• Published 7th Jan 2012
  • 18,381 Views, 2,625 Comments

Le Retour - k12314



Kyle thought he was never going to see the ponies again... Well, he was wrong. VERY wrong.

  • ...
47
 2,625
 18,381

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10: Hope Restored

CHAPTER 10

A few days went by, nothing interesting happened. I'd been answering questions for Lyra, and I started helping Scoots with her Cutie Mark, telling her she should try getting a scooter Cutie Mark. She's really good on that thing. Dashie and I went out for dinner, with good results back home... OK, moving on! I was wandering town, as per usual, looking for something to do.


"Maybe I could hang out with Vinyl... We never really talk except at parties. Yeah! Maybe Octavia could come along too..." Finally, I come up with a plan instead of stuff just happening to me out of the blue. "I wonder how Apple Bloom is doing... Scoots doesn't seem to hang out with anypony much. I guess the Cutie Mark Crusaders split up when Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle got their Cutie Marks... I wonder if Sweetie DID get hers? So much to catch up on..." It then dawned on me just how behind I was on everything. I even had to check in with Luna to see how she was doing. She did sacrifice one-hundred years of her past to save my life. "So much to do... So little time..."


"Kyle! Hey!" I heard a cute, southern accented voice call out to me. I looked towards where it came from, and sure enough, it was Apple Bloom. I got a better look at her as she approached me. She was taller, her mane was longer, and she no longer wore the bow on top of her head. It was instead attached to the side of her hair, near her cheek. She even had a Cutie Mark, but it wasn't any apple-affiliated image. Instead, it was a hammer and nails. I remembered the story of how well she fixed up the CMC Treehouse, and how well she did with the task I gave her when I was coaching them. I smiled at the fact that I was right about her talent. "It's great t' see Ya' again."


I ruffled her hair a bit, and she giggled. "Heh, nice to see you too, squirt. I see you build and repair things now."


"Yep! I actually just got done fixing up a roof." I wished she would have been around when the TARDIS crashed through my roof.


"Good for you... Hey, how have you been getting along with Scootaloo? She talks about you a lot." I rubbed the back of my head, trying to investigate for Scoots without letting her secret out. I am her dad, after all.


Apple Bloom blushed a little. "Well... Actually... Can Ah' tell Ya' a secret?" I raised my eyebrow a bit, and nodded. "Well... Ah' sorta... Like Scootaloo..." She blushed deeply when you said that. Then, my obliviousness kicked in.


"Of course you like her, you two are friends." Curse me and my inability to pick up on girls' feelings.


"No, Ah' mean Ah' LIKE Scootaloo..." I swear, she was red as an apple. I pondered what she said for a second, and when I realized it, my eyes widened at an amazing speed, and I could have sworn I heard glass break.


"Oh. I see... WELL THEN! I have a little secret for you, too." I smiled at how perfect this was. "Scoots likes you too, Apple Bloom." She looked at me for a second with an "Are you kidding me?" face, and when my smiled widened, she just leaped on me and hugged me, saying "Thank you" over and over again. She eventually got off of me.


"Thanks fer' tellin' me that, Kyle. I... I dunno what t' say..."


"It's no trouble. I'll tell Scoots when I get home, and I'll get her to visit you tomorrow. Don't do anything I wouldn't." I laughed when she turned a deep red, and I ruffled her hair again as I walked away. "Achievement get: Matchmaker."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a little under ten minutes, I was at the door to Vinyl's Ponyville home. She had another house in Manehattan, but she usually stayed here. She says it's more homely. I knocked on the door, and I heard a groan, and a few bottles fall over. The door unlocked, and I saw a tired looking Vinyl. Her mane and tail were all ruffled, and her shades were hanging crookedly from her horn. "Er... Hey Vinyl, wassup?"


"Oh..." She yawned, and rubbed her eyes. "Hey Kyle. Nothing much..." I heard at two snores coming from the other room, I looked behind Vinyl, and saw a satisfied looking Octavia sleeping on the couch... With two other stallions.


"Er... I see you two had fun last night." I put up a mental block so horrid images didn't make their way into my mind.


Vinyl just laughed. "Oh, it was wild. I met those two at the bar with Octy, and decided, 'Why not?' Sad you weren't there, you could have joined us." She gave me a wink. I shuddered a bit, and gave her a serious stare. She still had her wild grin on, her red eyes had an equally wild look in them. I couldn't help but chuckled a bit.


"Sorry Vinyl, but I'm taken. Dashie has me all to herself. You shouldn't have relented so long. Poor you." I flicked the tip of her horn, and we both burst out laughing. Amazingly, the three ponies in the other room didn't wake up.


"Yeah... Well, sorry Kyle, but as you can see, I can't hang out today. Still gotta go for round two when these three wake up." She finally took her shades off of her horn, and sat them on a stand near the door.


"Alright, I'd rather not stick around for that. I'll see you later, Vinyl."


"Later, handsome." Another joking wink, and she closed the door. I started laughing again. "I have the craziest of friends..." I started back down the path, and back into town.


I was about to walk into the café when I saw a familiar tan streak coming for me. Zeph came to a halt mere inches from where I was standing.


"Hey, Kyle. Think you could help me with something?" He had a worried look on his face, and my hero mode kicked on.


"Sure dude. What is it?"


"It's Divine. She told me some crazy story about how she was out in the Everfree for some reason, said she was there for inspiration, when she got lost. She was crying, then this big metal... Thing, saved her. It didn't answer me, but it didn't sem dangerous... To us, at least."


"Hm... How peculiar. Alrighty then. ONWARDS TO BREEZEHOME!" We flew off, both of us concerned about this metal thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"... Well, he was big, and yellow-ish, and he had a light on his shoulder!" Divine was telling me about her knight in shining armor. Or, from her description, her knight in grimy armor.


"So... Did you catch his name?"


"Yeah! Delta." I felt my eyes shrink. Delta. Metal man. Hero... BIOSHOCK 2. No way...


"I know that guy... Sorta. He used to be human like me, but he went through some... Changes... And by that, I mean he can't speak, he is inclined to help young girls, and he has a giant drill for an arm."


Divine smiled. "You know him?"


"Sorta... He's the character of a game back where I come from..." I suddenly remembered Omnius telling me a story where he was in the Left 4 Dead universe... Wait a second...


"Processing..."


Ding.


"Divine... You weren't rescued by Delta, you were rescued by my friend, Omnius... Only in a crazy suit of armor... Oh man, why is he out there dressed like a Big Daddy?"


"Who's Omnius, and what's a Big Daddy?" Oops. I said too much. Now she's confused...


"Er... Omnius was the guy in the suit of armor who saved you, and a Big Daddy is a person in said suit of armor." Bullet dodged. "Now, I gotta get going, I have some business to take care of..."


"You aren't gonna hurt Delta, are you?" I stared at her, and gave her a reassuring look.


"No, I'm gonna talk to him. He's just lost his way, and I have to set him back on the right path... Seeya, Divine."


"Bye!" I hopped out the window, and decided to let myself freefall a bit.


"I do have to set him back on the right path... The path of Hope."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wandered through the Everfree for a bit, and for some reason, I wasn't attacked by anything. It made me feel at ease a bit. "I've had a lot of good luck lately..."


Well, my luck ran out at that point. I saw a familiar face in my mind, and then a familiar voice followed. "Well, look who it is!"


I felt my heart skip a beat. Torrentican was in my head again. "No way... You're the LAST THING I needed on my mind..."


"Awww, what's the matter? Aren't you happy to see me? And how was the reunion with all your pony friends? I bet that rope felt wonderful..." I felt my face wrench into a look of pure rage and hatred.


"You son of a bitch... Frankly, I'm not surprised a dirtbag like you would use something like that as ammo against me."


"You know me so well... So, did you enjoy the therapy? And what about that little arson ploy? I wonder how many people you killed..." I hadn't thought of that. I went from angry, to worried. "Oh man... What if I DID kill someone? They could have had a family!"


"Are you serious? You aren't worried about getting into more trouble? Who cares about their families?"


"I don't care about my own well-being, I'm worried about others. I just want the world, no matter which one I may be on, to be a better place. And you aren't helping me. So bugger off."


"I think I'll stay right here, thank you... Oh! What's this? Your daughter is a lesbian? How... Disgusting."


"I'm gonna fucking kill you."


"Remember what happened last time? I could just send you right back to Earth, and you wouldn't be able to come ba-"


"HOLD IT!" I shouted as loud as I could.

(Listen to this)


"Wha-"


"You see, that's where you make me laugh, Torrie. You think you can fool me with your empty threats. You already destroyed the controller crystal, so there aren't anymore rifts to close, so you aren't dimming my hope of return. And I know Omnius'll find me eventually, as do the girls. Poor little Torrie, running out of ideas, are we?"


"B-But I could just take you to another world, one that Omnius doesn't know about!"


"Even if he doesn't know about it now, he'll keep searching until he finds me. I'm not worried about him giving up, he's the Element of Hope, and one of my closest friends. I'd trust him with my life. Face it, you're cornered in this argument, Torrie. You can't win. Just get out of my head, and give up!"


"No! You don't have me beaten! I'll get you yet!"


"Come at me, bro! I've got the Elements of Harmony, AND the Princesses on my side! Not to mention practically all of Equestria! You're outnumbered, bub! No matter what you say, and no matter what trick you pull out of your sleeve, I'll always come back, and fight you until the bitter end. I'm not one to give up when my friends and loved ones are in danger. As long as I still stand, you're in trouble."


"And what if I kill you?"


"Luna'll just bring me back, like she did last time. As much as it pains me to say it, she will, and she won't listen to reason. You. Can't. Win. I can't be stopped!" A huge grin broke across my face. "TAKE THAT!"


"I'll be back, just you wait."


"And I'll be waiting with a smile on my face and a weapon in my hand."

(Stop the music)


He disappeared from my mind, and I heard some leaves and twigs crunch underfoot. It was Omnius, and he was in his Delta armor. "Hey, dude." He took off the helmet, and looked at me. He looked like his very soul had been crushed with guilt and defeat. "I'm assuming you're out here because you've lost Hope..." He just nodded, and I let out a long sigh.


"Was that Torrentican?"


I nodded. "Yeah... You heard that?"


"Did you mean it when you said you'd trust me with your life?" He sounded a bit choked up. I smiled at him.


"Of course. As I said, you're one of my closest friends. You've always stuck by me, and helped me more than you can imagine. I can't thank you enough for everything you've done for me." I felt a few tears run down my face, but I didn't care.


He took off the rest of the armor, and sent it back to... Wherever. I didn't care, all I cared about was getting Omnius back to normal. "I'm sorry I just hid out here. I should have come talk to you, not just... Y'know..."


"Don't worry about it, dude. Let's go home." We both walked, side by side, back to Ponyville. I knew that the girls would be happy to see Omnius.


I know I was.

PreviousChapters Next