcony- Alone- Trying to kill me"

"Why is there blood on your hooves Twi?"

"She was going to- I was- Self-defence"

"Ooh! Why is there blood on your horn? Is it a new spell?"

"Only way- Had to be sure."

"What's happened to your horn girl?"

This, at least, shook me proficiently enough to gain self-awareness again. Eyes narrowing to focus on the tip of my horn, I could see what Applejack was talking about, but had no idea what it meant. The tip of my horn, previously blunt, now possessed the tiniest pinprick at the end. Bearing similarities to the horns of the Royal Sisters, yet sharing none of their grace. I knew this was a bad thing. I just couldn't say it. I think I was still in shock at the time.

I didn't give the answer to that question, no. Celestia did.

I think something inside me broke when Celestia saw me then. Not with the caring eyes of the mentor I know, but with the cold eyes that the killer I was deserved. The look on her face was exactly the same as I'd pictured in nightmares, where I'd been a naughty student, and Celestia was punishing me by refuting her claim over me as her prized pupil.

"It's sharpened. To help with her 'new abilities'."

Any warmth that the alicorn may have felt towards me, any shred of pity, or modicum of respect that the ruler of the sun may have held of me was instantly disproved by her tone and scenarios started taking over my mind. About what would happen now.

And here we are now. Me, sitting in a room with a cracked stone and no books on its shelves.

Funny how things work out isn't it.

After that day, I was taken to court. Celestia gave me a private trial, herself, my family and friends, and the jury were the only ponies present. Not that I noticed, I was still in a dream-like state, the shock still warring with me inside. It's probably worth mentioning that Rarity visited me in my holding cell some time that morning. She told me about Dash's true intentions, and how she was going to confess her lo-

No. I think it's better if that particular memory stays dead, it was the cataclysm for all this, and knowing the true intentions won't do me any good anytime soon. It did enough to revitalise the shock that currently occupied my system though. Again, I was left at the end of a long line of disappointed ponies, misunderstood and misinformed. The trial passed by me, I remained in an almost dreamlike state, up until the pony I once thought of as mentor looked at me and asked the only question I would get.

"How do you plead Twilight?"

In a cruel twist of coincidence, my shock had left me in a state where I uttered the words "I killed Rainbow Dash."

I didn't even mean to say it to the crowd, it was my own internal monologue, voicing itself to the room at large, and bringing the consequences down with it.

The jury left the room, and were gone for a good hour or two, deliberating probably, laughing at the stupid unicorn in front of them maybe.

The verdict completely flew over my head. I was a librarian, not a lawyer, too many terms that contradicted themselves and too much fancy language for the state I was in. I was later told, when I was back in my cell again, that I'd been sentenced to prison for 15 years. My consolation? I was tagged as socially inept, and given solitary confinement for the duration. Not even fit to mix with other ponies in my situation, lest I kill again.

I was visited by one other pony before I left for my new home.

Princess Celestia, mane static in the air and eyes red. Tear tracks still visible on her face. She didn't speak to me, she just watched me with sorrowful eyes, holding back the tears as I looked at her with hope in my eyes. Call me silly, but I still thought that the Princess might feel regret and free me. The very idea of it now sounds stupid, even to me.

She did leave one memento though, a cracked rock, six-pointed, grey. A cruel reminder to me of what I'd done.

Which brings us here I suppose.

Which brings us to me, sitting in my room of empty bookcases and cracked rocks.

Which brings us to me, talking of events long passed.

Which brings us to here and now. Where my friends have long-since left me, and my mentor disowned me. Even Spike couldn't bear to see the look of me anymore.

They thought I didn't notice when they visited, they thought I didn't notice when they couldn't meet my gaze, when Rarity refused to show up, and when Pinkie refused to laugh.

I kept my eyes open though.

I watched for the disharmonies.

The End

Comments ( 10 )

Because it hasn't been done before.

1685312
Maybe so, but this time I've done it.
Also, those other authors that did something similar to this, can you tell me their names, addresses, and where I can find them at 3 AM in the morning. Pointing out church towers, and good sniping spots is also appreciated. :pinkiecrazy:

1686307 I couldn't even BEGIN to give you a list of people who have done it.

1686309
Well in any case, hope this spin on it is a worthwhile read.

Too many "Rainbow Death-Fics"

1763249

That pic...
*Edges away slowly*

Also because reasons and this fic needed it. It wouldn't have the same ring if Twilight simply knocked her unconscious with a handy baseball bat (Kept around Canterlot in case of baseball emergencies) and called the guards.

is good, This I think would really happen if Twilight wasn't able to properly reconciled with the rest of the ponies.

2324789
History is a funny thing.
As are grudges and memories.

Login or register to comment