• Published 31st Oct 2022
  • 300 Views, 0 Comments

Herding Inquiries - Askre



Octavia hears about a herd being formed. She wants in.

  • ...
 0
 300

Epilogue - Settling in

It was late in the morning when Octavia finally woke up. She was usually a morning pony who woke up the moment the first rays of the sun began peeking over the horizon. The mare yawned and shook her head to get the unkempt top of her mane out of her eyes, then crawled out of bed, feeling as if she should just return to it.

The pony threw on her dressing gown and made her way out of the bedroom. She headed straight to the downstairs bathroom, but to her dismay, it was locked.

“I’m almost done,” came a quiet response, indicating it was Private who was the occupant.

Shrugging, the cellist headed for the kitchen instead. Might as well start the day with a cup of tea since she couldn't start it with a shower.

Dreams of a quiet wait for the bathroom while sipping tea were, however, shattered the moment she entered the kitchen. The instant she entered, a package of blue fuss with wings named Blue Axe was immediately given to her. Behind the gift was Dew Doe, who was wearing an apron.

“Here, hold that,” was all the Pegasus mare said as she turned around to clean up the most unholy of all messes. A blend of milk, applesauce, and porridge was strewn across the kitchen floor, table and highchair. Nearby was an overturned bowl, the spoon managing to stick vertically up in one of the biggest piles.

It was then that it dawned on Octavia that the foal she had been given was also covered in a mess and was currently cuddling her long mane, all while babbling and giggling away. Clearly, the little colt was very pleased with himself.

“You're evil,” Octavia whispered as she realized that she was getting sticky foal breakfast blend in her mane.

“No, I'm just training you,” Dew said as she continued to clean up the mess, which was followed by a smirk.

“Training me? In what, getting messy during the morning?” the cellist protested and surrendered to hug the foal when the colt hugged her, smearing more mess all over her.

“No, well, that too, but now that you are part of this family, better get used to the chaos,” the blue mare pointed out and giggled when seeing Octavia’s face.

“I thought Sombra was part of this family, not Discord,” the gray pony pretended to grumble. Dew laughed and Octavia smiled. She had already witnessed the messes Blue Axe could make when eating. However, Dew was often more content with letting Private or Sombra hold the sticky child while she cleaned up. Sometimes she even had either of them do both and she just sat back and relaxed.

Figuring she might as well, Octavia got a cloth and started to clean up the worst mess on the foal. He would need a bath to be properly clean, but since the bathroom was currently occupied, this would have to do for now.

“I think I'm coming down with something. I felt a little lightheaded again when I woke up this morning,” Dew mentioned as she finished cleaning the table.

“Oh dear, hope it’s nothing serious,” the cellist said, engaging in a brief tug-o-war with Blue Axe over the cloth. The colt apparently figured he could clean himself on his own.

Dew just nodded in response. At that moment, Private entered the kitchen. The stallion stopped for a short moment, beholding the mess the pegasus was cleaning. Then without a word, grabbed a cloth and started helping get what remained.

“Well, since the bathroom is unoccupied, I'll go take a shower,” Octavia announced and then held up Blue Axe, who was mostly clean now, babbling happily as he waved the dirty cloth. He had won the war over it. “And I'll take him with me.”

Octavia turned around and left the kitchen, meeting Sombra, who was on his way down. The dark pony just arched his brow when seeing the mare and the boy as they made their way to the bathroom.

The shower took a little longer than usual since the mare was now also cleaning Blue Axe. The foal far more enjoyed splashing the water than actually being cleaned by it. By the end, Octavia had to take a moment to dry up the now-flooded bathroom floor.

Once both were dry, the mare took the colt to the living room, intending to put him in the playpen. Sombra was already there, reading a book.

“Dew Doe decided to go ahead and see a doctor about her dizzy spells. Private has already gone to work,” the dark pony informed her. “I can watch Blue Axe. You go get yourself some breakfast.”

“Thanks,” Octavia put the colt down, who immediately grabbed his rattle and started banging it on a set of blocks. The mare just chuckled at his antics, then headed back to the kitchen to finally make herself some tea and breakfast.

Octavia definitely felt like she was settling in. She and Dew could spend hours in the kitchen over tea and just talk. Private enjoyed listening to her practice on the cello. Sombra was even starting to take her out on dates, though whether more would come of it was still up in the air. Blue Axe didn’t mind her at all.

She still missed her sister a bit, but Vinyl made a point of visiting regularly and Octavia did go to Ponyville often enough as well.

Once breakfast was done, the mare returned to the living room. Sombra now lay by the playpen watching Blue Axe play with his toys. Octavia went to pick up a book from the shelf and read a little.

Around noon Dew Doe returned home. Octavia was still reading, but Sombra had recently returned to the living room after taking Blue Axe to the nursery for a nap. Both ponies looked questionably at the pegasus, who looked a little stunned.

“Everything alright?” Octavia asked, arching a brow when Dew Doe slowly fixed her gaze on Sombra.

“I’m pregnant,” Dew Doe simply declared. Causing Sombra to freeze in shock, Octavia gasped, but wasn’t sure if she should congratulate the pegasus or just remain silent. Seemed like this had been very unexpected and unplanned.

“Soo, congrats? Ooor…” Octavia carefully said. Sombra looked now like he wanted to sink into the ground out of embarrassment. Suddenly Dew burst out laughing.

“Oh, I wish I had a picture of your face, Sombra. No, I'm not pregnant. I just had low blood sugar, need to switch my diet up,” the pegasus giggled and walked to a seat to sit down. Sombra did not comment, just quickly nodded.

“He wants kids, but doesn’t think he should have them with me. As far as he’s concerned, I’m Private’s,” Dew Doe quietly relayed to Octavia. “However, I had dizzy spells when I got pregnant with Blue Axe and Sombra was worried I might be pregnant again. Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.”

“Ooooh,” Octavia realized the joke now and chuckled. “I did say you are evil.”

Dew Doe grinned innocently and looked at Sombra, who was shaking his head now. “We need to get him to lighten up. He’s so serious all the time.”

“I’ll take your criticism under advisement,” Sombra remarked. “And don’t scare me like that again.”

“After all the times you scared us? I think I’m owed a few moments,” Dew Doe stuck her tongue out at the dark pony, who chuckled.

Yep, joining this group was a good decision, Octavia chuckled and watched for a moment as Dew and Sombra kept ribbing each other. Then she picked up the book again and resumed reading.

“By the way Sombra, if you want kids, you know where my bedroom is,” she couldn’t help shooting in.

“I may have to take you up on that,” Sombra fired right back.

“I can’t wait,” the earth pony grinned.

“Why wait?”

Octavia barely had time to register what was happening. Suddenly shadowy tendrils grabbed her and she and Sombra disappeared from the living room, leaving behind a laughing Dew Doe.

The end

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment