• Published 26th Nov 2023
  • 559 Views, 11 Comments

The strange sisters - sykko



Sunset Shimmer is a kirin, Twilight Sparkle is a naga

  • ...
2
 11
 559

Making new friends

Applejack couldn't believe his ears. "Th' daughters o' Princess Celestia?!" The dryad blinked a few times, took a couple of steps back and bowed before the kirin and the naga.

"Uh, could we not do this here?", Sunset said. "We kinda need to get to mom's manner."

The dryad didn't rise from the spot he was bowing.

Sunset ground her teeth. "For the love of--"

Twilight waved her tail over the head of Applejack, her rattle making a small shaking sound. "Rise, good sir Apple. You meant no offense and none shall be taken."

Applejack rose upright. "An' ta think Ah talked down ta royalty. Granny'll tan my bark when she wakes up fer treatin' ya like some sort o' commoner tresspassin' on mah family's orchard."

Sunset rolled her eyes. "Look, you didn't know we were the daughters of the princess. How about when this is all over, you buy me a drink, preferably something strong, and my sister whatever she wants as a way to apologize."

"Ah caint buy no daughter o' Celestia some commoners swill."

Sunset ground her teeth harder. Her mane flashed momentarily with flames. "I am calm. I am the mistress of my emotions." She recited the mantra her mother had taught her until she felt her anger disperse and she took in a breath as she centered her thoughts. "Well if you don't think that a strong drink is 'proper'. Then you can buy me a front row ticket for Hoofamania."

"Wait...ya like rasslin'?"

"Mm-hmm. I've even got personally autographed photos from the greats. Hoof Hogan, The Macho Mare, The Underzebra, Big Mamma Cool, Razor Ram. Heck, get yourself a ticket too and I can get you backstage to meet your favorite wrestler."

"Ya mean ya can get me to see th' One-Two-Three Colt?"

"You like that stunty little...you know what? Never mind. If buying me a strong drink isn't proper, then get two front row seats for Hoofamania, one for me and one for you, and I'll get you backstage to meet the...*sigh*...the One-Two-Three Colt."

Ah...uh...Ah dunno what ta say. Ah mean Hoofamania tickets are kinda expensive. Ah'll see what Ah c'n do...no promises, your majesty."

"Just call me Sunset and call her Twilight, please. At least for now. I don't need word getting out and all those Canterlot nobles coming down here, especially with what's going on there."

"Uh sure thing, your maj--Ah mean Sunset." Applejack darted off as quickly as his root hooves could carry him. Big Mac who had just plodded up, stopped to watch his brother run the other way. With a sigh the big bush-pony planted his hooves into the ground and went to sleep.

Twilight slithered over to the sleeping bush-pony. "Excuse me, sir. Are you okay?"

Sunset trotted over to the sleeping bush-pony and waved her hoof in front of him. "I think he's asleep. Maybe it's some sort of narcolepsy?"

"Big Mac is going to root.", Fluttershy said scampering up. "All dryads to it from time to time. They plant themselves in the ground and simply become a tree or a shrub."

"How long have you been there?", Sunset asked.

"Long enough to hear you were Princess Celestia's daughter. I didn't hear you ask Applejack to buy you a strong drink, then insist he buy you Hoofamania tickets when he insisted that common drinks were beneath you."

"Oh that's--WAITAMINNIT!" Sunset rounded on the selkie, eyeing her down. She got face to face with Fluttershy.

The selkie let out a small 'Eep' and turned into an otter.

"You're a sneaky one, aren't you?"

"Eep!"

Sunset poked the otter with an elbow. "I like that in a--"

"Hey! Back offa her!", a brash, gravelly voice shouted.

Sunset found herself knocked into a mud puddle by a rainbow streak. She spat out muddy water and looked up into the rose-colored eyes of a blue pegasus that had a multicolored mane.

Rainbow Dash snorted in Sunset's face. "Nopony bullies my sister from another mister! Nopony!"

Fluttershy turned into a mare. "Rainbow, she wasn't--"

"It's okay, Flutters.", Rainbow interrupted. "I don't care that she's some hoity-toity daughter of the princess, I won't let her bully you."

"Oh my. N-no, no, Rainbow, i-it's okay. She wasn't bullying--"

"You don't get to push Flutters around! We grew up together three houses apart in Cloudsville practically as sisters. I got kicked out of school for beating up some colts who were bullying her, I'm not afraid to get thrown in a dungeon for beating up the daughter of a princess for bullying my sister from another mister."

Twilight reared up and spread her hood. "She wasn't bullying your friend, in fact she was complementing her when you so rudely--"

"Back off snakey, or you'll get some of this to!", Rainbow snapped back.

"Rainbow Dash!", Fluttershy snapped, unusually loud for herself. She scurried up Rainbow's hind legs and across her back until she was standing on her snout. "Sunset was not bullying me! She was complementing me even though I was being rude and eavesdropping on her conversation with your husband! I know you're a brave and strong pony, and thank you for standing up for someone as small and weak as me. But back off or I'll gnaw your hooves...again! Also apologize to Twilight for calling her a bigoted name."

"Sheesh! No need to get violent, Flutters." Rainbow stepped off Sunset and helped her up. "Heh! Uh, sorry about that. When I see somepony bullying or I think is bullying Fluttershy, I just kinda lose it. Sorry about calling you snakey, Twilight." She looked over the muddy water dripping from Sunset's mane. "Here, to show you there's no bad feelings, I'll use my *ahem* patent pending Rain-Blo Dry."

Before Sunset could say anything, Rainbow flew around her in circles until a small tornado formed. When Rainbow stopped, Sunset spun around and around a few times, when she stopped spinning, her eyes spun in her sockets.

Twilight and Fluttershy covered their eyes, peeking a few times to make sure what they were seeing was real.

Sunset tried looking at her mane. "What's wrong?" She looked at her reflection in the puddle, noticing that her mane was in a messy beehive with her forked horn poking out the front. She jabbed Rainbow in her chest with her elbow. "Heh! Looks like you got me good."

Rainbow pointed at Sunset. "Now her I like. Got a real sense of humor. Now I'm off to convince my husband not to take another mortgage out to buy Hoofamania tickets and instead just buy you a couple rounds at Berry Punch's bar. Oh and Flutters, make sure Mac gets watered. I'll send one of the weather ponies to send a rain cloud to sprinkle on him tomorrow if they can spare one." She zipped off, leaving a rainbow contrail behind her.

"I got your number, Rainbow Dash.", Sunset muttered as she narrowed her eyes and started planning some pranks.

"What number would that be? Is it sixteen? Or three thousand four hundred and eighty-five-point-two-three-one-five-nine? Or is it something more abstract, like her lucky number? Which is four. Or is it metaphorical, like your number is up, punk?", a bubbly voice from behind inquired.

Twilight and Sunset turned to see a pink draconequis with a poofy dark magenta mane atop its head and dark magenta cotton ball poof at the tip of its tail.

Before the sisters could say anything, the draconequis spoke again. "Pinkie Pie's my name, making friends and throwing party's my game! Also, asterisk, dramatic gasp, asterisk!" Pinkie then snapped a talon and vanished in a poof of pink smoke and multi-colored confetti.

"What was that about?!", Sunset asked.

"I think everypony in this town is crazy.", Twilight said as she twirled her tail around the side of her head. "Mom should have this town scanned for signs of chaos magic. It could also be some sort of wild magic seepage being this close to the Everfree Forest, or maybe some sort of aftereffect of the berries we ate?"

"I think it's just normal pony craziness, just concentrated because it's a small town.", Sunset replied. "We should go find a stylist to fix my mane."

Sunset trotted down the road as Twilight slithered next to her. As they entered town, they looked around at the various tribes of ponies who were milling about or hawking wares from stands. A trio of dryads that looked like flower bushes were haggling with a customer over the price of bouquets they sold. An earth pony mare with a cream colored coat and a blue and pink mane and tail was sitting on a bench having a quiet conversation with mint green unicorn mare, the two of them would occasionally stop their conversation to share a quick peck. A pair of draconequi, one with a grey coat and charcoal-colored hair atop its head and a cello clutched in its talons, was having a heated discussion with a white one that had two-toned electric blue hair atop its head, wearing a pair of pink sunglasses on its face and a pair of white headphones with electric blue highlights on its head, that simply nodded or shook their head in response while not saying a word.

Sunset and Twilight looked on in awe at the different tribes getting along. Back in Canterlot, non-unicorns were often harassed and bullied in the streets, many would even deny them entrance to their places of business.

"Hi there!", a deep masculine voice said from behind. "Are you two new in town?"

When the two sisters turned their heads and looked behind them. What they saw caused them to pause for a moment. There stood on two legs was a tall male dragon with broad shoulders, his scales were a shimmering purple with a light green underbelly, a row of sharp dark green spikes ran down his back and the top of his tail, said tail ended in a spade-like thagomizer.

Twilight's eyes lit up with the promise of learning. She slithered up to the dragon and reared up to look him in the eye. "Oh. My. Goodness! I've never met a full-blooded dragon before! I've always wanted to talk to one and learn more about them! What can you tell me about your kind?! Where did you come from?! What are other dragons like?!"

The dragon chuckled awkwardly and rubbed the back of his head. "I don't know any other dragons as I grew up here in Ponyville." He extended a paw. "The name's Spike! What's yours?"

Twilight placed her tail in Spike's paw for a quick shake. "Oh! Uh...my name's Twilight Sparkle and this is my sister, Sunset Shimmer."

Sunset extended a hoof. "How do you do, mister Spike?"

Spike shook Sunset's hoof as he looked over Sunset's mane. "When my wife sees your mane, she's going to have a fit." He waved his paw towards the west side of town. "Might as well get it over quick, like snatching off a band-aid. But first I got to stop by the school and pick up our daughter from her singing lessons."


Nightmare Moon paced back and forth in Celestia's study while muttering silently to herself. "The elder sister has two daughters and the youngest sister has disappeared to who knows where." She was growing tired and would need to rest soon. There was a time, when like the elder, middle and younger sisters, she could stay awake for months, years or even decades at a time, but after spending centuries imprisoned in a cage inside one of the many, many craters on the moon, her power had yet to fully return, as noted by the light of the sun weakening her.

Deep inside, Luna bided her time. She knew that though she wouldn't be free of the nightmare, after spending untold centuries bonded and trapped within it, she knew the signs that it was weakening and once it rested, she could project a small portion of her power, just enough to create a living illusion of herself to walk around, see the sites and hopefully talk with her sisters.

It wasn't long before Nightmare Moon found a windowless room, coiled around herself and went to sleep. The part of Luna that the nightmare couldn't consume gathered her strength and created an illusion that she could link her consciousness to. Though she didn't have enough strength to make her projection solid, illusion Luna could move about, looking more like a ghostly apparition than a half-dragon. Illusion Luna moved about in a manner that was more akin to floating or levitating than walking. A few times she had to make her illusory self transparent to avoid being spotted by nightmare cultists that now patrolled the hallways or the civilian castle staff that had been press-ganged back into doing the day-to-day work around the castle.

Illusion Luna phased through a set of massive double doors that served as the entrance to the throne room. There she saw Celestia still bound by shadowy chains, suspended from a buttress and hanging over the dais like some sort of pinata. There were only a few nightmare cultists guarding the room as the doors had been barred to prevent any visitors and the stained glass windows were covered in heavy black cloth. She made her illusory form translucent and levitated it up out of eye line of any cultists.

Illusion Luna took a moment to look around and get the lay of the room. There were only four cultists standing guard around the dais and they looked bored. Bored guards were more likely to not notice details, such as a translucent half-dragon illusion levitating a few body lengths in the air. There were a hoof-full of nightmare cultists "standing guard" around the room, they were either sleeping, playing cards or shooting dice with their fellow cultists, overall they were a largely undisciplined group that had taken the castle only by surprise and luck, with help from Nightmare Moon.

Celestia had her eyes open only tiny bit, giving the impression that she was sleeping, while she surveyed the room through the slits while testing the shadowy chains that bound her form. She saw the illusory form of her younger sister phase through the door, go translucent and float up through the air.

Illusion Luna floated over to her sister and settled by her head.

"Forgive me, Luna.", Celestia whispered. "I was arrogant and foolish in my youth. I did the opposite of what father warned us about before entering into his long sleep."

"This is not the time to discuss the past.", illusion Luna replied. "There is no time to tarry. Though the nightmare slumbers, I do not know how long before it awakens and I am forced to return to my prison within it. Tell me of my nieces, how they came to be your daughters and where they would have fled."

Celestia spent several minutes whispering to her illusory sister about how she adopted Sunset and Twilight, and about how she instructed them to flee to Ponyville.

Illusory Luna's form wavered slightly. "I must depart for now, sister. The nightmare stirs. I shall find a way to contact you again." She released her illusion and returned her consciousness back to the one spot that the nightmare couldn't touch.

Nightmare Moon awoke with a snort and a grunt. She unwound her serpentine form and stood up. She felt the tiny portion of Luna shudder. "What have you been doing, little mote of the middle sister, while I slumbered? Were you trying to escape...again?"

Deep inside the nightmare extended shadowy tendrils towards the one part that remained Luna, but they were repelled as it couldn't exist where love lived.

"Bah! Never mind for now. I shall find out in due time. Maybe when I find the daughters of the elder sister. Oh yes! Nothing will harm Celestia more than to see her two daughters dragged before her and forced to watch as I torture them until their minds break and then toss their souls into the blackest of voids! That will allow me to consume the last little part of you." Nightmare Moon let out manic cackles. She left the room and headed for the kitchens, she was hungry and would deal with Celestia after she regained her strength anew.

****

Celestia's head recoiled as the nightmare struck her. Her body swung back and forth, suspended from the chain attached to the buttress.

The nightmare let out a snarl as it shook its paw, getting rid of the stinging pain. "I'll ask again. Where are your daughters? Tell the truth and I can assure you that they will be unharmed. Yes they shall be my prisoners, but they will live in luxury, and as an insurance policy that you do not get out of line."

Celestia knew a lie when she heard one. The nightmare had no intentions of leaving her daughters unharmed. Raising her head to look in the nightmare's eyes, she jutted out her chin, made a regal face in defiance and refused to speak.

The nightmare growled in anger. "You have nothing to say?" The nightmare clenched its paw into a fist and punched Celestia hard across the jaw.

A few of Celestia's teeth scattered on the floor and a trickle of blood oozed past her lips. She still refused to speak. Her half-dragon physiology would allow her to regrow those lost teeth in a few days.

The nightmare raked a claw across Celestia's cheek, causing sparks to rain down, as it pondered on how to get the elder sister to speak. Threatening Luna's body wouldn't work as the elder sister would not betray any member of her family. She couldn't threaten to take Celestia's life, for the solar princess would willingly take her secrets to the grave. Then a wicked thought passed through the nightmare's mind. The nightmare leaned in close to Celestia and whispered, "Chrysalis has fled the castle. I know not where to. Maybe to find your daughters. As much as she despised you for what you did to little Luna and how callously you spoke to her when she tried to convince you to free Luna from that oh so cold and distant tower, she still holds some love in her heart. She probably went to protect your daughters. I will find her before I find your daughters. I will drag the secrets out of her with violence. You know as well as I that she's the weakest of you three sisters. To this day no one knows what your father saw in that changeling. He was probably looking for the same thing when he laid with your and Luna's mothers, just a hole that he could use to satisfy himself."

Celestia saw that old dragon hubris. The same hubris she had given in to all those centuries ago. She also saw something else. Secret doors along the walls sliding slowly open. The guards were preparing an attack. She scrunched her face up in defiance, tightened her jaw, inhaled a deep breath through her nose and snorted out a cloud of black smoke into the nightmare's face.

Predictably the nightmare recoiled away from the smoke, waving a paw in the air to disperse the cloud.

Then the attack happened. With war cries, ponies from all five guard regiments poured out from the secret doors in the walls, and secret hatches in the ceiling and floor. The nightmare cultists, caught unawares, were quickly overwhelmed. As Nightmare Moon moved to attack the guards, a witch hunter, wearing the stovepipe hat, dark cloak, dark leather armor and straps with various pouches attached, held up a hoof that had a thin gold chain wrapped around it. Attached to the thin gold chain was a small gold cage that held an enchanted clear crystal, the Helian Lantern. The Helian Lantern was an enchanted clear crystal that held a bit of true sunlight. Golden rays of sunlight poured out of the Helian Lantern.

With a hissing snarl, Nightmare Moon recoiled from the light and covered her eyes.

Celestia wasted no time. Reaching out with her soul, she pulled the power of the sun, her sun, just a fragment, into herself. Her body began to glow brightly, dissolving the shadowy chains. She was Celestia, half-dragon of the sun, as much its mistress as its servant!

Nightmare Moon shrieked in fright and pain as she recoiled to the other side of the room. She still had yet to regain her full powers, so the sun, even a fragment of its power, could still cause her pain.

Celestia drew in a breath and released the might of the sun as she breathed out golden flames, much akin to a solar flare.

Nightmare Moon howled in pain and rage as the golden flames surrounded her. Fleeing the wrathful might of a fragment of the sun, she leapt through a stained glass window, trails of smoke streaming off her scales behind her as shards of multi-hued glass rained down. Covering her face as she hit the ground, she hissed and snarled curses at the sun overhead. She then transformed into a mole and burrowed into the ground to escape the light.

Celestia slumped slightly as she released the last of the power she borrowed back to the sun. Nightmare Moon had been run off and delayed, but she wasn't banished or destroyed. She turned her head and gave a quick nod to Knightly Armor, the captain of the Family Guard. "Impressive show of initiative, captain. I must now make flight for Ponyville. Please secure the castle while I am gone to protect my daughters."

A single nightmare cultist that was still awake, but pretending to be unconscious, sprung up and blinded several guards with a flash of un-light from its horn before vanishing in a flash of a teleport.

"Stop her!", Knightly Armor shouted.

"Belay that order!", Celestia barked. "Once the sun sets, Nightmare Moon will leave Canterlot to hunt me. If I am right, my youngest sister, Chrysalis, will be nearby to protect them too."

"But princess--"

"Secure the castle, make sure the cultists within are tossed in the dungeon and expel any cultists remaining within the city, by force if necessary." Celestia gave a small smile to Knightly Armor. "Worry not, captain. I can take care of myself. And when this is all over, I shall promote your son to the Family Guard so you can start planning your retirement."

"I already made Shining Armor a member of the Family Guard and sent him to Ponyville to find your daughters."

Celestia gave a small smirk to Knightly Armor. Shining was just like his father, brave, strong, smart, skilled, quick thinking, though sometimes a bit thickheaded when it comes to the more delicate social graces. "Very well, let's make this official." She turned to the other officers of the guard regiments. "Shining Armor has been declared a member of the Family Guard. Any dissenters say nay." She paused and waited for any dissenters to speak up, when none spake, she continued, "All in favor say--"

"Aye!" The throng of gathered guard officers spake as one in loud voices.

"Very well. With the support of my other guard regiments, I declare Shining Armor second lieutenant of the Family Guard."

The gathered guards cheered and whistled.

"Very well, my good gentle-stallions. I must bid you adieu for now." Celestia hopped out the window that Nightmare Moon had smashed out, transformed into a swan, turned to the south and flew towards Ponyville. It would take her the whole day to get there flying as a swan. She could get there faster if she flew as a half-dragon, but she didn't want to scare her subjects in her normal form. Flying as an alicorn would have also been faster, but then she'd be swamped by subjects who would want to greet or petition her.


Spike walked alongside his daughter, Sweetie Belle, a light grey, almost white half-dragon. Her eyes were a pale greyish green. Instead of frills or spike, she sported a pony-like mane atop her head that was a pale purple in color with light greyish mulberry stripes. She also sported a tuft of hair at the end of her tail the same colors as her mane. She sported rear hooves of a pony and forepaws of a dragon.

"Mr. Eighth Note says my singing is improving and that he's never seen anypony with as much skill on the viola before!", Sweetie Belle exclaimed, her voice taking on squeaky tones, belying her excited tone. She cast glances over to Twilight and Sunset. "Do you know those two?"

"Hmm?" Spike looked over to the naga and kirin. "They're new in town and I thought I'd introduce them to your mother before she encountered them by accident."

Sweetie Belle gave a long look at the two, letting her gaze linger on Sunset. "Yeah, if she did, she'd probably have a conip--uh, a conin--uh, a copip---uh, a hissy fit if she saw her mane."

Spike threw an arm around his daughter and gave her a noogie while chuckling. "That she would. But don't let her hear you say that, or she'll take the wooden spoon to the both of us and fuss at Mr. Applejack that he's 'Teaching her daughter improper Ponish.' I love your mother to the ends of the world and back, but sometimes she tests my nerves. Uh, don't tell her I said that or she'll make me sleep on the couch...again."

Upon reaching their destination, the two sisters couldn't help but marvel at the structure. It looked like a circus tent blended with a merry-go-round. In the windows were displayed all sorts of fashionable outfits. They looked better than all of the custom tailored dresses the two of them had received from the palace seamstresses in the past.

Sweetie Belle grasped the door handle with a forepaw and opened it. "Mom? Mom? Mom! Mmmmmmooooooooommmmmm!"

"Sweetie Belle! How many times have I told you not to yell indoors?" A voice from a back room scolded. A unicorn mare with a pale grey, almost white coat. Her royal purple mane was done up in a stylish looping swoosh, and her tail matched. "Did you have a good day at--It seems we have potential customers." She cleared her throat and took on a regal stance that made the two sisters snicker softly. "Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is sheek, unique and magni--Oh my word, darling. What in the world has happened to your mane?"

Sunset blew an errant lock aside that had fallen down over her face. "I kinda fell into a puddle and then was subjected to a Rain-Blo dry. Although I'm unsure she can get a patent for it. I was hoping you could direct me to a--Whoa!"

Sunset found herself snatched up by a pair of nearly white hooves in a military press and deposited into a beautician's chair that wasn't there a moment before.

"I cannot allow this crime against mane-styles and fashion to persist! Of course Rainbow Dash would do something like this! That mare barely brushes her mane and only files her hooves! She won't even put on some lipstick or paint her hooves, and yet she somehow managed to marry one of the most eligible stallions in town and had two foals by him without losing her slender figure!" Rarity levitated a pair of scissors, a blow dryer, three brushes, a combs and a whole bevy of mane-care products.

Spike coughed into his fist. "Hurtful."

"Oh relax, darling. Rainbow may have married one of the most eligible stallions in Ponyville, but I won the grand prize by marrying the most handsome, strong, loyal and handsome dragons around who gave me such a wonderful bundle of joy."

Sweetie Belle beamed with a bright smile.

Spike's chest swelled with pride. "Thanks, babe!"

Rarity gave Spike a sultry half-smile. "I've been thinking, Spikey-wikey."

"Oh?"

"I think I'm ready to try for another."

"Ew! Gross!", Sweetie Belle exclaimed before sprinting from the room.


Chrysalis hid in the woods just beyond the edge of Ponyville. Transforming into thousands of locusts, she spread herself across town. Though it would be a strain on her mentally, it would be easier to gather the information on her nieces quickly than to transform into a pony and traipse around town. Plus it had the added bonus of being almost unnoticeable as nopony would even give a second look to what looked like some extra grasshoppers.

Chrysalis' locusts flew through the air or crept along the the ground or clung to wagons and carts as she looked and listened for any signs of her nieces.

Most of it was useless information. A chubby and out of shape middle aged well-to-do stallion arguing with his wife who it was clear that she had plastic surgery, based on the shape of her snout and weirdly doll-like face, about their daughter bullying other foals. A trio of flower bush dryads shouting 'The horror!' as one of her locusts idly nibbled on a flower. A dryad stallion that had rooted itself and was currently sleeping, as its snores were an indicator.

A pink draconequis talking about two new ponies in town, a kirin and a naga, and was currently gathering ponies up for a party.

Chrysalis inched a small group of her locusts closer to the draconequis so she could better make out what was being said.

Suddenly the draconequis had a weird ripple run through its body and looked directly at one of Chrysalis' locusts. Chrysalis was intimately familiar with the strange, almost psychic-like abilities of the draconequi. After all they were the descendants of the odd dragon of chaos, Discord, who was currently imprisoned inside a mountain. No, wait, he was already big as a mountain...sometimes, when he felt like it. Currently Discord was imprisoned in a stone form as his chaotic powers had gotten out of control and the mountain grew around him.

Chrysalis moved her locusts away, out of concern about being found out by that pink draconequis. As she flew away, one of her locusts was snared in a lion's paw.

"Gotcha, little buggy!" The pink draconequis peered inside her lion's paw. "You know it's very rude to eavesdrop on somepony. You might look like a regular old locust to most ponies, but not to me!"

The jig was up. Chrysalis needed to formulate a plan, but with her consciousness so spread out between so many individual parts, it was going to be difficult.

"Pinkie Pie!" A soft voice scolded. "You let that poor locust go."

Chrysalis' other locusts that were nearby spied on what was happening. They observed an otter scolding the draconequis. A selkie! Selkies were known to be omnivorous and would use their songs to often lure in small animals to drown them in the bodies of water they inhabited before eating them. If locusts were capable of swallowing hard, Chrysalis would have done so, instead she buzzed her myriad of wings nervously.

"This isn't a nor--"

"Now, Pinkie.", the yellow selkie said in an insistent tone, tapping a paw on the ground.

Pinkie pulled an envelope out with a snap of her talons and placed it in Chrysalis' locust's legs. "This is an invitation for Sunset and Twilight's Welcome to Ponyville party. I'll make sure there's some extra cake and punch for you, if you decide to show up. I'd be so ooper-duper happy if you did!"

Cjrysalis' locust flew away clutching the envelope in her legs. As she reformed herself, she looked at the envelope she was now clutching in her paw. She ran a claw under the edge of the flap, opening it. Confetti and streamers shot out as a little party whistle blew as she pulled the invitation card out to read it. Chrysalis, the half-dragon of the wilderness, had not been to a party in over a thousand years, not since Everfree Castle was still occupied before...

Chrysalis pushed the memories of the past from her mind. Using her magic, she stashed the party invitation away. She would consider attending the party later. For now her mind was at ease, her nieces were safe, but it would only be a matter of time before the nightmare found out. Celestia would also be coming.

Chrysalis mused to herself as she transformed into a pony so she could trot around Ponyville and keep close to her nieces. For the last two hundred years she had watched her eldest sister from a distance. Gone was the haughty, cold and prideful Celestia, in its place was a matronly half-dragon who would weep bitterly and beg for Luna to forgive her when she was alone in her quarters when she thought no one was watching or listening. Then when she adopted Twilight and Sunset, Celestia changed again, from the matronly half-dragon who was mourning the banishment of her sister, to a proud mother who beamed at the accomplishments of her daughters. Celestia had changed, and like all whose draconic blood ran strong, any who threatened her young would see a wrath the likes of which would make the Lord of Tartarus trembled in his black armor.


Shining Armor had trudged on through the dense undergrowth that surrounded the base of Mount Canter and his dozens of small towns, villages and hamlets. He was thankful for his extensive wilderness survival and land navigation training as it allowed him to pick up the trail of the two sisters' quickly. He had followed it until it led him to the edge of a large apple plantation. He had snooped around the plantation until a wooden dog that he initially thought was a sculpture started sprinting at him and barking. Not wanting to risk a confrontation with the owners of the plantation, he beat a hasty retreat. Hopefully the owners of the plantation would take them to Ponyville.

Shining maneuvered through the forest, weaving in between birch, poplar and sweet gum trees. He had quickly found the edge of town, which according to the map was Ponyville. He hoped the royal cartographers had kept the maps up to date and that this was Ponyville, and not one of the dozen or so hamlets that had popped up in the last decade or so.

Shining stepped into what he thought was a clearing. Instead it was somepony's garden. What he initially initially thought were normal sunflowers and berry bushes turned out to be crystalline plants. They were just like normal plants, except they appeared to be made out of some sort of semitransparent crystals. Shining Armor had never seen crystal sunflowers or berry bushes before.

Never mind that. He needed to make sure he was on the edge of Ponyville. Shining decided to walk between the plots of crystal sunflowers and crystal berry bushes. Hopefully whoever owned this garden could direct him into town and allow him to refill his canteens.

Shining Armor emerged from the well tended plots and froze in his path. There was a small cottage made from field stones with a thatched roof. Next to the cottage was a well and standing by the well was a sight that made his breath hitch in his chest, his heart race and his frogs sweat. There was a pegasus mare, she was a pink translucent in color, almost as if somepony had carved the Venus di Pony out of rose crystals and brought it to life.

The pink crystal mare lifted her head and looked over her wither. Shining's heart began to beat like a drum when he made eye contact with her. Her mouth was moving, but he could only hear his own heart in his ears. She fluttered over and gave his a slight nudge. This brought Shining's hooves metaphorically back to the ground.

"Sir? Are you okay?"

When Shining tried to speak, only a squeak would come out. He cleared his throat and spoke again. "Yes, ma'am. I'm sorry for staring, it's just I've never met a crystal pony before, only seen a few pictures in books."

The crystal mare gave Shining a sideways glance. "Can I help you? If you;re here to just stare...you've had your gander. Town's that way, I suggest going there." She pointed with a hoof.

Real smooth you idiot Shining Armor immediately snapped to attention and spoke in a military tone. "Many apologies, good madam. I am Shining Armor of Her Majesty's Family Guard. I have been sent on an urgent mission by Captain Knightly Armor to locate Duchess Sunset Shimmer and Duchess Twilight Sparkle. Due to an emergency in Canterlot, they were forced to flee to Ponyville. If you could please direct me to Ponyville, I need to ensure their protection until either Captain Armor or Princess Celestia relieves me."

The crystal mare gave a small smirk at the guard. "Oh yes, I know about Twilight and Shining. Pinkie's been hoofing out invites for their Welcome to Ponyville party. That draconequis only lives for three things, making friends, making everypony smile and parties. C'mon, Shining Armor of 'Her Majesty's Family Guard', I'll show you into town. The party's going to be at the Sunflower Manner."

"Thank you, miss...uh..."

"Cadance, no miss, just Cadance."

"Thank you, Cadance. I will ensure you are duly rewarded for your assistance to the crown."

Cadance smirked at Shining Armor. There was something about him she liked. Maybe it was the cut of his jib. Maybe it was him being in the military, she had always heard that mares always fell for a military stallion. Maybe it was something else. "Ponyville's this way. Stay close, even though Whitetail Woods aren't as dangerous as the Everfree Forest, the whitetail deer here can be a little testy about ponies traipsing around, especially if they walk through their sacred burial grounds. So walk where I walk, unless you wanna be digging arrowheads out of your armor."

"I wasn't aware there were any whitetail tribes around Ponyville."

"Oh yes. The Thorn Tribe live in these parts, though since the eclipse, they've retreated into the Everfree."


Sunset looked over her mane in the mirror. Rarity had done great work at washing and styling it. She was amazed at hos somepony who was clearly a fashionista could also style manes. She looked over how the mane-style seemed to be equal parts illustrious and understated, while also keeping her natural ruby and gold curls. "I must say you've done amazing work, Rarity. What do I owe you?"

Rarity waved off the mention of payment with a hoof. "Think nothing of it, darling. Like what grandmother Rough Diamond used to say, 'A good deed for its own sake is reward on its own.'"

Sunset took one last look at her mane in the mirror. "Well I feel bad getting such a great mane-style from you and not paying for it. I'd like to purchase one of your dresses."

Rarity levitated a measuring ribbon. "If you insist. Before I start, I've noticed you two's accent. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from?"

Twilight and Sunset gave each other a long stare, hesitant to speak for a moment.

"Uh..." Twilight balked. "We're from Canterlot."

"Wah-ha-ha-ha-ha!" Rarity swooned and fell back onto a fainting couch that wasn't there a moment before.

"Is that mom's rich pony from Manehattan or Canterlot freak out scream?", Sweetie Belle shouted from the kitchen.

"Canterlot.", Spike replied.

"Oh brother!"

Rarity sprung up from the couch and pointed a hoof at the kitchen. "That's enough sass-mouth from you!" She then pointed a hoof at Spike. "And don't you encourage her." She then looked off into a metaphorical distance. "Canterlot! Can you imagine it? All the glitz and glamor! The well dressed ponies! All the beauty and luxury!"

"All the nobles and rich ponies with their noses shoved up their own plots sniffing their own farts.", Sunset snarked. "Them talking smack about us behind out backs, then sucking up to our faces, hoping to get in good with mom--I mean Princess Celestia."

"Wah-ha-ha-ha-ha! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" Rarity's scream made the two royal daughters and the one dragon wince in pain. If Sweetie Belle were visible, she would also be seen wincing. "The Royal Daughters?! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" She swooned and fell over, missing her failing couch by inches. She stood back up on her hooves, swooned again and fell over...again, making sure she landed on the couch this time.

"Why's mom screaming? Did another star spider get in the shop again? Do I need to come out with a glass and an index card?"

Rarity sprung up off of the couch and kicked it away. "Sweetie Belle! Show some respect! We're in the presence of royal ponie! The daughters of Celestia no less!"

Sweetie Belle walked out of the kitchen and into the shop. "Me showing respect? What about you? I'm sure they don't appreciate you screaming like a bansheep! Maybe you should treat them with some respect and treat them like normal ponies!"

"Sweetie Belle, you watch you tone, especially when nobility is present.", Rarity scolded.

"No! You do this every. Freaking. Time! Every time somepony comes through who's from Canterlot or Manehattan or St Trottersberg, you scream, freak out and have a hissy fit!"

Spike stepped in-between his wife and daughter, trying to play referee. "Sweetie Belle, don't shout at your mother. And Rarity, you do freak out when somepony comes from a big city."

"Are you taking my side or hers?!", the unicorn and her half-dragon daughter shouted in unison as they pointed at themselves then each other.

Sunset and Twilight decided to beat a hasty retreat. The bell above the door jingled and the trios said in unison, "Thank you for coming to Carousel Boutique, please come again!", then went back to bickering.

The sisters ran/slithered away from the shop as quickly as their hooves/underbelly could carry them. After a few blocks of sprinting/slithering really fast, the two sisters stopped. After a few hours of moseying around town and waving back at the locals who vigorously waved at them with big smiles, they found the paved street that Sunflower Manner was located on, Sunrise Strip. The shadows were starting to lengthen and the sisters decided to go stay at their mother's mansion until she came for them.


Celestia, still in swan form, set down in a small pond just outside Ponyville. The sun was making its trek towards the western horizon. Transforming back into her half-dragon form, she almost immediately sank to the bottom of the pond. She had forgotten that eastern dragons, even those of the half-blooded variety, didn't float in water. Her father was currnetly sleeping somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, but she wasn't quite sure as dragons tend to keep their locations secret when entering into the long sleep.

Celestia rose out of the water and onto the shore. She used her power to gently coax the sun below the horizon where it would continue its quest on the other side of the world until it made its way to the eastern horizon. She then nudged the moon above the eastern horizon, though she wasn't its mistress and would often resist her, she still managed to move it to its place. The nightly orb knew its mistress was returning soon and soon enough it would no longer abide the nudging of the solar half-dragon, but the nightmare was still in possession of Luna's body, so tonight was not the night.

Celestia closed her eyes as the silvery light of the night orb and remembered a time when she, Luna and Chrysalis was young. Their father had taken them into the heavens above and showed them the cosmos without the protecting bubble of atmosphere and magic. The planet that lived on was unique as it was bigger than its star. The planet, which was called Gemmeam Coronam, sat at the center of a vast galaxy. Every star, planet, moon and moon's moon had a dragon, half-dragon or alicorn that ruled over it. The entire galaxy was held together by a combination of gravity and magic. She remembered seeing the beauty and splendor of it all. That's when she first heard a song and felt a tug on her soul. A song and tug that was both alien and familiar to her. This world's sun was calling out to her. It was only a few centuries after that when her father began preparations for his long sleep, descending deep into the ocean while his magic and soul watched over this world that he both served and ruled. There would come a day when she would ascend to the sun and slumber within its depth for a long sleep.

But today was not that day.

Celestia transformed into an earth pony and trotted across the land. She wasn't far from Ponyville. The nightmare would find out soon where Sunset and Twilight were, and the half-dragon of the sun would be there to stop it, even if it meant her life.


Chrysalis trotted through Ponyville as a nondescript pegasus. She had spent a thousand years learning how to hide among her ponies, so she knew how to keep herself unnoticed. The shadows were growing long and it would soon be getting dark. If nightmare Moon didn't know where Sunset and Twilight were, it wouldn't take her long to figure it out.

Though the nightmare may not be Luna, it had Luna's body, so it knew how to tap into the abilities all full-blooded and half-blooded dragons had. One of those abilities was that all dragons, full or half, knew where all other dragons were, regardless of what form they took. Chrysalis only hoped that enough of Luna still existed to give the nightmare enough of a fight to cloud the nightmare's senses. It also didn't hurt that Chrysalis was a half-changeling, so she could better hide herself, even from her half-dragon sisters.

Chrysalis froze in her steps. She sensed a full-blooded dragon. It was an adult, but not ancient. If she was lucky, it hadn't sensed her yet. There was something also, it was hard to sense as there were several draconequi living in the town, so it clouded her dragon-sense. It was another half-dragon. Celestia? Nightmare Moon? No. Celestia was still a ways off and the nightmare was still in Canterlot. This was a youngling half-dragon. Hopefully the adult dragon and the youngling half-dragon didn't sense her with all of the draconequi around.

Chrysalis decided to be cautious. She stepped into an alleyway and transformed into a nightingale. Though she couldn't suppress her dragon aura, she had learned long ago before her father had went into his long sleep that eastern dragons were unique amongst dragon kind. Though they couldn't suppress their dragon aura, they could reduce its size by transforming into something small.

Chrysalis flitted through the lengthening shadows. Though she would have preferred to travel in her preferred form as a swarm of locusts, she chose this form as being a swarm meant that her consciousness would be spread out among the multiple individuals and she needed her mind all in one place.

Though Ponyville seemed much bigger in the form of a nightingale, Chrysalis was still able to travel it's streets, roads and alleys with ease. Day transitioned into dusk and she arrived at Sunflower manner. Perching in a tree, she kept a lookout for her nieces.

Just as the last of the light began to fade, Chrysalis saw the pair making their way down the road. She flitted down to the side of the house and perched on a windowsill. Just as she was about to transform back into her half-dragon form, the window slid open and a pink lion's paw reached out, snagging her.

Just a Chrysalis was about to transform and unleashe her draconic fury, a voice whispered, "Shh! Don't ruin the surprise! Also, welcome to Ponyville." Confetti rained down on Chrysalis' head.


It was early evening when Cadance and Shining Armor had made their way to Sunflower Manner. His mouth felt dry, he wanted to say to the crystal mare that she was the most beautiful pony he had ever seen, but for the life of him he couldn't figure out how to form words, so he kept silent. Just s the duo can up to the side door, a grey earth pony mare with a pink mane that was clearly dyed, if her roots were any indication, opened the door and beckoned them in.

Inside the citizens of Ponyville were all gathered in the main hall. Tables of all types were set up. Covered dishes and punch bowls were laid out on them. Banners that read 'Welcome to Ponyville' were hung from the tops of the walls and streamers hung down from the rafters.

As the light outside faded, somepony said, "Quiet everypony, they're coming!"

The lights were quickly dimmed and the citizens of Ponyville all whispered excitedly.


Sunset and Twilight made their way up to the front door of Sunflower Manner.

"I can't wait to slither into bed and go to sleep. I'm just hoping that this is a crazy dream and mom has chocolate chip waffle ready.", said Twilight.

Sunset nodded her head. "I hear that, Sparkling Star.

The handle on the door opened and the sisters walked/slithered into the dark room.

*click*

The lights came up suddenly.

"Welcome to Ponyville!"

Twilight reared up, deployed her hood and hissed, baring.

Sunset's mane burst into flames and her body turned dark.

Both sisters, being caught unaware, were immediately ready for an attacker...only there were no attackers, just the good citizens of Ponyville throwing them a party.

Embarrassed, the two sisters relaxed as the good citizens began to swarm around them.


Nightmare Moon burrowed out of the ground once the sun had set in mole form. Nearby was a single nightmare cultist.

"My queen." The cultist bowed. "I bring you word as to where the elder sister's daughters are. She mistakenly revealed it to me when the guards took the castle back after using foul treachery to run you off."

Nightmare Moon transformed back into a half-dragon. "Please do tell."

The cultist bowed again, this time lower. "My queen, they have fled to Ponyville."

"I do not remember any place called Ponyville. Where prat tell is Ponyville?"

"It is due south of here, on the border of the Everfree Forest, my queen." The cultist prostrated themself onto the ground. Though they were already bowing and showing reverence, it never hurt to suck up to the boss, especially when they were a nightmare beast inhabiting the body of a half-dragon.

Nightmare Moon smiled wickedly. Her teeth glistened in the moonlight and her eyes flashed white. "Oh Celestia! Celestia! Celestia! You think to hide your daughters in the shadow of your old castle. Maybe I shall lock them away in the tower where I found Luna and leave them for my nightmare brethren. Would you like that, little mote of Luna?"

Deep inside the nightmare, Luna knew her time was nigh. Now was the time to begin struggling. After a millennium trapped within this beast, she had known its weaknesses. Where to pluck. Where to pull. But most importantly, where to bite and claw and kick. So she began her fight with the only part of her left, love.

The nightmare cultist didn't know who his dark majesty was talking to, and he knew better than to question.

"What is your name, loyal servant?"

The cultist pulled back his robes, revealing a white pegasus stallion. "Cumulonimbus, my queen."

"You have earned a single boon of me. Ask and I shall grant it. But be cautious, what is asked comes with a burden."

"I was ousted from the Wonderbolts by Spitfire. All I ask is the means to throw her down, shear off her wings and claim her pinions as my trophies. I shall lead them in your name as the vanguard for your glorious armies."

Nightmare Moon thought for a moment. "Very well, my loyal servant. I shall grant you the power you seek to throw down this Spitfire. But fail me and it shall be your pinions that will adorn my crown as a trophy." She extended a finger and a single drop of the blackest black, darker than a moonless night, fell from her claw.

The black drop landed on Cumulonimbus' head and soaked in. A few seconds later inky black miasma began oozing forth from his mouth and nostrils.

"I rename you Blackstorm. Go forth and seek your vengeance." Nightmare Moon took flight out to wreak her wrath upon the solar half-dragon and her daughters.

Author's Note:

So now Sunset and Twilight have met the major players.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment