• Published 14th Oct 2022
  • 242 Views, 0 Comments

To Tame a Substitute Queen - AizakkuHorooee



Aita, Sunset and Twilight are all called by the map to solve a problem regarding the relationship between Chrysalis and her substitute.

  • ...
 0
 242

Chapter V

Carve and Sunset finally come up to the throne room up to me, Chrysalis and Twilight.

“Hey Chrysalis, Carve and I thought it over-” Chrysalis stops Sunset by raising her hoof. “Huh?”

“Will you join Aita and Twilight while we have a heart-to-heart?”

Sunset does what Chrysalis asks, who begins moving her wings to mimic an acoustic guitar playing through a phonograph. Carve approaches Chrysalis with hope in her eyes, Chrysalis soon after beginning to sing, starting with only one voice rather than the usual two.

My dearest stand-in queen,
you’ve come a long long way;
but what I don’t understand
is what you seemed to say.

Chrysalis’ wings now sound like that one finger bass was added to the music. I think it was the bass that played during the test run scene from Double Rainboom.

Your popping in and out,
sincerely had to end:
but I never meant to let that
fester in your head.

And now, the second voice joins in for the harmony for what I can only guess is the chorus.

You’ll never let me down
just as long as we’re a team.
I never would’ve thought
you’d ever wind up off the stream.

But to me, you’ll never lose your way
if I show you where to start,
‘cause I can help you find
who you are.

On the last line of the chorus, the second voice drops out until the next time the chorus plays again.

My Carve, I’ve seen your life
go by without a beat,
from the times we’d reunite,
to our greatest feats.

There’s nothing left to fret
with ponies side by side.
I would never miss the chance
to be your very guide.

During the rest of the song, the chorus actually plays twice after that second verse, the final time around slowing down to come to a close. In the meantime, Carve appears to grow a smile on her face. Through the whole song, Chrysalis has her left hoof resting on Carve’s upper back, sending a message of affection to her.

Carve hugs Chrysalis when the song ends. “Thanks, Chrysalis! Thank you so much!”

“I knew you needed something that would help you understand; I’m asking as more than just a queen, but a friend: are you willing to assist me in fulfilling my royal duties when the time comes?”

“Yes… I understand. I’ll be right with you when you need me most! And you’re right Chrysalis! We are a team!”

“Very good, Carve. I’m very pleased to hear you recognize that.” Chrysalis wraps her left hoof around Carve.

As they hug, I hear that strange shimmering sound from when Twilight was preparing to play cards with me before this whole map quest started. Twilight looks at her and Sunset’s cutie marks, which are glowing, then turns her attention to the saddlebag.

“You know what that means, right Aita?” Twilight asks, showing me my glowing stylus.

“Looks like we all did it: a job well done.”

“Who would’ve known my geode’s superpower was still useful in your world, Twilight. I can’t wait to get back to my world and tell our friends about this adventure. So what are you and Aita gonna do when you get home?”

“Well, we were gonna play a classic game of War before being summoned. You still are up to that, right Aita?”

“How could I not be? After all this, I could play something autonomous.”

“Sounds good. You ready then?”

I nod at Twilight.

“Wait… all of you,” Chrysalis interrupts. “I would like to thank you one last time for helping me out with Carve. I couldn’t have done it without you. I’ll be sure to make time to visit you.”

“Happy to help,” Twilight replies. “Aita, Sunset, and I look forward to seeing you again. For now, it’s time we got home.”

Chrysalis waves the hoof she wrapped around Carve as a sign of approval. “Understood. See you all soon.”

So Twilight, Sunset and I finally start our journey back home.


Back at the castle, the three of us finally enter the library to take Sunset home, Twilight taking my DS out of her saddlebag and putting it atop the mirror to let it charge.

In the air, I wipe sweat off my forehead. “Whew, it’s good to be back.”

“You said it.” Twilight turns to Sunset. “Do you plan on visiting soon? I know this probably wasn’t the best time, but when it is, will you?”

“I might visit for the weekend. If you need me before that, I’m only one message away.”

“Actually, are you running out of pages?” Twilight asks, pulling Sunset’s journal out of the backpack near the roundtable.

Sunset takes the journal and flips through the pages. “Sure, there’s only a few left in here.”

“Okay. Once Aita and I are done playing cards, I’ll order you a new journal.”

“Thanks, Twilight. I should be back in a day or two to visit. That could be my last chance before I have to switch gears and prepare for regents. I’ll also make sure our friends plan more cookouts for you, Aita. I remember you really enjoyed it.”

I giggle a little at the idea to go to Sunset’s Canterlot again. I did have a good time, didn’t I… at least until you-know-who texted the entire CHS student body over a visit to the nurse’s office- okay, that turned sour quick, and Twilight and Sunset definitely noticed.

Twilight pats my back, trying to bring my mood back up. “It’s okay, Aita. Hopefully Thorax is filling the role of superintendent nicely.”

“So far, that’s how things have gone with him from what I hear,” Sunset adds. “Now I’ve got to get back home. Don’t want to miss that new Daring Do movie.”

So, Sunset walks to the mirror and goes through, Twilight holding the DS steady meanwhile so it doesn’t fall off like it did when Sunset initially came back to Equestria.

I turn around and look up to Twilight. I know what this means: some good ol’ card games. She smiles as if she knows exactly what I’m thinking.

“Wanna go play cards?” she asks me.

“Do we?!?” Starlight and Spike interrupt us from behind.

“Starlight and I have been lookin’ all over for you guys. Where were you anyway?”

“Carve and Chrysalis had some royal tension, and we and Sunset Shimmer got them to understand each other more to ease that tension! Did I mention I was there with Twilight and Sunset?!? I can’t believe the map uses my sty-!”

“Wait,” Starlight interrupts. “The map called you? And who’s Sunset Shimmer?”

“Twilight,” I play-whine. “You didn’t tell Starlight?”

“Pf-uh- I thought she knew.”

Twilight and I share a laugh after that pseudo-banter.

“Come on now, anyone besides me and Aita up for a game of War?”

Twilight and I walk past Spike and Starlight, the former immediately joining us. “Count me in.”

“Right behind you guys,” Starlight announces.

So the four us finally head off to the dining room to play, Twilight teleporting in her double deck of playing cards for us to use before closing the library doors, the DS left on the mirror to charge while we play.

Man, today’s been a long day, so there’s no better way to cap it off than with a nice, relaxing card game with my three closest friends.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment